trash wanting to turn into treasure

Amateur artist trying to get better

POSTED: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm an amateur artist and I'm starting to try to draw my characters in their Optime form. I'm really new to anthro-wolves, drawing characters facing forward, and drawing anything human-like.
I don't have a scanner at the moment so I had to take these with my phone. so the quality is pretty bad.

First attempt! Avinalora in Optime in her summer outfit and Avinalora is Lupus on the side. (This was during math and busting out color pencils would make me look suspicious)

Second attempt! Same thing.

Avinalora wearing an outfit I'm thinking of giving her. (Leg quality is horrible because I did the head first instead of feet first.)

Any feedback? Tips?
(Am I even allowed to post this?)

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:35 am

More generally you would post this in Art Help and Discussion, but I think it's alright???

I also think that these attempts are very good (mine were much worse when I first started sketching my charries) and like the way you do your faces.

I personally recommend looking up more stuff on anatomy from the Role play Guide here. In other things, it all depends what kind of look your going for, realistic, toony/manga, or yours own thing. :)

in any case I also think your should practice proportions on your arms and legs
Khyren
Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Ben
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:32 am

Heya! I'm not the best artist although hopefully I can give you some few tips o:

Before you start tackling Luperci/anthro anatomy, I would really recommend getting acquainted with human anatomy, since that will help you out a bunch! There are loads of books and tutorials that can help you out.

There is a pretty neat guide for drawing anthro animals in general that I found which actually covers A LOT more than just that: click here!

Hopefully this little tidbit will help some <3 your art looks beautiful thus far, so keep up the good work !!
pull the stars down from the sky

lay your head down next to mine

Kite
Luperci
ocean eyes

POSTED: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I actually always start with a human stick/base first. Then I add the dog like parts. I also have two books on drawing furries that have helped a lot (they have anthro examples for many animals) I am not the best in the world either, I have problems with hands and feet still.

Don't be afraid to look at real life stuff either! I have improved on poses by looking at stock(usually on DA) of different poses, on top of just watching people in general. If you feel uncomfortable watch others, look at yourself instead!! I have used my own hands for different poses on grips, and have looked at my clothes to help me improve on wrinkles.

Oh there is also a program called DesignDoll. It's free and has 3D doll like figures that you can mess with on pose or use a wooden 3D model found in most art stores (I have even seen them at Wall-Mart) if that works better for you (tho those will not help with fingers or toes lol)

POSTED: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Lots of excellent advice! Exploring anatomy and references will be very beneficial, check those things out!

I think you're doing a great job first off.

However, I have to disagree about not starting with a luperci. I think you should actually use this interest of yours to fuel your research. Don't know quite how to draw an anthro leg? Use this chance to gather reference material, dog legs, human legs, etc and then try to incorporate that research into the drawing of your character.

What you desire to draw comes first, ESPECIALLY when you're just starting out. You want this to be as fun for yourself as possible! Drawing things you don't want to draw will not stick in your brain as much as trying to fix and rework your own invention. Naturally, over time you'll start to expand your research, which might mean you draw those other things too, but first and foremost - draw from your imagination and use real references to improve your work.

Reference should never be your starting point, reference should always be just that - reference! (Which isn't to say you can't be inspired by a reference, but you'll find you love a drawing and find it so much more fascinating to work on when it comes purely from your own mental library).
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Alaine     Avatar by San

San
Luperci Angler, Carpenter, Striker Tusk Stubborn Love bbleeearrrrghhhhhh
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Khyren wrote:I also think that these attempts are very good (mine were much worse when I first started sketching my charries) and like the way you do your faces. I personally recommend looking up more stuff on anatomy from the Role play Guide here. In other things, it all depends what kind of look your going for, realistic, toony/manga, or yours own thing. :)

Faces? That was the first time I ever did faces that way!

Camellia Amaranthe wrote:There is a pretty neat guide for drawing anthro animals in general that I found which actually covers A LOT more than just that: click here!Hopefully this little tidbit will help some <3 your art looks beautiful thus far, so keep up the good work !!

Thanks Kite! The guide was really helpful!

Slave wrote:I also have two books on drawing furries that have helped a lot (they have anthro examples for many animals) I am not the best in the world either, I have problems with hands and feet still. Don't be afraid to look at real life stuff either! I have improved on poses by looking at stock(usually on DA) of different poses, on top of just watching people in general. If you feel uncomfortable watch others, look at yourself instead!! I have used my own hands for different poses on grips, and have looked at my clothes to help me improve on wrinkles.

Hands and feet will be the end of me :). I've been "art dumpster diving" through probably every art thread in 'Souls. I also found out that 'Souls had a DA! Its helping me improve!

Semini wrote:However, I have to disagree about not starting with a luperci. I think you should actually use this interest of yours to fuel your research. Don't know quite how to draw an anthro leg? Use this chance to gather reference material, dog legs, human legs, etc and then try to incorporate that research into the drawing of your character.

Humans are IMPOSSIBLE for me to draw. I can't really do straight lines or whatever it takes to draw people. Its so much easier to draw fur than skin.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:17 pm

I practiced some more on my drawing!

Avinalora in Lupus form because I got bored in class.

Avinalora in her parka! (I have no idea how to do the fury hood)

And yet another Avinalora in a dress

And saving the best for last! Avinalora in a modified version of her dress. I mean look at those legs!

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:18 pm

I was trying to draw a tanuki (Japanese raccoon dog) and ended up drawing a Luperci in Secui form!

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:53 pm

These are looking good. :) the proportions are doing good and I love the different variations of your Charector.

If you'd like some more constructive criticism, I'd like to suggest you explore difforent ways to draw your Charector so that you can figure out your style, unless you already have then *thumbs up*. Other then that I like the side views, they're pretty cute. :p
Khyren
Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Ben
Luperci

Art Help and Discussion