Smell and Sound is All I Need

All welcome! For Medic Co-Rank

POSTED: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:59 pm

Avinalora
"Been looking forward to the future But my eyesight is going bad"
Optime | Morning, Early August | Kingsweald
Avinalora is gathering herbs! Want to help her? Talk to her? All are welcome! Update: Edited because I derped and wrote "Sight" instead of "Sound" :p
WORD COUNT

The forest was quiet as the moonwashed maiden padded down a well-traveled path. The female was on one of her normal herb gathering trips to the Herbalist's Avalon. Her brother had decided not to argue with her about going alone as his sister was very independent and wouldn't tolerate being treated like a cripple. The darkling had opted to go check his traps and Avinalora knew that he would check back on her soon because he worried about her safety. The Pollux often snorted at this. She would hear anyone coming towards her and she would be able to find her way back since she had made this journey before. If she was confronted by a hostile creature, which Avinalora doubted would happen, after all they were on an island and there was a slim chance something like a bear or cougar would not be detected. Still, the healer kept her ears pricked.

The silver vixen's pace was slow due to having short strides and her handicapped leg. She briefly considered shifting into Lupus so that she could get there faster as the she-jackal would be able to run quickly on her four, well three legs. She decided against the shifting since she would have a hard time carrying her clothes and satchel in such a small shape. The ivory jackal didn't really consider the option of Secui as the female had never really taken the Halfling form. She didn't know how it would look and preferred she speed over strength.

The ravenette kept on walking in her bipedal form. This was the reason she had set out in the morning so that she didn't have to rush. The silver-furred Luperci had always been an early riser so going out at this hour was no problem. She then started to hum one of the songs that floated around in her head. She didn't want to wake anyone up at such an early hour. Avinalora could tell that she was almost to the Avalon as the wind started to blow towards her, bringing the pungent scent of herbs. A grin pulled at the edges of the mist-hued girl's maw as she got closer.

Template by Andi
Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:18 am

SKANA CREO
If I showed you my flaws, if I couldn't be strong
Optime | Herbalist’s Avalon
This looked lonely, hope you don’t mind me (and my giant post)! Skana’s a medic too, so I figured it’d be good if they met! :)
WORD COUNT

It had been a while since the mother had been able to do something without one or both of her children wanting to tag along. They were to spend time with their father that day though, learning some more Dutch or perhaps being familiarized with fighting with their uncle—her brother’s—help. This meant that the Cygnus was free to do as she pleased for the day. No birds, no children, no boys to fret and fuss over. She could go and do whatever she wanted.

She’d set off early towards the Avalon, a treasure trove for any and all that had an interest in the medical field. Despite her being largely free of her usual responsibilities, her mind never really left “work.” It would have been a waste to not visit the site that was packed with herbs of all types, particularly when the air was still relatively cool and the sun had yet to dry up the morning dew. As well, perusing through the various plants would be less tedious now when the sun wasn’t constantly beaming down onto one’s coat. Though the medic had visited the site a few weeks prior, there were bound to be more herbs that were ready and mature enough for collecting this time around as there had been during the previous venture with her daughter and Merlin. Timing was everything, and the stores would need to be stocked come winter time.

Skana leisurely picked her way through the forest. She wasn’t in any true rush to get to the location, knowing full well that it wouldn’t be going anywhere. A distinctly foreign scent reached her nostrils as she drew closer and closer to the Avalon though, and the she-wolf found her pace altering to intersect their path. She’d heard that there were a few newcomers to the Shores. Perhaps this was one of them.

It wasn’t long before she found the source of the new smell. A mixture of light, monochrome hues, the Luperci stood out against the colorful world around her. There was also the matter that she was rather tiny when compared to the silver she-wolf. Her dimensions reminded Skana of that of a fox; slender face, longer ears, small and lithe bone structure. Even covered with clothing, it was obvious that the stranger was not built like the coyotes, dogs, or other wolves Skana was used to seeing.

“Headed to the Avalon?” The Cygnus hailed over the distance in a friendly tone. She drew closer to the limping female, taking care to make sure she gave the appearance of an approaching ally as to not spook the stranger. Even though her scent was new to Skana, she could already smell hints of the pack already becoming woven into it. The one before her was likely one of the new Polluxes to join the ranks. Skana adjusted her own satchel, slowing her longer strides as she came within a good conversational length between them.

“I’m Skana Creo, Cygnus,” she introduced after a beat with a polite dip of her head.

Tell me honestly, would you still love me the same?
Template by Andi || Image by xgauchex
Skana Creo
Avatar by San | Siggy Chibi by Alaine

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:16 am

Avinalora
"Can we create something beautiful and destroy it? Nobody knows I dream about it, this is my imagination. - Disasterology"
Optime | Morning, Early August | Kingsweald
Sorry I took so long to reply! *Desperately try's to make post longer and not use the same word over and over*
WORD COUNT

The moon-washed maiden's ears pricked as she heard someone approaching her. Her nostrils flared as she carefully picked up the scent. She could detect the scent of a Luperci, earthy smells, pine, and herbs. She could also smell about four different scents on the wolf and birds. Avinalora had very keen senses due to her lack of vision and even as a yearling, she was able to warn her mother of incoming patients as they neared the den.

She turned around and stopped walking as she heard a voice call out a question. Was she going to the Avalon? A brief wave of anxiety passed over the heterochromia-eyed girl. She often didn't initiated conversations with others unless Jarix was around because he was her eyes. She couldn't really make out expressions because of her horrible vison and the vixen didn't want to come off as weak though her appearance often screamed it. She took a deep breath to calm her racing thoughts. "I'll be fine. I'll be fine." She recited to herself and then decided to answer the question.

"Yes." The silver-hued female replied in a quiet and polite tone. Unlike most instances, she didn't use the sarcastic voice that was normal for her meeting strangers but she could guess that the approaching wolf was a healer, and in Avinalora's book, healers already earned her respect for all the things they do.

As the female got closer, the ivory medic could see more details. The woman was tall with grey fur of different hues and brown markings. She also had blue eyes that Avinalora thought was quite pretty. The female also seemed to have wrappings on her hand which the healer was intrigued by. Had she been injured? Did she wear it for some reason?

The raven-haired girl was pulled out of her thoughts by an introduction. The woman stated her name as Skana Creo, a Cygnus. She noticed that many around here had last names that Jarix and she didn't have but she put that thought at the back of her mind since it wasn't needed at the moment. Skana Creo seemed like a nice name and it rolled of the tongue. The off-white female pondered what a "Cygnus" was. She had already learned of her rank, a Pollux which basically a newcomer. Was a Cygnus higher up than a Pollux? Since Skana smelled much like Midnight Shores, she could guess that the Cygnus had been a member for a long time. Then, the girl remembered to answer the Creo woman's question.

"I'm Avinalora, a Pollux." She replied and made a respectful nod of her head. She was unsure of how much acknowledgment of one's rank she would have to do but without even thinking, the foxlike Luperci started to submit. Her large ears lowered an inch or two, and her bottlebrush tail tucked a little between her legs.

Template by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:47 pm

SKANA CREO
Sorry for the wait!
WORD COUNT

The answer she received was simple and to the point, though, there was an obviously polite edge to it. Still, it was spoken softly when there was no reason—that Skana could see—for it. Had she scared the smaller female, or had her inquiry been cause for shy admission? Skana couldn’t be certain. She’d never met the Pollux before, and couldn’t attest to the reason behind any of it. At the very least, it seemed the long-eared hybrid had some manners to her, which boded well for a first impression.

Skana’s introduction was followed by a short pause as it seemed the other was considering something. It made the Creo wonder if, perhaps, the hybrid hadn’t been fully indoctrinated just yet. It was the only reason Skana could come up with, other than maybe the smaller woman was just processing the information that had been offered to her. There hadn’t been a look of recognition on her face, so that had ruled out the Pollux from having heard of Skana from somewhere.

After a beat, the female offered her name, and Skana nodded acceptingly, “A pleasure to meet you, Avinalora.” The Creo didn’t feel the need to point out that she had already had a strong assumption of what Avinalora’s rank would have been. It was neither here nor there.

When the raven-haired female began to show submission, Skana’s hands rose and she shook her head, gesturing that the actions weren’t necessary. “No, no! You don’t need to do that. Just relax and be yourself.” Within reason, but, she was sure that went without saying.

“How do you like the pack so far?” She inquired, wanting to allow for Avinalora to be comfortable with her presence. The Cygnus gestured for the two of them to move along, directing their path so that it continued towards the Avalon. “You’re a healer as well, I assume?” She added after a moment. There were few that would have cared to go to such a hidden Eden, and fewer still that would have picked up on its value so quickly. To any other, the location would have just been a smelly opening in the middle of the forest. To a medic, it was a godsend.

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:33 pm

Avinalora
"Let the leaves fall off in the summer and let December glow in flames"
Word Count: 388
OOC: Optime | Morning, Early August | Kingsweald

Hover over what Tyler says to see what it means

The vixen's ears started to rise and her bushy tail started to sway slightly behind her. Why did I even do that? She asked herself. The only time she acted submissively was towards Esmeralda when she had joined, but since then she hadn't had much interaction with other people. The former loner had never been a pack member prior to joining Midnight Shores so how did those submission rituals come easily towards her?

Then, Skana inquired of how she was liking the pack so far. Avinalora took a moment to reflect on the question. She felt more secure knowing that she was on an island with a pack. The Pollux also liked having a purpose now. She was a healer and she could use her wares for something else other than trading. "I feel more secure here and I now have a purpose." The ravenette responded. Then she saw the Cygnus starting to walk and she followed, trying to keep pace with the taller female.

The foxlike female's head turned towards the Creo woman as she asked if she was a healer. She nodded quickly. And then a loud and familiar cry made her look up. "Excuse me." She said to the medic before rummaging through her satchel and yanking out a piece of leather. Securing it around her forearm with the buckles she raised her arm expectantly. A large barn owl descended from the trees and alighted down on her arm. The owl hooted a greeting before he continued in very accented high-speech.

Jaw-yeex sawnt mi tuu cheek awn yuu Tyler reported. Most would find it hard to understand him but the silver she-jackal had no trouble understanding the message.

"Not to be rude, but what is Onyx up to now?" The moon-washed maiden asked. Normally, her crepuscular companion would send the corvus to check on her because the owl would be hunting.

"Roy-vin heyl-peeng Jaw-yeex. Jaw-yeex sawnt mi The tyto replied and then noticed the female. He squinted at her before her spoke. "Hoo aw yuu?"

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:31 pm

SKANA CREO
WORD COUNT

Skana offered a nod to the Pollux’s feelings about the pack thus far. “I’m happy to hear that.” It had been how she’d felt when she’d returned to a pack environment. Of course, she’d had the benefit of being on the larger side of most canines, as well as the added protection of three large wolf-dominate males with her. Not many would consider harassing such a group. Avinalora though, she was small and appeared to have a bad leg. Skana hadn’t seen any of the companions that were rumored to have arrived with her, but, from what little she did know, the Pollux’s male Luperci companion wasn’t said to be very large either. “It helps to have something to do other than constantly worrying about when your next meal is or having to watch your back all the time,” she continued as they strode along.

She tried to keep her pace slow, but, only marginally so. She knew that her longer strides would be hard to keep up with, but, by going at an aching slow pace, she risked insulting the younger Midnighter’s pride. Their relationship thus far was fairly new, and Skana didn’t want to cause tension so soon after officially meeting the Pollux.

They hadn’t gotten far when a bird-like screech suddenly sounded in the air. Skana’s onyx ears flickered, and her head turned sharply. She knew the sound to be an owl, as she had one of her own, but, she also knew it to not be her Thanos. Though similar, it had its differences. Avinalora distracted her from searching the skies for the nocturnal raptor. The raven-haired female pulled on something that reminded her of a bracer, and, not moments after the leather piece was applied, an owl came down to perch on it.

It was a pretty thing, its face a beautiful ivory hue. Its facial disk reminded the Cygnus of the moon, pristine and so well defined against the rest of its plumage. The High Speech that poured from the owl’s vocal chords was understandable, though only just barely. The words were stretched and butchered, and took a few seconds before they could be processed and deciphered. Thanos’ speech and the two shrikes’ were cut and formed in similar ways that their vocal chords could allow. So, it wasn’t a large stretch for Skana, but, it was by no means clear-as-day for her ears either.

Avinalora engaged in conversation with the owl, throwing in a name that Skana could only assume was one of the Pollux’s other companions. The owl continued to repeat one word, “Jaw-yeex,” and the Creo woman couldn’t help but to wonder if it was the name of the Luperci that had accompanied Avinalora, or one of her other friends.

When the conversation turned to Skana, the Cygnus introduced herself a second time, her words short and to the point, “Skana Creo.” The narrowed eyes weren’t something new to her. Thanos had a bad habit of being protective of her, and, thus, often came off as rude or hostile to individuals he did not know. This owl was likely the same; loyal to Avinalora. The silver she-wolf made mental note to warn Thanos of this new owl’s presence on the island when she returned home. The last thing she needed was for her great horned owl to attack the poor thing.

Her eyes turned to Avinalora and gestured with a jut of her chin out to the part of the island away from the Avalon. “If you’re needed elsewhere, Avinalora, you can go. I’ll be fine going to the Avalon by myself,” she offered, not sure if this business with this “Jaw-yeex” individual was something that needed the Pollux’s immediate attention.

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Avinalora
"Touch your feathers to the breeze And leave the ground".

Avinalora nodded in response to what Skana had said earlier. Even though the group had come during the summer months in 'Souls and finding a meal wasn't that hard as the moon-washed maiden had some of her diet supplemented by greens but wondered what would happen in the winter when plants and prey were hard to find. She agreed with not having to always watch her back as the small Luperci would make an easy prey for any predator.

The vixen was grateful when the Creo woman had slowed her pace slightly as her long strides made it hard for the petite and slightly disabled female. She hoped that the female had slowed her pace because of the jackal's short stature and hoped that she didn't notice that she didn't even try to speed walk so that she could keep up.

The healer was surprised when the Cygnus seemed to slightly recognize Tyler's call. Did she have an owl, too? She did recall a scenting something similar to the barn owl on her. She would remind herself to tell the Tyto about another owl on the Shores. The she-jackal glanced at the woman during the conversation to see if she understood Tyler's heavily accented speech. Skana wasn't unsettled by the raptor squinting at her and asking her who she was and answered the question calmly. Was she a ird handler? A falconer?

Hearing the medic's offer, the foxlike female shook her head and answered, "Jarix, my brother is just checking on me like he always does when I'm herb gathering." The darkling was often worried about his sister which the Pollux often waved off. They were on an island with many others living there. He probably thinks I'll somehow wander off a cliff she thought before raising the arm that her owl friend perched on. "Tell him that I haven't wandered off a cliff yet." She instructed before letting the bird take flight.

Word Count: 323
OOC: Sorry about the slightly delayed response!
template by revo. <3
Last edited by Skana Creo on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You had an open bold tag, I closed it for you~<3 -Songbird

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:43 pm

SKANA CREO
No worries! You still reply faster than I can xD
WORD COUNT

It seemed that Avinalora picked up on Skana’s confusion on who this “Jaw-yeex” individual was. The small woman offered a translation of what the mysterious word was. It seemed the owl had been intending to say Jarix, who apparently was the girl’s sibling. “Mmm,” Skana hummed in newfound understanding. The tidbit of information reminded the Creo much of her own relationship with her brother during their early years. Of course, back then, she hadn’t been as involved in the medicinal field as she was now.

She watched as the Pollux dismissed her companion, and the owl silently took the skies once more. “What does your brother do?” She inquired curiously. She hadn’t been there when the two of them had been accepted into the pack; she had only heard from word of mouth afterwards that there were new members within the pack ranks, and to be aware so as to not accidentally mistake them for intruders and try to chase them out or attack them.

The Cygnus gestured for them to continue their journey to the Avalon with a tilt of her head. Skana set their pace once more, slow and steady. The little Eden wasn’t going anywhere, and it was unlikely that anyone else would beat them to it when it was still so early in the morning. Not that it would have mattered if someone did though. The herbs and other flora that grew there were free for all of the pack to use.

As the duo drew ever closer to the clearing, Skana couldn’t help but to ask another question as she tried to get to know her new packmate. “How long have you been a healer?” The earlier inquiry had been lost with the arrival of the owl, so, the Creo saw no harm in rephrasing and repeating it. It had been a little less than a year since Skana had been in the same pack as another that shared her interests in the art. It felt nice to think that, once more, she might have someone else to bounce medical ideas off of rather than relying on her books and trial-and-errors alone.

When they finally arrived at the edge of the abundant clearing, Skana halted and looked down to the Pollux. “Here we are,” she announced. The whole area was full of a variety of plants, colors, and smells. The Cygnus had ventured there a few times prior to collect as the season went by, so, she had a general idea of where everything was. Skana began to unfasten the buckles on her satchel with the intent to retrieve some of the pouches she had brought along with her for foraging.

“Are you looking for anything in particular, Avinalora?” Most of Skana’s stock ended up in the pack’s storage—only ending up in hers if the item was dangerous or the pack’s stock was full—but, if the raven-haired girl had a certain plant in mind, the medic didn’t mind helping.

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Avinalora
"Stay for the night, I can show you what my dreams are made of"

Avinalora was brought out of staring at the sky by Skana's question. What does her brother, Jarix do? She took a moment to think about what else her brother did other than trapping. She remembered the pair of tomahawks he had as family heirlooms. The vixen didn't know if he ever used them as the darkling only handled them during maintenance and sometimes when they were traveling but she didn't know if he practiced with them.

"Jarix usually does most of the hunting with his traps but I know that he has brought down deer before in a feral form." The moon-washed maiden responded and then added, "He also protects us, he can fight." She decided to add that tidbit of information so that the Cygnus knew about the Caelum's other skill. She had seen him fight before, both in four-legged and two-legged forms. One was against a coyote thief, the warrior had fought the male with some good hand-to-hand techniques that he had learned. And then there was another Luperci who had threatened the pair before.

As the Creo woman quickened her pace, the healer could smell the scent of herbs getting stronger. She knew that they were nearing the Avalon and she was excited to se this treasure trove of herbs. Without realizing it, she had already gotten out her mother's journal out. The medic often had a hard time reading, but luckily her mother was a gifted artist and her journal was neatly organized with detailed information on the herb as well as a beautifully drawn representation.

The silver fox was pulled out of another train of thoughts when her packmate inquired of how long she had been a healer. She didn't really know how long she had actually been one since from the moment she had opened her eyes she was taught about the names of herbs and once she had shifted, her training had accelerated. She wasn't fully educated on all aspects of healing, mostly due to her handicaps. She couldn't sew up a wound or set bones and fix dislocated bones. Most of her skill was in herbs, finding them and using them but her ability to recognized illnesses was limited to book and oral knowledge.

"As soon as I opened my eyes, I was learning about medicine. Most of my knowledge is on herbs. I can't really sew wounds or set broken bones or fix dislocated limbs, and my ability recognizing illnesses is limited to things that I've read or heard." She felt that it was important to tell her fellow healer about her weaknesses in healing so that her limits were known. She hoped that she could perhaps learn from the she-wolf, and while she doubted it, the woman could learn from her.

Finally, the pair arrived at a clearing that was dotted with all sorts of flora. The ivory jackal immediatly had her mother's book in her hand and started flipping through it while taking in the scents of the clearing. Her sense of smell was the best tool to use when she was looking for herbs. The she-jackal turned to the medic and asked, "Mind if I excuse myself for a moment?" She wanted to shift into her Lupus form so that herb gathering would be much easier. Also, she didn't want to look stupid or blind if she stepped on an herb right in front of her.

Word Count: 586

*Steals Adrian's table*

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:16 pm

SKANA CREO
WORD COUNT

Skana’s brows rose at the information Avinalora provided about her sibling. “Really? He must be quite skilled.” Perhaps this Jarix individual was larger than she’d thought, either that, or there were factors that the Creo was not privy to. To take down a deer in one of their four-legged forms? The last she’d heard, the two newcomers were on the small side. The feat would have been impossible if not for the help of an outside factor, such as illness, injury, or, the use of a trap, which this male seemed to be skilled in.

Avinalora mentioned her brother being the protector of the group, and Skana smiled fondly as she was reminded of her own sibling once more. “That’s what brothers are for,” she commented with a nod of approval. Vepar had always been the protector of her own little group. He could fight with the best of them, and he knew it. It was why he had wordlessly taken up the mantle of being the group’s “protector.”

As they neared the Avalon’s location, the small woman suddenly pulled out a journal of some sort. The Cygnus’ onyx ears flickered forward with interest, curious as to what importance the book might have. Was it like her own field guide book taken from Anathema’s libraries so many moons ago? Or was it a personal one? Perhaps, later, she would find a good time to answer her curiosity.

To her question about the Pollux’s experience, Skana was pleased to learn that Avinalora seemed to be as fluent in the field as she was. She nodded sagely, impressed that the younger woman was confident enough to reveal her shortcomings. It showed a mind that was willing to learn as well as a personality that wouldn’t let her ego get in the way of a job. “I’ve only ever known of one individual that could set bones,” Skana revealed, wanting the Pollux to understand that the skillset was not something easily obtained or mastered. She paused for a moment before she offered the smaller female a friendly smile, “I have a friend that knows how to fix dislocated limbs, and, I could teach you how to close wounds, if you wanted? With your small hands, I’m sure you’ll be able to master the art with ease.”

Skana let her eyes move back to the path before them. “As for the rest, perhaps we could compare notes sometime? I’ve scavenged a few books over the years, and have been taught many things from other healers. I’m sure we could learn a lot from our shared knowledge.” It was the only way a healer could get better in their profession as far as she was concerned. Practice and sharing techniques and information. Bridget, Lyserg, Veri, and Ciellen had been of great help in expanding the Creo’s own expertise in the medical field.

It amused the Cygnus to see the monochrome Pollux look so eager and excited to be at the Avalon. The only other individual that had shared her appreciation for the medicinal wonderland had been her own daughter.

Once more, her question seemed to have been lost on the younger woman, perhaps out of Avinalora’s excitement or perhaps out of an easily distracted mind, Skana wasn’t sure. “Sure, go ahead,” Skana replied when Avinalora asked to excuse herself. The Pollux shifted down, and the Cygnus strode forward toward the now even smaller Luperci.

“Do you want me to hold onto your book for you?” Skana asked politely. It would be hard to use the item without running the risk of destroying it with only a snout and paws to flip pages. “Are you looking for anything in particular?” The Creo repeated, hoping to gain an answer this time. If not, the Cygnus would simply go about collecting the herbs she knew the pack or herself needed for their stores.

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

Dead Topics