[P] A flair for the dramatic.
for Jace!
What kind of canine would choose Hokori Tanaka to bind themselves to for the rest of their life? It was weird to her. Almost as weird as the fact that Hokori was apparently Dorian's sister which also meant Tora was Dorian's father. She had known his family was big, but it was really big and quite powerful. She would have to mull that over later and what it might mean for her connections to the other members of the family. Probably nothing. Despite her distaste for Hoko, she wasn't about to go causing problems with the burly Reaver. First of all, she'd lose miserably. Secondly, it would immediately put her at odds with New Caledonia. While there might be a "we allow bandits" policy, there wasn't a "we allow causing issues within our ranks" policy.

Her blue gaze followed the groom for a while, though. They seemed to be opposite in many ways, him and Hoko. Where she was burly and brash, he had a quick sprightly energy about him. Where she was muscular and ridiculously large, he was wiry and more reasonably sized. What was it that bound them together, then? What brought them before whatever gods they believed in to promise troth and share a bed? Battalion didn't get it. She didn't get romance in general, but come on, this was wild and weird.

For a brief moment, the groom was alone. Hokori wasn't near him and no one else had tugged him onto the dance floor. Tali was driven by a sudden desire to see if she could understand who he was and why he had taken the Reaver to his bed. So she walked toward him and offered a hand, smiling in a bit of a shy way as she said, "care for a dance?" feeling very out of her element. But sometimes you had to step outside of your comfort zone to get the answers you needed.

When violet eyes get brighter
And heavy wings grow lighter
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again
[+000] | Ooc: ehueheueh

┊He was living his life in a fog,
┊Oblivion’s welcoming arms;
┊His view of society marred,
┊No perception of forces at large.

Him. He was exactly the kind of canine that would bind himself to Hokori Tanaka. Far as he was concerned it spoke wildly about his own strength of character as well as labeled out his daring nerve and physical strength. Benji'd not died yet for being tossed about like a rag doll or crushed beneath her heaving bulk. Score one for himself. Who needed all their ribs intact anyways?

He watched her, when he wasn't dancing or chit-chatting to the people who felt like talking to him, his feelings all there and open on his face like some kind of nancy. Well that was all fine, anyone who spent even the barest amount of time near them was greeted to their dog and pony show. Wasn't like they were trying to hide nothing.

Picking at the morsels of food, he was left to himself for a scant moment and crammed as much as he could down his gullet before he'd be expected to rejoin the fray. Green swept the assembled and eyeballed the most likely suspects to disrupt Hoko's big day, not that he'd need to intervene at all as his beloved wife would show them the door... or more accurately, would show their bleeding corpses the door; Still, he wanted no bitten necks, even if, by opinion shared to him from several sources, the man had deserved it. A wedding was not a place to mete out justice deserved. Especially their wedding. Take that crap outside.

Peepers narrowed in on a well-wisher making a beeline straight for him. A masked woman. She had larger than average ears too, but honestly, no one could hold a candle to his own radar dishes that swooped forwards as she held out a hand and invited him to cut a path through the dance floor.

"T'be shure, Ma'am," Benji assented, taking her proffered hand in his own grabby mitt. He was, after all, on his best non-bastard behavior. His Mama would be proud.. if she were here, or knew he was getting married. Hmm, maybe he could get a message to her somehow.

Abandoning his post by the libations, he swept this mystery woman away to join the others in the fray, battling for their own space amongst the dancers. Introductions first, of course.

"I'm shure you're likely t'be knowin' my name, an' if not, I'm Benjamin Michael Winthrop, Hoko's husband." The man grinned widely and proudly at the last addition before continuing his little introduction, "Y'can call me Benji dhough, most ev'ryun else does."

While he was not such an established member of the Realm as some, he'd been around the block long enough to know who was newer than himself. Taking a quick turn, he spun them both gracefully, his lips twitching into a smile as they settled into the rhythm of the other dancers.

"An yerself? Can't say I've seen y'around here much like, Ma'am, but whut a fine a'ddishion y'make t'our exaulted Realm." Benji was obviously fishing for information, and made not an attempt to be secret at it, but his mouth split in an easy, charming grin, and he shrugged a shoulder laconically as if to say 'you know how it goes.'
Benjamin Michael Winthrop
Welcome, to your paradise;
avatar by Kiri | player wiki | character wiki
The blue-eyed Commoner noticed that he was ... polite. That felt so strange to her. The boisterous, burly Hokori had decided to marry someone with some class? Bat would've expected him to be as wildly behaved as his mate. Then again, they said opposites attracted, and it certainly seemed to be the case. Maybe he was just behaving in front of the crowd, though. Certainly Hokori was less "I'll take your shit" here than she had been out in the wilds. In fact, she'd given Battalion her stuff back. As if that made everything well again. It absolutely didn't. They were far from square.

"It is... good to meet you, Benji." she said, though she tasted the bitterness of her words as she said them. The taste of an untruth. Not quite a lie. In normal circumstances, she'd have been happy to meet another packmate and make a new connection. Instead, she felt as if she had already started on the wrong foot because he was Hokori's mate. Although he probably didn't know. She doubted "oh yeah haha I stole this girl's stuff then she joined the pack, hilarious, by the way here's her description and name." The two were probably too busy... snuggling or something. Ew, nope, not going down that road of thought.

He was not what she had expected at all. In other circumstances, she might've found his niceties pleasant and a little charming. It only confused her more as to how this guy was with that girl. Romance was truly the most baffling thing. Clearly it wasn't a marriage of convenience, they had looked smitten with each other all night. It wasn't like she could just say why the hell do you like her to Benjamin in the middle of his wedding reception, though. It wasn't in her nature to be rude.

"I'm Battalion, although no one ever calls me that. Taleon is the latest of my nicknames and my current favorite. Solveig came up with it." she remarked with a slight smile as she remembered the High Lady calling her that accidentally; it had stuck rather well though and she liked it. "Have you lived in the Realm long, then?" maybe he was new. Or had been here since he was a pup and had fallen for Hokori when they were younger? That might explain it. Though she suspected Hoko had been just as much of a bully when she was a big bumbling baby as she was now.

[+000] | Ooc: i am sorry this is short and bad and i took foreverr my badddd ;u;

┊He was living his life in a fog,
┊Oblivion’s welcoming arms;
┊His view of society marred,
┊No perception of forces at large.

➤ Something wasn't quite right with her, he could feel that, beneath his hands she was tense and stiff. Like a lil' rock. Her little greeting wasn't quite up to snuff either, thought she'd approached him, and he was the asked party here. He was... relatively sure he hadn't played her at dice, or cards, so there was no reason there for her to be edgy of him.

"S'good tuh meet'cha too, Ma'am." Taking a few more turns, he tried to recall where exactly he was placing her from. Some vague memory was niggling at the back of his brain, like a fish at the hook, but not quite biting, as would be courteous.

He let out a low, appreciative whistle, "Dhat's quite a name yuh got yerself dhere, Miss Taleon." Benji grinned, his head bobbing and his mass of hair shifting with the motion like the half-alive creature that it was, "'Course I am, el primero uno, on dhe sub'ject of long-type names." His grin widened, at least Benji was better than just being called Ben, Ben was a stupid name.

Squintling internally, Benji was reasonably sure that he at least hadn't stolen from her... oh. Oh. Ohhhh. She was the one Hoko had mentioned. Pressing his lips together, he did manage not to laugh about it which was very noble and self sacrificing of him, and covered up his sudden realization by abruptly spinning with her for a turn or two after which time he'd sufficiently gotten his working bits and pieces back under his control enough to answer her question without laughing in her face.

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I joined... uhhhhh, lemme think... earlier dhis year, I'm thinkin', 'cause dhere was snow still on th'ground when I got here t'join." It had been damn cold and they'd made him wait in the ice and snow under a tree for several days. "Pretty shure it ain't been a year yet."

Now here he was, an Aear.... A ear... was this some kind of joke though, honestly?

Tell me dhen, watcha thinkin' so far of our esteemed Realm?" As far as getting to know you questions went, it was pretty tame, but then, it wasn't like she'd go on and spill all of her deepest secrets to a literal stranger, that'd be nuts.
Benjamin Michael Winthrop
Welcome, to your paradise;
avatar by Kiri | player wiki | character wiki
This had probably been a mistake. The idea had seemed good before the dance but now that they were dancing... it felt wrong. Although certainly it was nothing like dancing with Hokori. The dark brute of a wolf had been rather aggressively leading their dance, whereas Benjamin was a much more considerate partner. Again, she wondered why he saw something worth marrying in Hokori. Admittedly she didn't know the bride all that well. Their encounters had been brief and uncomfortable. Even today, at the wedding, her dancing had been very brief and uncomfortable. Though there was a pattern to that which she didn't ignore and was the basis for her opinion.

His accent was kind of neat, she thought, and wondered where he had gotten it. He made a low whistle at her name and seemed impressed by the length of it, though she had to laugh when he spoke of his own name. Although she wasn't sure exactly what the Spanish part had meant, she recognized "uno" as meaning "one", so could sort of figure out what he had meant. "Yeah, I don't have a middle or last name, but if I did I'd try to compete. Maybe I'll have to come up with some." she said, relaxing marginally now that she was sure he wasn't much like Hokori at all. "Although I do recognize the fellow long named canine's here's a nickname right away response. There's one nickname I hate, so I make sure I give someone an option that isn't that."

She saw the way his lips pressed together and wondered what she had said that seemed to be causing him to hold in laughter. Was there a reason not to laugh? Was she being weird? Damnit, she was, wasn't she? The Commoner felt her anxiety spike, her guts twisting with sudden worry for how she was acting. Although she didn't need Benjamin to like her. She had friends here, she reminded herself, if Hokori and her mate didn't like Battalion that was alright. They didn't have to. It wouldn't mean they'd kick her out of New Caledonia. He spun her away and she tried to relax again. She reminded herself that she had sought out meeting him. This wasn't a forced encounter.

He had been here less than a year? Okay, well, then he wasn't too far ahead of her. Ahead of her still, sure, since she was brand spankin' new, but he hadn't been born here. Though the accent could've told her that. It wasn't as if New Caledonia had one common accent, but if they did it wasn't his. He was asking her a question in turn and she had to consider her answer for a moment. Especially without saying oh it's great except your hellion of a wife who stole all my shit when I was a loner. "It's been pretty great, so far. I ... used to travel with a trading group before coming here, it's nice to have stability. And a well-established pack that has a lot going for it. I'm eager to put my own skills to use here." it felt generic as she said it. "Although, I have to say, it's kinda weird getting used to living in a house. I've never done that before."

"Have you always lived in the area? I mean... obviously not New Caledonia, I realize you're not less than a year old, I meant nearby." she said with a chuckle, finding herself ... sort of enjoying her time getting to know Benji, which was wholly unexpected.