[P] [M] Feet moving forward, head looking back
[LCSS] Lossë

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Specifically, this thread is marked mature because of: Alcohol.
(+459)
Optime | DCG (Charmingtown — Ugly Coyote) | Dated: Sep 5th; evening | DCG pNPC: Alonso (background)

Related to [DCG+] Lancaster Stockshow 2022.

Kamari’s scent is disguised. Also note; this is set before the Odysseus vs. Dakota MacFarlane fight.
It was rowdy that evening in the Gang’s Ugly Coyote bar—or saloon, as she’d heard some of the coyotes refer to it as. The building was full of energy as old aquaintances and friends met up again, and as strangers started to warm up to each other. The sounds of shouts, laughter, and dull murmur of conversation blended with the clink and clatter of drinks and plates being served and collected once more. The air was thick with the scent of smoking tobacco, alcohol, food, and other bodily odors and smells that drifted in with each patron. Games of cards and dice entertained a few while others engaged in conversation or simply enjoyed the atmosphere.

After the first official day of the stockshow, Kamari had suspected that that evening would have been one of the better ones to try to perform a bit of her spy work.

Reunions would have brought up catchup stories and tales of the road, and Kamari was no stranger of how alcohol loosened one’s tongue. Three major events down, there was sure to be some revelry centered around those too. With La Estrella Roja closed, the saloon and the stockshow event were the next best resource to easily glean the going-ons and rumors happening in the rest of the realm. And, if she was lucky, perhaps she would be able to collect more vital intel amidst it all.

Thus far, however, Kamari had not overheard anything particularly worthy of note. The evening was still young though, so, there was hope yet. She’d bided her time by trading goods with the barkeep for some water and a warm meal and some flatbread. The night’s special was apparently roasted pheasant with potato and cranberry preserves. The flatbread had berries and fruit, and made for a worthy dessert. Time slipped by, and Kamari eventually ordered a berry-flavored wine to help give a reasonable explanation for her extended presence at the bar.

It was a pity though, because her tastes—or lack thereof—for alcohol were still as strong as ever. She nursed the beverage slowly, her tall ears listening for anything worthy for a Thistle Kingdom spy hidden in plain sight. The saloon’s patrons grew as the evening drew on, though, the seats at the bar were the slowest to fill up. Most of the Luperci came in groups and quickly tried to secure a table, and others were more interested in the bets to be had at the game tables.

As she debated on whether it was time to take another sip of her wine, she felt the presence of another draw nearer to her section of the bar, and her sharp eyes flicked to the source.

Kamari Kaiser
— The Shadow —
[Image: k4f73A1.png]
Player Wiki · · Character Wiki
Avatar art by Alaine · Sig art by Despi
[691 +6]

Lossë felt strange. Numb, but also sad, and angry. He wasn't actually sure where each feeling ended and another began, and they all settled into a terrible knot in his stomach. He had wandered around the shops and games, only paying enough attention to avoid running into anyone that crossed his path. He wasn't angry at her, couldn't bring himself to feel something like that for someone that he had fooled himself into thinking he'd cared so deeply about. He was angry at himself -- desperately mad that he had let things get so far away from him, that he hadn't gone back to visit her like he promised, that he brought up the scar on her chin, so angry for being a disappointment.

He regretted asking to stay longer in Del Cenere. He'd wished he could take it back, but didn't want to give the idea that he was fickle or ungrateful. He hadn't wanted to stay to spend time with her, anyway, he'd asked because he respected the pack's reputation as horsemasters and he wanted to learn from the best. Lossë had been so blindsided by being rejected that he hadn't even told her that he was going to be staying. Perhaps that was for the best, in case she sought out Nazario and interceded to have his extension rescinded. He didn't really think that she would do something so petty as that, but he gave himself the fantasy that she might be someone who didn't fit him.

Of course, someone who didn't want him was, by definition, someone who didn't fit him.

His wandering led him to the entrance of the Ugly Coyote, the saloon that he'd heard about, passed by, but never entered. Despite feeling much like a foolish child, he realized he was an adult who had right of entrance into the bar. Lossë stepped in, boldly, and froze. It was different than he was expecting... But, he realized, he wasn't actually sure of what he was expecting. His stupor was broken when someone pushed past his shoulder and jostled him. He collected his scattered wits and quickly approached the bar, pulling out the bag of little trade items he'd brought in order to feed himself within the territory. He'd never admit it, but his mother had given them to him, somehow knowing he had nothing of his own. The merle decided he really needed to collect more materials for trade. He couldn't remain dependent upon his mother's largesse. 

He reached the bar and got a rabbit stuffed flatbread and inquired about the drinks available. He wasn't familiar, really, with any of them, but one name stuck out. Moonshine. It sounded pretty, like something that would've been made by a worshipper of Valleui. He ordered that, receiving his drink with a raised eyebrow from the bartender and advice to drink it quickly, in one go. He did so accordingly, grimacing at the awful flavor and gasping for breath as it burned down his throat. When it settled into his stomach, though, and mixed with the tangled knot of emotions in his stomach, the burning turned into a pleasant warmth that spread through his body. It felt... Good. He ordered and received another, knocked it back, and got a third -- this time with a stern warning to eat his food before getting a fourth.

He took his drink and flatbread and looked around for an open place to sit, finding an open spot at the bar next to a cloaked female. He shrugged, feeling very relaxed and friendly, and sat down next to her. "I hope you don't mind," he said, "There's nowhere else really to sit. And you look nice." He took a sip of his moonshine, the flavor growing on him somewhat, and took a bite of his flatbread. It was the most delicious thing he'd ever tasted, and it took all of his willpower to not devour the rest of it in one breath. He took another careful bite.
a very speedy reply machine
[Image: 9bRyDDw.png]
signature by eike
(+577)
DCG pNPC: Alonso (background)
It was a younger male of decidedly doggish descent. His fur was a pale ivory with splotches of earthen brown that made him look almost as if he’d been pushed into a puddle of mud. The stark division of his markings vaguely reminded her of Azalea, just, without any errant freckling. He had a pair of mismatched ears that were decorated in gold pieces, and a nose that was tickled with pink. His long, two-toned hair was braided, giving him an almost elegant look for a young man. He was taller than she, though, had a lean build to him not unlike her husband’s. Devoid of any distinguishing coyote features, she could only guess that he was either a Caledonian, Cavalier, or Loner.

He had a drink and a piece of flatbread in his hands, and it was clear in the way his mismatched eyes fell near her section of the bar counter that he was in need of a place to sit. In the end, he took the open seat next to her, and, as he settled, she took a subtle sniff, finding the familiar pack scent of New Caledonia before it was choked out by the stronger smell of the stranger’s alcoholic drink and tasty food. She supposed that his ties to the Sun-and-Moon Kingdom certainly explained his more refined look. He didn't have the cut that she might have expected for a soldier-like Cavalier, nor did he have the look of someone who spent his life out in the wilderness. And, with the way the coyotes of the Gang seemed to dress and look, the young man stuck out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps sensing her gaze, the male acknowledged her before taking a lap at his beverage and a bite out of his bread.

“Keeps me out of trouble,” she chuckled in reply to his comment of her. “Especially in places like this.” She gestured with her nose to indicate the bar setting itself. Kamari took another casual lap at her drink, though, it did not escape her that the man seemed almost smitten with his food before he took a more careful, savoring bite.

The barkeep, Alonso, passed by them then, his golden eyes looking at her in silent question before she gave him a small, minute shake of her head to indicate that she didn’t need him or his services at that moment. The charming coyote continued further down the bar, making sure his other patrons were satisfied while also keeping an eye out on the room beyond for trouble.

She watched him go for a beat before letting her cornflower blue eyes flick to young man beside her. Though she doubted that he any intel that might have been of interest to her, there was a part that needed to be played lest she wished to stick out. As far as she could tell, the stranger beside her seemed nice and had manners, so, engaging in further interaction with him hopefully wouldn’t put her in an awkward spot.

“You come here for the food too?” She asked conversationally with a nod to his flatbread. Assumptions led her believe that he wasn’t there to play cards or any of the games—otherwise, he might have joined a table instead—and, given his lack of companions, he didn’t seem like he’d come there simply to socialize with friends either.

Kamari Kaiser
— The Shadow —
[Image: k4f73A1.png]
Player Wiki · · Character Wiki
Avatar art by Alaine · Sig art by Despi
verbal diarrhea is a go
[721 +7]

The energy in the saloon was something that was becoming more welcoming to Lossë, as his limbs began to feel more loose from the moonshine in his cup. The hustle and bustle and raucous conversation and laughter was beginning to feel less alien and more something that he could potentially enjoy, maybe forget the reason that he went there in the first place. It was packed, full of Luperci that were reconnecting with friends they'd not seen -- a painful twinge in his chest at that -- drinking, playing games, and from what he could tell in the upstairs, gambling. He vaguely pondered the idea of trying his hand at gambling too, but decided against it. He had a limited budget and was mostly at the Stockshow to compete. He didn't know the rules of the gambling games and had heard stories about newcomers to them losing everything they had and more. Best to avoid them.

She replied to him easily with friendly response of her own, and he smiled. It was nice to interact with someone who didn't know who he was or what he was feeling. "I don't know if my ma-- my mother would be too happy about me being here, but she's back at home and I was curious. It doesn't seem as wild as I was expecting it would be." He cursed internally at almost referring to Saga as his mama -- he'd always called her that but he had a sudden feeling it would make him seem childish. He could only hope this stranger didn't notice his slip-up. 

The bartender swept by them, pausing to silently check on the stranger sitting beside him, and left at her indication. It appeared a well-run and well-loved establishment. Several moments passed in silence and he took another bite of his flatbread -- such a divine concoction, flatbread seemed such a simple name for it -- and nearly choked when she asked if he was there for the food. He swallowed, then paused carefully, ears pressed flat against his head. "The food is good, but, to tell the truth," he started, trying to restrain himself. "I just got some... Upsetting news. I guess it shouldn't upset me that much, and I should have expected it, but I guess I thought that things would be different and I got my hopes up. It's not her fault, it's mine, but I'm still feeling pretty sad about it. My friend Liam once said that drinking sometimes helps him feel less sad, and this is helping, kinda, but it also is making me feel kind of more sad too." He took another drink of the beverage in question, having picked it up to gesture with it, and felt the warmth further uncurling the knot of emotions in his stomach.

"I really shouldn't have been surprised, because, you know," he said, to someone who certainly did not know. "She's a coyote, and I'm not. Obviously." He took another sip and furrowed his brow. "That makes it sound like I have a problem with coyotes, I don't, I just mean she's, y'know, a Del Ceneran coyote, and I'm a wolfdog from New Caledonia. I was born there, and I think she was born here, and I wouldn't really be welcome here -- even though I'm mostly dog, I think -- and I don't know if coyotes ever leave here. I guess maybe they do, because I think Benji is from here, and he lives in Caledonia now, with his wife, Hoko -- and I don't understand that, because she doesn't seem like someone that would have a relationship, but I was at their wedding, and it seems like she really loves him. I guess I just don't understand love, maybe."

He sighed deeply, and took a long drink of his moonshine. Lossë turned to his companion with sad, wet eyes. "Do you know what love is like? Was I just being silly? This is only my second summer, so I don't know what I do and don't know." He set his drink down, then picked at his flatbread, eating a small piece. "I'm Lossë, by the way, if you wanted to know."
a very speedy reply machine
[Image: 9bRyDDw.png]
signature by eike