[P] [LCSS] I must have more than this provincial life.
Freddy v Battalion
The long-earred New Caledonian had been in a good mood when she signed up for the Fight Night event. It had seemed like something to use to test her mettle and skills, small as they were. It wasn't like she had prime opportunities to trade with members of other packs any other time. She had hoped that she would be matched with someone that wasn't from New Caledonia. Of course she had known that they wouldn't pair her with Hokori, because that would've made her wildly outmatched. Seeing someone just wipe the floor with her would be entertaining for no one, least of all her.

Instead, as they arrived to the isle, she was paired up with a familiar face. Though she didn't greet him jovially because that just felt like it'd be awkward given the circumstances, she did give him a slight smile and a nod. It was good to face up against someone she had met. Some of the tension eased out of her. When they had last met, he had seemed friendly and not like the sort to play any dirty tricks. No matter what she had been told about Del Cenere, they seemed to keep their word about everything at the Stockshow. She had begun to wonder if their reputation was more tarnished than their group warranted.

She was tempted to look for Odie in the audience, sure he would be cheering her on as she had cheered him on at his matchup. There was no time, though, because the start of the fight was signaled and she needed to focus. Bat kept her blue eyes focused on the Del Cenere male, following him closely until it seemed like he was moving toward her. Then she moved toward him, intending to close the distance between them and try to sweep at his leg with hers. Unfortunately, his plan was better than hers and she missed in her attempt. Extra unfortunately, this also left her rather open for whatever move Frederick was attempting.

When violet eyes get brighter
And heavy wings grow lighter
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again
I want to believe - No, I choose to believe - That I was made to become - A sanctuary

OOC: Let's gooo

The Stockshow was different this year. If last year was just aiming to make a ripple, this year was making a splash, Freddy could just tell it was getting bigger. And bigger was better, but also risky... more chances for things to go wrong. It had been directly after the last Stockshow that Freddy's father had turned on him, attacked the pack whilst it was recovering from such a huge event. That would not happen this year, Freddy would refuse to let his pack suffer anything like it had last year, because he was a different man now. 

Focused, disciplined to the point of allowing himself no moment of 'fun' to instead just be as vigilant as possible. 

But then there were the Fight Nights. He'd not taken part in them last year, but the El Diente needed to try this year. He needed the information, the chance to see if his skill in fighting was up to the stuff of those from outside the Ashen pack. As others came to the Isle, night after night, Freddy sat in the corner of the room with his hood over his head and his keen eyes completely focused on the fights. Observing everyone's skills, trying to predict the winners based on strengths and weaknesses, but not for the sake of gambling. He was a mysterious entity during those nights; almost silent as he'd once been, yet known by his title as one of Del Cenere's best. 

Tonight he would have to prove it. His opponent was a face he recognised, but her skill was not, so Freddy entered the ring with the intention of giving Battalion no mercy. He pulled a bit on the wraps around his hands, rubbing a finger over the stump on his left hand, reminiscing for a moment about his struggles, before falling into complete focus. He moved first, small and fast, green eyes catching the moment Battalion picked her response and predicting the leg sweep. Knowing it was coming, Freddy made a wide step to the side, curling around his opponent to jab her in the ribs with an elbow shot, then continuing to dart past her so he could turn to face his opponent without consequence. A quick and sharp first blow, but the fight wasn't over yet.

Fredrick Knight

I want to take shelter but I'm ready, ready to fight.
Somewhere in the middle I feel a little paralyzed.
Feeling like a fool for being so obvious about her move, she was rightly jabbed in the ribs for her poor effort. It was an earned hit on his part and she was sure there'd be a bruise for her to remember it by tomorrow. Bruises were good, they were teaching tools. No serious injury was allowed here, which was good because he could have potentially done way worse. The girl winced and turned to face him, but he was already away. Frederick was fast, she'd remember that. Not that she hadn't known it before, but it was confirmed now. This was a brawl, whether friendly or not, and she had to focus more or shew as going to lose badly. Bat didn't mind losing in general, she was not a skilled fighter at all. She just didn't want to make a complete embarrassment of herself. This had probably been a bad idea...

She couldn't dwell on that right now, though. He had darted away and this time she watched him. Then as soon as he seemed about to make a move, she moved toward him again. This time she feinted a leg sweep, then jabbed with her fist toward his shoulder aiming to throw him off balance a bit. They had to get close and grapple more or they'd just chase each other around getting little pokes in until one of them passed out from too much cardio. Which wouldn't help her at all with her goal of trying to learn something of self-defense from this that she could use in the future. Most enemies weren't going to give you space over and over again. At least she didn't think they did... she really was quite out of her element. All she could do was hope that the fates were on her side and New Caledonia wouldn't be embarrassed of her at the end.

I want to believe - No, I choose to believe - That I was made to become - A sanctuary

Fire almost rolled under Freddy's skin as he turned to face Battalion again, assess what the next move would be, his green eyes unwavering in their stare at his opponent. His head glanced a bit towards her ribs and how she held herself, just to confirm that he'd not severely hurt the woman, before judging that she was fine. Freddy was decent at holding himself back; an art learnt from numerous spars against those in the Gang that he trained, but perhaps something instilled into him from Casa. From the First Blood he never recieved, though something he'd proven himself capable of winning many times over from his work in Del Cenere. 

Battalion was a unknown in Freddy's eye; he wouldn't consider her an easy victory or challenge until they got to the final blow. She might even win against him, the El Diente wouldn't take it as a personal loss however... he'd lost many a fight even against other Ashen and had learnt to not take it as a weakness on his part. Besides, Freddy was certain that if this was instead a battle of bloodshed and survival... he'd win. A fight for ones life and a fight for glory were so different that they might be different coins entirely. 

He began the next round with a lunge towards the woman, checking her feet for another kick. It came to sweep Freddy, but he dodged to the side, only to pull his ears back as Bat feinted with a solid punch to his shoulder that sent Freddy into a stumble. He still moved to the side, using the stumble to lower himself down into almost a crouch to then come launching back up with another attack... provided it could connect with his opponent.

Fredrick Knight

The blue-eyed Commoner didn't have any doubts at all that if this was a bloodied fight to the death, the results would be different. More unpredictable in many ways, because when one had death on the line they found reserves they never knew they had. This was all a game. At least... it was for her and Freddy. Some of the other Fight Nights, not as much. They had been well matched in both side and temperament, though. So although they fought with intent to win, neither of them was aiming to spill any blood intentionally under the guise of it being unintentional. They were more polite about it than maybe they should've been. Maybe it wasn't entertaining. Battalion felt rather intense being involved in it, though.

She felt a brief surge of success as her hit landed. He stumbled, as she had hoped. Bat watched as he utilized his stumble to crouch and come at her again. It was a good move and she would remember it. She had a flicker of just a few seconds to decide what to do in response. Should she meet him as he came at her, should she turn away, should she try to sweep his legs again? What was the best option? There wasn't time to stop and assess, so she did what felt right in that moment that she had to decide.

Tali kicked out at him, aiming to hit him close to the hip so that he would be off balance again. Then maybe she could get in another punch. Hopefully she wouldn't hurt him; worse even than losing would be harming someone unintentionally. She wasn't a fan of violence or fighting, never had been. Which was why she needed to learn self-defense now, because she'd never been interested in it or prioritized it before. She'd have to learn to stomach violence if she was going to survive out here.

Freddy wasn't much for doing anything to win. He'd not been all that competitive back when Casa held their own games, perhaps at the time only wishing to do well to prove himself, but here it was more just to see what he could do. If he won, he would only achieve the reward of others knowing that the El Diente was a skilled fighter, beyond what was already common knowledge. But if Battalion won? Perhaps the woman would get a confidence boost in herself and her capabilities. Practice more, become stronger, Freddy could honestly live with that. 

His body and mind were stressed and strained, wanting to be as perfect as he could be for his Ashen, but at this point he was also experienced enough to know that there was more to this than win or lose. And that within the walls of this building, throughout these fights, people had been battling as individuals rather than for any cause or pack. 

His spring up caught Bat by surprise, but the woman had a good counter with a kick of her foot. It landed on Freddy's hip, doing little in the way of damage but keeping him off balance enough to miss his chance at his own hit, causing the El Diente to side step and shuffle his feet around to get a better position before all of Battalion's knocks finally made him fall prone. 

Fredrick Knight

OOC:
GOOD FIGHT FREN! <3

IC:
Her intent of knocking him off balance with her kick was earned, but he was quick to respond. Battalion wondered if she should train with Freddy more. She thought there was a lot she could learn from him about recovering after taking a hit. If Hokori tried to teach her that, the burly she-wolf would probably knock her down and then be like "come on, just breathe" or something. It didn't seem to her like Frederick would do that. It was unfortunate that Del Cenere didn't welcome her kind here on a regular basis, so she probably couldn't actually train with him much.

Her thoughts weren't lingering on the future right now, though, they were very much in the present. Frederick came back at her with a flurry of blows that she blocked frantically. None of them landed in vulnerable spots, but she could tell that wasn't going to last forever. At some point, she was going to take a hit and she'd be down. The blue-eyed Commoner had to do something to stop the fight before it came to that. Although it was tempting to just see if her luck held out until Freddy got tired, she didn't want to chance it. Action was needed or she was likely to lose. Be bold, she thought to herself.

Right after she just managed to deflect a blow, the girl suddenly ducked and jumped. Battalion aimed to tackle and pin him. Either that or get around him so she could put her arm around his throat and force a yield. She figured both options would result in a win and an end to the Fight Night.

OOC: GG!

Lunging wasn't working for him. Freddy was fast but he'd need to think even faster to avoid Battalion's counters, which so far wasn't working for him, so it was time to switch it up. The El Diente had one more point to before he lost, so he needed to put the effort in now before it was all over. If he still lost? He wanted those watching to know he didn't make it easy. If he won? Well the same effect should occur. With a snarl, Freddy stood his ground against Battalion, clenching his fists tightly as he began the hurricane of attacks. Punch after punch, moves to the side and lashes to any part of the woman that Freddy thought he might be able to get to without hitting her defences. 

But Battalion was a wall, she blocked each hit, dodged the worst blows, getting more and more tired as Freddy continued to rain down hits but not letting any pass by to count against her. Freddy had the stamina from experience, in time he might be able to crack her defence enough to get in a hit, but there might not be a chance. 

His opponent ducked and, learning from Freddy's springing maneuver earlier, jumped up at the jackal to knock him down. Freddy was strong, but his size didn't allow him much chance to stand his ground, so he collapsed to the floor with Battalion on top of him. The impacted winded him and an arm found his neck to pin him in place, but the young man's eyes were wild. 

For a moment Freddy wasn't in the ring. He wasn't fighting for glory but for survival. He was being pinned by his father's savage lackey, being torn to ribbons. The El Diente snarled his teeth, letting out a gutteral growl and almost going to bite the arm that pinned him. 

But then reality kicked in, and Freddy blinked the fury from his eyes and lowered his lips, taking in a long breath. Ending it with a small smile. 

"G-good fight." He rasped up to Bat. 

Fredrick Knight

Her heart was beating fast in her chest, she thought she understood how a rabbit felt when it was under pressure to survive. Though this was just a mock battle. In a real battle, there would be teeth and claws and no desire to keep the other animal from injury. Battalion was reminded again of how woefully unprepared and uninterested she was in the idea of being a fighter. She didn't want to bare her teeth and slash at anyone with her claws. Tali just wanted to live a peaceful life among peaceful sorts and die in her sleep someday. Perhaps she wasn't ambitious enough, but having such simple dreams was its own sort of ambition.

Her maneuver had worked. Learning from previous experience, she had gotten the angle right this time and managed to knock him down. The wolf didn't hesitate to put an arm across his throat to mark herself as winner. She didn't want to choke him out til he passed out beneath her, but she didn't want to give him a chance to retaliate either. Though she did stiffen her shoulders and curl her other arm against her ribs in case he decided to jab at her from his prone position.

It surprised her to see the feral look in his eye when he was pinned. A deep fury appeared there, as if he was indeed going to fight for his life. It wasn't his life she was threatening, though, and the wolf's ears pinned back with concern. There was a snarl that made her shiver, the fur on the back of her neck rising instinctively and her head ducking more to cover her throat from the snap of teeth that she was sure was about to come. Battalion was more ready to leap off of him and get away from a flurry of teeth and claws than to try and defend herself longer, though. That wasn't what she had signed up to do.

Before she had to make that decision, though, the fury seemed to fade and his face looked normal again. Her own gaze remained worried as he told her that it had been a good fight. "Uh, thanks, Freddy." she replied, standing up and offering him a hand if he wanted it to stand. "You too. It was not easy." she remarked. Whatever shouting or cheering or booing was happening in the audience, she didn't hear it, she was more caught up in how her opponent was. Her victory felt soured by the way she had ended it. Perhaps there were hidden wounds there that she didn't know and she had caused him harm without meaning it. "You okay?"