The Modernity of Yesterday is the Tradition of Today

AW!

POSTED: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am

With the summer festival coming up, Lucille decided it was a good time to start getting things prepared. Apparently Norah had an idea for a new game for the pack to play in addition to their usual traditions. Lucille was leaving that up to her, though and instead she was collecting firewood for the bonfire. She was curious about what Norah wanted to do since her daughter was mostly keeping the game under wraps. Apparently she had talked with Nellie about it, so that was good. She was getting some feedback on her idea that way, and Norah had promised to tell Lucille soon, definitely before the Celebration of Achievements began.

Lucille pulled a dead branch out of some brush and started breaking it down into smaller pieces to make them easier to transport. Her horse, Tiro, stood nearby hitched to a wagon. His head was low, and his ears were relaxed as he dozed. He perked and turned his head as she walked past him to put the sticks into the wagon. Lucille patted him on the neck and headed back over to another dead branch.

As she hauled another dead branch out, she thought about this year’s prizes. She had a few ideas in mind but figured she could see if her new co-Captain had any ideas. Maybe Norah would, too. Or maybe she should ask more pack members what they’d like to win. It wasn’t something she had done before and now it seemed like it would be a good idea.
Krokar
Captain (NPC)
Myst
Luperci Mate to August Cartographer IT'S SO FLUFFY

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:05 am

Ascher had been rather too wrapped up in his own affairs to contribute much to the annual celebrations so far. He had managed to fell a lone rabbit but the man was no great hunter; he hoped that those who were younger might take care of that side of things. But Ascher didn’t want to be complacent or lazy about the upcoming festivities. He could still lift and carry, could still break up branches.

So when he found his Captain doing just that, Ascher moved to pitch in without fanfare. Indeed, the only sign that he was intending to help the Stormbringer offered was a flash of a smile to Lucille. Ascher had known both Gus and Milos better than the sheepdog woman. He was old enough now to realise that was the way of things – that not everyone could be known as well as everyone else in life, but there was still no reason he couldn’t make attempts to get to know Lucille better. She had always seemed firm but fair.

Dislodging a slender branch from where it had caught between two stronger, thicker limbs, the copper figure lifted one leg. The slim branch snapped over his thigh with ease and Ascher, feeling satisfied, strolled over to the cart where the kindling – or what he assumed would be kindling – was being collected.

“We'll soon have the makings of a fine bonfire,” he approved. Last year, freshly joined to Krokar, Ascher had been too busy mourning the loss of Vinátta to do much celebrating at all. This year would be different.

[263]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Krokar
Greenhorn
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:39 pm

As she worked, Lucille heard and then saw Ascher approach her. Although she didn't know Ascher too well, she wasn't too surprised when he began to help her gather wood for the upcoming bonfire. It was a summer tradition, and although she had no way of knowing if they held it on exactly the same day each summer, she tried to keep it close enough, and at a time that it made sense to take a break from all the ongoing work to celebrate what they had.

"That's the plan," Lucille said to Ascher with a smile. "I'm hoping to get some larger pieces of wood as well as this small stuff." Perhaps she should have been gathering that first so it would go into the bottom of the cart, but oh well. She could always shove the sticks aside and make room for larger pieces. They'd need both for the bonfire.

"So, we usually hand out prizes for the activities we have, like the caribou races. What sorts of things do you think would make for good prizes?" Lucille asked Ascher. Since the pack had a lot of diversity in skills and interests, it was sometimes difficult to choose items that would be broadly used. She also liked to give away things that were more difficult for individual pack members to obtain for themselves.
Krokar
Captain (NPC)
Myst
Luperci Mate to August Cartographer IT'S SO FLUFFY

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:28 am

Ascher was the sort who would’ve been happy beavering away in companionable silence but his face brightened when Krokar’s Captain addressed him. Krokar had always been a bright and jovial pack in Ascher’s view, despite the trials thrust upon them, and it was good that Lucille was on speaking terms with her pack mates. Ascher never had been one for leaders who had their noses in the air.

His tail swept into a slow wag as he set his sights on the next small offering from the treetops. These sticks were more offshoots of limbs than true tree limbs but they were the right size for Ascher to collect a bundle under one arm – quicker to transfer a whole lot to the cart in one go than to traipse back and forth with individual sticks, he thought.

“That I’m happy to help with as well,” the Stormbringer assured the Sheepdog with a smile. “I’m handy with an axe, you know.” Technically, Ascher was probably the Stormbringer who was least handy with anything that involved physical strength – but that wouldn’t stop him from trying. He was the only Stormbringer of his generation left around here, after all.

When asked what would make for good prizes the coppery male’s face dipped into a mask of deep contemplation. His legs and arms still moved to gather up branches but Ascher’s mind was ticking away elsewhere.

“I would always favour something with a touch of the personal about it,” he admitted. “Although knowing what that is for each pack mate might be a stumbling block.” Ascher scratched at one of the scars on his muzzle with the twiggy end of a branch. “Bone blades and hooks are useful to most; nets could also be made use of here, but if it were me winning a prize I’d want something to remind me of this Summer...”

His ears splayed and he shook his head gently.

“I’m not sure in all honesty, but if you have need of someone who can read, write or whittle to contribute to the prizes I’ll be happy to help.”

[360]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Krokar
Greenhorn
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

Dead Topics