Getting a kitty!

advice would be great

POSTED: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:32 am

My family is getting a kitty! After years, and years of begging my parents to buy a cat or a dog, I finally managed to convince them to get a cat. Specifically, a big Siberian Forest Cat! They are really cool because they are considered "Hypoallergenic." I put that in quotes because they aren't, not really. But with cats, people aren't actually allergic to cat fur. They are allergic to the protein in cat saliva and skin called Fel d1, which gets all over cat fur because it they lick themselves. Anyways, Siberians are known to produce smaller quantities of the Fel d1 and some people with cat allergies (ranging from mild to severe) can live with Siberians in comfort. So, my mother has agreed to take a shot at it and we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Anyways, point is we are getting a big pretty kitty. We have contacted a breeder who has a two year old female (neutered and chipped) she is willing to sell for cheap. I know, breeder bad, hiss, boo. But I've been looking for rescues for 3 years and people just don't abandon Siberians. Probably because a kitten can easily be upwards of $1000 just to buy (ours will be SOOOO much cheaper because of her age and social problems from being bullied by other cats). We haven't gotten anything cemented yet so things can still go south, but it is looking good for now.

I keep digressing. I'm getting a cat! Anyone got any advice on how to cat proof a house or good brands and stuff. The cat is large, about 18lbs and very fluffy. Long haired and everything. But Siberians tend to be mild on the shedding for most of the year, so that is good. But tips on long hair care would be nice too.
Avi by Raze

POSTED: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Whoa whoa, congratulations!! :D Best of luck with everything! I hope things go well with your grownup kitty - honestly I think it is easier to adopt an adult than deal with a kitten. ;)

One of my coworkers just put a deposit on a Siberian kitten, so I've been hearing about the breed every day lol. You're not exaggerating that price tag. o_O

Miyu
Luperci Pegasus Knight Radiant Dawn Nohrian Scum
ATONE THROUGH STRENGTH
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
AND SURROUNDS YOU
YELLOW FLICKER BEAT

POSTED: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:59 pm

I want a giant fluffy 20lb kitty someday. *stares at maine coons* Low shedding is good though :O

I don't have any advice on cats or long hair other than brushing. |D I've never really had a cat. I do own three Shih Tzus though -- one who doesn't really mat at all, and one who mats ridiculously quickly if she's not brushed. They also don't groom themselves, though, and tolerate a bath/restraint for brushies more than the usual kitty would, haha.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:35 pm

I got my kitty! Aaaannnd... she's under the bed. I'll take pics when I can coax her out.
Avi by Raze

POSTED: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Eeeeeee! Congrats on the kitty, Ariel! I can't wait to see pics ;)

I don't have a legit longhaired cat so my recommendations might be a little different. My mediumhair, Tang, tends only to mat around his neck/chin where his collar rubs. But! He does puke up hairballs on occasion that my vet, at his last check-up, said could be controlled by more frequent brushings. Thankfully he does enjoy being brushed and it does seem to help so definitely get your kitty used to the brush. I use a good-old slicker brush for Tang but there are plenty other options out there!

Are far as cat-proofing goes, make sure to keep things like rubberbands, cords, hair ties, floss, ribbon, string, etc. stashed away or in the trash. A lot of cats seem to love chewing on stingy items that can easily be accidentally (or intentionally) swallowed, running the risk for a potential GI obstruction :c Furthermore, make sure any plants kept in the house are cat-friendly. The Pet Poison Helpline website has a fantastic list of pet toxins to be mindful of, including plants.

Nail trims! Get your kitty used to nail trims because you'll wanna keep those suckers nice and short. Both of my kitties do extremely well when I sit them in my lap facing away from me and hold them in place gently by wrapping my arms around them while I trim. But whatever you find works for you and your cat, go for it. My cats don't get anything except and snuggle and head-kisses after their nail trims but treats can sometimes go a long way for a food-motivated kitty ;)

Other than that, be patient. Cats sometimes take a longer time to adapt and adjust to new environments than dogs do. If your kitty wants to hide, let her hide. She'll come out to eat and drink and use the litterbox if she has to. My other cat, Rue, is super timid around new people but I've found that she tends to trust newbies more quickly when they don't try to catch or engage her (and seems to remember people who have tried in the past and stays away from them even if she's known them for years).

Have fun with her, Ariel! Do you have a name picked out yet?

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 am

Congrats on your new kitty!

Really, I'd say the same as the others. Make sure you brush your floofy kitty. Like.. a lot. I don't own a floof, but I do have a mediumhair as well, and she is a shedding NIGHTMARE. Even my shorthair can be.

Also, make sure you don't get discouraged! Sometimes they'll hide for a long time-- my kitten hid for two or three weeks before finally starting to come out and stay out all day. They need a bit of adjusting time to their new habitat, and they do it from hiding and observation, unlike dogs, haha. With cats you have to be really patient. She'll love on you soon, I swear. Cats are extremely fun and they're very lovey once they warm up to you. They're very loyal.

And I'll pick up where Milo left off-- especially on the cords! My kitten came in and DESTROYED some of our cords. Please make sure that if they're plugged in that you keep her away from them, or hide them if you can. My kitten, Ginny, LOVES to chew on wires. She's grown out of it mostly, but still.
Sidni

Haddi
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Congrats on the cat!

One thing to keep in mind about long haired cats is POOP GETTING STUCK TO THEIR FLUFFY BUTTS because CATS ARE GROSS!! Since your cat's two, she may not have as much of an issue, though Rin recently having problems with it again despite about a year and a half poop-on-fur-free prior to that. If your cat also has this unfortunate problem and is chill enough for you to do so, I rec trimming some of the fluff on her hindquarters and around her butt. Helps a bunch!

Rin doesn't shed much either, but regular brushing helps clean out small mats and sometimes I trim off random crap that gets stuck in his fur.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

con schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Pets