lovely as the song in the air

POSTED: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Open for whoever! It's around mid-morning. Backdated for Feb. 30! [+400]

They hadn't been in many churches in their lifetime, as they weren't particularly religious, but...this one was nice. It felt very cozy, like home. It was only a day since they had pledged their service to the pack Mistfell Vale but it felt like ages. Kestrel had a sleepless night, tossing and turning on the stone floor as they lay wrapped in furs. Was this the right thing to do? Were they truly ready to settle down? They felt horribly flighty; nothing was really stopping them from just running away from this place and never returning, but...they would never be allowed back in. And as far as they could tell in the short time that they'd been here, this place was...nice. The dog's nerves were worn, leaving them a tired ember instead of the bright flame they usually were.

Kestrel rubbed at their eyes, scrubbing the tiredness out of their face, then looked up at the ceiling of the church. It was strange being under a roof. It wasn't often that they were able to be under shelter like this, it was a bit of a welcome relief to the cold winds and rain and snow that were an often occurrence this time of year. They pulled themself up into a sitting position, crossing their legs underneath them with a heavy sigh. The furs draped around their body slid off to the floor and they didn't bother gathering them back up again. It was rather quiet in here. Too quiet.

Without even really thinking, their hand reached for the guitar laying nearby. They pulled it into their lap and strummed a couple chords, testing the sound. There was a lovely reverb in the old church, one that brought a soft smile to their face. Maybe this place wasn't so bad after all.

Their voice started off quiet, accented by the strumming of the guitar, but slowly rose to fill the empty church. They wouldn't care if anyone stopped to listen, they were playing both for themself and for their new pack. What better way to introduce yourself than through music? This song wasn't one they had made, they didn't consider themself smart enough to compose things well, rather, it was one they had picked up with the Consort. They had many they learned while traveling with them, stored away in their memory for future use later. It was a song of longing, of things left behind, of new beginnings.

template by veldt, image by @cassi_josh
Last edited by Kestrel Veres on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
there beneath the willow tree

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Aspen
Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:25 am

424 Words

With a sigh, Wally ran a hand over his head, feeling his fur up there was getting a bit thicker recently and he wondered if it would develop into hair like Falcon's, or if it would just remain as longer fur. It didn't matter too much, as long as it didn't mess with his sight. He went out that morning to try hunting and came back empty-handed, glad he didn't bother camouflaging his face. He didn't go out as often as he did towards the colder parts of the season, but today was an occasion, because he fixed up a spear, finally caving into using his father's spearhead as the blade.

The rust was cleaned and was attached securely to one of the better staffs he had, making it the strongest spear in his possession since he came into Mistfell. Of course, the trip was mostly a waste of time, but some of that time was devoted to him swinging the weapon around a bit to get a feel for it. Sure, he was happy the weapon was sturdy, but there was some apprehension, as it was the last thing from his father. He didn't want to damage it, or worse, lose it. There was also the glaive idea he wanted to bring to fruition.

As he made his way into town, his ears picked up on an unusual sound. It was some noise, shouting possibly? No, it was singing, accompanied with a...guitar? This music was uncommon to the shepherd dog's ears, and he was quick to follow it into the church. Standing at the entrance, Wally was uncertain if he should enter, not used to entering the building, but caved in, his curiosity getting the better of him.

As he opened the door, the sound got much clearer, allowing him to pick up on the rhythm and a certain energy that made him happy. As he looked around, he found the source as a rusty-looking dog playing a guitar. He was positive he never seen them before and guessed they were new, but their music caught his interest. There were few musicians he met in his life, including a dog from his original pack. From his experiences, he had a preference for the faster things, but he loved anything with a lot of energy or with a nice beat he could dance to. It was safe to say the dog's music satisfied his criteria and he remained silent to not disturb them, even if his head was visible and bobbing to the beat.
Last edited by Wally Sherman on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Noah
Spotlight Soul Tailor I

POSTED: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:14 am

[262] • jsyk, Kes is a dog dog, not a wolfdog :)

They hadn't heard the door to the church open, too occupied with their music, but the flash of movement out of the corner of their eye alerted them to the shepherd's presence. Gray-blue eyes glanced up to look at him enjoying himself and Kestrel wagged their tail, pleased that they could make someone happy at the very least. They took the time to finish off the song they were performing before setting the guitar down, now giving the other dog their full attention.

"Good morning. I hope I'm not being too noisy, I'll stop if it gets too annoying." The dog smiled in spite of their current rush of mixed feelings, used to hiding their innermost emotions behind a mask of pretend happiness. "I'm Kestrel, I'm new to the pack...Just joined yesterday, actually." They got to their feet, stretching. The stone floor was a little hard on their hips, sitting on it for so long. Kestrel's long, wavy hair, now down instead of tied up like usual, fell across their face and they moved a hand up to brush it out of their eyes. Bright eyes once again glanced up at the young man, getting a better look at him. He smelled as if he had been out in the forest doing something. Something to do with that spear he held.

"Been hunting, huh? Or maybe attacking trespassers...?" Their voice, feminine and lilting, held a note of amusement at his apparent lack of prey; the spear wasn't bloodied. Luperci blood or otherwise.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Aspen
Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Ah, don't know how I didn't notice that! It should be fixed now
203 words

When they finished, Wally finally walked up, a bit afraid doing so beforehand would stop the song prematurely. His own tail was wagging a bit in response to theirs, and a grin tugged at his face as he held up a hand for a greeting. "Mornin'. Don't worry 'bout it, Mistfell's kinda quiet anyways. Besides, yer really good at playin'. How long have ye been doin it?"

"Ah," he said, the realization coming to his face, "that be why I haven't seen ye before." He pointed a thumb to himself. "Call me Wally. I work wit' clothes, so let me know if ye want anythin' sewn together or stitched up. How are ye likin' Mistfell so far?"

Their amused voice brought out a playful huff from the shepherd dog. "If ye can call it that. T'a blasted winter makes prey hard to find. Really, t'a only reason why I headed out was because I wanted to try out me spear." He proudly presented it. "I hope it'll be easier when summer comes around. I'm kinda tired of starvin'." With a twitch of his ear, he allowed the spear to lean on him as he crossed his arms. "Where did ye head in from?"
Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Noah
Spotlight Soul Tailor I

POSTED: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:34 pm

[313] • OOC Text

Kestrel's ears perked at the compliment and they smiled warmly. The shepherd dog had earned himself another tail wag."Thank you! I've been playing, let's see...almost four full seasons now? I'm pretty young still but I practice all the time so I picked it up quickly. From what I've seen so far, it is quiet here...Maybe I can change that." They winked playfully, a bubble of good-natured laughter escaping their throat. The man before them introduced himself as Wally, and that he worked with clothes. The Setter dog leaned against their guitar in their lap, crossing their arms over the side of it and resting their chin in the crook of their arms as they gazed up at him. This guy was nice and easy to talk to, enough that they felt they could relax some around him.

"Nice to meetcha, Wally. I'll definitely come find you if I get a tear in my pants or something." And...how did they like Mistfell Vale so far...? "Hmm...Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of it yet. It feels promising, though." Kestrel eyed the spear Wally was holding, still smiling with that playful glint of amusement in their eyes. "Oh, definitely. Hopefully more prey will come around soon, I understand where you're coming from completely."

Now the common question, the standard question asked of travelers. They supposed it wouldn't hurt to tell the truth, now that this was their new home. They couldn't help but feel a pit of apprehension settle in their stomach, however. "Ah, I'm from down south, in the States. Midwest area. But I've been traveling a long time. I've been around this area for a while, I would say. I've told you my story, now I gotta ask...where are you from?"

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Aspen
Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:46 pm

424 Words

Even if he had heard the terminology before, hearing her go by seasons made Wally's head tilt a bit. He was more accustomed by the winters that passed by, since seasons to him consisted of summer, winter, and everything in between. Still, he was smart enough to guess she started one winter ago, probably around the same time he had access to his hands. "Aye, I can agree wit' that. It be much quieter than I'm used to, so some extra noise would be nice to hear." A thought caused his grin to widen. "Except fer nighttime, I'm not a good sleeper, an' I'll probably be afraid the noise is from a trespasser!" He chuckled at the thought, though soft music might be alright. Actually, it could be helpful for his troublesome sleep schedule.

A shrug came from the wolverthorne. "Aye, that's fair. I felt somethin' similar when I joined." Of course, he left out the joy of joining before winter struck. He would've joined any pack if it kept him from freezing over during the winter, as long as they didn't try as much as to ruin his fur. With a curious gaze, he wondered how Kestrel fared, since this winter was a really bad one. Now granted, he had only lived through two winters, and while the first one had him bedridden for most of it, he heard it was a bad winter from some of his other packmates.

His head tilted a bit out of confusion. She was from the Midwest? Where was the Midwest? What were these States? Was that what others called his lands? "I also be from t'a south. Not sure if it's near where ye're from, but it was isolated, kinda foresty like here. There be a few coyote packs around, and an occasional traveler every now an' then." With a pause, he added, "It took me a month or two t'a get up here, how 'bout yerself?" Time was a good estimate on how far away something was. Sure, just a month of him was a long time to waste, but he knew people like Phoenix who traveled on horseback or his healer who came from across the ocean took much longer. He wondered where Kestrel fit in that scale, or possibly if they were somehow outside of it?

With a pause passing by, Wally decided to ask how she managed the winter. "By t'a way, ye were in t'a area fer a while, aye? How'd ye deal wit' the snow? This winter be rather harsh."
Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Noah
Spotlight Soul Tailor I

POSTED: Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm

[421] • OOC Text

Kestrel quirked an eyebrow at the man, an interested half-smile still on their face. "Well, Wally, I'll be sure to keep my noise down at night so I don't startle you." Their dextrous fingers, ever moving, tapped lightly against the wood of the instrument in their lap. The Setter dog practically leaked confidence outwardly, but inwardly they were still apprehensive about this whole ordeal, being in a new pack and meeting new pack members. Their soft tapping was the only visible sign that they were uncomfortable. But comfort never came easy; talking with Wally was helping to ease their nerves some. They would become more comfortable with their surroundings in due time.

Wally expressed some confusion about what the "States" were and Kestrel's expression turned sheepish. They had picked up that terminology from traveling with their previous band of loners; they forgot not everyone called them that. "Oh, sorry, I, uh, picked that up from somewhere else. Yes, I'm from the south. That's just what I've heard it be called, I don't know the actual name for it..." They skipped over the part where he mentioned coyote packs and whatnot. They couldn't afford to give away too much information about their origins. If Wally was paying attention, he may have noticed that Kestrel's tapping fingers had curled into a tight fist. "Uh, yeah, I'd say it took me a few months to get up here. I traveled around various areas though, I didn't come straight here. I was traveling with a band of other musicians and performers." The dog paused, their hand relaxing at the thought of their old friends. "We kinda just went where the wind took us, performing for people...It was nice. i picked up lots of useful things with them. But I wanted to strike out on my own after a while, so I left them and...here I am. Riveting story, I know." Kestrel chuckled softly in spite of themself, glancing up at Wally once more.

"Yeah, this winter was not pretty...But my coat's fairly thick and I'm used to traveling, plus I had lots of furs with me to keep warm. But I suppose I probably should have found the Vale sooner, it's nice to be inside somewhere where it's a little warmer." Another pause. Kestrel tilted their head curiously to one side, looking Wally up and down once more. "What about you? How did you fare, friend?"

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Aspen
Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Fri May 22, 2020 11:57 pm

613 Words

He was quick to wave away the apology. "Don't worry, if there be one thing I learned here, it's t'at everyone seems to know more of t'a world than I do." It was funny, even with his old pack being filled with travelers itself, including one from across the sea, and his travels north, It was this small place where he learned much more of the world around him. Wally's ears twitched when Kestrel's tapping stopped, and with a twitch of his eyes, he noticed the fist their fingers were in. Was their birthplace a sore spot for them, or was it their travel here?

He could at least rule out the later when they talked about the performers. While they didn't go into too much detail, it seemed they were fond enough of them to say as much as they did. "It still be interestin' to hear about, I haven't met many per-form-ers." While he wasn't too sure if he met one in real life, some of the groups he met on his travels did have instruments, while the others either danced or told a story, maybe both. He always did like the dancers more, since he could sometimes join in and forget he might freeze the coming winter. Maybe he should've joined them, but that was when he still had hope of making it back home. "What things did ye perform?" Music was obvious, but did they also dance, do stories, or was there something else?

It did sound like a good existence, making people happy and not caring too much of what came next, but it wasn't something for him. While he could manage traveling, he could never maintain it for the rest of his life. He liked having a place to stay at, a collection to amass, some stability of knowing everything's going to manage well enough. While the people along with him would vary, he felt they would be more willing to stay in the pack that didn't move around too often.

"Maybe I can do somethin' fer some of those furs." While he was fine living like he was, his home was still rather spartan in appearance and he could definitely enjoy the extra furs when winter comes again. Their question caused Wally to rub the back of his neck, thinking back a few months before now. "Well, I survived, so I be happy fer that. I didn't fall ill this time 'round, so it be better than me first." That didn't mean it was much different, being mostly uneventful with him failing to catch food and staying mostly confined indoors. "I guess if anythin' happened, the roof to me house collapsed from t'a snow, but I got that fixed up well enough. Other than that an' some trespassers, not much else happened. I guess I'm jus' glad most of me has thick enough fur to block out t'a worst of t'a winter, an' everythin' else be covered up."

At this point, he started feeling like he was outstaying his welcome. The fist was enough for him to guess he was treading on some light ground and he briefly considered addressing it. He shook the thought away; maybe he could pull it up once Kestrel got more comfortable here. Maybe he'll ask one last thing. If ye don't mind me askin', how long are ye plannin' to stay here? I'm jus' curious, since in me old pack, there be travelers who stay a year before movin' on." He actually never witnessed this, only listening to what his parents said. Maybe he was asking because of her nomadic history, and he wasn't sure what else to ask about.
Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Noah
Spotlight Soul Tailor I

Mistfell Vale