why do you roleplay?

where else are you a member?

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 am

I don't roleplay anywhere else. I chose Souls because it allows a lot more creative freedom than the myriad of realistic and semi-realistic wolf roleplays out there. Sorry, but, boring! I created an idea for a roleplay a while ago with a human/shapeshifter plot. I know, not original... but it had a twist. However, I don't have the technical or financial means to see it to fruition, so I'll have to wait on that dream. x)

Anyway, the reason I roleplay is for the obvious- one, I love writing. I can't seem to fit it into my schedule unless I'm roleplaying, so this is a great way to exercise my inner-writer; two, I love art and there's no shortage of inspiration and great opportunities to practice; three, I am an introverted hermit-type yet I still crave to socialize and be a part of a community. Like, human contact can be so exhausting for me, but not on the internet. So voila, here I am! Maybe it's sad but I don't care. xD Plus, people on here tend to be super open-minded and accepting. <3

Oh, and I absolutely love creating characters.

Let's not leave out the most obvious one yet- roleplay is freakin fun. Duh.

Your turn...
I am available for commissions!
helkiarts.com

Helki
Creature

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 am

Honey lured me here back in 2011/2012 and it's the only site I've been on long-term (except Myth, before it closed), although I have just joined Wolf! They seem to be just about the only RPGs without complicated fight systems and.. yeah. I like the freedom to write without having my posts judged and things like that.

I've always loved writing but I find having a world to base things off helps me to enjoy it more (I don't get bogged down in how things work as much when it's laid out for me!), so roleplaying suits me perfectly :D And I've always enjoyed writing animals, but Luperci are my favee because you can do so much with them. Plus the lore at Souls is HUGE and there's always something new to discover.

I'm also socially anxious and awkward irl but I love my online friends to bits (and tbh most of them are/have been on Souls at some stage).
MARSALIAMAROK
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Rat
Luperci Mate to Talon

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:20 pm

I actually found 'Souls because I was looking for a video game about wolves. I had been playing Wolf Quest, but the game was so buggy that I got frustrated with it and wanted to find a replacement. In my attempts to find another game to play, I kind of stumbled onto 'Souls. I originally dismissed it because it wasn't what I was looking for. However, once my search proved fruitless, I couldn't get 'Souls out of my head and came back to figure out just what was going on. A couple days later I joined and now after almost 5 years, I can't imagine leaving.

I did try a few other locations. Most of them I joined because a friend of mine was trying to create her own forum and I was just adding to the numbers. They all failed pretty quickly, but that tends to be the nature of these things. I did have a small excursion into Mizahar, but that didn't last for very long. Too complicated for my tastes. So, I just play on 'Souls now. However, I have started writing my own stories. Mostly original stuff, with one or two fan fics peppered into the mix.
Avi by Raze

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Well, I am no stranger to roleplay. I've done so informally with friends before. I was also trying to find a wolf game, preferably where I could practice english, and so I came across this site. So far it has been good.

On a more personal note, I roleplay because it is fun to try and figure out a new "person" and build them through their life. It is just entertaining and allows for some imagination excersises.
Devil in Disguise

Seal
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Souls is definitely my longest site yet! I am amazed!!

Funnily enough, I was reluctant to join Souls at first because of its extensive lore/history/procedures, which was very intimidating, and I didn't quite know what to do about the shifting element of the game. I definitely bumbled around for a really long time (how do new folks join and get the hang of it so quickly? I am majorly impressed all the time). Now I love it! What helped me get into Souls and ultimately had me stay was the good writing and good people here! I think this community is just wonderful, so wonderful. <3

Other RPs were full of chaos and drama more than they were of roleplay, and that gets tiring real quick. All I wanted was to hang out, nerd out, and write!

To answer the title question, I roleplay simply because I enjoy it. I like to think of characters, I like the collaborative element, I like to read other people's writing, I like all the nerdy things like finding songs for characters and coloring pixels. It inspires me and gives me something to think about!

Sometimes I look at other sites, just because I do miss human roleplay a lot. Aint nobody got time for that though 8I There's no place like home! (Souls is home)
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Alaine     Avatar by San

San
Luperci Angler, Carpenter, Striker Tusk Stubborn Love bbleeearrrrghhhhhh
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:58 pm

Ahh you guys! I love all of these backstories ;__;

Ohmigosh, I started on shoutbox roleplay ahahaha. Probably around when I wassss eleven? twelve?? I was over at Kugyay, a little rudimentary warrior cat roleplay. I originated there with Kite and Owl!! AHH. I was calling myself Inkk. And omg, it was actually KAI (Aly back then) that introduced me back when she was playing Alyssum and leading CdC. WHAT THE HECK IS THE IRONY?? ;D She told us in the xat, I believe, and I joined with Lyris as my very first character and never ever left! I've been here for four years now and am STUCK haha. My writing has evolved so much over these crazy years, and I can't believe what I was doing over at shoutbox. This was my first ever forum and it really helped expand my horizons. I was SO scared when I first joined about messing up and was very tip-toeing about everything, but look how that's all changed! I live here now <3

I've tried other forum roleplays before, like Valoria and Akrasia and Evermore, but none of them can even compare to 'Souls. I've looked far and wide for another place similar to this lovely hobbit hole, but there is honestly nothing like it. The community is the BEST and the lore is everything and the concept of Luperci leaves so much room for interest forever!!

<33 SOULS
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 pm

Ditto, Ann! It's so awesome to read everyone's roots!

I've always loved writing since I was a kid. I made up a whole story (more like some great ideal and bare-bones thing for a 5th-grader whose head was stuck in fantasy land xD) to go with some characters I had created, and when my friend showed me Furcadia, I was hooked into roleplay. I really started forum-roleplay when Plaguedog's Giderah RP forum was up (BBA at the time was full of elitists and was intimidating for a young Songbird). I met Dark, Eve, Frostbite (no longer an active player here), Despi, and Alaine over there! :D Once the site got taken over by spammers and bots, I did a few shifting/fantasy human RPs, a variety of fantasy canine RPs, and even tried a Warriors cat RP (that I eventually left because the site was pretty dead).

Most of my experiences with RP forums has been either the site died (due to lack of activity or admin interest) or, the site was filled with hateful/drama-causing/elitist or staff-worshiping/power-hungry people :| The most recent site I had left before following Eve to 'Souls had been full of people who just sat in a chat all day and, if you weren't friends with the staff or worshiped them or somehow managed to get it in good with the "main" players, you were ignored and treated like dirt :/

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with my life in 'Souls! The players are nice and welcoming, the plot it good and does not severely strict creativity, there isn't any petty drama, the site has been going strong for over a decade, the list goes on. At first, I was intimidated by everything and everyone, and "quit" a couple of times before eventually coming back for good. I've tried finding human roleplays, or maybe other canine ones to broaden my writing, but, nothing really measures up xD

I roleplay because I like to write and develop stories and characters that I've created or help create! I love the interaction between players, and it helps keep me going for writing (be it on here or for my personal stories)! It's a way to help unwind (even if I may stress to post every now and again xD) and helps me try to play out different personalities while also picking up styles, phrases, and techniques other players might use to help broaden my writing own skills ^____^
Skana Creo
Avatar by San | Siggy Chibi by Alaine

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:43 am

Awww! Hearing about all your backstories is wonderful <333 And also reassuring because guys, I waffled for months before finally deciding to join :O

So
I owe Watership Down a lot of credit for my being here today. I read this book for the first time back in, uh... 2001 maybe? Its characters and story had such an impact on me that I booted up ye olde desktop computer and searched the book using an old, likely now defunct, search engine. Somehow I stumbled upon Nepenthes Warren and joined... with a wolf (Milos' mother, actually), hahaha xD Oh 2001!Mandi, you young, naive little welp. In any case, the reason for my joining a roleplay at all was to release the flood of creative juices splitting at my seams after reading the book. In Nepenthes, I discovered the need and the love to write. I also discovered that there was an entire community out there devoted to PBP RP. From there, I flitted about different RP boards (mostly private ones created by friends) before dropping off the surface of the scene entirely around 2007/08-ish due to RL issues.

After saying goodbye to one of my dogs in 2014, I needed a distraction and finally joined 'Souls after literal months of lurking. Since then, this place has become my haven. It's the place I can let loose and express my creativity; develop characters and plots; connect with people with the same interests and loves <3 This is why I roleplay: to connect with others, to express myself, and to explore. I love to write and I love to create; RP is the best of both worlds :D

Currently, I do not RP anywhere else and I probably won't for the foreseeable future c:

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:58 am

It is super interesting to read about how everyone came to join 'Souls!

Ann kind of explained part of how I came to join 'Souls (because I joined in a lil group with her and Owl a few years ago but didn't really stick as well as either of them at first).

When I was a kid I wrote a LOT — I finished some short stories that no one ever read and collaborated on some other things with friends up until I was 10-11 and found the roleplay boards on a pet sim and I was completely hooked on roleplay, mostly because I had finally found a creative outlet for my writing and I was actually able to share some of my writing without getting really nervous about it. I joined the same shoutbox site as Ann in 2011 and hung around there until I was 13 and Aly/Kai told Owl, Ann, and I about 'Souls! It was the first forum I joined and I have tried to join a few other popular ones but it really is one of the best, if not the best, forums out there in my honest opinion.

For me, roleplay is a way for me to share my writing, improve, and develop characters with other people and to make friends (since that is not my forte because of anxiety lol) who share a common interest: 'Souls! It has really helped my mental health a lot, I think, by being a member here because I don't have the feeling that I am being judged like I do when attempting to share art/writing in real life.

This ended up way longer than I intended but that's kind of a summary of how I got to 'Souls and why I roleplay :D !!
pull the stars down from the sky

lay your head down next to mine

Kite
Luperci
ocean eyes

POSTED: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am

I roleplay because... Well, I always have. I enioy the freedom to create and get out of the Real World for a bit (though I make everything as realistic as possible in spite of that).

I only play on one other forum, but I play on manu MUDs and whatnot, which is where I disappeared to all those years ago.
Avatar & Squareyote © Raze. Mini © J.
Sapient
DEAD
Luperci

Dead OOC