[P] [M] They say it's genetic
For Nindari/Veldt

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Specifically, this thread is marked mature because of: just in case lol.

OOC: Set after Lorien returns from the Stockshow, likely the 14th (today) or so. Set at Lochan Glas.

Lorien was baffled after an encounter with someone he could have sworn was an Ashen. He did not get a very good look at the one that had attacked him, but he was surprisingly young looking. He had pounced on Lorien when he was least expecting to be attacked, and he honestly wondered if he had intended to rip his throat out with how he had sunk his teeth into his neck. He was positive that if he were not as knowledgeable in combat that he would have died. Jesus. Lorien wondered if it had to do with the bottle of alcohol he saw unattended and helped himself to. Then again, his assailant appeared too young to be allowed to drink. So why...?

He pondered this happening whilst he cleansed his wounds in the stream. It ran itself past the Messenger Tree, whose bark was gnarled in a strange way. He had heard from pack-mates of how the tree was horribly vandalized in the past, and he wondered if that was why the wood was textured so strangely. Eyes tearing from its trunk, he decided to move on. Now that he had washed his physical wounds, he would visit a shrine to heal himself more spiritually.

He typically visited Nanin's shrine, given his strong bond to the deity. Today, he decided he would visit Nin's. Hokori Tanaka very much loathed the watery goddess, having gone to extreme lengths to deface her shrine and kill her worshippers. He had really mixed feelings about the subject, personally. She was just as important to Caledonia as the rest of the deities (though Nanin was most important of all). Had she really given her blessing to the religious extremists that waged war? His mind briefly recalled Estelar, his ex, and Rand, his father. He typically had strange relationships with those that were devotees to this goddess. They were usually complicated or even abusive. But all he had ever wanted was Estelar's and Rand's love. Now he was left to pick up the pieces of his identity by himself. Culturally, individually, spiritually, and even with regard to his familial name, he was lost. He at least had Gwenninur and Lothric.

He made his way to Lochan Glas now, giving Nin's shrine a glance before moving to the pond's edge. He could see his reflection in the algae ridden water. His eyes looked different to the way they did when he first arrived to New Caledonia from Manitoba, where Old Caledonia once was before it was fractured by the first war. He even felt that he behaved differently. Where he was once so turbulent, he now had friends and family to help Nanin in his endeavor to calm and heal him. He was still a broken soul, but he was growing. He was getting there.

Lorien heard someone. He lifted his head from where he gazed into the waters. He could not see whoever it was, but he relaxed when he could tell that the scent was distinctly Caledonian.

"Hello," Lorien called. "I wasn't expecting anyone else to be here."
[Image: lorien_by_jazzy_2.png]
Lorien Coara ⨵

And if by his own hand his spirit flies,
Take his body as a relic to be canonized

Lorien is plural. Lorien has an introject of the religious figure of Nanin in a system. This is not the literal god, Nanin, 'possessing' Lorien. This 'Nanin' is not the original and is just a part of Lorien's plurality. There is nothing supernatural about this, it's purely an internal and mental function of this character.

What is plurality?Plural jumpstartQuestioning?
[Image: unknown.png] [Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png] [Image: a7pOd3v.png]
(Art Credit)
She spent many days by the water. Rand could think of no better place to instruct her on the ways of their Goddess - his Goddess, she thought with a scoff - and though Níndari could list a million and one reasons to explore the rest of the sprawling lands that the Realm could offer, strangely she was drawn back to this place with the stagnant green water.

Maybe it was some nod to the Lady's divine power, leading her back here. Perhaps more accurately, the shrine was one of the few places in the pack that was ordinarily free of other Caledonians. As she grew, so too did the awareness of the disdain for the Gods, especially that of her namesake.

Could she blame them? Rand certainly thought that this would not stand and made that readily known within the confines of their home, that the true believers would have some righteous comeuppance one day soon. Nín was not so sure.

Arriving at the loch, however, she discovered that the little shrine was already being attended to by another that her father had - with no trace of subtlety - told her to avoid. She was not privy to whatever secrets Rand kept beyond the sacred few he shared with her, none of which strayed far from the faith; and every question she ever asked of his other children, both in the pack and abroad, was met with a swift and unchanging answer, shutting her down immediately.

Lorien was her brother. But he was not a Coara.

When he called out to her, it was without recognition - He had yet to see her, never mind on two legs now that she had shifted for the first time some days prior. She smiled, slowing her gait, and her teeth gleamed in the scant rays of sun glittering through the trees.

"I wasn't expecting to see you in this place," she returned in kind, gesturing loosely to the shrine by the pond.

"He said you do not worship the Goddess."

He did not have to be named. Further still, she did not know this to be true, as Rand had never said this at all - but Níndari saw no quarrel in stoking the flames higher. The mutual disdain had not entirely escaped the young Page.

[+3]
hehehehe
There was something to be said about fate when Lorien continually ran into strange characters. There was also something to be said about how it was inherently inevitable to see Nindari again, given that they both lived in New Caledonia. The fact that he had not seen her since the last time he saw Rand said something to him. Had their father purposefully been hiding them from Lorien? He did not intend to hurt them. There were many flashes of hatred and envy at first, but that all subsided eventually. They were just children, as much as he was spooked by them before. Nindari and Elemmire should be pitied, not looked down upon with disdain. Otherwise, Rand would have free reign as the sole influence over them. Lorien hoped they had others in their lives besides their cowardly and manipulative father.

When he saw Nindari , he did not know it. Not immediately. She stood on the two legs that Optime afforded her now, shaping her fur and flesh into a new figure. Lorien jumped to his own two legs. He was startled when he recognized her as his sister. He had not expected anyone to be at the increasingly unpopular shrine dedicated to Nin, but he really should have. Rand and Vodeva worshipped her still, and it was likely that their children were indoctrinated too. Not that this practice was always a harmful thing. Preserving Caledonian culture was still something Lorien valued. Yet... Could it not be done more constructively? They could not hope the rebuild Nin's image with more disagreeable actions. Did Lorien want that to happen? Maybe. Maybe not. He was still on the fence, and comfortably looked to Nanin for guidance first most days.

Ignorance could be poison. That was why he was here, to reconnect.

"Nindari," he said plainly. "Well, he does not know me in the slightest. He wishes I, Gwen and Ric burned in the fires of the first Caledonian war with his other abandoned children. You can imagine that he never bothered to actually talk to me." He shook his head. "I still pray to her. I still pay my respects to her. Nanin is who I am devoted to primarily, but I recognize Nin just as importantly."

As he spoke, the fervor in his voice increased. He had to take a deep breath to calm himself. He knew that if he became too worked up, he could become manic once more. He wanted to keep his wits about him instead.

"When did you shift?" he asked. "I'm curious about you. I haven't seen you in some time."
Lorien Coara ⨵

Lorien is plural. Lorien has an introject of the religious figure of Nanin in a system. This is not the literal god, Nanin, 'possessing' Lorien. This 'Nanin' is not the original and is just a part of Lorien's plurality. There is nothing supernatural about this, it's purely an internal and mental function of this character.

[Image: unknown.png] [Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png] [Image: a7pOd3v.png]
(Art Credit)
Her words found flesh beneath his stony exterior; and they cut deep. She knew this from the way he immediately jumped to salvage the honor of him and the countless other bastards. Convictions swelled in his voice like the banks of the stream after a heavy rain - and still, it bade her forward, fearless, curious.

"Maybe that is why he doesn't like me to see you," she mused, sounding pensive, though her smile did not waver in thought. "You tell me things he does not want to hear."

She could not possibly imagine why. His unpopularity, too, had not gone unnoticed by Nín, though Ellie would have been shocked at the mere thought of it.

"Did you know them? The others," she asked, stopping as she came to stand before him. He lighter in color, like ash, but the blood relation was unmistakable. The edge of his voice, some of his mannerisms - Lorien favored his father more than he must've cared to admit.

"Oh, not too long ago - " a hand found her hair, tousling the long, disheveled locks. "I'm still getting used to having hands. But I like it."

A new world had opened itself up to her. Like many other youths, she was all too eager to leave behind her humble, feral beginnings and embrace civility.

"I'm an adult now," Níndari informed him with a self-satisfied nod, slender arms crossing over her chest. Never mind that she still acted like a child, looked like a child: the first shift had made it an unalienable truth that she was now grown and everyone needed to treat her as such.

[+2]
Nindari smiled still as she spoke after he did in turn. You tell me things he does not want to hear. She was right, and by the gods, he would be heard. If Rand did not want Lorien to speak, he would speak more. He would speak loud. He refused to be silenced, especially if it was Rand attempting to silence him. Lorien would learn more of his father's transgressions, and he would make the whole pack know that Lorien was a true Coara, and that Rand was a blemish on that reputation, not him.

He took a steadying breath. He could not lose his composure so easily anymore.

"It most definitely is. There is so much our father is hiding from you, hiding from everyone." A smile came to his own lips to mirror hers, unbidden. He would tell her if she allowed him.

His sister came closer to him. She clearly was not running away. If Rand was angry that they were talking, it would not be his fault. Nindari happened upon him, and it would have been rude to just run away. Lorien was doing nothing wrong here. He was sure of that, and nothing would change his mind. Siblings should be allowed to see each other. In fact, he was angry that he was not allowed to see his siblings previously. He realized now the importance in hanging on to whatever of them were left alive and not to drift.

"I did not know them personally, no. But Medlihel, my mother that Rand so carelessly loved and discarded, told me that there were others. So many of us were abandoned, neglected, left to die. Only the gods know if I, Gwenninur, Lothric, Elemmire and you are the only ones left alive. I don't even know what Rand is doing to you." There was no telling, and how was a child like Nindari to know what was happening to her? Abuse was confusing, and it was most effective when the victim was kept in the dark.

He nodded approvingly as she told him of her shifting. Her newly earned hands found her freshly grown hair, two things only Optime could give. He wondered if she appreciated the gifts of her Secui and Lupus forms too.

"I am glad you enjoy your new forms, and being recognized as an adult. I'm sure you'll use it wisely. The world looks so much different in Secui and Optime, doesn't it?"
Lorien Coara ⨵

(Art Credit)
It was clear that the words he spoke were born in some deep, dark place, quietly brewing just beneath the surface. Níndari had no way of knowing how often these emotions were ever loosed on some unsuspecting packmate; perhaps Lorien found solace in their similar blood, the connection they shared.

It was similar. But not the same.

The more he said - the louder volume with which he said it - the more Nín's beam contorted, until finally it broke into something of a grimace, her confusion exaggerated and brazen.

"Well, of course," she remarked, as if the flagrant disregard of Lorien's mother was not, somehow, a disgraceful thing. "He could not love anyone other than my mother. The gods had destined them being together long before any one of us was born. Everything before that was just a mistake."

How could Lorien not know that? Nín, much like her father, did not so easily see the fallacies in this sort of reasoning. She was his mouthpiece, regurgitating everything that she had heard him say a thousand times over.

Surely, at some base level, Lorien was just jealous that Níndari had something he would never have. But at the same time, Lorien had something that she wanted -

Rumors.

"I don't think he hides much of anything from me," she protested, with what could only be described as indignation; but her eyebrow arched at her half-brother conspiratorially, a silent plea to indulge her.

"It is different. I like it more, now. The world, I mean. There is a lot of it." Shifting brought with a freedom that she couldn't so easily find in her father's house. It had been lonelier in the Coara household as of late, and her new form could not have come at a better time. Though she felt compelled to defend Rand in his absence, she could not deny that his presence was, at best, stifling.

[+3]
Nindari's expression and body language changed into something different. Scheming, perhaps. It made sense as soon as she spoke the words she had next. She tossed aside his mother's name without regard, and posited a very idealized image of her parents instead. Lorien was torn between laughing and growling. It was a naive idea, as much as Lorien believed in soul mates himself, because even Vodeva deserved better. Much, much better. Additionally, Rand was likely going to abandon her before she could, one way or another. He was the last man Lorien would trust to stay.

Lorien crossed his arms, but did little else to show his displeasure. It took a lot of self control, but upsetting Nindari was not worth it. He could push her away if he did. No, he wanted to remain on good terms with her as well as he could.

"For your sake, I hope he does love your mother. I hope the Gods can have them happily and healthily together. I hope they are raising you and your sister well." It would make him envious to see this successfully happen after everything Rand did to him, but he knew that would never come to pass. "It's what you two deserve."

She seemed to invite him to prove her wrong, prove Rand wrong. Verbally, she was arguing with him. Physically, she was entreating him to counter.

"You don't think so? Was this the first time you heard Medlihel's name?" He had said it again. Medlihel. He would be damned if he was forgotten. "What about Wither? I heard it was a fun wedding, had you heard? Maybe just his side?"

Oh, yes, he had managed to catch plenty of wind about that happening by now, and plenty of other things. Liam was talkative, and plenty of other Caledonians like Jonk were willing to spill the beans. There was much talk, and almost like a Salsolan, Lorien had gathered the threads together. Especially the threads that Rand hoped to unweave from the tapestry.

"What do you know of the wars, Nindari?"
Lorien Coara ⨵

(Art Credit)
She poked and prodded where she could, testing limits, looking for weakness — after all, it was harmless. A mere child, no one could truly be upset with her, could they? And if Lorien so much as harmed a hair on her head, that was grounds for her to run back to her father and tell. It wasn't like he already didn't have plenty of reasons to dislike his begotten son.

But Lorien did not explode as she had expected; he was calm, his mask unmarred, and Nín did not notice any notes of displeasure in his voice. She was impressed — even more so when he met her harsh disregard of his mother with tact.

"Wither?" A strange look crossed her face. "No, I don't think so. A wedding?" She had attended Hokori and Benjamin's ceremony recently, her first, and it had been an exciting time, a nod to old traditions: but nothing about it seemed particularly out of the ordinary or fun in the way Lorien seemed to suggest.

He mentioned war, and of course she was too young to truly visualize the scope of what he meant. Her gaze drifted back to the shrine, the careful construction of reeds meant to be an offering to the Goddess, before it settled back on Lorien's fiery eyes.

"I know that Old Caledonia fell because of one. And this one almost did, too."

It was grossly simplified.

"He said that Nín's name was used against the Realm."

He said a great deal of things, as Lorien must have known, most of which were embellished in some way that suited him. The girl canted her head at her half-brother, questioning this.

"Is that true?"

[+2]
Given the simplistic answers that Nindari gave, Lorien knew that was just about all the information she had. Either Rand did not tell her much, or she did not remember. His bets were on the former. Were Rand anyone else, he would have given them the benefit of the doubt. She was a little young to hear about the gruesome details of war, at least in the eyes of some parents. Lorien had not given having pups of his own enough thought to really have much of an opinion on that. Still...

"Yes, it's true. Although... Given how important Caledonian culture is, especially to Rand, I thought he would have done a better job teaching you about our history." He clucked his tongue. "Don't you think it's important for you to know more about?"

It was a different sort of angle, but it really was not that modified. It was an honest way that Lorien felt. It was important to remember the historical details, no matter how uncomfortable the topic could be. Forgetting about that could be dangerous. If there was another Caledonian war, then that would be a pattern. And each of the previous two times, their way of life had almost been destroyed. It was too close a call. It was not worth the risk.

"I honestly do not know all of the details about Wither, but it would seem she is why he has those scars on his neck. Those gnarly scars are terrible looking enough that it's a surprise he survived. Had he been better to her, I'm sure she would not have done that." He shrugged. "Regardless, I was not there. Let's just hope that your mother is somehow an exception to the way he's treated every woman in his life. And that you and our sister are somehow also an exception to the way he's abandoned literally every single one of his other children." His words dripped with uncertainty, planting seeds of doubt.

Talking about his father in this way with his younger sister was strange. He had ranted for hours and hours about these topics before, having had plenty of opportunity by now to rave and vent to others. Maybe that was part of why he was not seething with rage now as he had before. Maybe another part of it was the fact that Nindari was still so young... and his sister. He felt a responsibility to protect her due to that relation. As juxtaposed as it was compared to how he wanted to kick her over a cliff initially, it was there.
Lorien Coara ⨵

(Art Credit)