Torn from Eden, brought to Sodom

[p. Milos]

POSTED: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Kalypso fled. That was the only way to describe her actions. It had been over a month since the fateful encounter with Chaska that neither one of them talked about since waking up in the Reine's bed. At first, she had been so sure that nothing would happen and that everything would work out. She realized only recently that she was incredibly wrong about that fact when she felt her moods continue and her hunger intensifying. It was only made even more obvious by an off comment by her half-brother who refused to give her wine since she needed to keep her senses about her with such precious cargo.

She fled. She refused to face the facts and chose instead to do something for the Court to at least dampen the blow that her return with a growing belly might cause them all. She had, after all, murdered a new mother and now was swelling with her own brood forming within. What a mistake, what a travesty, what a weight on her heavy heart.

Kaly went on her own little mission to another place, to build relations that could be cultivated like a garden. This was the sort of gardening work that she was good at, as no dirt would ruin her few lovely clothes and her fur would remain smooth, soft, and uncoated with the grime of the earth.

She came the borders after a long walk - a very long walk from the Court without a horse - and found herself both tired and energized, all at the same time. This was the work that she was made for, that the Lord above had sculpted her for. This was her purpose in life.

Though, without Chaska by her side as her usual guardian and companion, she felt almost naked and vulnerable. Add in a pregnant belly and she felt doubly exposed so being at the borders of a kindly pack was more than relieving, it was comforting. Her hands rested on the very slight budding swell on her lower abdomen for a moment, feeling nothing beneath her fingertips yet. One day, she knew, she'd feel the fear of bringing life. But her thoughts refused to settle on the topic. No, she would distract herself from it.

At the borders, she settled, resting a few moments in the warm sunshine of summer as it heated the darkest fur on her body. With a sigh, she stood, and let out a howl to call for someone in charge, someone who could let her rest a while and meet with others in the pack of river people, one ruler to another.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Under the canopy of a summer leaves, the sunlight danced upon their shoulders. "Can't I come in, Papa?" a child asked, his chin resting on a wooden slat. His tail swept over the verdant grass, the blades tickling his fur. In his soft, nutmeg eyes was a look of supplication. "Please?"

Milos stood with Taseko among their herd of caribou, talking of future pairings. They had no calves this summer, a decision they had made with much thought. The more their stock swelled, the more difficult it was to keep them all alive and healthy – not just the caribou, but the other livestock as well. Milos had gifted some chickens to Mistfell Vale, but he wondered if they would have use of some hoofstock as well. Perhaps some of the other packs, too, might express interest in trading some of their fares for Krokaran livestock. They would be fine, he thought, through the summer months, but Milos worried what winter would bring.

The caribou, at least, were more or less self-sufficient and, if they butchered or traded some of their other lesser stock, they could stand to bring in some calves next summer.

Distracted by the whining of his youngest son, Milos' voice trailed off and he turned to cast sunny eyes at Percival. "Perce," the Captain began, his tone a gentle warning. "Wait 'til we're done talkin'."

"But when will that be?"

Milos sighed and parted his maw to respond when a call wavered in the summer breeze. He glanced at Taseko. "I'll find ya later," he promised. Shifting his eyes to Percival and then back at the Herdsman again. "Reckon he can see the caribou if you're willin' t' watchin 'im?" Taseko nodded and offered an agreeable response, then gestured for the youth to pass beneath the fence.

"Listen t' whatever 'Seko says," Milos said to his son, bending to ruffle the wiry fur at his crown. "Got it?"

"Got it!" was the reply and, wiggling with excitement, the Guppy scampered to Taseko's side while Milos jogged to answer the call at the borders.

There, he found a woman – alone in a wash of sunlight. "Hello there!" Milos called out, lifting an arm in greeting. His smile was kind and his eyes were bright. "Name's Milos, Captain'a Krokar. What can I do ya for?"

[WC — 394]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza Drover, Leatherworker, Tailor Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 pm

A bright face and welcoming gaze was what greeted her. The man seemed, for lack of a better term, warm and sturdy. Kalypso could not help herself when her lips turned into a smile of relief. She had never had any delusions that Krokar was inhospitable, but there was always a suspicion that there could be a change at any point in time. For a brief time, the Court had been such a place, after all. At least that was behind them.

Her smile widened and she let herself laugh at the title the man presented. What a title indeed! She had not heard such a thing since she had come to Nova Scotia, left on the shores of the cold north with the last person who called himself captain in her presence. Before that, her mother held the title as part of her trading group, running ships of goods between ports. It was a comfortable word and somehow brought her comfort with its familiarity.

Captain of a ship that remains on land? she asked after her hearty laugh, somehow finding her hand resting on a hip thrust sideways, a light dress and her usual jacket hiding the pregnancy well from prying eyes for the moment. Whenever the outfit tightened, though, the protrusion was far more noticeable.

A pleasure to meet you, Captain. I am Kalypso, Reine – Queen – of the Court to the southeast, she introduced without further delay, still smiling broadly. In her excitement, the refinement of her tone slipped and the thickness of a Caribbean accent crept in with ease. I have felt that we, as in the Court, have not come a calling very much in the past, and seek to rectify that. If Krokar would be so kind as to let me stay the night, at least. I would not wish to force myself upon your hospitality, she added, subconsciously laying a hand over her abdomen.

Last edited by Kalypso Savoy on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wc
KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 am

Ships and sailing were things Milos had never known, and the titles that defined what roles seamen held upon such vessels mattered little to him. But he was aware, of course, that the names of the hierarchical ranks Lucille and August had chosen were based upon such things. His smile broadened. "Nah, jus' a Captain of a pack is all," he corrected with a wink, laughing along with her in good humor.

"Queen Kalypso," Milos greeted with a respectful nod. "Reckon th' pleasure's all mine." He noticed that something had changed in her voice and allowed a spark of curiosity to shimmer. Sunny eyes watched her. The way she rested her hand over her abdomen was familiar, but Milos did not let his eyes linger long enough to see a protruding belly. More than either of these nuggets of wonder, his interest lie in what Kalypso was saying.

With a bright, beckoning gesture of his head, Milos invited the Queen of the Court past Krokar's borders. "Love t' have ya stay! En't no trouble at all!" he assured her, starting to walk further into their territory. "Reckon you're awful tired from th' trip," he surmised, glancing back at her. "Got a place for visitors – th' Parlay House – that we'll set ya up in. Would ya like t' go there now'n rest a bit'r get a little tour first?"

Either way, Milos thought that could do a fair amount of talking whichever way they went. "Glad t' have ya here, Kalypso," he added a bit later. "Been meanin' t' get out t' th' other packs myself, but heck." He offered her a sheepish chuckle. "It en't a short trip." If he remembered correctly, the last time he'd been in the Court's neighborhood, back during the summit hosted by Casa di Cavalieri, it had taken them several long, arduous days of travel before they made it. "But there's a land bridge'a sorts now, down by th' bay. Have ya heard of it?"

[WC — 342]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:03 pm

The man was amicable and it let the Courtier Queen relax her stance, feeling far more welcomed than she expected. A happy face and an eager word seemed to be more than enough to placate her at that moment, though she could still feel the ends of her skin almost like a constant reminder to be wary. Pregnancy did not sit too well with her, not based on the anxious mess she felt she was half the time, if not more than that.

Milos gestured into the pack and she bowed her head truly gratefully. She followed him, listening to his words that smacked of an origin far from Nova Scotia. It was not like her accent, colored by the languages of the tropics, but something else entirely. She could not place it but did not feel bothered by that inability. She had, after all, not been everywhere.

It's decidedly a long trip, yes, especially for me right now, she added with a slight twitch of her smile, hinting at a frown that wanted to appear but was solidly refused. But a tour would be nice. I can always rest longer afterward especially if you're offering. She did seem tired from the long trek, but it was a good kind of tired. It was the tired that came from effort exhausted rather than feeling overwhelmed with countless emotions.

As they walked, she kept her eyes around her even as Milos continued to talk. It was an easy banter and she appreciated the simplicity of the diplomacy; they were clearly not two groups at odds with one another. Small miracle that her father had not driven them all into some kind of conflict. No, that was unkind of her to think. He kept them safe for years. Kalypso ought not to be so ungrateful.

Actually, yes. That's how I came up. I visited Mistfell Vale. Actually, stumbled upon it at the end of the bridge. Thought I'd go further this time. There had been many reasons for the Savoy woman to travel so far. They were all selfish, but she could still pretend to have noble intentions.

Kalypso paused a moment, hand on her belly as she looked down slightly at Milos. It was often a necessity for she was a relatively taller woman and Milos was over half a foot shorter than she. Since you're Captain, we could talk about trade? I want to expand on the Court's relationship with the packs out this way. Do you think we could discuss something? she asked politely, though there was no pressure in her voice. Just being so far from her legitimate responsibilities left her feeling far more relaxed than she expected.

KALYPSO SAVOY

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:33 pm

A single ivory-crested ear swiveled around to funnel in her response, followed by the gentle turning of his dark head. "Are ya unwell, Queen Kalypso?" he asked, genuine concern weighing on the words. His sunny eyes, shadowed by solicitude, regarded her for a beat longer than might have been typical, before they resumed their position ahead of them. "En't no disrespect t' me, a'course, if it'd do ya good t' rest b'forehand," he assured her, flicking her a gentle smile. "So you jus' tell me whenever ya need t' rest."

With that decided, Milos lead her through the familiar foliage and into Krokar's beating heart. Fiskebyn, Aster's Fields, and Briar Patch were where most of the activity took place, and evidence of this was clear in the trodden paths and concentrated scents. As they neared this sliver of paradise, the Captain beamed back at Kalypso. "Real nifty, en't it? That landbridge?" He nodded slowly to himself. "Saw it m'self not long ago. En't th' best for transportin' goods'n such, but it's helpful for other things." He lifted an index finger pointedly. "Member'a ours, Jonah – he reckons a ferry'a sorts'd be good for movin' goods across th' bay. Might be worth a shot."

Coming up toward Aster's Fields, the scent of manure and livestock began to grow heavy. He introduced the area with his usual brightness, describing the uses Briar Patch and its neighbor, Aster's Fields, offered to Krokar. As talk shifted to trade, Milos gave his tail a gentle wag. "Be glad to," he replied agreeably. "Reckon I can show ya a bit'a what we got'n talk trade after you've rested a bit. There things in particular th' Court has need of?" Nearby, a goat bleated and a cow answered its call.

[WC — 312]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Her look grew a little tight but she did not let her smile flee her face. I'm well enough, I think. Nothing to fret about. It was a very long walk for her, even on a day where her belly was not filled with future offspring. It would be a difficult trip for anyone, but even with rest it was particularly tolling on her in more ways than one.

Kalypso knew it was no big deal to admit to Milos that she was expecting and that rest was definitely welcome. But she refused to accept it yet. She refused to acknowledge the fact such a vague possibility was currently her reality. Too much weight settled on her as she continued to walk with the Captain. A very long nap after a tour would be so much easier after some social interaction to make her feel like a person again rather than a wraith floating through the woods.

Oh, very handy, I agree. It'll be convenient in the future without having to go all the way around the bay. It seemed like such a gift that she would not look the horse in the mouth. A ferry would also be welcome, she added, almost as an afterthought. Transporting goods by boat? That would make it faster and easier to carry a lot at once. It would only be a good thing, she thought. Truly a gift.

The scent of many crossing the path reached her nose, overwhelming her senses. It was a beautiful place, truth be told, and it was clear the Krokar people had a good work ethic to achieve something so neatly done.

Trade, though, was something that Kalypso had a better time discussing than scenery. She nodded her head to Milos. That would be good. A moment, a breath later, and she looked thoughtful. The sound of animals made her turn her head, brow rising and a clear curiosity with it. Animals. We have some but I would not mind diversifying what we have. We have other things to trade for but I think livestock or even breeding would be something to discuss? she asked with obvious interest.

KALYPSO SAVOY

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Milos accepted her reassurance with a softening gaze and a firm nod, turning his head to face ahead of him once more. His offer for her to tell him whenever she needed to rest hung like a lifeline in the air between them as the Captain lead the Queen through Krokaran lands at a leisurely pace.

He gave his dark tail a gentle wag, smiling back at the woman when she commented agreeably to the idea of a ferry. "Didn't think it was such a bad idea m'self," he admitted, thinking about the former sailor and his ideas. "Might be we get somethin' t'gether," he murmured thoughtfully to himself. Then, more loudly, "Reckon we'll let ya know'f it happens." Though, the more Milos considered the idea and the positive impact it would have on Krokar, the more he wanted it to become a reality.

As Aster's Fields came into view and the smells of animals wafted into his nose, Milos breathed in deeply. There was something comforting about the scent of livestock and the Captain felt immediately centered. He turned his head pointedly at Kalypso as she talked of animals, his interest piqued. "Heck!" he chirped brightly, his smile broad. "Reckon it'd be a shame not to." he chuckled gently, continuing to lead the Reine toward the paddocks.

"Work with this lot'a livestock," he explained. "So you're talkin' t' th' right Krokaran. Got plenty'a animals reckon we'd be willin' t' trade'r arrange t' breed with some'a yours." Milos paused in front of the paddock that held the pack's sheep, goats, and cows. "Goats'n sheep'r more'a my specialty, but I know a thing'r two 'bout them others, too. What's it th' Court's got need of?"

[WC — 304]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Kalypso nodded her acknowledgement about a ferry. It would truly be a blessing for them all if such a thing came to fruition. So many goods could be transported and a real trading system could develop between the isolated peninsula and the access to the West. It would be great and maybe even a faint reminder of the many small ships that traversed the Caribbean sea trading fruit, animals, and other precious things that canines liked.

Animals, their smell, brought no such pleasure or comfort as it seemed to for Milos. Kaly had cared for chickens on her island but never found much enjoyment or amusement in rearing them. Her forte had been people and the interactions between them, hence her interest in politicking and trading. Canines could speak properly and she was not so desperate as to learn to speak to sheep and other prey. It was not a skill she had any interest in.

But they were goddamn useful.

The Reine smiled at the Captain, glad that he had been the one to stumble upon her. Wonderful, was her brief exclamation. I am not in charge of the stables or animals, but I know of what we have and what we would want. Oh, to secure a good trade, that would be beyond marvelous. We are alright on the horses, I think, but sheep and goats. That sounds interesting. She fiddled with a dangling bauble in a lock of hair, fingers twisting the glass.

We have two ewes and I would want to expand the herd. A ram would be welcome. She paused, thinking to the animals. Chickens. We have a healthy little flock but more hens would not go amiss to keep the stock healthy. She stared at the animals, feathers on her mind before her lips split in a grin. How would you like a pigeon for communication? We have a woman trained in them to start it up. Usually useless, those little creatures could be worth more than their weight in feathers.

KALYPSO SAVOY

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am

One of the goats, a shaggy nanny named Amara, bleated a wailing note when she caught scent of the dark Drover. Milos gave her a cursory glance, chuckling warmly to himself but otherwise paying the goat no attention. He knew what she wanted and he knew that she would continue to demand it, but, like a father ignoring the attention-seeking requests of a child, Milos remained resolute and kept his attention firmly on the Court's Reine.

He nodded an acknowledgement, pleased that Kalypso knew precisely what her pack was in need of despite leaving the management of their animals to someone else. Ama stretched out her thin neck and attempted to nibble at Milos' shorts, seeking the treats he often kept there. Lowering one arm, the Drover brushed the goat away but offered to scratch at her head. Though it wasn't the reaction she wanted, the doe accepted this silently while the Reine continued.

"Got a ram'r two we could part with," he said thoughtfully, mentally calculating the sheep in the herd. They had fewer rams than they had ewes, but they certainly didn't need as many as they currently had. "Could offer ya a couple'a ewes, too, if ya like." His smile grew. "An' losin' a few hens, or even a rooster'r two, wouldn't be a problem." They already had more than enough chickens and, while their eggs were delicious and their feathers useful, they were in danger of becoming overcrowded. It would benefit Krokar, and the current flock, to get rid of some of them.

As the conversation turn a turn, Milos blinked. "Pigeons, huh?" He tapped his chin thoughtfully, smiling. "Have hawks we use t' communicate with Sapient with, but I reckon pigeons'd be no diff'rent." He nodded, his eyes bright. "Heck, it'd be great t' have somethin' we could use t' communicate with you folk. My mate, Eliza, knows a thing'r two 'bout birds. Reckon she'd be the one t' talk more 'bout that with." Milos didn't say anything more about what else might entail in striking up a conversation with Eliza Cormier.

[WC &mdash 361]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

Dead Topics