[P] Th' loove ay mah life
For Battalion
On go rivers - On goes the silent flow - Come, my love - Now it's calm enough to go

OOC: Late-August
[Image: sdl64hH.png]

The Wee Lass dipped up and down where she was anchored, lifting and dropping by the slow push of the tide, as if breathing steadily as she watched her sailor get to work. Clyde's breathing was also even as the man took in the delightful scent of coastal sands mixed with the sharp, salty stink of the fish he'd caught so far. Little fishes, their scales a shimmering prismatic of colours, but small enough to be eaten in one go. Like little snacks, Clyde had discovered the smelt after coming across from his homeland, finding them to be an easy catch with perhaps not the nutrition of some of the larger game but a decent supply builder. He could remember catching them by the net-full in the past, showing off his work to his fellow sailors and watching with guffaw as some would grab a whole handful of smelt and shove them into their mouth. 

Orca would probably do the same, once Clyde got the boy a nice smelt feast, but the boy would have a supply of other food now that they had the support of a pack. Although Clyde was certain Orca would still choose to just devour fish all day, the growing lad could also enjoy some land-foods should he choose. 

That required Orca to go on land though, to which the boy was still hesistant to do, usually just following Clyde to the Fort and then back to the ship to rest. Clyde's son was resting on the Wee Lass right now, curled up on the deck but out of sight, no doubt taking time to decompress from the changes he'd been brave enough to take on. Clyde wouldn't rush his boy, already proud enough of the steps Orca had taken in joining the Caledonians, so he'd surprise him with lots of smelt tonight to show how loved the giant boy was. 

The old man's hands worked on fishing a small hole in his net, ready to take it back out across the waters to see what little fish he could pick up along the way. 

Battalion's heart was in a weird place, her loyalty to her newfound home already coming into question, and she felt the twist in her gut that told her that anxiety was gripping her tight. The long-earred wolf wasn't sure if stress could kill her, but if it could then she figured she'd maybe make it to her third birthday but not much past it.

Why had she come back to the shoreline? The blue-eyed hunter had thought that she might stare out at the water to try and reset the moment in her head. Maybe it would be more calming, maybe it could be pleasantly different this time and thus she could let some of the stress ease out of her body. This was the most tense she had been since joining New Caledonia and she had been so relieved when she first joined to have it gone. Every muscle in her body ached with tension, though, and she wasn't sure what she needed to do to release it when the source of her anxiety was impossible to remove.

A familiar sight made her smile slightly, her tail waving a couple of times at the familiar spotted dog. It seemed that either she had convinced him or he'd already been convinced to weigh anchor at New Caledonia, as he was now here quite comfortably anchored by their shores. She walked toward him, waving her hand if he looked her way but otherwise assuming that he would hear her approach. Even a canine very focused on their task at hand would have a hard time missing the sound of someone walking that wasn't trying to hide it.

"You joined! It's so good to see you again, Clyde. How've you been? How's Orca?" she didn't see the wolf pup, but assumed he was nearby.

When violet eyes get brighter
And heavy wings grow lighter
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again
On go rivers - On goes the silent flow - Come, my love - Now it's calm enough to go

OOC: Late-August

Clyde's hand dipped into the pouch on his overalls, rummaging around until he found some more thread, his eyes focusing on the small hole to repair it. The whole net clinked a little as Clyde pulled it up further up his lap, making the stone weights knock together a bit, covered in bits of seaweed and dried multiple times over to have a layer of salt to them. With a pack now, Clyde could probably invest in getting better nets; his one was getting pretty ancient now as far as fishing equipment was concerned. He imagined New Caledonia would act at least a bit like the Maraiche when it came to helping members; Clyde could give them all the fish they needed and offer them the trade-by-sea, in return he just needed their resources to keep his tools in check and a safe space to relax. 

Already others had shown some keen interest in what the old scotsman could offer, making Clyde realise that perhaps the Caledonians would benefit from having the Wee Lass around as much as Clyde would enjoy their company and chance to port. Just as he finished fixing up the hole, he heard the sand behind begin to shift with a disturbance. The old dog glanced behind, before laughing loud and raising his hat to wave. 

It was Battalion! The wonderful lass who'd recommended this place and enjoyed Clyde's roasted salmon. 

"Aye! Hullo! Battalion me lass! S'good tae see ye!" He called over, chuckling as he replaced his hat and shuffled along his wooden log seat to offer some space to the younger woman. 

"Nae baud, nae baud. The laddie is sleepin' ower thaur on th' boat." Clyde explained, gesturing towards the anchored ship, then giving Bat a side smile. "S'been a lot fur th' lad. So he's takin' it easy." Sighing with content, Clyde then perked up and gave Bat's leg a soft pat. 

"Hou's yerself then aye? Tried anymair fish?"

Spending time with Clyde was just the distraction she needed from her frustrated thoughts. The feeling of ill ease loosened slightly in her belly. There was a train of thought that tried to speed the tension back up again, but she forcefully derailed it. Let those thoughts go for now. The long-earred Commoner would try to be present in the moment with her packmate instead of stewing in her bad feelings.

Her tail waved delightedly behind her as he greeted her with a wave of his hat, seeming happy to see her as she was to see him. There was a warm feeling in her belly that was helping overwhelm the tension; this was a good thing, to spend time with someone she had liked on first encounter. Like Odie, she felt she had an instant connection with Clyde that would make them friends if they weren't already. Though she figured she'd have to work a bit harder (though gently) on Orca, who was shyer than any cub she had ever met. Maybe now that they were Caledonians he'd settle into the rhythm of pack life.

She moved to sit beside him when he patted the spot, listening to his heavily accented speech. It was hard to decipher sometimes, but she was slowly capturing more of what he said. Slowly being the key word because she was sometimes just guessing based on context of what she did understand. Tali glanced at the boat where Ora snoozed, empathizing with being young and needing rest after a big change. She had probably been like that when she had been scooped up by the trading band and her lifestyle had changed dramatically.

Before her thoughts could take that dark tunnel of memories, Clyde patted her leg and asked how she was. She smiled, appreciating the casual touch because it felt familiar and friendly, reinforcing her feeling that their friendship was like hers with Odie: easy and quickly formed. "I've been... alright. My head's in a weird spot today, but much better now that I am spending time with you." her tail thumped against the wood a couple of times. "I haven't had any more fish because unfortunately I am not a good fisher and so far I haven't met anyone except you who is. If I can help in some way to catch some, though, I'd be happy to take fish as payment."

OOC: Late-August - Seine Fishing Ref

Clyde was a social man, he thrived off spending time with others, sharing stories but also boosting spirits. The Maraiche were, beyond their love of the Sea, a caring people. They sailed together, shared their spoils with each other, and would go out of their way to help even a stranger in need. Clyde was no exception, even if he'd spent his early years daring the Sea on his own in order to avoid being weighed down by a crew, now that he was older he couldn't imagine going back to such a life. Orca had been a blessing for company, yet now Clyde could also form new friendships from the folk in New Caledonia too, perhaps form a good crew should those from the Realm be interested in some sailing. 

Battalion had a special place as the one who had more or less invited them to the pack, along with her compliments to the old man's cooking, Clyde could feel a good heart in the younger woman. She enjoyed his company as well, getting a smile from Clyde before then offering to help should he need it. Clyde was efficient enough to get jobs done on his own, an important skill after being alone for so long, but to his core he found more meaning out of teamwork and teaching others. "We'll gie ye oot o' 'at weird spot. Got some guid fesh tae fin' haur, sae ay'd gladly tak' yer help." He commented, then huffing as he got up to his feet to hold up some of the net. The whole thing spanned a good twenty feet and had an impressive weight to it given the stone and wood used for the weights and floats for the net. 

Clyde cleared his throat, holding a piece of the net up to gesture to Battalion. "Noo 'en. Thes haur is a haul net. S'what we caul it back haem coz ye need tae haul arse when ye pull th' thin' back up tae shore when yer done." The old man chuckled, then dropping the net so that it was spread out across the sandy beach. "It's got these weights oan one end an' floats oan th' other. Each side ay th' net has got a pole fur us tae hauld. We hauld one each, 'en drag it thru' th' water. Sae yoo'll be gettin' a wee bit wet if yoo're up fur it." With the first part of instructions done, Clyde collected one pole end of the net and held it to Bat to take, ready to go to his end to begin dragging the long net towards the tide.

Bat was glad that Clyde didn't pry about why she had been in a bad mood. It wasn't something she was bursting to share with someone, especially someone new to the pack who she barely knew. Perhaps he would've had sage advice and maybe she'd scare him away from living with the Caledonians. Then again, maybe he'd agree with the presence of bandits in the pack; that would be worst, she thought. She wanted to like Clyde and she wasn't sure if she could like him if he condoned what Hokori did.

The dog accepted her help and she smiled more, figuring hard work would also help the bad feelings dissipate some. If she was too tired to think at the end of this, even better. Maybe she could sink into a deep dreamless sleep. Though she doubted it. Her entire body got tense at bedtime now, because the safe place she had made for herself didn't seem so safe anymore. Even if supposedly Hokori wouldn't harm or rob a packmate, she didn't feel great confidence. Those who found it acceptable to bludgeon others for their wealth or to sell their very bodies into slavery wasn't a good wolf. Regardless of what Hoko or the rest of the pack thought.

She listened carefully as he explained how to use the net, her thoughts fully taken up by learning about fishing in a way that was pleasantly distracting. Her gut loosened a bit more, comfortable in the presence of the fisher. Tali stood up to take the pole he offered her. "I am more than happy to get wet, cool down a bit. Your lighter coat probably isn't as bad, but I swear my fur draws the heat in like a fox to a rabbit." she remarked with a shake of her head. The Commoner tried to stand parallel to him so that they'd be moving the net at the same pace. It seemed like an interesting way to get fish. Obviously the smaller ones that came closer to shore.

OOC: Late-August - The amount of not-insignificant fishing research I did for this xD

When Orca was older and shifting, Clyde imagined this would be the kind of work the boy thrived in. He'd be tall enough to go in the deeper water and probably strong enough to hold the net. Plus with it being required to be in the water, Orca would find it all the more enjoyable, allowing the boy to work but in the element he felt most comfortable. After all... as much as Clyde wanted to make his son into a great sailor, he doubted Orca's size would help make that easy. Fishing though, was something the child could master, just like the great beasts who shared his name. 

Today however was about teaching Bat, and hopefully getting a good lot of fish, so Clyde focused on the best way of making haul net fishing easy. Battalion seemed up for it, eager to go into the water and get wet, so Clyde continued the lesson by the visual side of just showing her how to hold the pole the right way round and how to approach the the water. 

"Noo 'en, we're gonna tak' th' net intae th' water, 'til we're abit up to our bellies." Clyde explained, walking away from Battalion until the net was as far at it could go, and was beginning to lift off the ground a bit. This put strain immediately on Clyde's arms, and no doubt Bat's too, as they had to contend with the weight of the stones attached to the haul net. "'En we droop th' net, lit it sink doon, an' drag it back wi' us tae shore nice an' slow." He called over, giving an exaggerated nod he hoped Bat could see. 

"Awight... when yer ready lass. Let's goo."

OOC:
I feel ya! Me with hunting for Bat, lol.

IC:
All of her focus had to go into what she was doing or she was going to botch this big time. Although Clyde seemed the sort to accept some failing as you learned, Tali wanted to come across well. Hopefully she could continue to learn more about fishing from him as the days continued and he spent more time in Caledonia. Briefly she considered that she might not stay here... but that was a worry for another time. Right now she was fishing and that was all she'd allow her brain to focus on.

She listened carefully to his instruction, moving into the water and enjoying the crisp feel of it against her fur and skin. It was nice right now. Before too long, autumn would overtake the hot days with cool ones and it would be less pleasant. It'd be impossible to even enter the sea when it was winter, she figured. Tali would have to ask Clyde what he planned to do when it got cold. Though presumably year round fishing was a thing? As long as there was flowing water, his boat could move through it...

The Commoner drooped the net in the water as instructed, which made her arms happy they were no longer holding it. The water pulled at it somewhat, but the holes in the netting made some of it filter through so it was less strain than holding the whole weight of it above the water. Battalion nodded back to Clyde when he said it was time to move forward and she slowly started to move the net along with him. Hopefully they'd catch a decent batch of fish; her stomach rumbled eagerly at the thought.

OOC: Late-August - Kinda makes me wanna go fish now xD

Whilst Clyde was a man of sailing before fishing, it was in his genes to catch fish with nets or lines, and the thrill never ceased to be exciting. The moment they let the net drop to the sea floor, watching it be positioned almost vertically with the floats keeping it up in place, Clyde's smile began to grow. "Alright noo lass, time tae haul it back!" He called over, turning himself around to began dragging the net back towards the shore with them. Realistically a haul net like this worked better when one end was attached to a ship, allowing for it to go out deeper, but right now the little smelts were schooling right near the coastline. A good catch might take them a few tries, but Clyde was confident that they'd not get back to the shore with an empty net. 

His arms worked hard, strained but remaining strong, age not yet effecting what had been years of working like this. Though Clyde's beard puffed out with his heavy breaths, his body was ready to keep going. They got to the more shallow part, where the water reached their hips, before Clyde looked back to Bat. "Noo we come together, git them all caught in a loop!" He instructed, moving himself sideways to start heading towards Battalion, causing the haul net to form a circle, thus making it impossible for any fish caught by the net to escape. Though the water still hid them, Clyde could make out some small shimmering movements beneath the surface. 

"Can ye see 'em lass?" Clyde asked, nodding his head to their net. "Wee little fish. Smelts those ur, tasty wee things." The further up the shore they got, the more teardrop shaped the net became, until finally it breached enough to begin dragging the fish above the surface as well. A couple of dozen at least, all beginning to thrash above the foamy tide. "Keep haulin' lass, we want them up on th' sand." The old man instructed, helping Battalion pull the net up the last few steps before letting go and sighing. That sigh soon became a chuckle as Clyde moved forward to check their catch. "Och! A good 'un! Want tae try a wee smelt?" Clyde asked, picking up one of the small and flailing fish to show Bat. "Ah can cook 'em, but they taste guid fresh."

It required a lot of upper body strength to move the net and she was grateful for her regular archery that had strengthened her arms. Unfortunately they weren't the exact same muscles. Undoubtedly she'd be sore tomorrow. The long-earred wolf didn't mind having a sore body, though, when it was because of something worthwhile. Spending time with Clyde and learning to fish were both worthwhile ventures.

As they hauled, she tried to remember to take deep breaths, but she still felt fairly winded when they got closer to shore. Bat was grateful for the coolness of the water that kept her from overheating. Doing this without cool water around her would've been hell in the summertime. Though she wasn't sure what she could even attempt to catch like this on land. At Clyde's direction, she pulled her side of the net toward his side to help capture them in a loop. This felt easier, as it wasn't pushing against the tide trying to pull them out to sea. When they were close together again, she smiled. "I'm impressed you do this all the time, Clyde, I'm going to be sleep hard tonight." she assumed they would do this more than once. Maybe if she stopped now she wouldn't sleep hard, but a few more times? Yeah, she was going to be out by sunset.

She peered into the water and saw some shimmery movement that she assumed was fish. "We got a few." she said, wondering if she had kept them from getting more with her inexperience. They kept hauling, the net feeling heavier as it moved back out of the water. Bat held her own, though, hauling until it was time to release them onto the sand. She panted a bit, then, to help alleviate some of the heat building up in her body now that she was out of the water again. Her soggy tail wagged excitedly as she looked at their catch. There were more than she had initially thought.

Smelt, she wasn't sure she had ever tried a fish called smelt. Though maybe she just hadn't known it was called that. She grabbed her own wiggly fish and popped it in her mouth. It wiggled for a bit in her mouth which was an odd sensation. The taste itself was oily and definitely different from salmon. She licked her lips. "Very tasty! I can see why you catch them." she tipped her head. "Although your cooked salmon will remain my favorite."

OOC: Late-August - stuff here

Fishing was both an easy method of getting good food but came with the complication of having the skill, luck and endurance to see it through. The land might offer good hunting chances and food from the earth, but the food from the Sea just had a different gift to it. Fish was full of good and healthy stuff, as if the Sea herself forged fish to be the perfect blend for those daring enough to catch them. Clyde would accept her blessings happily, enjoying the feeling of hard work and stinky fish to make him feel alive. Bat wasn't fairing as well as the seasoned fisherman but that was understandable for her first try. He gave Bat a friendly nudge when they were shoulder to shoulder and hauling the net up the shore, a smirk curling under his fluffy beard. 

"Aye but yer doin' a heckin' guid job fur yer first time lass!" He replied, puffing out his cheeks a bit as they finished pulling it up. "Och, but yer dornt get big strang arms loch these withit a lot o' workin' nets!" Clyde added, showing off his lean and muscular arms in a flex, then chuckling. "Keeps me ol' bones frae fallin' asleep too!"

With the fish on the shore, their final flails would soon die down, so Clyde left Battalion to try her first smelt whilst he collected his barrel to add their catch to it. "Aye salmon is ay gem o' a fish." Clyde agreed. "Abit harder tae catch 'en a smelt, but if ye want tae join me fur some salmon fishin' lit me ken. We can go sometime." Not much could beat a salmon in Clyde's opinion, those that could were usually a rarer catch out at sea anyway. 

Settling down in the sands by his barrel, Clyde patted the sand nearby for Bat to join him. "Thenk ye for the help lass, yer feelin' a wee bit better now aye?"

If she started fishing regularly with Clyde, she was sure she'd build up the muscles to work alongside him more efficiently. That didn't seem likely to happen. He wasn't going to be in New Caledonia all the time, since he was going to surely take the Wee Lass out on adventures. Besides, she had her own tasks to tend. Her occasional help wasn't going to make her as strong as Clyde, but she could always assist. She was sure even with the strength of his fish-catching arms, it was nice to not work alone. Although Orca would be able to help soon, she thought, if he wasn't already.

"I would love to try salmon fishing too! I haven't... ever been out on a boat, actually, so that could be a very interesting experience." hopefully a positive one, considering she had heard tales of seasickness. Although the good news was she wasn't going across the ocean where she'd be stuck on the ship for any long period of time. She'd be able to come back to shore quickly if her stomach decided it was firmly a landlubber.

The long-earred Commoner went to sit by Clyde when he patted the sand, her ears twitching anxiously when what he said reminded her that she had been upset. It would've come back on its own soon, once they weren't talking fish. She nodded to his question, though. "It definitely helped. Although I really am going to have to just... come to cope with it. There's someone in the pack that did me wrong when I was a loner, and I don't know how to feel about it." she didn't want to throw Hokori's name out there, because she was afraid of repercussions; Clyde seemed like a safe enough person to tell about it in general terms, though.

OOC: stuff here

Clyde had always known how to fish, a Maraiche was taught to hold onto a net from the moment they could comprehend it, the foundations of fishing were deep in the old man's history. He was no Reilly, but the desire to catch what the Sea could offer him had never gone away. However... it had never been a deep desire for Clyde, who saw fishing as more a means to an end than a choice of life, up until he'd met a woman from the Reilly clan. That had changed things; her drive to catch the wonders of the Sea, to feel accomplished by what treasure she could reveal. It made Clyde feel like fishing could be just as exciting as exploring a new island, perhaps even more so... given fish was it's own reward once caught. 

"A boat isnae tay bad." Clyde reassured Battalion, smiling lightly. "Fur fishin' we dornt go far, an' keep th' ship still, nae too wobbly fur yer gut." Whilst Clyde himself could claim he'd never been sea-sick in his life, he'd also been born to a people who practically lived on boats, he knew the same couldn't be said for others. "We can go next Spring. Efter th' freeze." Clyde suggested, wanting to make sure he had the time to prepare a nice trip for his friend. 

Bringing back a topic that upset Bat wasn't Clyde trying to get her feeling sad once more, but more wondering if she might be in a better headspace now to explain it a bit and perhaps feel better by doing so, the old man ready to listen and grant advice if needed. The issue seemed understandable; tension with another member of the pack, that Bat was confident she just needed to get over in her own time. 

The fisherman nodded, making a clicking sound with his lip. "Ach, soonds leik a mingin' problem." He agreed, "A few folk back in me ol' haem werenae too nice... but ah worked aroound 'em. Worked fur me." The old man explained. "Yer get enough confidence in yerself lassie, yer might find it all sloowly goos away."

Battalion liked the idea of a Springtime jaunt into open water to try out deeper sea fishing. "I'll hold you to that, Clyde. Orca is going to be so big by springtime." she said with a laugh. The boy was already large for his age so inevitably he'd be very large as he got older. Soon, she was sure, he'd shift into a two-legged form... she wondered how the shy boy would do with that. Hopefully well. He had a good parent to help guide him through it.

Working around this particular situation was going to be... tricky. Hoko was confident in her position within the pack, she was much higher ranking and better connected than Bat. If one of them was going to get the boot, it'd be the new wolf who'd find herself without a home rather than the big bulking bully. The trader was aware of that and had every intention of being careful regarding her exposure to the Reaver. She'd do her best to not get herself into any trouble. If she decided to leave New Caledonia eventually because of it, it would be on her own terms; not because she had started something with Hokori.

"It's... frustrating. I guess there's more of that in packs than I realized, finding canines you don't like and having to work around them. Hopefully there aren't too many of those here in New Caledonia. It'd be hard to avoid most of the pack." she shook her head. "Most of the ones I've met are great, though. Yourself included. I'm glad you and Orca are with us now." they would be safer here than out on their own as winter struck. Not that she thought Clyde couldn't take care of himself... it was more taking care of himself and a youngster that would've worried her. They were safe here, though. Hell, here Hokori would even defend them.