[AW] now it's the end, and again
Ethereal Eclipse
The ravens attracted him first, but as he neared he could smell death on the wind.

It was not unusual to come across the carcass of other animals in the wilderness. Nature was not forgiving: an error, a fault, a sickness, these were all things that could spell the end of a life. Those who survived were often the smartest, not merely the strongest, but Oberyn recognized that wits alone were not enough to endure. He was not stupid, of course, but he was not nearly as wise as his sister or even his mate. Experience gave him an advantage over the latter in these lands, but after the many months they had been in residence, Makwaikwe knew the stretch of territory they resided in very well.

He had expected to see her, but the carcass was abandoned by all but the birds when he finally found it. After so long there was little left of note: bones and ragged looking skin, and a putrid smell that suggested maggots and bacteria had made home in whatever remained. The flock of ravens didn't seem to mind this, and cawed at each other as they picked through the skeletal remains.

Disappointed he would not find an easy meal, Oberyn sighed. He was not above scavenging – indeed, he had done so many times in the past. There was no shortage of food to go around, but it took effort to hunt and these did not always end in success. Numbers helped, but the odds were against them in this regard. At their maximum, the wolves had five hunters. He had seen elk traveling in far greater numbers. Deer usually did not, but they were smaller and did not last as long.

Even so, there was always another chance for a meal. This dead end had only cost him time, and there was plenty of forest left to scour.

Open for one!
There's magic in our bones - A north star in our soul - That remembers our way home 

Parzival had enjoyed the trek across the northern lands to the other packs; exploring intermittently along those route and perhaps rediscovering what made his kind so good at prowling around. However... he was still a pack cat. And now more than ever was Parzival needed in Casa; to look after his siblings and help train up Tegan as her mentor. He was a guard as well so keeping to or near the borders was ideal, however the feline saw fit to give himself some flexibility when it came to leaving to hunt or explore. There were some vast and good lands just outside of Casa; a chunk of the south that belonged to no one and was free to take from. 

Elk were a pretty rich food source that Parzival knew the Cavalier had utilised for a long while. He'd hunted some before with members of the pack, so he could guess the size of the prey and considered it a bit of a coin flip hunt. Either he'd find one just far enough from a herd to catch alone, or Parzival would be pushing his luck against some rowdy male elk looking to protect their family. Deer were smaller and Parz knew much easier for him to catch... but also far less fun. 

He'd found a small enough herd to follow around the neutral lands; tracking behind them with the scents they left behind before finally catching them grazing in a field with Parzival hidden on the outskirts. His fawny coat blended into the current autumnal forest, giving the cat an easier time remaining hidden as he took note of each individual elk. Females of similar size... perhaps the cat would just need to catch one on the edge of the group. 

Hesitation wasn't Parzival's strong suite, so with some quick decisions in his head he charged forwards, letting the long grass keep him hidden as an added bonus until closer to the group. Eventually though, the elk noticed him, and all jolted to run in various directions. Parzival's heavy tail spun like a windmill as he picked a target, turning himself around in a tight twist of his body toward the elk of choice. The speed of the cougar landed him next to the elk and able to launch up at it's side. 

Claws raked into skin and Parzival's sharp teeth found purchase in the neck, but the cat was knocked off a few moments after the pounce. As he tumbled through the grass, Parz watched the injured elk continue to run, huffing as he knew this meant the hunt wasn't over... which would've been so much easier if it did just keel over. 

Getting up, Parzival kept a healthy trot after the wounded elk, following the trail it left behind. He was getting closer when he picked up the sound of something else nearby... whiskers flaring at the chance it might be another predator looking for an easy hunt to steal. 

Who Parzival saw made the lion want to growl and hiss... but instead the composed cat soothed his instinctive temper to flick his tail and dip his head to the wolf. "Listen. Let's not do the same dance as last time." He suggested, licking at his bloodied lips. "I've got wounded prey to find... if you're willing to be not quite so bull-headed and rash I'll even share it with you."

♕Parzival♕

out of the woods,
      out of the dark,
im well aware of the shadows in my heart
A great commotion deeper in the woodland drew Oberyn's attention. He wondered if one of his friends was nearby, but as he moved to investigate, found himself looking at an unwelcome sight. The big cougar was easily identifiable: he was the largest wildcat that Oberyn had ever seen. More than that, when he approached it was with the same attitude – one that made Oberyn snort and fan his ears back.

Up close, the cougar was intimidating. Alone, he could easily kill the wolfdog. The sight of him with a bloody face only helped remind Oberyn of this fact. Under his tawny pelt was powerful muscle, rippling each time Parzival moved in just the right way. His healthy layer of fat was further proof that the apex predator was not merely surviving, but thriving in his own territory. He could have chased Oberyn off quickly, or gone after him and eliminated a potential threat.

Surprisingly, though, the cat wasn't looking for trouble. He was just looking for food.

Despite Parzival's polite greeting, Oberyn's ego was nevertheless wounded by the panther's comments.  He scoffed. “I'm surprised you'd ask for help,” the wolfdog told the great cat. “But I'm hungry, and in an agreeable mood, so I don't mind. You'll have better luck with a partner,” Oberyn added. It had not occurred to him that the cougar was not a solitary predator.

Sorry for the delay! Oberyn is ready to become new best friends!!
There's magic in our bones - A north star in our soul - That remembers our way home 

OOC: On the highway to friendship town

The fact that he'd been able to speak and the wolfdog listen was progress. Alone it seemed the canine had the smarts to not try and square up against the mountain lion, so Parzival could respect that by doing his utmost to be nice and polite in return, his Cavalier reputation beginning to show a bit now that he was confident he wasn't about to have his pride tested. With a tail flick, Parzival's head tilted in acknowledgement. "Well you know I'm actually a very nice cat when you don't growl at me." Parzival explained, perhaps allowing himself a bit of snark to come into his tone. With a chuckle though, the cat raised his head and tried to relocate his track of elk blood to follow, flat nose flaring as he tried picking up the scent of the wounded prey. 

"Better luck indeed." Parzival agreed, padding over to where the smell was strongest to spot the faint splatters of blood, standing over the discover and turning his head back to Oberyn. "I caught the elk in the neck, it shouldn't have much energy left once we find it, so it's just a matter of finishing the job." Parzival announced, then moving to a trot to start following the trail of blood once more, trusting the wolfdog to follow along with him. "With two of us, cornering it should be easy, just one leading it to the other. I'll let you decide which part you want to play." Realistically Parzival would make for the better surprise attack, given his speed and the damage of his teeth, but he didn't want to wound anymore of the wolfdog's pride by pushing a position on him. 

"Oh yes," The cougar realised, "I'm Parzival, I suppose we never made proper acquiantence last time did we?"

♕Parzival♕

out of the woods,
      out of the dark,
“If you weren't you,” the wolfdog countered, falling in alongside the big puma. “I think you might understand why we wanted to make sure you left us alone. Nothing against you, Parzival.”

There was a lot to consider when traveling, especially in unknown territory. For a pair of wolves, coming across a huge male cougar was a frightening experience. Avoiding him would have been riskier than attempting to ward him off from thinking of making sport of the loner pair. Without the protection of a pack, they would have struggled in a battle against an animal of his size.

“Oberyn Haskel,” he returned, uncertain of why it seemed important to share his full name. Something about his leonine companion felt...regal, he supposed. There was a supreme confidence in the apex predator. A Luperci who favored two legs might not have recognized this as quickly as the feral one keeping pace with the cougar, but Oberyn could see it clearly.

Parzival would not merely have grievously wounded them in a fight, he thought. No up close he was all muscle, startling in his size. He wasn't afraid of Luperci.

If he wanted to, he could have killed them.

“Since you've already been running, I'll give chase,” Oberyn offered. It was the most logical plan, and put the cougar's superior reaction speed to its best use.

As they hurried after their prey, Oberyn came across a patch of blood-splattered leaves. They were close.

You can PP Oberyn performing his portion of the hunt! Figure we'll keep this shorter, and then we can do a more updated thread soon. :]
[+ WC]

OOC: Sounds good to me!

Parzival's deep chest hummed with understanding, much more patient today than perhaps he'd been when first meeting Oberyn. Parzival liked to comment on his prideful nature often; how he frequently considered himself perfect and others flawed, but really that was just for jest, the cat could reflect on the things he did or said and know when he should've done better. "Hrm, I'll admit you did catch me on a bad day, I'm getting better at not being a grumpy ass whenever dealing with others." Parzival admitted in return, whiskers curling upward in a small smirk from the feline. 

The walk of the pair felt right, much better than their previous hostility, making Parzival rather glad he had the chance to find this particular man once more. Parzival would never openly admit his feelings of guilt, but he often thought back to the ways he could've been different around others, especially those afraid of him, and been better. He was confident, after today, Oberyn Haskel would know the true Parzival. Not just the bestial lion who could kill him with a single thought. 

Nodding at the offer, since the blood trail told them prey was close, Parzival skulked away to find his place of hiding. Like any good feline, vanishing into the forest was easily done, so much so that Parzival would rely on his keen ears to keep track of where Oberyn guided their prey. He waited in the bushes, silent, almost holding his breath in anticipation. Building strength in his folded legs, the muscles tensing and ready to expand in the rush of the pounce, whilst the small yet strong ears on the top of Parzival's head twitched with concentration. 

A rustle, thumping feet, hooves closing in. Parizval launched at the perfect time, darting out of the thick growth of the forest to surprise the wounded elk, a yowl erupting from his throat naturally as he charged. Oberyn had led the elk perfectly, allowing Parzival to jump up and land a proper blow this time, elongated teeth sinking into the creature's throat. 

It was his natural nimbleness and resilient body that let Parzival roll under the collapsing elk without much issue, crawling out from under it to shake himself off in a very canine manner, huffing in satisfaction and waiting for Oberyn to join him. "Nice job, always feels better hunting with others." Parzival had to admit, sitting himself down and glancing to the elk. "I do like you canine, I hope you know that... I live in a pack, so your kind are closer to me than my own. But I still understand the... concern around me. Cougars are assholes so I get it. But hey... maybe now you'll know I'm less of an asshole then the rest." The cat chuckled, then let his front legs shuffle forwards into a long stretch. 

"Alright Oberyn," He began after the stretch, "take your pick, feel free to be greedy, the less left is makes it easier to carry away for me."

♕Parzival♕

out of the woods,
      out of the dark,