Building things for pets

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:44 am

So, I don't know about other people, but I love to build stuff for my mice. I build a ton of things out of balsa wood, popsicle sticks, cardboard, and twine. It takes time and money (sometimes weeks on a single project), but I really like doing it. Plus, I have mice so I can make small things really elaborate with relative ease. Does anyone else on here build things for their pets?

The black and white one is my current boy Samwise. The tan and white was Link. Poor Link didn't have as much since I was just learning how to make stuff. Most of this stuff goes in the mouse play areas and not in the cage. There are also plenty of smaller things that I didn't take pictures of because they are really just wooden boxes. I don't really take pictures of the cage stuff either. I made feeding walls that I place inside the cage as foraging places for the mice. But those got dirty so I threw them out. I need to make new ones (my next project)
Avi by Raze

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:27 am

Dude, these are amazing! :D

I wish I had any of these skills at all! I had rats and they would have LOVED this! :D You'll have to post more! These projects of yours are awesome!
Show'em the Ol'Razzle Dazzle
Salsola
The Tradesman
Dark
Luperci
War is in My Heart

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:18 am

My rats would go nuts for this stuff if I wasn't crap at making things lol!
Someone once made us a little rat shoe house out of one of my Doc Martens and wood, it had little curtains and everything.. so cute. But I could never make anything myself.
The Shoal
Trout
Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:05 am

jeebus. 0_0

those are AWESOME.

I don't have a pic at the moment but I built a super simple shelf thing to raise my 8 year old lab mix's food up when she eats to help with potential bloat

hilli
Luperci Curander, Boticario Mate to Basilaris tak

the night is dark
and full of terrors

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:35 am

These are awesome!

I used to build stuff out of legos for my hamster when I was a kid. (Which likely wasn't good because he chewed the plastic a little but I tried to keep him from doing that).

I may at some point build some scratchers for my cats.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

XD Thanks guys. I wouldn't really say I had skill... just a lot of time a year of practice. Believe me, I have a ton of stuff that I made and had no desire to take pictures off.
Kohaku is dead. I am accepting no more threads for him, but I will finish current ones.
Avatar by Shade, signature by Laura.
Anathema
DEAD
Ariel
Luperci

POSTED: Wed May 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Well, it's been a while since I've done a large project for my pets. But I made some stuff that I can add to this thread.

First up is stuff for samwise as normal. He got a new feeding wall!
The inside.
the front.

Second, I made an enrichment blanket for my cat, Sveta. She wasn't playing at all and it worried me a bit. Not even by herself. So I made this blanket it the hopes that it might give her a place to play and own. Within 24 hours she started playing and now plays every night! I'm glad it was a success because this thing too me a week.
Avi by Raze

POSTED: Thu May 12, 2016 2:53 am

I really like all the mice stuff you build - that is really cool!
Salsola
The Family (NPC)
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Wed May 18, 2016 5:02 pm

I figured this is semi-relevant! Building things for ungrateful frogs who have lived in our nasty pool until now :| Many of you have probably heard me reference this amphibian hell.

We built a little pond in our backyard to relocate them to, using the discarded pool liner. We've never done anything like this before, and I wish that it was larger -- but it is NOT fun digging three feet into the ground with even the small area we did. :|

There's a lot of work to be done, obviously -- but we relocated the frogs, and while most of them decided it was time for a mass exodus (which makes me sad, though I don't blame them; probably far too crowded), five have stuck around as of today. We have only two plants out there for them, but hopefully we can add more (plants are pricey tho), and we're definitely going to be working on the surrounding area to make it pretty! I hope at least a couple stay for good. <333

featuring what Ariel awesomely dubbed "the mini galapagos"

edit: SOON

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Mi padre and I made a scratching post out of fallen pine for my foster kittens. Still haven't added the platform to the top though. Here it is still in the making. We had to put base extensions on it because we failed to realize how easily it could tip without them. My dad is a skilled carpenter and woodworker, so it's true even the best of us make mistakes! x)
I am available for commissions!
helkiarts.com

Helki
Creature

OOC Garbage