Slipping Out Early

[p] - Percival

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:20 am

Doubtless there were those that thought Bramble should have moved out of the family home long ago, but in all honesty, the young Parhelion found that his days were filled with chores, and when he did get a spare moment, he would often be climbing or training. Bramble spent very little time in the home and only came back to raid the cupboards of find some floorspace to crash. With his parents’ growing brood though, he’d started to think about leaving more seriously, not to mention leaving undetected would be much easier, and today he certainly wanted to leave undetected. Despite being an adult and having the power to do as he pleased, his parents technically outranked him and though they’d never tried anything like it before, there was always the chance, besides there was also the nagging and if there wasn’t that, the worried looks, they were the worst.

He’d risen early and prepared everything the night before. Despite it being summer, it was still dark outside, that’s how early it was. Bramble had a long trek ahead of him, he was planning a free climb, and the object of his climb was outside of Krokar’s boarders. It was a difficult one, by far the most dangerous he’d ever tried, but he was excited and couldn’t wait. He was going to try and free climb the peak of a mountain. It might have been foolhardy and reckless, but the thought of it make his heart pound and he felt alive. So alive he didn’t pay as close attention as he might have, and stepped on a board that creaked. Instantly he froze, his ears swivelling from side to side, as he listened, there was no change in anyone’s breathing and he let out a slow and silent breath of relief, before continuing towards the door with a little more care.
Krokar
Greenhorn
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Percival hadn't always been a light sleeper, but something in him – growing pain, perhaps, or an expanding mind – was becoming more and more restless. Sprawled out before the fireplace on their pile of furs – the very spot, he had been told, that his older brothers had occupied when they were young boys – the youngest of the Cormier-Parhelion brood slept. Percy was fitful, tossing and turning and making whimpering sounds in his sleep, but it wasn't until Daisy kicked him in the nose that he fully awoke. Pushing her back with his own oversized paws, his wild-haired sister didn't seem to even notice as her snores filled his ears.

And then so, too, did a creak of the floorboards.

With his arms and legs, toes and nails, stretched gracelessly out, the young Guppy froze and listened. Though no other creaks followed, Percival was distinctly aware of a presence. Caught somewhere between curiosity and fear, the child rolled his pudgy body over and lifted himself up by his feet, his ears low and his tail lower, and then crept around his mother's overstuffed armchair. The sharp curvature of his shoulderblades rolled beneath the loose skin of his back as he sneaked, afraid of what he would find on the ther side of that furniture that his mother loved so much.

Percival's nutmeg eyes were wide when, at last, he crept around the armchair. But the moment he saw – or, rather, recognized – who it was, the boy's body melted into a fit of wriggles and wags. He licked at the air toward his older brother and scrambled toward him. But just as he was about to open his mouth and ask what Bramble was doing, his brother lurched forward – quicker than what seemed possible to the Guppy – and closed his hand around Percy's muzzle. Then, in another fluid motion that had the youngster's head spinning, the elder Parhelion whisked him through the door and into the dark of the night.

"I'm gonna take my hand off your muzzle now," his brother whispered "But you gotta promise me you won't make any loud noise."

Bewildered, the child could only nod and, as promised, Bramble removed his hand and his muzzle was freed. "What are you doing?" Percival began at a volume much too loud, but quickly lowered it when his elder brother gestured for him to. "Are you goin' somewhere?" The boy wagged his tail, eager to join in on whatever it was that Bramble was doing.

OOC: Heheheheh.

[WC — 425]

Krokar
Guppy
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 pm

After a quiet night, and now so acutely aware of loud noises, his younger brother’s bad volume control was like being jolted awake. Bramble’s entire body convulsed at the loudness and as he gestured for Percy to quiet down, he glanced quickly at the house. Looking abashed his younger brother lowered his voice and continued talking. Bramble’s heart slowed a little and he looked at his smaller brother.

”Yes-“ the moment he said the word he regretted it. Bramble could have said anything, he was going to do some chores or work, or something that would have instantly meant Percy would have become disinterested.

”I’m going to start my chores early.”

As recoveries went, it was a good one, but that yes, that had probably piqued the youngster’s interest and somehow the Guppies became uncanny lie detectors. In the pause that followed, Bramble watched the collage of emotion play across the Guppy’s face. First there was excitement, then disappointment, which was there for quite a while and then a horrible sort of deviousness. Bramble knew that his brother was about to say something he thought was incredibly clever. Bramble knew he had to act quickly. It was important he stem this planning stage and take control of the situation. Squatting down, and placing a loving hand confidingly on Percy’s shoulder, the Parhleion wit the mismatched eyes began speaking to his brother, in a calm and genuine tone.

”Perc, I just need to go and do some stuff okay. Just go back to bed and stay warm, I’m just going to do some boring stuff. If ma or pa ask where I went, just tell them I’m working.”

Damnit, this situation was already getting too complicated.

”In fact, you know what, just let’s pretend you didn’t see me okay? Play a trick on them where we don’t tell them I left.”

Bramble really had to give some thought to that new place to live, he loved his family dearly, but he was beginning to feel like a criminal sneaking around the place.
Krokar
Greenhorn
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 pm

The sweeping wag of his tawny tail slowed and, brows heavy over nutmeg eyes, Percival's excitement faded to disappointment. Chores? Chores were boring. But a thought weaseled its way down into the Guppy's little head and the letdown began to brighten again. The dull, pinched look began to shift, Percy's face brightening once more until a devious smile began to spread his dark lips. In his head, it all made perfect sense: Percy would just help Bramble with his chores and then they could do something fun!

But whether because Bramble noticed the thought blossoming in his brother's young head or from some other reason, the elder Parhelion knelt beside him and rested a loving hand on his shoulder. Percival gave his head a shake. "No, Bram! I don't wanna be in bed and warm – that's boring. I wanna help you!" Wrinkles and creases rippled across the Guppy's wiry face as he frowned deeply into Bramble's mismatched eyes.

Percival could be terribly stubborn when he wanted to be. And, right now, he definitely wanted to go wherever Bramble was going. Especially because his brother didn't want him to.

Pursing his lips and frowning up into Bramble's mismatched eyes, Percival said firmly, "I'm gonna tell." Precisely what he would say to his mother and father, the youth didn't really know. But he knew that Bramble was being awfully secretive and, when the Guppy himself was trying to be quiet and secretive like that, it usually meant that he was doing something his parents wouldn't want him to. Percy assumed that the same was true for his older brother. Why else would he be sneaking around? "If you don't lemme come with, I'm gonna tell on you."

[WC — 300]

Krokar
Guppy
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Bramble wanted to be annoyed, he really did, but he found he couldn’t be. His small brother had the stubborn streak that spoke of the Cormier in him, and watching Perc using guile, well that was something else. It was akin to watching one of the ponies struggling with a particularly sticky piece of honeycomb. The Parhelion with the mismatched eyes had hoped to wander out of the lands and climb somewhere, but now his desire for that thrill warred with a memory Bramble had thought resolved. The memory was of Allie and how she’d been taken, and he’d been helpless to stop it. Once again was a pack mate, a family member even, who was in his responsibility, and if he went outside of the territory….Bramble’s mouth went dry, the his air remained relaxed and easy, feigning a sternness he didn’t feel. He was being foolish, would he live the rest of his life in fear? The pair would be fine, the older Parhelion didn’t have to do a crazy climb, perhaps just a steep walk to a cliff top with some good views, not too far from the territory. Bramble nodded, as though finally coming to the conclusion of a brief discussion with himself.

”Okay okay, y’ can come with me, but it needs to be our secret, if y’ tell ma and pa I won’t bring y’ out again y’ hear?”

Bramble straightened up and moved to the side of the house, where he retrieved a small sack which bulged in odd places. Setting the strap comfortably over one shoulder he looked back at his younger brother, the guppy’s almost roly-poly appearance speaking to a Luperci that still had plenty of growing to do.

”Y’ make sure y’ let me know if y’ get tired while we walk and I’ll give y’ a lift. Make sure you stay close, and do as I tell y’ bro or folks’ or no, I’ll truss y’ up like a sheep and carry y’ home.”

His words were said with a smile so as not to intimidate his younger sibling, that wasn’t Bramble’s intention, but his words were deadly serious. Family was important and Bramble would brook no disobedience when they were outside of the territory, especially since he already felt his heart quicken at the thought of taking Perc outside of Krokar. Both the walk and conversation were easy. Bramble made sure the pace was relaxed so the smaller Luperci didn’t feel he had to scramble to keep up. The Parhelion with the mismatched eyes felt at ease in the company of most people, and unlike many families, Bramble was not a sibling that begrudged the company of his younger brothers or sisters.

As they approached the Krokar’s border, Bramble felt his hands begin to tremble. It wasn’t violent, but no matter how tightly he curled his fist around the strap of the sack, he wouldn’t stop. His mouth also had become very dry, and his heart quickened. Bramble could hear Percy speaking, but he wasn’t concentrating on the younger luperci’s words. Instead a ringing sound began to drown all other noise and the memory of Allie’s kidnapping burst to the surface.

”Wait!”

Bramble said, stopping in his tracks. He didn’t want to scare his young brother, but Bramble knew he couldn’t go outside of the territory with him. In his head he knew it was foolish, but nothing could stop Bramble from fearing another failure.

”I…”

He said a little lamely, doing his best to think of something on the fly.

”I think it’d be more fun if we went to sister lake, swim there for a while.”

There were no mountains in Krokar that could compare to the ones outside, and the climbing would never be as exciting, but he just couldn’t bear to take a beloved family member from the pack lands.
Krokar
Greenhorn
Draiko
Luperci

Krokar