Transparent Avatars?

POSTED: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 pm

I had noticed many of the people on here use avatars with transparent backgrounds. The problem for me is that my current photo-taking program Snagit 13 doesn't really allow that. The closest I could get is hand drawn photo borders, which is really bad when I do it. Is there any way to work around this or is there a software that lets you have transparent backgrounds in photos?
I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side...

Cloudy Irill

Joann
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 pm

GIMP is free and lets you make transparent backgrounds via a few tools. There is also SAI, Freeware Alpaca, Inkscape, and Kirta.

I prefer GIMP because it's easy to use :) I either use the Fuzzy Select tool and select the background and then delete it. But, sometimes it doesn't work so then I select the background, right click, and then do Select > invert and the copy. Then I do File > Create from clipboard and viola, avatar!

Also, your sig might be broken. Count your div tags! It's either too many or too little <3

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 am

If the image you're working with already has a transparent background, all ya gotta do is save it as a PNG and it'll keep the transparent background :)
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 pm

https://www140.lunapic.com/editor/?action=transparent

You can use some online editors like this to select a colour and it’ll make whatever you selected transparent. It’s definitely not perfect or as clean as Photoshop or Painter SAI, but a decent resort to those without those programmes (I had to use this method before, I feel ya).

signature image by Lin
Cour des Miracles
Baronnet (NPC)
Pablo
Luperci

Art Help and Discussion