Blur when resizing?

POSTED: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi guys! I was wondering if any art program-savvy person could help me here. ;_;

I'm a person who usually draws with big canvases and high resolutions (I usually work at 50% and an average canvas can reach 2000x2000) and usually I don't have a problem resizing but whenever I try to make, say, a 200x200 avatar for 'Souls, I wind up with blurriness/lost of detail when resizing?

(Pictured below: the original file resized manually using code versus avatar resized within the program)

I use Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio 5 but I also run into the problem when testing out Paint Tool Sai. I'd just avoid the problem all together by working on a smaller canvas but my device runs at a high resolution and that makes it impossible... orz

Any advice would be appreciated!
It’s easy to explain 'cause this world’s not tame

Shannah
Luperci
little fang

POSTED: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:40 pm

I have the same problem with Photoshop - what I usually do is just play with the sharpness once it's been downsized until it looks halfway decent. Would love to know a proper solution. Dx

Avatar by Eve; Siggy by Songbird
Salsola
The Henchman (NPC)
Eve
Cazador, Veleno
VIRULENT
Valar Morghulis

POSTED: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:45 pm

I also have the same problem :/ it's very inconvenient because the blur makes it look bad xD
Nyx

Loners
Wolfdog
Corie
Luperci Mate to Lukos Bound by blood, never alone.

POSTED: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 am

Sometimes I'll run a Filter>Sharpen on resized art to do just that, sharpen it up. Image>Adjustments>Levels and upping contrast a little post-resizing can also help.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine

event schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:37 am

Depending on the type of art, sometimes I'll apply the image, run Filter>High Pass between 3-10 px (depending on size) and run that duplicate layer on Overlay. It just boosts contrast around edges more than sharpen the entire layer, but it looks slightly different from just a Filter>Sharpen layer. Sometimes I do a mix of both to get it looking right. Most of the time I just make a Filter>Sharpen layer and put it on 100% Opacity and 50% Fill.
Commissions are on hold for right now until I can free up my schedule a little more to work on them. PM this account or message me on Discord if you're interested, but keep in mind that they may take a while!
Salsola
The Associate (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci
teeth of the combine

Art Help and Discussion