Re: Building things for pets

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Eeee Artemis that looks so cool :B

I need to take more pictures of the pond since we've added more to it. :o I've got a few pics of my "real" photography attempts, but it doesn't necessarily give a good full picture.

But the frog from the creepy Lowes commercial (which we only saw after we bought it) replaced the tortoise. We've even added more branches/logs behind the statue since this picture, giving them a nice place to hide/shade. You can see a frog hiding in the reeds like they do:

I've got various close-ups of frogs enjoying the plants, "bridge"/hideaway with logs, etc. :3 We can usually see around eight to eleven frogs at any time if we look out the window, so it's super nice! They are content -- and the ecosystem is working itself out with water bugs, etc. Dragonflies have even visited!

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Thank ya Raze! Same to you. Your pond looks like such a peaceful respite from the world, nicely balanced with creepy Lowes frog. Is a project like that pretty expensive to undertake? You make me want to put a pond in my yard. :P
I am available for commissions!
helkiarts.com

Helki
Creature

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Uh, for us, no -- not at all. However, we had much of the material on hand, haha. The liner was part of our discarded pool liner (though that was an expensive venture, getting the pool redone, so take that as you will), and we dug the hole ourself, and the logs and things were collected from around our yard since we have a lot of woods.

The water plants were about $40 for the water lily and the horsetail reeds? I think? But they are good, big, hearty plants.

We've also spent some money on additional plants (such as the decorative grass behind Lowes frog), as well as decorative rock and things, so yeah. I'd imagine that the most expensive thing would be the pond liner if you don't have a convenient one lying around, haha. Everything else isn't strictly necessary, other than nice plants for shelter and shade. :>

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:23 pm

That's awesome that you recycled old material :D doesn't seem like the expenses would be too bad at all.
Do you think you'll add a little waterfall or fountain-y feature at any point?
Excuse all the questions. I can't help it. x)
helkiarts.com

Helki
Creature

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:29 pm

I don't think we will, just because I don't know how complicated that would be to set up -- and I don't know if the moving water would mess with the algae growth that the tadpoles eat. I mean -- I'm not sure how healthy all the lil froggies are, but the adults are at least finding enough prey to stick around this long (at least there are a couple recognizable individuals who are definitely the same frogs lol), and we haven't seen floating dead tadpoles or anything since the initial move. >_> So murky as it can get, I'd prefer the algae to stay growing.

A waterfall feature would be really pretty though... I'm sure we could find something that doesn't disrupt the rest too much, though honestly I kind of like our set-up as it is. x3 It'd be a bit crowded unless we rearranged or dug out more.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Ooo, I was wandering if stagnation was a "bad" thing but didn't realize tadpoles feed on algae. That makes sense. Well it looks great!! Congrats on your lil oasis. :)
helkiarts.com

Helki
Creature

POSTED: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:08 am

I finally finished my latest project for Samwise. I've been calling it his castle or tower, but it really needs a name.
Avi by Raze

OOC Garbage