Question regarding clipart

POSTED: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 pm

So by now it should be known that I make candles and I can't draw. I did a first run for wax melts today and I was thinking of looking for clipart to tape to the clamshells in order to depict the scent. What I was wondering if this is a good idea or not since I plan on selling whatever extras I make. Would it be illegal to profit off of clipart? Should I just commission someone to make me things and talk over a price to use it? For the batch I made today I would need a strawberry cheesecake, so not exactly something unique. I just basically want to know the proper way to go about things for when I start to make more.

Luperci I FOUND THE BUNNIES Gold Soldier of Love
Faerie-Blooded

POSTED: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:01 pm

I think it's fine to use clipart, but remember to check for usage guidelines on the clipart. There are lots of sites, like this one, that have royalty-free clipart/stock images/graphics that you can use without issue. Other sites let you license work for a small fee, which is usually still much cheaper than commissioning an artist.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

con schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm

The site you linked was the one I was planning on looking on. So, just to clarify, if I find something there and use it I will be okay? I just don't want to step on any toes or anything. I just figured then when I get out to messing with candles some more (and eventually soap) I should put some sort of picture or label on it to show off the scent (because I am likely to forget what the scents are if I do them in multiple batches like I sometimes tend to do).

Faerie-Blooded

POSTED: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Yup, you should be fine to use stuff from that site!
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

con schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks so much for all your help.

Faerie-Blooded