clarity

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am

He wondered if he had been here before.

Sometimes the phantom traces of things lingered in his mind, memories he couldn't be sure were true -- they certainly felt real, but more than once his recollections had failed him.

In this moment, then, the man couldn't be sure if this was something real and tangible, or if it was a false memory.

He sniffed the borders once, twice. It smelled of pine and spruce, a refreshing serving of evergreen and mist. Light as virgin dew in the morning. And he really wanted to believe he had seen this place once, been into its lands. It warped his perception so severely that, for a split second, he felt as if he had stumbled upon the Court -- but the excitement of seeing his old home was summarily dashed when he realized he was far, far away from those lands.

In fact, he had yet to see them at all, a slave to his wanderings and never coming close to finding Cour des Miracles again. He hadn't caught sight of them in a long, long time. Would they even recognize him? Would he recognize them?

Never mind that. They were worlds away now.

For now he would continue to pace around this unknown pack's borders, his nose still twitching as he sidestepped around it, hopeful that just the right angle would help him glean more into a memory he may or may not had manufactured himself.

• • •

heyo! AW for one mistwalker. not /in/ MV lands, but rather close. this is backdated several days so it's not so close to the pack's disbandment.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Loners
Hybrid
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:12 pm

As often on the occasions when she had little else to do, Urskar found herself wandering again. Maybe it was her time as a loner that never quite left her; loitering around her den area too long seemed to make her restless lately, and though it felt good to be surrounded by the chatter and bustle of the pack there were times in the day when she found herself needing her own company for a while. Besides, time spent surveying pack territory was surely not wasted, she reasoned, and all the more potential opportunity to try and practice her hunting skills. She couldn't say she had made much progress on the latter so far, but at least it wasn't for want of trying.

The cool, damp air clung to Urskar's pelt as she moved through the grass, lost in her thoughts. She hadn't done too badly for herself over the last moon, she mused, already promoted to house Wolverthorne just recently. Her packmates were, on the whole, a seemingly decent, kindly bunch, and she had felt more at ease in the last few weeks than she had felt in a long time--maybe ever. And yet, she couldn't shake the feeling of being a little set-apart, nonetheless. Maybe it was her more feral, uncivilized upbringing, or her non-Luperci heritage; there were still elements of her pack interaction that were as yet beyond her capability, or even understanding. It was easy to feel lost, sometimes. It felt easier then to come out here and lose oneself a little more.

Nearing the perimeter of the pack territory, a strange scent stole upon Urskar's senses, and she stopped to raise her muzzle in its direction. On the other side of the border, close to its edges, she could make out the figure of a man, likely some kind of mixture of wolfdog of some kind, from what she could tell. His mannerisms seemed intentional to Urskar, skirting around the perimeter as if looking for someone, or something, or even to initiate pack contact--though not obviously hostile.

Someone looking to join? Urskar thought, thinking back to the day when she had approached the border in a similar fashion on what would be her first day in Mistfell Vale, not long ago, so it felt.

Well, anyone that close to the border needs investigating, anyhow, Urskar decided grimly, remembering herself, and picked up her pace, easy in gait but assertive.

'Hello there,' she called out to the newcomer, as she strode purposefully to the border's edge.
Loners
Wolfdog
Larstral
Non-Luperci With great distinction, I carry onThe Steadfast Spirit

POSTED: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:51 pm

The outsider had little time to deliberate much longer, at least not in his solitude; his semi-pricked ears tipped forward at the sound, the new scent that mingled with the fresh evergreen.

And soon he could put a face to them. She was in her four-legged form, and the missing ear was one of the first things he noticed. That and her pitch-black fur, something that stirred an uncomfortable, uneasy feeling within him -- but it was a superficial similarity, to someone that was long gone by now.

Still, the wariness lingered, and it appeared to be a sentiment shared between the two of them.

"Hello," he wuffed back, voice soft, inoffensive. She was clearly of this group, and she had reason to wonder why a stranger was saddling so close to her packlands. Solomon would've been foolish to push his luck much further than that.

"Sorry, I... I'm a little lost." He was tense, but he forced his shoulders to relax as his eyes fell from her golden gaze back to the ground. "What pack is this?"

• • •
thanks for joining!! :awoo:

Loners
Hybrid
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:16 pm

As Urskar emerged before the newcomer at the border, she was able to look at him more closely. Judging from the colouration of his pelt and his semi-pricked ears, he seemed to have a little more dog ancestry in him than she did--or at least, it was more visible. She relaxed a little at hearing his question, regarding him with her good ear pricked inquisitively. At least he didn't seem threatening so far, wary if anything, and perhaps even a little vulnerable in his confusion.

Funny that he shouldn't know whose borders these were, Urskar thought to herself. She had assumed herself a probable rarity among her fellow pack members for not knowing much about the basic politics and whereabouts of other packs besides her own, having been largely ignorant throughout her previous loner existence--yet even she had heard of Mistfell Vale prior to joining. She wondered if this man, too, was a loner; and felt stab of sympathy despite herself, remembering who she once had been, how lost she too had felt, not so long ago.

'This is Mistfell Vale,' Urskar responded in her usual deep, gruff tone--then, with a softer edge; 'do you require any assistance here?'

OOC; You're welcome!
Loners
Wolfdog
Larstral

POSTED: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:03 am

He didn't recognize the name.

But really, with the heavy cloud that shrouded most of his thoughts, this wasn't entirely unexpected. Perhaps he had heard of the Vale in passing, along his journies that had fallen to the wayside. It was far too hopeful for Solomon to have thought he'd actually know of it.

Still, he had persisted, in some vain attempt to prove to himself that it wasn't getting worse. He wasn't getting worse. But this disappointment he felt now was going to get buried, anyway, bitter a thought as it was.

"No," he answered, but his skinny form might have suggested otherwise. "I am just passing through." A vagrant, a ghost.

That would have been a good exit point, to leave this woman be. But, selfishly, he didn't want to let go yet. Not when he so desperately craved interaction. He had been alone for so long.

"I'm Solomon." It wasn't much for her to work with, in hindsight. "Have you been here long? Is this pack new?"

Loners
Hybrid
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Urskar hesitated and narrowed her eyes slightly, shifting her gaze warily from side to side. To tell the truth, she was a little unprepared for this situation. She had a hunch that allowing strangers to linger too close to the border was probably not something the Ursachron would endorse, and this man should probably be leaving now, if he truly was 'just passing through' and didn't need any more from her.

And yet...he was still on the right side of the border, wasn't he? And he didn't seem to want any trouble...indeed, judging from his thin frame, Urskar was fairly confident the man would not likely be too much of a threat to her even if his intentions did somehow turn out to be malicious, for whatever reason. Strange, yes, that a man should just turn up like this at the border of a pack and ask these questions, tell his name, with no obvious purpose. Still, it was surely no crime to answer, right?

'This pack isn't new,' Urskar responded, carefully, allowing herself to relax a little; 'At least, not to my knowledge.'
'I...haven't been here long, no. A half-moon, maybe, little over perhaps.'
She paused, then, still uncertain.

'I'm Urskar,' She added, finally.
Loners
Wolfdog
Larstral

POSTED: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:40 am

It wasn't new, then. Fair enough; the wolfdog hadn't been back to these lands in some time now, or at least, he didn't think he had. He was ignorant of the fact that his wanderings oftentimes had him weaving in and out of Nova Scotia in an aimless path, but to him, many areas were being seen with fresh eyes each and every time.

After a while, unless he came across a pack like this, it was an endless forest with the same trees, only changing with the seasons.

She, however, was new to it, so there were still things she didn't know. Also fair. That would mean the amount of information he would get was limited, but it wasn't as if much was at stake otherwise.

Urskar. That was an interesting name.

"Nice to meet you," he replied, but his voice trailed off soon after. He paused for a moment, thinking of how to proceed. Normally he wasn't this awkward (which was saying a lot), but she was a rather quiet woman.

"Do you know of any other packs around here? I'm trying to get a sense of the land. It... seems like it's changed, much different than when I last came here."

Loners
Hybrid
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 am

'Nice to meet you, too,' Urskar responded, still a little bemused. It was nice, wasn't it? She deduced then that at present, she had no reason to assume it wasn't.

'Well, I don't know about around here as such, you're prob'ly still looking at a good while's walk, either way,' Her brows furrowed slightly and she tilted her gaze to one side as she considered the stranger's question.

'Y'got Del Cenere up north, they're prob'ly closest as the crow flies. Salsola's southeast a bit I think, then y'got Casa Di...Cavalry or summat, can't remember the name, southwards some more I think. I en't an expert to be honest,' she confessed; 'I used to travel a bit here an' there before I joined Mistfell. Didn't stay long enough anyplace to properly take notice of packs, 'cept to stay away from the borders.'

Urskar turned back to the stranger and studied him a little more closely. He was probably a little older than herself, though still fairly young, by her estimation. She had known the existence of Mistfell Vale for some time now, even prior to having thoughts of joining a pack. How long ago exactly had this man been here last for him to not have remembered the existence of a pack? Had there been others here before that she was unaware of? Considering her still limited grasp of pack politics, it was probably not unlikely, she thought.

'Say, if you don't mind me askin', what was it like here when you came here last?' Urskar asked, with easy curiosity.
Loners
Wolfdog
Larstral

POSTED: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:17 pm

At least she had a basic layout of the land -- yet all the names were just as foreign to him, as if he'd stumbled into some other world. Had things really changed that much? Or were these packs here the whole time? Solomon was used to this sort of ambiguity, no doubt, but it never ceased to trip him up regardless.

Only one of the names seemed vaguely familiar, this Salsola; but even then, he was grasping at straws.

"No, no, that's alright," he assured, even attempting a small smile, "More than I knew before. Thank you."

It was genuine, this gratitude. Even if he'd forget everything she said once he left, even if he'd forget her, it was real in that moment.

But that little grin faded when Urskar spoke again, and his eyes fell. "I'm... not sure," he said cautiously, his words heavy. "My memory's a bit foggy. But I do remember one pack." He tried not to dwell on his crippling downfall, instead focusing on what he did know.

"It was called Cour des Miracles." A beat, and he sighed. "But I haven't been able to find it again. I thought for a moment this pack might have been it, before you arrived."

Loners
Hybrid
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:03 pm

At hearing Solomon name the pack he remembered, Urskar opened her mouth to respond--then closed it again, brows furrowed.

Cour des Miracles...maybe she had heard that name once before, actually, when she had been scarcely more than a pup. Not that she would have known much about packs back then, having never had any inclination to join one until recently.

When Urskar had first learned of Mistfell, it had been described to her as having grown from a band of loners and misfits, a group that welcomed all those that didn't belong, provided they were decent of heart; this knowledge having eventually led Urskar to joining Mistfell in particular in the first place, in the belief that she may find safety there. Yet while the pack had definitely been as welcoming to Urskar as she had hoped, she had yet to meet many within the pack with as similarly vagrant a background as herself. Could this stranger's memories be in some way truthful, somehow, after all?

'I...think I may have heard of that pack,' Urskar said finally, slowly; 'I heard the name mentioned once, I think. Maybe...maybe it used to be here, perhaps, I don't know. But there's definitely only Mistfell here now.'

'Uh, maybe I could ask around? In case someone here does know about the pack you're looking for,' She suggested then, struggling a little for what best to say.

It was possibly doubtful, being as she had never heard the name spoken here before; coming to think of it, Urskar also wasn't entirely sure who she would ask, or how they would feel about enlightening a loner she had just met at the border. But this poor fellow just seemed quite lost, she thought, at very least she could offer.
Loners
Wolfdog
Larstral

Northern Tides