[m] It's not uter-you, it's uter-us

reproductive health, etc. thread

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:02 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

I thought that since many of us are women here (of all kinds), it would be a good idea to start a thread concerning lady topics? This way we have a place other than OL to share our experiences and thoughts on subjects of women's health and offer support related to it. Also to preserve OL as a space to unwind, and have here as a place of actual discussion.

If the title of the thread is potentially alienating, I will happily change it for the comfort of others who want to join the discussion but may not strictly identify as such. Suggestions or alternatives are definitely welcome!
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Alaine     Avatar by San

San
Luperci Angler, Carpenter, Striker Tusk Stubborn Love bbleeearrrrghhhhhh
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 pm

I think "uterustalk" is a good alternative bc we have some trans guys and peeps who still have to deal with ultra gnarly (bloody) reproductive health problems! Though it wouldn't have to cover just that -- I just wouldn't wanna name it like "va-jay-jay talk" lol.

Actually I kinda want to name it...
Miyu wrote:it's not uter-you, it's uter-us

I did wanna thank everyone for their insight in OL too when I was griping earlier <333 Hearing about other's experiences with birth control and other things helped me consider my own issues and where I stood. I had one or two people on AIM share their experiences re: cramping pain and things like that and... I think at this time since I don't wanna risk putting hormones out of whack, etc., I'll just have to deal with the pain as it comes. It's AWFUL but I'm only laid up for like, half a day if I'm good and use heating pads and things, though pain management talk would help too ;; It's not like I'm super heavy and "writhing in bed" agony for multiple days :< so I should be able to suck it up.

When I can drinking an entire bottle of Gatorade and taking a potassium pill helps me w/ cramps for some reason but idk if it is a placebo effect or just related to hydration or what.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Vesper wrote:Actually I kinda want to name it...
Miyu wrote:it's not uter-you, it's uter-us

I also vote this because LOL CLEVER HUEHUE

(Also I feel u guys on the shark week even though it comes maybe every 1.5 - 2 months for me :> I honestly forget about it half the time.)
COMMISSIONS ALWAYS OPEN! PM FOR QUESTIONS!
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 pm

I agree with Raze on That ^^
Everyone started out a little insane But we learn pretty quick how to fake it for the game
Anathema
DEAD
Marie
Luperci SoSuWriMo 2012 Champion! Matchmaker: Still a Better Love Story than Twilight with Sky!
Womanizer
Twisted Mistress

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 pm

LOL "va-jay-jay talk". Cooch Convo? LOL oh these are getting worse. UM. Does "Body Shoptalk" sound like a serial killer's garage??? Or a conversation about the store Body Shop??? I am a fan of uter-you-uter-us, but I don't know how long I can look at the word "uterus"!!!

And aww Raze <3 <3 I don't think any of us want you to have to feel like you gotta "suck it up" because cramping is the pits, no matter what!!

Pain-management wise, unfortunately, I don't have much to offer. 8C Usually I'll take an ibuprofin and go to sleep (if that's an option). I can usually tell when things are gonna peter off or get substantially worse, so I'll try to nip it in the bud the day before by taking pain-relievers (which I've heard can help, starting in advance of the symptoms getting worse).

Most of the time though I just rough it out because I am paranoid about what I put in myself now, and I have a bad habit of refusing medicine up until the last minute. I have a.....trust-issue with medicine and doctors or people trying to give me things for my health.

I also agree with Gen re: BC pills are a conversation you should totes have with your doctor!! Even if you've decided not to get it, that's definitely a subject worth investigating. Everyone's body is different and even though I'm all "BLAH REGRETS", I just had the bad luck of asshole doctors for a while and not doing my share of investigation and simply believing people had my best interests in mind. :,)

San
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 pm

@Re: Hydration: I really love coconut water now???? It has tons of potassium in it, no crazy amounts of sugar like gatorade does, is super hydrating, and even though it tastes horrible, if you get the brand "One", it is actually bearable?? Don't get the one that starts with a Z. That one is the worst. But you should try it!!

San
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 pm

I read around on some ways to ease these things (aka make them shorter) because fun things come at inopportune times and I want to fiddle with things (lololthanksuterus).

As a scientist, these sorts of websites seriously give me the angerface but as a person who also does casual research on ways that are not BC to ease periods / bring them on / shorten them, i like them.

So far I've found that water is super key.

Drinking a lot of water everyday will help shorten your period. Large amounts of water will also reduce bloating and cramps during menstruation.

which I know is true because i am super dehydrated 85% of the time. Today I drank maybe half of my required bit of water and that's more than I usually tend to since I space out, and I felt a little more oomphy than usual. I try to get more in during my periods and it's supposed to help with all the nasty bits.

I've also read somewhere that vitamin c helps to speed it up a bit by breaking down the uterine lining, which seems like horseshit to me in the science department but I will spend some time digging for this later to actually get some clinical suggestion that this works. And honestly, I take those emergen-c drink things (raspberry because i can't have citrus -angerface-), to just at least boost my vit c intake anyway. Doesn't hurt one way or the other sooooo???

Rapsberry
I really want to try this but I'm at the very end of my cycle and won't be back on for 3 more weeks (thank you bc)

Some women swear by a daily dose of dark raspberry tea as a delightful way to shorten their menstrual period, combat heavy menstrual bleeding, and relieve painful menstrual cramps. Red raspberry leaves are most often consumed in the form of a tea. This tea is an amazing uterine toner due to the presence of an alkaloid that allows the uterus to contract more powerfully and effectively during labor. Less contractions, less straining, and less effort from the muscles, so there’s less cramping. The alkaloids also aid in toning the uterus after birth as it returns back to its usual size.

*decreases profuse menstrual flow
*helps relieve cramping during menstrual cycles

Pain Meds
I take Ibuprofen for everything, since I don't much like acetaminophen for whatever reason. Anyone else see the recent study on how acetaminophen dulls your empathetic ability??? I try not to take ibuprofen unless the pain (headache or ladybits or otherwise) is preventing me from functioning well, focusing, or sleeping. There are other natural ways to do pain relief like heating pads, willow bark tea(iguess), etc..

BC
I went on it because cycle got wacky and i don't much like it heavy. I use tri-sprintec so it more.. naturally, I guess, doses the hormone on a decline by week so that it gradually just goes to 0 for your placebo pills to period it out. I might ask to switch to a mono dosage pill with only 4 placebos for short periods because i hate them so much.. so much. I used to miss a day or two of school because of the first / second day of cramping in high school D:
SILVANO SADIRA
Now, I've learned it's better living in the moment. Enjoy youth, cause it doesn't last.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 pm

i use mirena and i love it. i don't have to remember it or do anything with it, and i don't bleed as a result. i still get horrible cramps though, and they actually got worse after the mirena. i'm just assuming that's due to something being all up in there, irritating me. i'm prone to cysts though and went to the er once because i was in so much pain that i couldn't even breathe. that's when they diagnosed me and told me that they would probably be a recurring issue, so at least i know what to expect.

for me, mirena is perfect. the only really horrible side effect has been the acne. my skin was clear and i hadn't had a breakout since i was a teenager, but mirena made my face explode. it got a little better after a few months, but i still get horrendous breakouts.

i take acetaminophen because for me that works better. i take ibuprofen when i don't have tylenol, but it doesn't seem to kick in as quick or effective in experience.

also, when i did have my period, i swore by the divacup. and i would absolutely use it again if i ever stopped using birth control, which is unlikely. as long as i can afford it and don't have a medical reason not to have it, i'll probably use mirena until i hit menopause. it's a mess getting used to the cup, and it took me some time to get the hang of it, but eventually i was sleeping on my stomach with a full blown period and not leaking at all.

i love raspberry tea, so i'll probably try that and use it as an excuse to drink more. haha.
Salsola
The Tradesman (NPC)
crow
Luperci

Dead OOC