Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me|P. Avinalora

POSTED: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:50 pm

[419] *blares Lindsey Stirling music out the windows while I'm writing* Optime form. Around noon in Charlottetown.

Athena paced up and down the nearly abandoned streets of the human city called Charlottetown with her best friend, Rocky. It was less of a grandeur than the European cities her father used to tell stories about, but the hybrid Luperci enjoyed that it wasn't bustling with activity. There were still Midnight Shores wolves roaming the streets, whom naturally the friendly jackal said "hello" to, and that made it feel comfortable to Athena. More homely, in her opinion.

She looked around at the mostly abandoned streets, nothing quite peaking her interest. Athena wasn't scavenging right now, per say, more like checking out the territory. "So, what exactly are we doing here?" Rocky's voice broke through her silent thoughts and brought her back to reality.

"Oh...um, I wanted to see the harbor for myself. Y'know, check out the boats they have there and such." Athena tried to maintain a calm, in-control aura, but Rocky saw through her facade and gave her a questioning look. He had a habit of doing that. Maybe he should look into the fortune-telling business, the jackal-mix thought as they turned down another street, heading south towards the harbors.

Now that she had an actual plan of action for coming here, Athena began noticing the houses that lined the roads and how she could fix them up. "Hey, Rocky, how would you feel about staying in a house somewhere around here?" The dappled jackal-mix asked, looking downward to her non-Luperci friend. The question took him by surprise, judging by his confused look. Also, the cream female noted, was a slight hint of excitement in Rocky's deep golden-brown gaze.

"I'm not sure. I don't have a preference for our place." The way he said it, "our place," in his formal-yet-still-friendly tone made Athena ponder his word choice for a moment. Her first thought was it sounded like they were mates instead of companions, choosing a place to live together after getting married or whatever the custom was for couples in these parts. Which, for right now, was the last thing the cream-colored jackal wanted to do. But for right now, she pushed that thought aside and turned her attention onto the dilapidated yet still functional houses as the two mixes made their way down the city street.

Alessandro Caproni | ClarabellaFaireStock | Table by Sammiie

Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Avinalora
"I walk these empty streets"
Word Count: 449
OOC: Optime| Noon| Charlottetown

Sorry for the delayed reply! My muse and time was out for a long time. Also lots of muse = long post

In the streets of Charlottetown, a peculiar creature walked. She was very foxlike with her large ears, lean appearance, and bottlebrush tail. If she was in her Lupus form, one might think a fox had wandered into town. The only thing that set her apart from a fox was her dark grey saddle that showed her real heritage. Other then her looks, her fur was bright silver which was unordinary for her species which was attributed to the small amount of wolf in her. She was clad in a grey and white raglan and cargo pants. Bi-shaded green eyes darted around, the left not processing anything and the right only seeing blurs.

Behind the petite creature was a taller male. He had a similar facial structure to the silvery female but he had more muscle on his frame and thicker fur. He still had the jackal markings but it was quite hard to see that. Teal eyes scanned the road in front of him, his eyesight sharper than his companion. The male wore a black leather jacket and black cargo shorts and had a black leather band over his wrist.

This was not Avinalora and Jarix's first time in the human settlement but it was the healer's first time on the other side of Charlottetown. This was also one of the first times she had left her fox wards at home with only her companions to watch them. She had given Tyler, Eclipse, and Onyx firm instructions to keep an eye on them and that they were only allowed to go outside if they needed to go. She trusted them to keep an eye on the trio but she was still a it worried.

The adopted siblings had come to the town after a small discussion. The darkling had commented on the amount of herbs that the she-jackal had and suggested that she open a shop. She didn't disagree with this idea but she knew that there were some issues. She didn't know if she could use a building for those purposes and where it would be. If it was far away from their dwelling, the medic would have a hard time getting home or would have to close early. She remembered meeting Skana and she probably should have asked if the fellow healer had a shop or did her packmates seek her out when they were wounded. As a newcomer to the Shores, the Pollux could imagine that not many knew of her profession.

As the moon-washed maiden padded down the streets, she noticed that houses started to line the streets. She had no desire to move from their current dwelling but she still looked at the houses.

Silverfrost
Luperci
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:59 pm

[208] No worries! I know how it is. :)

Athena was currently caught up in admiring the small houses that lined the road the hybrid and coywolf trotted upon. So much, in fact, that she almost missed the two jackals that were coming up opposite of them. But Rocky's submissive whine and the sudden movement of said black-and-tan mix behind her made her pause and examine her surroundings. She found the opposite-furred jackals almost immediately.

"Hello!" She called out to them, waving her paw in the air. She quickened her pace to meet them in the street. The sudden, sharp scent of salt water made her remember where she was originally headed, and that the destination was not far off. "My name is Athena, and this is Rocky." She gestured to the coywolf behind her. "Who might you two be?" She asked with a friendly grin, which was by now her default expression.

The cream-colored jackal mix then wondered why she hadn't seen the two around much before. They didn't have the distinct Midnight Shores scent; at least, not as strongly as Skana or Skye did. Where they also newcomers? Athena decided to ask after she had gotten their names.

Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Avinalora
"I'll show you what my dreams are made of

Avinalora's large ears flicked as she heard a submissive whine come from somewhere down the street. Her bi-shaded green gaze flicked forward and she could make out the shapes of two figures. One was in the bipedal form that many Midnighters took. Her companion was in the quadruped form that the vixen often took. The wind blew the pair's scents towards the healer and her sensitive nose picked up an important clue about the coy-wolf. He was non-Luperci. She had met a few like him and was not prejudiced towards them but she was surprised at the fact. Did he not want to become a Luperci? Was he one of those who were immune to the virus?

The foxlike female was pulled out of her thoughts when the female, a jackal hybrid which the she-jackal welcomed as she had never met another of her kind, other than Jarix. She was under the assumption the jackals were quite rare in the realm of 'Souls. She could tell that the woman was a newcomer as the scent of the Shores had not woven its way into her smell.

The newcomer introduced herself as Athena and the coywolf behind her as Rocky. She gave the siblings a smile which the medic returned in a closed-lipped version. Then, she asked of their identities. "I'm Avinalora and this is my brother-" She started, making sure to pronounce her name slower as she learned that her name was very uncommon and sometimes hard to understand. Then, she started to introduce the darkling before the male in question cut her off. "Jarix." The coal-coated male stated. His smaller sister nodded before continuing. "Its nice to see another jackal on the Shores, I thought we were the only ones. Its also nice to meet fellow newcomers as we haven't been here for long."

Word Count: 305

How did I not figure out that the title is from "Shatter Me"?I love Lindsey Stirling!

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:22 pm

[280] Aah! Me too! (Which is kind of why I titled this after the song) We're now officially best friends. :D Also, sorry for the slow reply. School just started for me and it's chaos the first few days.

Avinalora, Jarix, Avinalora, Jarix, Athena repeated the names over in her head, matching the two new faces before her. And their scent revealed something that the cream-colored female hadn't noticed before: they were also jackals. Even down on the mainland, Athena had rarely met even a jackal-hybrid like herself. She guessed it was the same with Avinalora and Jarix, too. Her observation was further proven when the white female spoke. Her words also answered her question from earlier, that the two jackals were also newcomers.

"It certainly does feel nice to meet another jackal, or two." Athena spoke up after a pause in the conversation. "So, what can you two do? I do trade with others and manage ships and boats and such. I'm also learning about fishing."

"I can hunt and track, and whatever else needs to be done."Rocky lifted his head as he talked, looking up at the three jackals in front of him. "If you need help for anything, I can always be of service." His voice was quiet as he spoke, lacking the confidence Athena seemed to radiate.

"We're heading to the docks to check out what boats the Shores have there. Care to join us?" Said jackal girl asked with her normal smile as her tail swished to the side. She felt proud of herself. Not only had she found two other jackals like her, she had also made two new friends in Midnight Shores. She had a feeling that the island pack was definitely the best choice for the two canines.

Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Avinalora
"We can walk through time. we could sleep in the ceiling"
Optime| Noon | Charlottetown
WORD COUNT

Avinalora nodded and gave another one of her close-lipped smiles. She had never met another jackal other than her brother once she had come to 'Souls and she had thought that the area was devoid of her kind as the cold temperatures made it hard for desert-dwelling canines to tolerate though the newcomer seemed to have other species in her by her pelt which had abnormal markings and some of her features didn't look like a normal jackal. The vixen couldn't say much about herself as her shocking silver fur and bottlebrush tail came from her wolf blood that had been dominated by her mainly foreign heritage. She did wish that her fur was more wolf-like and able to withstand the winter but she always had to bundle up. She greatly envied her brother as the darkiling was half European jackal, one of the larger jackal species and had a quarter of wolf and a quarter of coyote in him which was the reason he didn't need to wear especially warm clothing in the colder days.

Then, the Pollux heard the jackal-mix ask another question before sharing her answer. What could they do? Then, the hybrid listed off several skills. She could trade, manage boats, and was learning to fish. The medic figured that she had probably spent a lot of time on the docks and this was probably the reason that the woman was here. Those three skills were good to have in a pack that lives on an island as trading was a large part of the life and with the many boats the Midnighters had, the silver fox could bet her tail that she would get a job here.

Then, Rocky added his own list of talents which had been "hunt and track, and whatever else needs to be done." Then, he added something which made the Pollux realize something. How he had said "If you need help for anything, I can always be of service." made her think of how the slaves she had briefly met acted. She also noted how the coyote hybrid had submitted to them when they had first met, though they were of the same rank and he seemed to have no confidence at all. Heterochromia-afflicted green eyes met teal with a nod. The foxlike Luperci was sure that her hybrid companion had figured out Rocky's past as a slave but thought it to be wise for them to leave it out of the conversation.

The healer decided to tell the new Pollux about her skills. "I'm an herbalist and a scholar." She stated and chose not to elaborate further unless she was asked. Then, the coal-coated male spoke after her. "I'm a trapper. He said, listing his most notable skills like his sister.

The moon-washed maiden quickly looked up at the jackal girl when she asked them if she would like to see the docks with them. The she-jackal looked back at her adopted sibling and the male gave a nod and then the monochrome female and dark hued male waited for the woman to move as it was their first time here in this part of town.

Template by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:32 pm

[555] Aah! So sorry for the late reply! I've been going through a writing funk. Plus, it's not even halfway through the six weeks and school's already tearing me apart.

It didn't seem Avinalora nor Jarix were as talkative as Athena was, as the two jackals weren't offering much to the conversation unless asked a question. Athena didn't mind, however; she had met some such canines during her travels across 'Souls. The silver female offered her skills first, stating she was a herbalist and scholar. Two useful skills to have in Midnight Shores. The larger, black jackal stated his talent, which was trapping.

Athena raised her eyebrows slightly. She'd never been one to hunt, despite being carnivorous, as the job usually required either weapons or the use of her Lupus form, both of which she rarely did. But trapping was different, in a way. She would only have to build it, and the trap would do all the work. Plus, she could set multiple traps and catch multiple prey in on day. She decided to ask him more about it a little later.

The glance backwards from the white-furred jackal didn't go unnoticed, nor did the nod. But she didn't think about it as the golden dappled jackal stepped forward to lead the way. Rocky had since come out from behind Athena and was now at her side, occasionally glancing back at the two opposite-furred jackals behind them.

Athena lifted her muzzle to the wind, letting the strong smell of salt water guide her through the streets of the city and down to the docks. She knew they were close by both the smell and the wind that had picked up as they moved further south. Athena's lips curled into a smile as the wind brought the scent of the ocean to her, a scent she'd always loved.

It brought back memories as the group of hybrids strolled down the streets of Charlottetown. Athena's mind was suddenly filled with images of her father and mother, living together happily in their home during one of her father's few stops at home. Her hand drifted to her messenger bag and grasped the compass he'd given her, it's smooth, cool surface reminding her of the first time she held it in her smaller hands, the first time she shifted into what was now her favorite form.

Rocky noticed how the blonde jackal mix had seemed to zone out as the harbor came into view, although he said nothing to draw her out of her trance. In a random spurt of confidence, he turned his head back to the two siblings behind them. "So, umm, what does being a medic entail? I mean, how long did it take you to learn all that you know? It seems kind of nice, being able to help others and such." He tried his best to initiate a conversation with the white raven-haired female, although he was pretty sure it came out as awkward and forced.

Athena had since come out of her memory-induced trance as crystal-blue waters beckoned her to the harbor. The boats of the island pack were lined up by the docks, none of them currently in use. The dappled hybrid and black-and-tan coywolf both stopped as the four canines stood near the pier, admiring the nice view and cool day.

Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:13 am

"Don't rain on my parade, it's gonna glow in the dark."
Optime | Day | Charlottetown
Don't worry! School is going to kill me, too
WORD COUNT

Avinalora noted Athena's raised eyebrows as she heard about Jarix's trapping ability. Did she want to learn how to trap? Her brother didn't normally teach people, he just traded easy to set traps to people. Maybe they could give them a trap or two as a welcome gift? And maybe the medic could contribute in one of those medical kits she could make which was a small box the her brother carved and she stocked it with basic herbs and a guide.

Then, the jackal woman took the lead with Rocky at her side. He had come out from behind her and was glancing back at them every so often. The vixen noticed the newcomer's reaction to the ocean breeze. A smile graced her features and she soon zoned out. This made the healer think. What sort of thing was she thinking? What about the sea was so important to her? This was one of the times she wished that she had some sort of mind reading powers.

Then, the coydog turned around to ask them a question. It surprised the Midnighter slightly as the male seemed quite awkward. He asked about the medical field, what it involved and how long it took her to learn it as well as saying how nice it felt to help others. The silver fox shrugged before answering.

"Well, there are many aspects of the medical field. There's herbalists, healers, therapists, and more. I've been training for a year or so and I specialize in herbalism, minor wound healing, and illness treatment which took a long time to learn. Most learn first-aid and then go on from there." She explained quickly. She didn't want to bore him with a long, detailed, and probably wrong explanation of the medical field. In her time, the ravenette had met several Non-Luperci healers and she knew that they were just as good as Luperci healers. She then remembered his last remark and then answered it. "Helping others is one of the reasons we do what we do." She replied with a small smile. It was true as her mother had made sure her apprentice knew the reason they did what they did. It was to help others and to do good. They had a lot of pressure on them as they had to be sure about what they were doing because giving someone the wrong herb or a misdiagnosis could lead to someone dying.

Avinalora
Image courtesy of Manuel Romaris@Flickr; table by the Mentors!

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 pm

[307] :P

Athena turned towards the two now that they reached their destination. The earlier question about traps surfaced in her mind, as she directed a question towards Jarix. "So, how does one make traps, exactly? Is there some specific way to make them? If you don't normally teach others or anything, I could always trade you knowledge for knowledge or goods." She added the last part rather quickly, almost stumbling over her words as she didn't want to seem too forward in her asking.

Rocky listened with attentive ears as Avinalora answered his questions. He nodded along as she explained how she became a healer. The black and tan coywolf thought it to be a nice, more peaceful life, healing and helping others instead of hunting for the pair of travelers all the time. Sure, it was good to keep his strength up and to provide food for them both and furs and bones for Athena to trade, but he had felt like it was a role that had been forced upon him. It wasn't the life he wanted.

"Oh, aren't you a beauty..." Athena's comment drew her non-Luperci companion from his thoughts, as she marveled at one of the ships that was docked on the piers. She had an awestruck and excited look on her face, as if she wanted to climb into the ship and sail to who knows where. Which, as Rocky knew, was exactly what the jackal-mix wanted to do. A mischievous grin spread across the blonde's facial features, highlighting her excited and daring nature.

With the grin still across her face, the blonde jackal turned her head to the three behind her and said, "There's no harm in just a little spin, eh?"

Last edited by Athena Graves on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:39 am

Avinalora
With heaven above you there's hell over me

Then, Athena turned to ask Jarix about traps. That inquiry intrigued Avinalora as she didn't know why the woman would want to know that. She and her companion seemed like they would be a good team of hunters. Her coal-coated companion used traps because he lacked a hunting partner that could help him hunt. Did the jackal woman have some sort of reason she couldn't hunt? She didn't seem to have any sort of disability but as the vixen knew, it could be just an act. Did she have some sort moral or ethical reason for not hunting? Or did she simply lack the skills for it or hate the feral shift?

Jarix listened carefully to what Athena was asking. She wanted to know how to make traps and would trade for them. The man considered the request to teach her his skill. He still didn't know why the hybrid would want to know how to make traps as she and her friend looked capable of hunting. He then answered in his British lilt. "I'll give you a few of the traps I use for trade, no payment necessary/" He wanted to give his new pack mates some sort of gift, and betted that his sister would too.

And then the woman stopped when she saw the pier. She called one of the boats a "beauty" and then with grin she asked if they wanted to take the boat out for a spin. One of Avinalora's sly grins graced her features as she liked the thought of doing that while a slightly surprised look crossed her brother's face. He thought they were stealing, she knew how ethical he was about things and in his mind, that wasn't ethical.

"That's property of Midnight Shores, and we are Midnighters." The she-jackal explained with an exasperated drawl and then the hybrid sighed and nodded.

Optime | Day | townCharlotte | Jarix (cNPC) |
*Drags self out of slump*

WORD COUNT:

Image courtesy of [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/48141388@N07/5321022942/[/url]; table by the Mentors!

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

Dead Topics