Yay
93%
Nay
7%

Total votes : 15

Bloodrose Shadows [BrS]

Pack Idea

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi, guys. c: I know I am a bit of a ways out before I can see this idea coming to fruition but... I figured, I wanted to see, if there's any interest or if anyone would like to throw in some ideas based on what I have already. Maybe even get a few names down under potential members and one or two under the leaders along side my potential character.

• Potential Pack Name: Image Bloodrose Shadows Image - Name change was suggested by Nukiira c: Was originally Varnished Shadows. [Name is still subject to change based upon further advice or desire of potential members]
  • Basic Idea for Pack: Bloodrose Shadows is a pack based of nomadic wanderers who have come together to find a home among the packs of Nova Scotia. Most of its members are from the feral way of life so there is very little humanization but enough of it to make life simple. Their talents are varied but most lie in taming and harvesting the land.
  • What sets it apart from the current packs: Most of the current packs are humanized to a fault and most are aimed toward the mafia, the sea or some basis of humanization. Bloodrose Shadows is a pack that would like to give back to the earth from which they came and in maintaining their roots as a feral species and not the adapted views of humanization that has become regularly attached to luperci society.
  • Rank ideas: Lunai [the leadership made of up to three different members], Merai [the counsel made of up to four seats], Merium [the working class], Seperai [the initiates], Senserei [the children, elders, and injured], and Oblerei the rejects.
  • Pack Customs and Society: The pack does have an original religion that Qyska follows, based off of the Wolfe-Denahlii religion, Svinka. They believe in an All Mother, the source of all life, and Artoi, the mother of all arctic wolves and a few other gods and goddesses. Religion will not be one of the major focal points of the pack or be required of all it's members though it could play an important part in ceremonies led by her. Essentially, after the pack is formed, leadership and ranks will be chosen by inter-pack relationships and the values that its members undertake. Worth, as a value, is determined by merit and how much one devotes to the pack or family and not by posts alone. It will, first and foremost, be a feral pack without obvious tensions toward species and with its display of acceptance toward non-luperci members. It believes in a feminine hierarchy but also in the protection of its elders and younger generation. Family comes first and each member is attached to the family in some way, whether it’s adoption or by familial rights.
  • Potential Territory Claim: New territory being thought of since original coincided with Mistfell Vale territories accidentally.
  • Potential Leader[s]: Qyska Denahlii [Dread], Moon Moon Damaichu [Nukiira], and --
  • Potential Members:
Vida, Kris, Lullaby, Scott, Nina, --, and --

As a side note, the religion and base language was created by Jace.
Last edited by Calla Valentine on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 am, edited 13 times in total.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice (NPC)
Dread
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I don't have anyone to throw at you rn, but I'm excited! I believe Mistfell Vale already claimed part of your territory plan (the red circle?), though.

Also, why the name Varnished Hearts, if you don't mind me asking? It seems like an odd word, but maybe that's because all I can think of is wood varnish. xD
Casa di Cavalieri
Second Officer
Alexander
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM) Luperci Carpenter

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:02 am

c.c I actually didn't realize. They weren't marked down on the map in the pack formation area. That'll definitely be changed, though. ^-^

Varnishing has several different meanings. One is to disguise or gloss over. Qyska grew up with very feral beginnings and became more modernized/humanized as she got older and was introduced to different humanized concepts such as clothing and some of the other aspects of having opposable thumbs to do things canines weren't able to before. The pack's name is a symbolism in and of itself showing her desire, and probably some of the members' too, to go back to their feral roots by glossing over some of the humanization they've absorbed by coming in contact with that particular world.

Further advice was given via DM by another member. c: Adding it down here for reference.

The original religion. I like it, however, sometimes it is hard to draw in other players when there is something a bit... obscure?... like that. I think that was part of the struggle for Sangi'lak. So, totally unsolicited advice, but I would consider how much you use of that... or how much importance you put on that... Or else, make sure there is a ton of info so the religion can come alive. For the players. I think if people can't envision it pretty easy, they lose interest.

Also potential name change based on potential membership. Ideas are welcomed. c:

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice (NPC)
Dread
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:16 am

I'm very intrigued by the idea. We really need a place for the wilder, more feral folk to go, and it would definitely be a possibility for Moon Moon.

I already gave you my suggestions about the name and about the religion. You updated the post and I think it's getting better – I think it's good that you stress the religion is optional and give a little more insight on the culture in general.

And then you know my opinion about the name... don't love it. I'm for Sanguis Claws, though that could run the risk of sounding too dark. Or Bloodrose Shadows. ;)
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
☠ Nukiira ☠
Luperci 2011, 2012, 2018 SoSuWriMo Champ! Thalia and Melpomene Kiss Me
off the deep end

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 am

I'm always interested in a feral pack! I have a couple of upcoming characters (Aisling and Rianorix) that I could throw that way once I am able to pick up characters. I love the idea!

Silverfrost
Luperci Healer, Scavenger The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw
You've spent a life time stuck in silence
What I wanna save I will try

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:11 am

I like Bloodrose Shadows, though it seems a little... dark? In a way that contrasts the theme of the pack. Maybe something to do with roots/origins? Or in some way based off of/referencing wherever they're settling?

I think a pack in the Broken Occident would be neat, especially with the land bridge. If you'd prefer something more northern, Vinátta was on the Wabanaki Coast. There's also near where Sapient used to be or northern Seabreeze Brink. I think all of those places would work well for a feral pack.
Casa di Cavalieri
Second Officer
Alexander
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM) Luperci Carpenter

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:10 am

Nayavota Denahlii wrote:I like Bloodrose Shadows, though it seems a little... dark? In a way that contrasts the theme of the pack. Maybe something to do with roots/origins? Or in some way based off of/referencing wherever they're settling?

I think a pack in the Broken Occident would be neat, especially with the land bridge. If you'd prefer something more northern, Vinátta was on the Wabanaki Coast. There's also near where Sapient used to be or northern Seabreeze Brink. I think all of those places would work well for a feral pack.

I had a potential thread idea based off the title. While it may seem dark, the name, it would be fitting if the origin of the pack [if we get as far as establishing things through threads] took place in the shadows of a hill where a wild rose bush grew. One of the members could prick their paw pads or something and get blood on the petals and that's what gives it it's name. Of course, I'm certainly still open to ideas and I love the suggestions you offered for potential location. c: I'll speak it over with Nukiira and see what they think.

@Alexander and Silverfrost, since it might be a while before things actually get started, would you like me to add your names to the potential members list on the off chance? ^-^

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice (NPC)
Dread
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:36 am

Oooo! It would be lovely to see a new feral pack around, though I agree that some level of humanization would be a good idea. Are you thinking more or less like hunter-gatherer societies, without agriculture (no farming or keeping of animals)? I think that this could be neat, and definitely help to simplify things! I imagine, like... ancient stories told by large bonfires and use of dyes/paints from the earth to mark members and belongings and homes made from the earth, rather than re-purposed human establishments or building human-like structures. I imagine a heavy focus on tailoring skills toward efficient hunting and foraging, rather than for combat, horticulture, or pastoralism. c:

I do agree with Alexander about the name, however. It does sound a bit dark, even knowing the proposed origin of it. Though, that may work in the pack's favor if they're relatively passive and might want others to think they're more threatening? IDK, haha. Otherwise, maybe a made-up name in the Svinka language? That could be cool!

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 am

I'd also maybe consider BrS rather than BS if you're going to go with that name? Purely because BS could mean.. well.. BS. But idk how others feel about that.
I do like the idea of a more feral pack being around again :)
AbigailSadira

Let me light up the sky, light it up for you

Rat
Luperci Mate to Kira
misuse of imagination

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:30 am

Milos Parhelion wrote:Oooo! It would be lovely to see a new feral pack around, though I agree that some level of humanization would be a good idea. Are you thinking more or less like hunter-gatherer societies, without agriculture (no farming or keeping of animals)? I think that this could be neat, and definitely help to simplify things! I imagine, like... ancient stories told by large bonfires and use of dyes/paints from the earth to mark members and belongings and homes made from the earth, rather than re-purposed human establishments or building human-like structures. I imagine a heavy focus on tailoring skills toward efficient hunting and foraging, rather than for combat, horticulture, or pastoralism. c:

I do agree with Alexander about the name, however. It does sound a bit dark, even knowing the proposed origin of it. Though, that may work in the pack's favor if they're relatively passive and might want others to think they're more threatening? IDK, haha. Otherwise, maybe a made-up name in the Svinka language? That could be cool!

Keeping animals and building human structures are both pretty much humanization methods that most Luperci on the site engage in via the current packs and most likely, in most future packs as well and even as loners and loner groups. When I was doing research on wolves or canines in the wild, I found that most wolves or canines of the wild have dens, caves, or some other open enclosure where they and the rest their pack sleep and rest and that most of these shelters are temporary which wouldn't be the case for BrS. Going on the idea and basis that members probably would like some privacy for their characters, it could very well be assumed that their home would be something like Inferni's cavern or New Dawn's cave with multiple branches and side caves so that members could have privacy and keep their own personal belongings. Since there's no real rigid law determining someone's belongings or animals, members could have them if they desired though it would hopefully be rare.

I loved the idea of body paints and marking both members, belongings and their homes. :o That's a really intriguing thought and would positively be a unique aspect to the pack if they used that to some extent.

Based on some of the religion aspect that Qyska would bring in, I'm sure there would be many a bonfire with story telling which would be fun for annual events or even just singular instances.

As far as skills go, I imagine it could go either way though being that the basis for the pack is more feral and less humanization, I feel that tailoring as a skill would probably be limited to furs in some cases since furs can be crafted into almost anything given enough time. There would surely be a number of warriors, hunters, scouts, and foragers like in a regular pack. With the concept that they're giving back to the land rather than just taking away from it. c:

I thought a bit more on the names. Just a few that I have thought of based on the Svinka language:

Kina'ingali - Children of the home. KiL or KI
Devinitka Arbala - Emerald den. DkA or DA
Devikhina Brunala - Adding the two together, Children of the Emerald Den. DkB or DB
Vildiha Ingali - Wanderer's home. VdI or VI

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice (NPC)
Dread
Luperci Witch

Dead OOC