taking notes

AW | Recordkeeper co-rank

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:13 am

OOC: Come help Ascher and pNPC Jonah organize/take stock of things? Or just get in the way ;D

IC:
Summer was a plentiful season full of brightness and colour: long, warm days slipped into mild nights lit by fireflies; the Spring’s young were growing steadily, Luperci and livestock alike, and there was no scrabbling for food or shelter from the harsher conditions of Winter. Summer could bring its own problems but - so far - this one had been kind to Krokar.

It was a good time to take stock, figuratively and literally. Ascher knew that if a harsh Winter came upon them his pack mates would be too busy hunting, making repairs and battling the Nova Scotian snows to keep records of the goods the pack had already accrued over the warmer months. Now was the time to make notes of the things Krokar was overflowing with and the things that were lacking.

Some might’ve found it a boring job but Ascher was in his element in the midst of the storage areas. His plan was to root out those barrels, crates or jars whose contents were getting low and to combine them into a single container. Intact boxes and jars were a precious commodity and short of making more boxes from harvested wood the Stormbringer thought he could help conserve what Krokar already had.
It was hard work which made his pads sweat and his mane stick to his cheeks but Ascher found it enjoyable. Every barrel he peeked into was like embarking on a new adventure in scent and sight – even those filled with pickled fish which made his nose crinkle.

The man grunted as he hauled a barrel, inch by inch, out into the sunlight. He peered into a blue sky, figuring he would soon be able to pause for a drink and some rest – but he didn’t want to let the barrel linger in the sun for too long. Some goods preferred cool, dry places to the blazing Summer warmth.

Ascher sucked in a deep breath, letting the scent emanating from the barrel roll over his tongue. It had the warm malty flavour of grains: animal feed. He padded back toward the shed the barrel had been lugged out of and smiled a gentle smile at the sheet of felted wool he’d hooked onto the outer wall. Ascher had been lucky to snag this wool – leftovers from the shearing that had taken place recently. He’d been less lucky in obtaining ink to write with and had resorted to a narrow stick of charcoal instead. The stick had to be handled with care as he made a note pertaining to the barrel.

“What you doing, old timer?”

The voice belonged to one of Krokar’s newer faces – or at least a face less ingrained in the Stormbringer’s memory than Gavin or Hazel’s. Ascher offered the man a smile and a wag of his tail.

“Taking stock of things we’ll be needing come the colder seasons. You’re Jonah, aren’t you?”

The sailor nodded, his gaze shifting to the barrel in the sun.

“That need to go back in there?”

Ascher’s smile widened; he was glad to have some help.

[522]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Loners
Wolf
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:05 pm

But Jonah was not the only pack member to break in on Asher's self-given job. As the light summer breeze changed, it carried with it the scent of open fields and caribou, and the sound of feet on grass and dirt. Taseko was a large man with a heavy tread, ambling unhurriedly in from the fields where the herd roamed.

He watched Asher and Jonah exchange their brief greeting, then approached more closely to read what Asher had written on the woolen sheet on the shed wall. His eyes skimmed it easily before he turned to greet the two pack members with a nod. "It'll go more quickly with more hands. I can spare mine if you're looking for another extra pair." The corners of his eyes crinkled in a slight smile. "What do you say?"

He was not an unknown sight around this area, although it was much rarer to see him here than out in the fields with his animals. But he definitely had at his command more than enough muscle mass to make moving bulky objects from inside the shed a much easier prospect. He leaned lightly against the shed wall as Jonah passed him, returning the feed barrel to its place in the dark, cool interior. Then he added, seemingly as an afterthought, “Is this just the contents of this shed?” with a nod at the wool.

OOC: Hope you don't mind Taseko for a partner :)

WC: 231

Demigold
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:27 am

OOC: Yaaaay Seko!

IC:
The sight of Krokar’s Herdsman was a welcome one. The antlered beasts weren’t the Stormbringer’s chosen type of animal – he preferred horses, birds, and things far smaller - but Ascher had always admired Taseko’s dedication to the caribou and the knowledge he seemed to exude. He came off as a steady sort, not all that dissimilar to Ascher himself, though he was younger and likely quite a bit stronger.

The outer corners of Ascher’s blue eyes creased as he waved an arm, inviting the Herdsman to join them. Jonah offered Taseko an easy smile as he stepped back into the bright sunlight, running his fingertips over the goatee at his chin.

“That sounds like an excellent plan!” Ascher agreed with a swift wag of his tail and a deep nod of his scarred muzzle.

“They say on ships that many hands make light work,” added Jonah, a winning grin stretching his dark lips.

Ascher moved towards the sheet of wool when Taseko voiced a question.

“This is as far as I’ve got,” he admitted with a rueful chuckle. “I thought I’d work from large to small – make a note of the contents of the barrels first and work my way down to boxes and jars.” His ears twitched and he shifted his gaze to each of his companions in turn. “Does that sound like a good idea?” Ascher was proud in his own way but rarely too proud to take on board sound advice. He trusted most of Krokar implicitly and saw no reason to not believe in any recommendations Jonah or Taseko might give him.

As the older man spoke he patted a hand against a barrel whose contents were yet to be revealed.

“This one’s up next. I’ve a feeling we won’t be hurting for preserved fish any time soon.”

[310]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
Wolf
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:56 pm

While this wasn't Taseko's usual line of work, he gave it the same amount of thought he would anything to do with his beloved beasts in the fields. A good question deserved a considered answer, after all.

And he did consider it, while he twitched his nose at the barrel and then opened it, just to be sure. "Hm," he said, showing teeth in a brief, amused smile. "I think you might be right. Maybe we ought to get some land hunting in before the summer's done." He glanced over at Jonah. Knowing the former sailor to be much more fond of and comfortable with the sea he added, "How about it, Jonah?" with some light amusement in the suggestion.

This aside being done, he slipped the top back on the barrel and finally answered Asher's actual question with a nod. "I think it's a very good idea. It will make reorganising everything when you're finished much easier if the big barrels are already in place. What will you do with the list there?"]/b] He nodded at the sheet on the wall. [b]"Will it stay in the shed with the supplies?"

He lifted the fish barrel onto one hip and glanced around, taking stock of the way Asher had been organising things. "Back into the shed with it?" he asked, deferring to the work Asher had already done on this project before he arrived. The difference in their ranks notwithstanding, Asher had clearly begun to put together a system, and Taseko knew better than to make more work for all of them by treading on it.

WC: 266

Demigold
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am

“That’s partly why I wanted to check over what we already had,” Ascher explained, a gentle smile turning up the edges of his mouth. “Better to think about hunting and preserving meat now than to run into Winter and discover that we’re lacking the food we need.” The elder wolf let out a light chuckle when Taseko invited Jonah to join in the land hunting. For his part, the seafaring dog seemed to take it in good humour and actually appeared to consider it for a few moments.

“I’m game,” the Leomaris man crowed. “Can’t be so different to spear fishing – and your deer and elk are bigger than a fish, right?”

“Think of it as hunting a hairy whale,”
Ascher suggested with mirth twinkling in his gaze.

The topic soon returned to the task the trio had thrown themselves into with Taseko approving of Ascher’s systematic approach to organizing the storage area. Ascher’s tail swept as he considered the Herdsman’s next question. The felted sheet of wool seemed too good a resource to burn or otherwise waste.

“Maybe it can live on the inside of the door – though I suppose then we’d have to make sure our pack mates kept it up to date,” the Stormbringer mused, nodding toward the shed as his pack mate heaved the barrel onto his hip. “Yes, please. Do let me take the next one, though. I may not be as young as the pair of you but I’m not decrepit just yet.” The mild protest was coated in humour but truly Ascher hoped he would be allowed to do some of the heavy lifting – it was only fair.

Rather than waiting for confirmation that he could grab the next barrel, Ascher moved into the shed and cast a look around for the next large item. There were a couple of barrels remaining before they would need to start hauling out the crates and boxes and Ascher made to lift one onto his hip the way Taseko had done.

It refused to budge and a taste of the air told Ascher it contained fruit. Judging by a notch in the lower portion of the barrel some mice had already sampled its contents.

“Fruit,” he declared as he waved Jonah over to assist in lugging it outside. “Probably better off being fermented than fed directly to the livestock, considering the mice have been at it.” His brows pushed together in a look of mild concern. “I do wonder if there’s a way to reinforce the barrels. A thought for another day, perhaps.”

“Taseko, how are the caribou doing?”
Ascher might not have had much of a golden touch with Krokar’s antlered herd but he enjoyed listening to those who were passionate about them.

[468]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
Wolf
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Standing back obligingly, Taseko let Asher into the shed for the next barrel, but he took up most of the doorway as he stepped in to look at what had been found. "I can't say I've seen a whale," he said. "But if you're good with a spear in the water, you'll probably be good on land." Amusement in his voice and the glance between Asher and Jonah, he let the topic fall behind in preference to the fruit barrel. He eyed it quizzically.

"Next time I see Gavin," he said at length, "I'll put it to him. If anybody knows a good way to strengthen those barrels, he will." He shrugged his shoulders. "The harder job might be making sure the list is updated. Not everyone can write. They would have to bring their updates to someone who can."

Another gentle shrug: While this was obviously a problem, it wasn't so life-threatening that he was willing to disturb his calm over it. As far as he was concerned, it was minor in the scheme of things, something that could definitely be sorted given a little thought. He stepped aside, allowing Jonah to slip by him and lend his efforts to getting the barrel off the ground. The former sailor took a moment to get a good grip on it, then nodded to Asher as a silent signal and put his weight behind a lift.

Taseko seemed content to stand back out of the way and watch the two of them lug that barrel out, casting his eyes across the remaining barrel, then the crates, boxes and jars stacked about the space. There was a lot in this job. Caribou herding was a job that took a lot of patience and, only at times, a lot of strength. This was more of a strength job.

Speaking of the caribou ... he straightened up off the wall a little, keeping an eye on the progress of his packmates while an easy smile settled across his face. "They're doing well," he said. "None of them have been sick this season. It's more than I can expect some years. You're always welcome out in the fields to do a little bonding with them." His tone was not serious. While he generally found company in the fields enjoyable, because in that big open space there was always some work to be done, and it was much less crowded and busy than the village, he also did not want for extra hands. Between Milos, who still joined him despite his new rank as Captain, and the other Herdsman and occasional drop-ins from the Drovers, he was not alone out there, generally speaking, when he didn't need to be.

WC: 452

Demigold
Luperci

Dead Topics