[P] Running Up That Hill
Nikamew
[Image: IkflHa1.jpg]
Miguel Quispe-Lopez
“a man gets tied up to the ground,
he gives the world its saddest sound” – Simon & Garfunkel, “El Cóndor Pasa (If I Could)”

Today was a different kind of day, and Miguel was happy about that. Today was a four-legged day. He'd decided that a couple of days ago on his daily walk, he would go and wander far beyond Charmingtown and out into the country, walking in his seldom-used quadruped form to increase the distance he could go. It was the kind of mundane excitement that Miguel had always enjoyed, of not taking too much of a scary risk, but just doing something different enough to break up the days.

He poked his head into Peony's house just as he was going to leave, as the sun climbed into the sky to illuminate the dark of morning, just to let her know where he was going but was met with tired, dreary eyes. She insisted that she go along with him, in a sort of buddy system to keep each other safe, but he told her he was used to wandering and would rush home as soon as there was any danger. He wasn't sure how much of this he could actually say was true, but he didn't want his best friend to worry. Reluctantly, she waved him off into the golden glow of the sunset.

Miguel hiked for several hours, heading north of Charmingtown and into the area known as the Frost Reaches, heading towards what he heard called the Burnt Church Mountains. There was a part of him that yearned to return to the altitudes of his old home, the thin air he had been raised in, the closeness to the sky and the safety in the heights; so maybe that was why he chose this route. The wind rushed through the plains and swept his hair into a dance as he kept marching north.

Eventually, he made it to the highlands and was slightly disappointed. He did not like to view everything in comparisons, but these were surely small mountains if they could even be called such. He was still happy that he was seeing a new part of the world, further north than he had ever been, but they lacked any lustre that he was hoping for. Rocky outcroppings jutted from the ground, and Miguel thought it was time to rest up and take in the sights before turning back to return to Charmingtown. He stretched his legs and back in an arcing shape and hopped up the hillside, letting his muscle memory take over. He had climbed many a cliffside in his youth, and it was clear that the skill hadn't worn away.

At the top of a jutting tower of stone, Miguel looked over the area and noted the carpet of rust-coloured leaves mixed among the evergreen conifers, again contrasted by the pale grey stone. But atop one rock was a shape. Not a leaf, and not another rock. A wolf. A tawny brown and slender wolf, lounging about on the cool stone tor. Miguel thought about Peony, and his promise to her not to get into trouble. But his curiosity made him consider that this lone wolf might not be any trouble at all, but he could only find out one way.

Miguel gave himself a shake, and hopped from his spot, making his way over to the stranger. He might as well say hi, after all. What's the worst that could happen?

OOC: PP of Peony approved by Adel!
Word Count: 567
[Image: bi1P3Nw.png]
Miguel Quispe-Lopez
Running through the field where all my tracks will be concealed
and there's nowhere to go

Character WikiPlayer WikiExtra Links
[Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png]

art by me
[000] Nik says 'sup

Nikamew saw the dog coming, of course.

That was one of the reasons he had chosen this vantage point, being able to sprawl on the flat stone tor and see for miles around him. Most of those miles consisted of treetops in a patchwork of russet, gold, and evergreen, but seeing the geography still interested the roamer. Where he would travel next, even he didn't know; he chose a different direction every morning, sometimes doubling over his own tracks, without methodology or an end goal in mind.

It was why he was in the mountains now. After leaving behind the effigy-lined borders of the coyote pack, he wandered back over his previous trail and vaguely pointed his nose east. He'd some luck hunting rock voles as he went, catching them as they secreted vegetation back to cracks between the stones. One hung from his jaw now, as he tipped his head to regard the stranger beginning to ascend the rocky slopes.

With a few quick motions, he pulverized the tiny body between his premolars and swallowed it. Then he stood, yeuked behind an itchy ear, and came to peer over the edge of the outcropping at the dog, who was very scruffy.

"You're a faster climber than I am," Nik remarked. His eyes lazily hooded, he was unbothered by the stranger's approach. "The rock is nice and warm here." With this, he returned to stretching out, licking his bloody chops and studying the pinnacle of a pine.
[Image: IkflHa1.jpg]
Miguel Quispe-Lopez
“a man gets tied up to the ground,
he gives the world its saddest sound” – Simon & Garfunkel, “El Cóndor Pasa (If I Could)”

"I am from the mountains, senor, climbing is just like walking for me." Miguel said proudly as he hopped up the rocks, pulling himself up onto the rock. "May I?"

Miguel sat down on his hindquarters and kept a polite distance from the wolf, although he did not sense any hostility from him. He believed his gut on that one, as he had dealt with hostile encounters before, but in his lupine form, he was more confident fighting back. He had missed the feeling of relying on his mouth due to the complacency forced on him by his optime form, but he liked having hands more.

"I could not help but spot you from some distance, senor, so I hope I am not intruding. I am simply passing by and wanted to share the time of day with another soul. If I am honest, I am on a walk from my pack, the Del Cenere Gang, but you may already know that by my smell." Miguel lingered on his wording. His pack. That still took some getting used to.

Without moving, Miguel concentrated his vision on wherever the wolf seemed to be looking if it was even interesting. It was a topic, nonetheless.

"What do you spot? Is there anything hidden within the arboreal realm?" Miguel's stomach growled as he spotted the remains of the wolf's kill. Dios, he was hungry.

OOC:
Word Count: 233
[Image: bi1P3Nw.png]
Miguel Quispe-Lopez
Running through the field where all my tracks will be concealed
and there's nowhere to go

Character WikiPlayer WikiExtra Links
[Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png]

art by me