happier still by the flowers of circumstance

POSTED: Wed May 08, 2019 6:08 am

(319)

The bouquet—or posy, huhuhu—came together nicely.

With an abundance of new blooms shining like a rainbow in the Vale, Posey busied her hands gathering colorful bunches. At first, she'd just made fun little flower crowns or tucked tiny blossoms into the coats of her friends, but eventually she resolved to make proper little arrangements. It was something for an old woman to do; she got awfully restless when the day was warm, and it made her feel useful, even though she couldn't contribute in as meaningful ways as a wolf in their prime.

After spreading pretty petals outside her den, ones that would be crushed underfoot but beautiful white like snowflakes nonetheless, she worked on a new project. The pack's constructor, Sedona, was doing a hell of a lot of work on the new bridge, and while Posey wasn't able to help by lifting logs or hunting food, she could show her appreciation by at least making Sedona smile.

Warm colors, that was the ticket. Posey searched across the territory (and even beyond, with Lyric dour at her side) and found some bright pops of color amid verdant green. Sprigs of yellow tansy and dandelion formed the outside, while in the middle she'd chosen flashes of fire-orange from a pasture, the aptly named devil's paintbrush. Add a few white daisies and voilĂ ! You had a small but bright little bouquet.

She'd wrapped the stems in some twine to hold it together, and hoped that it held; the bouquet had time to wilt or fall apart later, but it needed to last a few days to be appreciated. Holding the posy carefully, Posey made her way to the red-brick home that Sedona (she remembered) shared with Sineria. She studied the ivy mazing its way up the brick and wood, smiling, then called out in sing-song:

"Oh Miss Sedona!"

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze
Luperci With Great Distinction

POSTED: Wed May 08, 2019 8:30 pm

WC: 344 +10, use co-rank in a thread.

Sedona was exhausted and sore and looked a bit bedraggled. She'd been working hard on overseeing the primary efforts of the reconstruction of the Rum Bridge after its demise in the torrential rains of the past month. Her fellow able-bodied Mistwalkers were also working around the clock, clearing debris from the clogged riverbed and still others, felling trees from the treeline to use in the construction. It was a labor intensive project and as pack Constructor, the Whitesage coydog was the natural choice to lead everyone in the endeavor.

Having given the orders for the afternoon to those Valemen still working by the St. John's river, the cowgirl had return home for a brief respite. Sineria was not home, he was one of the few out assisting the rebuild, so Sedona had the house to herself. Sighing, she closed the door behind her and hung up her signature hat on a nail by the door before flopping down in the nest of blankets and furs that she and her mate used for their bed every night. Sprawling and stretching, the cowgirl groaned and closed her eyes, getting comfortable. She rubbed at her aching, calloused paws and forearms, relieving some of the built up strain in them. She loved her work, and wouldn't be caught sitting things out for too long when there were duties to perform. Nothing could slow her down for too long, she didn't know the meaning of the word 'quit'.

It was just for a few minutes that she intended to rest her eyes and body and it wasn't much past that when suddenly a familiar voice called out from the front door. "Oh miss Sedona!" One green-gold eye opened, followed by the second. The Hawkesond smiled, always welcome to company, no matter how tired she was. With a grunt she pulled herself up and padded over to the door, opening it to greet her guest. "Howdy Posey! Come on in. What can I do for ya?" She wagged her tail amiably and stepped aside to allow the older female inside.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy
Luperci Drakehund I Mate to Sineria

POSTED: Thu May 09, 2019 9:33 am

(304)

raze making an actual attempt to write longer posts ;_;

The tawny hybrid opened the door, greeting her with her signature drawl. She was a confident and warm woman, but that shouldn't have surprised anyone; she had been sorted into the Hawkesond house for a reason!

Posey returned her tail-wag and stepped into the home, unable to stop herself from looking around curiously. The scents of both Sedona and Sineria reached her nose, and she found herself peering down at the floor, finding trails puppies might run. It was a strange thought that she might have little tan or white puppies running underfoot; she realized that she didn't know Sedona that well, despite how sociable both the Hawkesond and the old Elkenfrey were.

Well, this was a good first step!

Posey presented the bouquet, framed with little yellow flowers, pops of daisies, and the centerpiece of the fiery orange devil's paintbrush. "This is for you!"

She grinned and offered it out with both hands, her tail waving behind her. "Figure ya've done a lot for the pack, 'n' you deserve a gift of 'preciation. I know it ain't much, but it's what I can do." She might have preferred a nice meal, or some tools, or something that didn't just sit pretty for a few days; but that wasn't what Posey provided.

Instead, the gift was one of time and consideration. She'd spent many hours searching for the proper flowers, collecting them in a bouquet, and arranging them how she thought Sedona might like. "Colors reminded me o' sand 'n' apples 'n' bright things," she explained with a wink. "An' I couldn't find no proper red flowers, like yer House 'r yer bandanna, but thought a nice orange was the next best thing."

Her tail wagged again. "Well anyway, hope ya like it!"

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze

POSTED: Sun May 12, 2019 3:38 pm

OOC: Raze did a good! ^^ Do it again! I believe in you! :D WC: 548

IC: Sedona wasn't as well acquainted with the Elkenfrey elder as she would have liked and as she invited Posey into her home, the eccentricity bubbly woman reminded the cowgirl to make right on this. Now was as good a time as any. Closing the door behind the white furred woman, Sedona turned and was greeted by a burst of colorful blossoms held out to her. "This is for you!"

The Whitesage woman at first blinked, surprised by the gesture, her cheeks warming as she reached forward to accept the gift. "Aw, Posey... Ya shouldn't have..." The floral arrangement was stunning, eye catching. The fiery tones bringing a bold brightness into the home and gracing the cowgirl's maw with a wide grin, her tail set to wagging furiously. "Figure ya've done a lot for the pack, 'n' you deserve a gift of 'preciation. I know it ain't much, but it's what I can do." Sedona delicately placed her muzzle into the blossoms and inhaled the varying tones of tart and sweet that each bud provided the bouquet. It was an absolutely lovely gift. And one that Sedona never would've thought of to give herself.

"Colors reminded me o' sand 'n' apples 'n' bright things." Posey continued and Sedona nodded in understanding, catching the meaning in her explanation as she further examined the arrangement, noting how each flower was placed with delicate care. It was such a thoughtful gift... It made the Hawkesond's heart melt. "An' I couldn't find no proper red flowers, like yer House 'r yer bandanna, but thought a nice orange was the next best thing." Sedona chuckled at that, ears folding. "You are so thoughtful and sweet and kind, I never would've thought to look so deeply into flowers. You truly have a unique talent and eye for these things..." She complimented the woman, seeing her in a light that she'd never considered the old pupsitter in before. What a wonderful way to view the world. Through such intricate thoughtful, heartfelt detail. Sedona liked to see the best in everybody, and loved the little things too, but often would get caught up in her daily work so much that she'd miss those little things. Posey's gift was a literal reminder for her to 'stop and smell the flowers' every now and again.

"Well anyway, hope ya like it!" The older woman wagged her tail in sync with Sedona's and the cowgirl couldn't help but beam ear to ear. "Like it? I love it, Posey! Thank you! It's gorgeous and so very heartfelt." She said absolutely gushing, her day having definitely been made by the kind gesture. Careful so as not to crush the blossoms, she drew the Elkenfrey into a warm hug of gratitude. "You are wonderful." She said, smiling, before releasing the woman with a small chuckle. "I just try an' do my best around here. My daily duties I take pride in. I love to work. And I am glad to be of service to y'all in the Vale." She dipped her head humbly. "Now I just hope that I can get that damned bridge back together without too much problem." She chuckled lightheartedly, taking another gentle inhale of the aroma of the bouquet in her paws a look of bliss upon her face.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy

POSTED: Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 pm

(313)

"Maybe not, but I did," replied the elder Elkenfrey cheekily.

She wiggled with delight as Sedona grinned and dipped her snout into the flowers, inhaling the unique aroma. It inspired her to pick flowers for their smells next time, rather than just their colors; maybe she could make unique bouquets that invoked different places or feelings with just their scent. It seemed a more personal and subjective thing than merely matching palettes to people.

What would a proper Sedona bouquet smell like?

Apple blossoms. Straw?

Sedona spoke, and her compliment drew Posey out of her introspection. The old woman's face changed, losing her goofy smile. Instead, her ears dipped almost bashfully, her eyes round, her mouth slightly agape; there was a submissive and almost nervous cast to her body, and she giggled, girlishly.

"Oh, I..."

Words, for once, failed her. Then Sedona pulled her into a hug.

For several seconds Posey didn't move, but then she wrapped her arms gingerly around the dog hybrid in turn. Her fingers curled gently into her tawny fur, and her chin rested on a shoulder. Her skinny body almost shook in the warm embrace.

"You are wonderful."

Posey's eyes brimmed with tears, which she quickly wiped away when Sedona drew back. "Guh-goshdarn pollen," she coughed, and thumbed the wetness off her muzzle. "Weelllll, a few flowers 're the least o' what ya deserve. Ya do good, Sedona. Made an ol' lady happy with yer graciousness." She managed a smile, albeit one more tremulous than usual; she was still taken aback by the Hawkesond's words.

"'m sure you'll fig're it out! Don't be 'fraid to boss everybody around. Put my daughter Lyric t' work, too, she can at the very least carry rocks 'n' logs for ya. I'd help but I'd prolly fall right into the river, huhuhu."

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze

POSTED: Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm

OOC: Posey is so sweet! <3 WC: 412

IC: Sedona was always one to speak from her heart and always genuinely. She never passed up the chance to let someone know how much she appreciated them, or if she noticed something unique about them worth signal boosting, she did. It was in her nature to be friendly and positive. She'd grown up on a ranch where camaraderie and teamwork was vital for all operations to go smoothly. With Posey it was easy to see how kind and caring the older woman was, but there was much more to her than that, and Sedona could tell. She was happy that she could make the elder smile and blush and feel good.

The cowgirl couldn't keep the smile off her face as she watched Posey recover from her emotional moment, which was not lost on Sedona. She could feel the tension release from the elder's posture in the hug. It was a feeling that Sedona cherished. Knowing that she was able to help make someone's day by sharing a little kindness. Smirking ever so slightly into the bouquet she chuckled as the white furred woman attempted to pass off her tears as a reaction to the pollen. "Guh-goshdarn pollen." Sedona's tail wagged as she continued. "--Made an ol' lady happy with yer graciousness." The cowgirl beamed. "I don't think enough people realize just how far a little kindness can really go." She chuckled. "At least there's two of us who know how to brighten peoples day, yeah?" She sad joyfully and placed a paw on the woman's shoulder gently squeezing it, glad for her next vote of confidence and encouragement in regards to the bridge.

"Lyric's already been helping us clear debris from the collapse site. She, Raydiance and a bunch of others volunteered right quick." Sedona informed the Elkenfrey with a certain pride. "I couldn't be happier with the turn out. Everybody's workin' super hard on this." She chuckled. "And no, you're busy enough keepin' an eye on the pups 'round here, we don't need you or them anywhere near the river right now." She smiled and then got and idea as she glanced into the kitchen. "I'll be right back, I'm gonna grab something to put these in, okay?" She gestured carefully with the bouquet at the entrance to where the kitchen was, thinking of an old empty wine flask on the counter which she could fill with water to keep the flowers alive for longer than just a night.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy

POSTED: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 am

()

We can archive this if you want to! Sorry for keeping you waiting. <3

"—just how far a little kindness can really go."

Posey hummed in agreement, and beamed when the coydog squeezed her shoulder. It made quite a difference sometimes, or at least it had in Posey. She always tried to be kind to others and give them a chance, but it wasn't often that she was on the receiving end of such simple compassion. She'd known Sedona to be an industrious woman, but she hadn't known much about her depths. It made the visit all the better!

"Good good!" the old wolf woofed when Sedona explained how the others had all pitched in with the construction. "I know it ain't ideal, 'course, but it's good t' have somethin' that bands us all together." Sometimes strife brought others closer by necessity, and this would be the case for the Vale. "Plus we'll have somethin' we can all be proud of." Something they'd built with their own hands.

She clasped her hands together and nodded as Sedona nipped off to the kitchen, idly glancing around at the simplistic furniture. Her tail loosely wagged still.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze

Dead Topics