kitty treats

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:19 am

So, this summer we figured out that our geriatric cat has a poultry sensitivity. This is a right pain in the butt, because as it turns out, most foods are made with chicken :') We will only feed him a wet diet because he's severely constipated (and that's even after supplementing gis diet with laxatives), and he will ONLY eat paté style wet food, and only in the most minimal of quantities.

Thanks, cat.

Mercifully, I've discovered that he will eat fancy, supplemental canned food of the tuna variety. He seemed to like the stuff with aloe and shrimp just fine. Last week, he told me he did not like clams, so the untouched food went to the doggos.

Now, I like to stimulate his lil brain by letting him forage through a snuffle mat. He really doesn't do much other than nap, so it's an important activity.

Y'all.

Do you know of any treats that are 100% poultry free? I will accept food suggestions to, but tbh he is rachet as hell, and will only eat Fancy Feast/Friskies with any kind of gusto (and honestly I'd rather he eat junk than nothing at all). Tempations, his go to drug, is off the list for treats because he's reacting to it. He thinks freeze dried shrimp are OK, and I tested out some tiny freeze dried beef liver bits and he really liked those.

): Also any suggestions for building muscle back up? He really wasted away after a bout of depression following his brother's death. Short of going deaf and having a lot of arthritis he's doing ok! As any crazy cat person would do, I just want to make sure he has everything a kitty would ever need, and lives in relative healthy comfort.

Hero
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 am

I know for a fact that Orijen has 'Regional Red' freeze-dried treats; there's no chicken or turkey in those, and they're primarily boar. My cat loves them.

I'm not sure, however, if their other lines are poultry free.

The downside is that they're on the expensive side.

As for wet food suggestions... I'm probably not the best person to answer, because I'm one of the biggest pet food snobs you'll ever meet. I worked in the pet industry and now I'm jaded.
Salsola
The Gamekeeper (NPC)
Lorraine
Luperci Cavalleria, Vaquera
vitriolic

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 am

Awww, your poor old man face. <333 I have a cat who will only eat paté style wet food (and gets the squirts with grains), so he can be a trick to feed sometimes too.

As far as treats go, your best bet is probably going to be of the freeze dried whole food variety rather than the processed treats. My cats love the minnow and rabbit varieties of Vital Essentials treats and Orijen has some excellent poultry-free options. :)

With regards to his muscle wasting, provided there isn't a medical reason for the loss, the best way to build that back up is exercise. I'm dealing with the same thing in my 14 year old poodle and, after consulting with my vet, the best she could recommend was taking him on more walks and/or encouraging him to go up and down stairs for 15 min/day to help build that back up. :/ If you haven't already done so recently, a geriatric exam and bloodwork can help rule out any medical causes for the wasting. <3
HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi
Moderator Community Soul Souls Soldier of LoveLuperci Mate to Eliza Drover, Leatherworker, Tailor Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:14 am

LOL yeah my partner is in their last leg of vet tech school (2 blocks and a practicum left), so there's a lot of bias when it comes to food. We are huge food snobs but like I said, between kitty eating crappy food or not at all, I'd pick the crappy food! -_- Let me tell you how many cans of preemo cat food we had to end up giving to the dogs... plus all the chicken based foods and...

|: shoot. I guess I ought to go over the ingredients in friskies. Seriously, it's insane how many foods rely on chicken meal...

Didn't know Orijen had cat treats! We feed the doggos their kibble sometimes... Although right now I think it's Natural Balance. Will deffos check out the Orijen and Vital Essentials. Gotta be careful of the treats though. Stuff that are like the texture of Zuke's treats, he won't eat x.x Freakin cat.

He was in for bloodwork and xrays last summer. Blookwork was fine, xrays showed no blockage (from constipation), but a looooot of arthritis. I could make him do stairs, but I'm really worried that would be too hard on him. Sometimes he runs up and down the hallway, but it's so hard to encourage him to move. I wanted to let him out during the summer, cuz he loves exploring the yard (it's an acerage), but he was under house arrest :( Plus too many foxes in the area.

He might have had a blood exam more recently? Cuz he had a UTI. But tbh I don't know what that would include. My partner is the pro, not me lol. We're 99% sure it's because he was severely depressed the year his brother (littermate) died. REFUSED to eat. Wouldn't do anything. It was just awful, poor bub. He's doing OK now, doesn't wander around wailing for his brother anymore. Now he just yells because he's deaf, or because he's having trouble pooping.

Hero
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:24 am

Upon further inspection, it appears that Blue Buffalo also offers one or two poultry-free options, as far as treats.

You could try running him around with a laser, maybe?
Salsola
The Gamekeeper (NPC)
Lorraine
Luperci Cavalleria, Vaquera
vitriolic

Pets