Aquariums!

POSTED: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:03 pm

So, I've been itching to have an aquarium for literal years now. YEARS, GUYS. My last venture in fishkeeping ended 7+ years ago after my handsome comet goldfish, Chester, passed away at 12 years old. Since then, my various housing situations have either disallowed fish tanks, weren't stable enough to chance it, or were too small to comfortably keep one. But not any more! I'm finally in a position to have another!

But before taking the dive (ahhhhaha ha), I want to make sure I have all my information and expectations together to avoid catastrophic failures. I do know that I'd like a tropical community aquarium, likely a 10 gallon, maybe with living plants (I haven't researched the pros/cons of these enough yet). But I still have a crazy amount of information to sift through yet before I'm prepared to purchase any fish or plants.

Is anyone else crazy about this hobby? What fish do you keep? What are your recommendations? Have any forums or sites you swear by? I could use all the tips, tricks, and words of wisdom any of you might have! :D

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Obviously you need a mermaid decoration for them to swim around.

I'M SO HELPFUL. 8D

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:47 am

Lucille wrote:Obviously you need a mermaid decoration for them to swim around.

I'M SO HELPFUL. 8D

HAHAHHA!! Oh you KNOW this has to happen. :D
All the mermaid decor for aquariums on Amazon are dumb though. :< But maybe the local fish store has better ones.

I think I'm going to purchase my aquarium tomorrow and start cycling it then. I'm still a little confused about cycling but I do have a connection at work with someone who keeps an aquarium on site, so I might be able to get some healthy filter media from his tank.

And I sort of have an idea of what I want once it's cycled. I know that I definitely want a betta (probably one male or mayyyyybe 3+ females?), some ghost shrimp, mystery snails, or African dwarf frogs, and maybe a few corydora catfish and/or tetras, mollies, or guppies. But, as much as I want a school of them (because reasons okay), guppies may be out since they can be nippy with longfinned fish... like bettas. :| But whatevs. I still have time to get the stocking side of fishkeeping sorted before I add anything to the tank. c:

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark Little Bandit

POSTED: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:26 am

WELL LUCKY YOU HERE I GOT LOTS OF INFO ON TROPICAL AQUARIUMS BC I USED TO WORK IN A PET STORE BUT HOLY GOLLY IS IT LATE SO IMMA EDIT THIS POST WITH SOME INFO SOON K BYE <3
Commissions are on hold for right now until I can free up my schedule a little more to work on them. PM this account or message me on Discord if you're interested, but keep in mind that they may take a while!
Salsola
The Associate (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci
teeth of the combine

POSTED: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:19 am

I was looking on the Petsmart website to see what they had and found this... leaf hammock for betta fish... O_o I had no idea this was a thing!

No cool mermaid things though. :( I agree, maybe one of the local ones here would be better.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:12 am

Yo if you're still thinking about this and want some info still PM me about talking on AIM cause I really forgot about this topic so sorry >___>
Commissions are on hold for right now until I can free up my schedule a little more to work on them. PM this account or message me on Discord if you're interested, but keep in mind that they may take a while!
Salsola
The Associate (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci
teeth of the combine

POSTED: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Lucille wrote:I was looking on the Petsmart website to see what they had and found this... leaf hammock for betta fish... O_o I had no idea this was a thing!

No cool mermaid things though. :( I agree, maybe one of the local ones here would be better.

Hahaha! That is the coolest! At first I was like, ehhhh that's just silly, and then I leaned that bettas prefer floating near the surface anyway, so... Apparently there's a floating log too! :D

The Bull wrote:Yo if you're still thinking about this and want some info still PM me about talking on AIM cause I really forgot about this topic so sorry >___>

Aww, thank you Tit! I'm really not on AIM terribly often but I'll keep this in mind. <3

As an update, my 10 gallon aquarium has been cycling now for some 10 days and is FINALLY ammonia-free. I sort of had a bit of a crash in my cycle last week after I did a water change because I was an idiot and didn't think to test my tap water beforehand. It turns out we have 1ppm of ammonia in our tap water, which would be incredibly detrimental to my fish. Good thing I didn't buy any right away! :O
My nitrite level is still hovering around 20ppm, which has been pretty steady throughout, and my nitrates have been right around 1ppm for the past 5 days. :/ But I'm hopeful now that my ammonia is 0 the rest of the numbers should improve as well (although I'm told to expect a nitrite-spike first).

At any rate, fish shall be arriving soon! But I still need to add more plants and I don't get paid until Wednesday so there's still time, hahaha! I'll be sure to post pics soon. c:

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:08 pm

My first set of fish are finally here! :D
Image Image

After a ridiculous amount of going back and forth, I decided to go with neon tetras. I love how bright and happy they look AND being smaller than some others I was considering, they're perfect for a community 10g tank. I have six, which I'm told is the minimum you want to go for shoaling fish such as these, but I might pick up one or two more to add a little buffer in case one of them dies. I got them yesterday from my local fish store (LFS) and they seem to be settling in very well. They were pretty shy last night but they've already come out of their shell and are delightful little critters! Once they're fully settled, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have more tank mates.

Speaking of which, I'm fairly settled on trying a single male betta in this tank but I'm still undecided on my bottom-dweller. I don't want to overload my little tank, so as much as I'd love to add a school of pygmy corydoras or otocincluses I'll probably go with an invertebrate instead.

BUT! I need to let my adorable little tetras settle in first and add some more plants and hiding spots for the inverts, if I go that route. Here's what the whole tank currently looks like:

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi

POSTED: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Woo! I caved and added three ghost shrimp to the tank. Those suckers are crazy good at blending in and HOLY THEY ARE FAST. I was scared to death that my third one jumped out while I was netting it into the tank but I was able to confirm this morning that all three are alive and well. c:

Anyone interested in seeing more of my adventures in fishkeeping are free to view my imgbox gallery here. <3

I also added some more plants and got rid of the hideous red thing. I <3 the little pops of fuschia. c:

Still doing daily water parameter checks, because I'm paranoid, but all is going well so far! I'll update everyone again once I get the betta. :D

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi

POSTED: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:04 pm

That is a BEAUTIFUL tank *O* Also, shrimpies!
Skana Creo
Avatar by San | Siggy Chibi by Alaine

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

Pets