What field are you majoring in / working in / aspiring to work in?

Arts (writing, design, drawing/painting/sculpting, etc.)
28%
Social sciences (psychology, business, economics, poli-sci, the law, education, etc.)
15%
Natural sciences (chemistry, physics, earth sciences, astrophysics, etc.)
No votes
Life sciences (animal sciences, medicine, biology, etc.)
28%
Technology / hard science (computer science, engineering, statistics, mathematics, etc.)
14%
Military sciences
No votes
Other (please post! :) )
15%

Total votes : 65

What do you do?

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Hey, guys! :) With finals about to finish up, I grew curious as to what everyone does for a living / is studying to become - whether you're majoring in something, work as this thing, or aspire to work as this thing, talk about what you like to do best and how you want to excel in it! I'm sure we can get some pretty neat answers in here!

I'm a Computer Science major; ever since I was little, I've really loved computers and have wanted to know how they worked. I love making things, and making programs and websites kind of fill me up with a sense of strong accomplishment when they do what they're supposed to (like the auto-Yearbook!) I want to go deeper into Computer Science and learn how Operating Systems work, how the hardware communicates with one another, all about how servers work, all about different kinds of languages and how they're made; I like to make and develop websites the most, but I'm seriously excited to just learn all about computers, haha. :D What about you guys?
by the amazing Alaine!

Sunny
Luperci Mate to Jazper
crown of clay
My Sunny One

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm only 16, but I've wished to become a writer since I was very very very stupidly young. I was eight and writing short stories that kids grades ahead of me would be hard pressed to write. Also, animal sciences have always interested me very much; that's similarly tempting, not like I know what will ultimately stick. >->
Delilah is in Optime form unless otherwise specified.
avatar by Suga, signature by Kiri

Norniff
Luperci
GIGANTIC LESBIAN

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:53 pm

:) Well, sounds like you've got a pretty good dream! I feel like if someone works hard enough, they can accomplish what they want; it's hard, and might come with a few sacrifices, but if you're serious about what you want to do, you'll find a way to do that in the end. Best of luck!
by the amazing Alaine!

Sunny
Luperci Mate to Jazper
crown of clay
My Sunny One

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:53 pm

My major is called Media Arts & Science -- and it encompasses everything from web design, programming, 3D modelling, video and audio, video games, and more! I'm more focused on web design & development, but I have dabbled in a couple of other things. I'm not really a "hard science" type of person, and the design aspect interests me more than the technical stuff (I'm not one of those people whom programming comes easily to). I am not as good as Sunny yet, but I'm learning. :P

I was previously a psychology major, but while the subject was interesting, I wasn't interested in a career in that field for various reasons. However, the work that I'm able to do in my current major really motivates me. Rather than be frustrated when faced with problems, I get excited about tackling them. It's all been pretty positive. :)

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:36 am

I'm hopefully going into Translating and Interpreting.

Languages see pretty much the only thing I've wanted to do for the majority of my life and the only thing I actually feel like I understand. I'm doing German at the moment, Swedish after that and I haven't decided on the third. But from next year I'll be taking two classes at the same time, hopefully I can manage it :)
Salsola
DEAD
Vida
Luperci Lucky Little Leaf
pale man
danse macabre

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:40 am

I'm studying to be a dog trainer :B
Used to want to be a vet - didn't do well enough in Science to do that.
Also dropped out of school when I was 16, that along with a few other things meant no Uni for me.. so ten years on I'm studying online and hoping we can move to somewhere where I can shadow trainers/behaviourists and assist them!
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am

Oooo, fun topic! You guys are all gonna rock your dreams & fields of study :D

As for me, I've been working in a call center for a large specialty veterinary hospital for the past 2 3/4 years. It's a pretty interesting job with good benefits and decent pay, but not something I intend to do for the rest of my life. Eventually, once I figure out specifically what I wanna do, I'll go back to school. Right now I'm considering biology, but would like to narrow that field down to something more specific c:

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25 am

I am on my second year of working towards a Bachelor degree in 3d Animation and Movie Production, focusing on Concept Art and Animatics, though I do not know what I will end up doing, tbh. Many decisions to be made for next year, where I will move from Norway to England to complete my bachelor degree and possibly pick up a Master at the British University. So, kinda artsy, but there's a lot of computer technology etc too.

On the side, whenever I am in my hometown, I work in the main Alarm and Notification centre for a major oil firm, which is fun enough, I guess! ^^
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Libri
Luperci Ancella Mate to Rafael <br />A silhouette to serenade the soul Chaos Star
gravity

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:26 am

I'm going to be an English major and become an editor. I'm too passionate about writing to think of anything else!

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:00 pm

I recently (this year) completed my Bachelor of Sciences in Animal Management, which basically means I am qualified to care for all the animals. I can work in most any field of animal care except veterinary. My aim was always to go into the animal industry after I got the degree, but so far I have been unsuccessful. My big dream is to be a zoo keeper, though I would also love to work in kennels or doggy daycare.

Currently I am a supervisor at a bargain store called Buyology. It's not glamorous, I am the customer services girl and I get a lot of the rude or difficult customers, but it pays the bills, sorta.

Djiac
Luperci

Dead OOC