Needs Advice

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 pm

So, with the recent loss of my Guinea Pig, Bubu, I've found a void in my life that can only be filled with another small, cute, fuzzy animal. Any ideas on what would make a good pet? I was thinking ferret or something, since bunnies and hamsters are a bit too... Idk, docile? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated ^^
Nyx

Nyx
The Order
The Pyre
Corie
Luperci Mate to Lukos Bound by blood, never alone.

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Yeah, ferret would be good, or if you're a little more adventurous (and if it's legal where you live) an opossum; they make good pets I hear. Skunks too.

Edit: Or better yet, a big fat rat! They make great pets. Gotta raise them from a pup though I think. Same with possums and skunks.

Casa di Cavalieri
Pack Advisor
Nat
Spotlight Soul Luperci Artisan (Vocals), Hunter goose slayer

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Ferrets make great interactive pets but you might find them a lot more work than a guinea pig. From what I've heard about friends' ferts they're more on a cat/dog level of needing attention?

Obviously I think rats are a great choice for most people, I find them a lot more "interesting" than hams and buns, but you do need a pair minimum.
AbigailSadira

Let me light up the sky, light it up for you

Rat
Luperci Mate to Kira
misuse of imagination

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I'd suggest a cat mostly because they last longer. Most small rodents only live for about as long as you had your guinea pig for. I have had one of my current cat's since its birth and she's 17 years old this year and cats that are in good health tend to last until they are 20 and sometimes greater than that.

If you are specifically looking for a rodent, I would say that rats make good pets. Super smart and generally outgoing. I had a rat when i was a child and I loved it, and i know we have a few rat enthusiasts on board.

Ferrets are really cool too, but again, for me it's a lifespan issue. I don't like thinking about how my animal is going to last me three good years and then the last few years it starts declining in health, or ultimately dies randomly without ever sending the signal that something is wrong. I've had friends who had ferrets, and I love them a lot, but again, it's a longevity thing for me. Ferrets also are generally very smelly, even if you get rid of their glands.

Sorry if this was too much, I just figured i would throw in my two cents. :3

TILL VAN ULRICH
'Cause we were always alone, We were born in the hunter's season
All I really ever wanted was for you to die in the arms of someone
Avvie by kiriska@soulsRPG, signature image by Motth@FA

Salsola
The Henchman
J
Luperci Witch & Cazador
WINTER IS COMING
HUNTER'S SEASON

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Echoing Rat and J with rats. I've owned guinea pigs as well, and I found when I had rats, they were like having small, sweet dogs. Super intelligent, very cuddly. Just please, please be sure that if you go this route, you look at a breeder and hesitate to buy from a pet store, since they are often there to be food for snakes and are bred with this in mind. In my area, there is a rat rescue, so you could research that too (considering I live in Maine, I am led to believe there must be rat rescues everywhere). I miss the HELL out of my rats. They were amazing pets.

I'm going to vouch for bunnies too, actually -- they are not as docile as you think. I found my two bunnies to be less docile than all three piggos I owned. Rabbits are clever as heck, quirky and fun to have around. As they can be litter-trained, they can be trained to roam the home freely if it's safe, and often get along well with cats.

Chinchillas I hear are fun (but expensive), and apparently hedgehogs are legal in some places now, so that's something to research if it strikes a chord. lol

I think there is a huge personality and care difference between ferrets and guinea pigs, although I've never owned ferrets. My gut says ferrets aren't what you're looking for.

Much love in the wake of the loss of your pet. It sounds like you took amazing care of that piggo and it was very loved. <3
all the colors mix together to gray
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 pm

The only reason I'm skeptical about getting rats is because they have really short life spans :c I was leaning to ferret because they live longer than guinea pigs. I know bunnies aren't that docile lol I've had 2, but bunnies live really short lives too >_<

And, I'm prepared to put a lot of time an energy into whatever pet I get, I'm really looking for something that lasts longer than 3 years... ._. and I can't have a cat, it has to be something that can stay in a cage some of the time while I'm not home, I guess I will think this over for a while
Nyx

Nyx
The Order
The Pyre
Corie
Luperci Mate to Lukos Bound by blood, never alone.

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 pm

From my experience, ferrets require the same love as a cat and dog but not as much work. They sleep 14-18 hours a day naturally, and are crepuscular (so they are most active dawn/dusk). My boyfriend's elderly parents have kept ferrets since the 70s, and they would take them out once in the morning and let them boop around for 1-2 hours, or until they fell asleep, and then let them out at night after work for the same amount of time. Their ferrets typically lasted 6-7 years, but they also adopted all of their ferrets too, so I imagine the lifespan might be a little longer if you had the ferret from a pup. If the ferrets are younger, they probably need more play time or attention than that, but otherwise, they make great pets for people who work all day and can't come home during the day like for a dog.

Ferrets also do best in pairs or with companions as well. I'd try and get ferrets that are relatively the same age/energy level, if possible.

Also ferrets are super cute and I miss having them rolly-pollying around me ;o;! They make a fun little giggle sound when they play.
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Alaine     Avatar by San

San
Luperci Angler, Carpenter, Striker Tusk Stubborn Love bbleeearrrrghhhhhh
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 pm

As someone who grew up with lots of ferrets, I'd say the estimated lifespan of 6-10 years is generally pretty accurate and way worth it if you don't mind the smell. Some of my favorite childhood memories involving pets were with ferrets. They're one of the only small animals I've ever owned that I never really feared hurting in normal play as they're very resilient and, in my experience, very quick to show displeasure or pain.

They're smelly and goofy and a bit odd to get used to, but they're a joy to own; the ones I had lived at least five years and I believe we had one that was estimated to live to be 11 (we adopted him as a middle-aged ferret anyway), though he went blind in one eye and partially deaf by that point. Still as bouncy and happy as ever, though. c:

Aaand ghost posted by San, but yeah! What she said; ferrets are great pets for someone who wants more connection with their animal without the same level of work as a dog or cat.
Asuilaak

Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:03 pm

hm, well, i mean i think i mentioned this before but most if not all rodents don't live a long time.

I'm not sure if you are into birds and reptiles but they can be pretty fulfilling pets and some of them are not too docile or shy either. Bearded dragons are pretty cool (i mean that's if you like reptiles) and some snake breeds can be both long lasting and terrific animals to own. They might not have fur, but they can be quite cuddly and adorable. <3

Birds often outlive their owners, so if you don't mind the noise and the amount of attention they need, it might be a good option for you.

TILL VAN ULRICH
'Cause we were always alone, We were born in the hunter's season
All I really ever wanted was for you to die in the arms of someone
Avvie by kiriska@soulsRPG, signature image by Motth@FA

Salsola
The Henchman
J
Luperci Witch & Cazador
WINTER IS COMING
HUNTER'S SEASON

POSTED: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 pm

It really is a shame that rats don't live longer but hell if they don't make those 3 years some of the best! Like Lin, I miss the hell out of my rats too. I've had mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and chinchillas but rats outshine them all.

I will say though that my chinchilla was wonderful while I had him. c: He would bounce around my living room and tease my dogs like he owned the place. Just watching him explore and take his dust baths was a lot of fun! I didn't have Hemingway long enough to properly bond with him (long, sad story) but I hear that they do form strong bonds with their caretakers. And chins have a pretty lengthy lifespan too, with the potential to reach 20 years of age (average is 10-15 I think). If I had the time and was ready for the commitment, I would love another chinchilla. I can't image that chins would be any more expensive than ferrets but they do have special requirements, namely with regards to dust baths and temperature control (chins can't tolerate heat/humidity well). Furthermore, they are nocturnal so play times should be limited to evenings and it should be kept in mind that they will be noisy/disruptive if they are kept in the same room you sleep in. xD

But yeah, I would recommend a chinchilla if those things aren't an issue for you!

The Shoal
Bullhead
Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

OOC Garbage