Gym Rotation

POSTED: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:37 pm

I have just started going to a gym and I'm looking at you gym rats for some guidance. I figure I'll work cardio and then whatever goes on in the weights rotation but what do you guys do when you're pumping metal?
SILVANO SADIRA
Now, I've learned it's better living in the moment. Enjoy youth, cause it doesn't last.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Like what exercises or leg day/ arm day?

I'm a cardio goer mostly at the gym I run on the tredmill and hit the heavy bag some yoga and random stuff. Though when I do weights I rotate days for different machines trying to give a 50/50 to legs and arms but on different days working different muscle groups.
Kentaro Lykoi
They say I’m a criminal cause I walk in a different way

POSTED: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Like a typical gym day
SILVANO SADIRA
Now, I've learned it's better living in the moment. Enjoy youth, cause it doesn't last.

Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:51 am

like marie was saying, it definitely depends on what sort of day you're aiming for. you don't want to destroy everything at once. you have to let muscle groups heal and rebuild before working them out again so the muscles can develop. when i'm on a good schedule i try and give an hour a day for gym, or half an hour if i'm feeling lazy or don't have enough time. i've also bought some dumbbells and a kettlebell so i can do some things at home, and i have one of those over the door bars for pull ups. push ups, sit-ups, planks, squats, etc., can all be done at home versus in the gym if you feel weird about it.

it does help to look up ideas and exercises so you have inspiration on what to do to test your body versus just push ups, all the time. here's a video for eight counts. twenty of those in a row will have you feeling something. here's some arm exercises with a dumbbell. and here's some leg exercises. and don't forget the abs. there's a lot of exercises that you can do without any equipment at all.

so maybe one day i'll go and do a bunch of squats, lunges, leg lifts, scissor kicks, some running, etc. then the next day i'll do a whole round of different exercises with weights for my arms/shoulders, with some pushups and pull ups. then maybe another day planks and crunches and whatever. and then another day just a straight hour on the elliptical running through one of the preset routines.

but for sure, bring music of some sort. have your headphones in, some awesome music playing, and do whatever suits you.
Last edited by Nikita Volkov on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Никита Во́лков

Luperci
LEVIATHAN

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Thats a much better explanation Poppinz.
typically you just build a routine to fit what you want. Having sled dogs I focus a lot on cardio and breathing. Our gym in town offers online trainers so I can take yoga or Tai chi, to aid with balance and breathing.
My biggest thing right now is my abs so I'm trying to find new things that I can do to strengthen my core.

Def music and headphones stuff that really gets you going. Though a couple of my friends when doing hour long goes on the cycle or elliptical will actually listen to audio books.

If you wanted a set schedule you could ask your gym if they offer trainer programs. They could set you up with a routine. Our gym offers programs to aid people who just don't know where to start.
Kentaro Lykoi
They say I’m a criminal cause I walk in a different way

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:05 pm

you don't wanna do the exact same thing every time either. you want to switch it up, and even start increasing what you're doing or else you'll just plateau. so say you start with a ten pound weight. after a while this isn't doing anything for you anymore, so upgrade to a fifteen. or twenty lunges gets you sore at first, but after a while it's cake, so start adding more reps. running too. start with what you're comfortable with, and then add more time, distance, resistance as you gradually get stronger and fall into a routine. it's a work in progress and you can't get disgruntled if at first you don't feel like you're able to do much. even just a five minute run is better than doing nothing and sitting on the couch instead.
Никита Во́лков

Luperci
LEVIATHAN

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:29 pm

THE ONLY ADVICE I CAN OFFER is that habits are the most important thing when you're starting out!

So don't overload yourself in the beginning, and try not to be discouraged by small things! Like Poppz said, even if it's only five minutes of running (and that can be a lot!), just get out the door and do it!

I find that starting is the hardest part (especially when you're tired), but once you're outside or at the gym and you're doing something small, you start to feel good and like "Hey, maybe I can run longer?" or "maybe I'll walk the rest of the way but it'll be a really long walk!" and it's just way way way 10x better than sitting on the couch and eating a bag of potato chips.

If you have animal friends, maybe try and make them a part of it? On days I don't feel like running, sometimes I'll gear up the pup and take him to the walking trail and just walk for hours in the sun LOL. He enjoys sniffing around, and we're still doing something! Or if you have a dog that likes to run, go running with him!
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Alaine     Avatar by San

San
Luperci Angler, Carpenter, Striker Tusk Stubborn Love bbleeearrrrghhhhhh
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:08 pm

as for the machines, they tend to be labeled with a handy little picture that shows what muscles they work out, and instructions on how to use it. just put it on a very low weight, and try it out. if it feels right, then increase the weight. if not, then try something else. you don't need to spend an hour on one machine, especially if it's busy and other people are waiting for it. you can just run through various machines, doing a few different things, and even make a few rounds of the room until you feel finished. or just a few reps with high weight rather than a million on a very low weight. from what i remember that's the best method to gaining strength and muscle is heavier weight and less reps. just make sure you're not losing form, otherwise you won't get the benefits. and don't slam the weights down, lol.

what are you working toward anyway? what are your goals? are you trying to build muscle, just get fit, lose weight, get stronger, be able to lift large things, etc.?
Никита Во́лков

Luperci
LEVIATHAN

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:50 pm

Whoa lots of comments. xD I do know what I'm working toward and it's pretty much 100% weight loss at this point because I AM SO DISGUSTED WITH MYSELF AND THE STATE I'VE LET MYSELF DEVOLVE INTO.

So far I've been doing cardio and then weights, thought this first week was mostly just making sure to cardio and then sort of figuring out the machines. This next week is to see how i feel about daily cardio with alternating days of weights for the varying skill groups - though the things I want to do (ie ab work outs) may require me to jump into the free weights area which is kind of scary because people >_>
SILVANO SADIRA

Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:00 pm

the hugest thing for weight loss is by far diet. when you start working out and going to the gym, don't focus on actual pounds on the scale either. gaining muscle does make you gain weight and will keep the scale from budging because it's heavier and more solid than fat. i was using myfitnesspal forever to track my calories and ensure that i stayed within my limit.

for example, here are two pictures of me, both at 125lbs. one is before the gym, and one is after i started working out and watching my diet. exact same weight on the scale, but a huge change in body structure. so don't get discouraged when you don't see numbers melting from the scale either.

Никита Во́лков

Luperci
LEVIATHAN

Dead OOC