[PROJECT] Flora and Fauna

POSTED: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

====== Wiki Flora and Fauna ======

Hello! You may have noticed, we've started a few sections to finally move our Flora and Fauna page on the RP Guide to the Wiki. This project has been under construction for quite some time.

The Flora and Fauna pages are still under construction. At present our pages are:

DISCUSSION: Organization of Pages?

At present, we're not really ''extremely'' happy with the above stated form of organization -- but so, too, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have individual pages for plants that don't super-matter (hence why some plants are simply listed on the Flora page, while other, more useful plants have their own pages). We think it may be better for the Flora page itself to have a complete listing of all plants, whether the plant is only noted in a simple list or if it has a dedicated page.

The Fauna section should be easier. We are hoping to simply create pages for each NATIVE or INVASIVE or FORMERLY DOMESTICATED species. We do not want pages for exotic species only kept as companion animals once or twice.

To Do

Flora Section

• Pull more definitions of plant and garden terms from random plant pages
  • Clean up everything -- lots of Wikipedia copypasta/possible typos!
  • Ugh change !Plants to !Flora category tag

Fauna Section

• Shorebirds, other birds pages need (see Songbirds for completed example):
    • Research & information
    • Organizing (by migratory/year round >type)
  • Move "Grouse" pg to "other birds" pg
  • Salamanders, toads, frogs pg -- information
  • Rodents page -- information
  • Horses page -- REDIRECT to Member Guide on horses
  • Voles page
  • Research and add uses for lots of creatures. Notes on fur were included for some animals, but then other uses (animal glue, whatever oils can be obtained from whales etc.) aren't so obvious -- those are the ones we really, really would love to have!

Images

• Add proper icons (plants): see RPG Inventory Icons
  • ALL FLORA PAGES need images D:
  • Images for the following Fauna:
    • bats: silver-haired bat
    • star nosed mole
    • fish
    • goat
    • insects
    • other birds
    • pig
    • poultry
    • rodents
    • salamanders, frogs, etc.
    • seals: harp seal + hooded seal
    • shorebirds
    • shrew
    • skunk
    • snake: ring-necked, garter, green, corn snakes
    • turtle: painted turtle
    • vole
    • weasel
    • whales

Resource Links

These go on eventual fauna Areas page. Find a neat link? Submit it!

• http://canadianbiodiversity.mcgill.ca/english/species/index.htm
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_Canada
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amphibians_of_Canada
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Canada
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_birds_of_Eastern_Canada

Later Game Information To Do

• WIKI AREAS + FORUM: Flora and Fauna sections of both FORUM HEADER & TERR LIST -- when done w/ all else
Myrika Tears

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:07 am

Darp darp

So I have the next few days off, amazingly, and between other projects am going to try and work on this. :3 Wanted to see if more people were interested!
Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:16 am

whisper whisper
i'm always interested in the wiki

But yeh seeing as I don't have anything planned for basically all of June I can definitely help with this at some point :D !

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:43 am

Did someone say flora and fauna research? I may be elementary at coding such things, but I am a passionate researcher of plants, furs, and little creatures.
Nero Napier

Owl
Luperci
LUCEAT LUX VESTRA
Into Darkness

POSTED: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:37 am

I don't think I trust myself with redirecting, reorganising and research, but I've been trawling through the RPG Inventory Icons and adding icons to some pages, specifically:
* Cow
* Fish
* Mole
* Bat
* Goat
* Sunflower
* Maple
* Mint
* etc.

I also added a photo for the star-nosed mole, goat, maple, mint, sunflower and bearberry. ;)

edit: I've decided to dedicate a bit of my spare time to this project. :P For some reason I've become addicted to the wiki. In any case, I'll probably be doing 2-6 pages once every few days. Yeah. :)
Last edited by Maciel Lopez on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks, Heart! You're awesome 8D
Myrika Tears

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:52 am

'Welcome, and hello again. :D

Anyway, I was editing up the Broadleaf Plantain page (http://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Resources.BroadleafPlantain) and I found out that both the latin name and wikipedia link were completely wrong. (Latin name was for buckwheat, wikipedia link lead to some kind of tree).

I've corrected it, but I just wanted to tell you guys about it here, anyway. :P Just in case it turns out that this a common problem that needs to be dealt with, or something like that.

Just realised that "Clean up everything -- lots of Wikipedia copypasta/possible typos!" probably refers to this. :P Heheh.

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 am

Added pics for:
Silver Haired bat
Skunk
Long-tailed Weasel
All dem Voles
Whales
Pigs
Painted turtle
Insects (Termites + Firefly)
Seals (hooded + harp)
Shorebirds (Atlantic Puffin + Laughing Gull + Common tern)
Poultry (everything)
Salamanders, Frogs, Toads (5 species)
Fish (6 species)
Rodents (4 species)
Snakes (all)

Also:
I added pics for the Goat and Star Nosed Mole pages back in August. ;)

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:23 pm

I am willing to help with flora because Nyla brought seeds with her and I would like to see some of them IC and available for others to find an use. Also what herbs can be used for healing, what ones are poisonous etc. i would like to help as much as I can on this to help my IC writing. There are a lot of soft and hard woods that should also be put in because those who know how to craft bows and things could use soft and hard wood references. I will be adding information as I go. I can't do the coding part but i can at least do the research and help part.
Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Dee

Wiki Collaboration