Clean up on aisle Orchard

POSTED: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:31 pm

MV – Drakehund Ranks wrote:“Complete [an] AW [thread] in [a] distinct sub-territories of the Vale.”

Optime | Hee Haw Orchard; noon | NPC: Glade (+333)

AW for one! Help Ragna clean up the orchard!

The place had definitely seen better days. The fall of the humans had left the spot of farmland to become overgrown with thick bushes, weeds, and other wild flora. Discarded and forgotten pieces of wood or tools or otherwise lay wherever they had fallen, either by a greedy scavenger or by one of the many storms that had raked the region in years past. Either way, the orchard was in desperate need of some attention to clean it up to where it would be a suitable place for the pack’s apparently growing number of livestock.

To think, in the beginning stages of the newly founded pack, they had only had the Nightstag’s little group of goats and then a few personally-owned horses. Now, they had obtained sheep, chickens, a couple of pigs and horses, and then a random goose. The orchard had served its purpose thus far, and the communal stock had been kept relatively confined for the time being. It could be improved upon though, and with the weather still warm and ground still soft, there was no better time to do a bit of manual labor.

Ragna had found an old, discarded tool that looked like a poor excuse for a sickle from within the dilapidated barn. Though it was no longer as sharp as it had once been, and looking diseased with the rust that was slowly spreading across its metal, the tool had been useful thus far for what the Eklund had been using it for. It help crush down the prickly, overgrown plant life so that she could get to the roots and uproot the bush of a plant in its entirety.

Her small companion, Glade, was somewhere in the area. He had taken to hunting for the mice and rats that were sent scurrying as Ragna destroyed their hiding places. The marten didn’t stray far, and the Eklund could hear the high-pitched squeak whenever he managed to catch one of the rodents.

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Songbird
Luperci Scout I
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:48 pm

The orchard was one of the few places Kenai had ever visited. She had caught word of it one day from a passing pack member and it struck her curiosity. When she inquired, she was given directions to its location and condition. Upon hearing how it needed help, Kenai had decided to take it upon herself to take a couple smaller tools to do something to help it out. She knew there were quite a few livestock living on the pack lands now, so perhaps this orchard could provide more space once it was cleaned up. And who knew - maybe the orchard could once again grow food next year. Kenai smiled with the thought of making dutch oven apple cobblers again. The very scent of the cinnamon, apple, and honey roasted oats filled her senses and gave her such euphoria that she was humming loudly to herself. In fact, she almost missed the Orchard as she walked past and look to her left. "Oops!" she said to herself as she turned around on the worn down path and stepped inside the overgrowth.

Truly, this place did need help. It would take more than just her to clear it up. The back of her right paw wiped her forehead out of being overwhelmed, but she would not be deterred. Mostly, it looked to be the weeds and overgrowth that needed controlling which would be easy enough, but time consuming. She had brought a smaller sickle with her that could be used for that, but perhaps there would be a staff she could tie that to in order to extend its use. Looking to her right, there was a barn that was in dire need of repair. Perhaps there was still some goods in the barn to provide something useful besides herself. When she walked to the doors, a figure was already inside. "Oh! Hello Ragna!" Kenai exclaimed as she opened the doors more. "Fancy seeing you here. Cleaning up the orchard too I take it?" Now that there was more light in the barn, Kenai sighed with the condition. It was just as terrible. "Where's your little martin?"
Kenai Stone

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Aislin

POSTED: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:45 pm

NPC: Glade (+400)

Thanks for joining! ^___^

She had been successful in uprooting a few of the overgrown weeds and prickly bushes, but her patience had begun to wear thin the longer she spent trying to fight off the out of control plants with the tool and her arm. The defensive spikes and pointed, jagged ends of stiff leaves poked and prodded at her, stubbornly trying to fight off the Luperci that was hellbent on uprooting them from the place they had called “home” for however many years before the Vale had come to claim the land. Surely, there had to have been a better way.

So, she had returned to the barn, and it was there that she was found by another. Ragna glanced over her shoulder as she heard the approaching footfalls and the door protest as it was opened wider. “Stone,” she greeted coolly, straightening from her hunched over posture in her vain search of some sort of useful tool to effectively ward off the troublesome plant life. She offered a nod, her glacier gaze flicking to the world outside the barn, glaring at the distant weeds that taunted her from out there. “Yes. If the Vale is to grow and prosper, it would be in our best interest to have a place we can actually use to house our growing number of livestock.”

Ragna did better with horses than she did with actual livestock, however, she had recognized a problem and—seeing as how it didn’t seem anybody else was doing much about it—had decided to take things into her own hands. It didn’t take knowledge or experience with sheep or chickens to know that they needed a place that wasn’t a tripping hazard to any Luperci that dared to come down to the orchard to tend to them. Getting rid of hiding places for rodents would help with making sure the vermin didn’t make their livestock sick or eat their food.

At the mention of Glade, the marten appeared with a fat rat trapped between his jaws. He bounded into the barn, dropping his recent kill as he looked up to the newly sorted Wolverthorne. “Hi, Kenai! Here help too, yes?” He chattered happily. “Lots weeds and vermin kill! Ragna say no good for animals living here.”

The Eklund eyed the sickle in the younger Mistwalker’s hand. “What clean up plans did you have in mind?”

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Songbird
Luperci Scout I
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:03 pm

The calling of her last name instead of her first made Kenai smirk a bit. It reminded her of a pack member from her home who greeted her the same way. Kenai hummed in agreement as she took looked outside the barn while she talked. It was such a sad state the place had been in and to see no one else taking part made her curious. She then looked back to Ragna when she mentioned livestock. "Ah, yes, it is urgent that we get this place cleaned up. I am sure it would make better use than squeezing livestock into places they don't fit well." When the martin, Glade, came running up to greet her and talking about the rats, Kenai smiled. "I bet you are doing the rat hunting aren't you? You're the perfect one for it!" she said when she kneeled down and pet him a couple times. "Having rats here definitely isn't good for the livestock. They bring disease and are little thieves." Kenai stood up again when Ragna asked what she would be doing for cleanup.

It would be great to turn this barn into a communal structure for the pack. Not only did it have the space, it was in an ideal place almost in the middle of everything making it easy to manage the upkeep. The only issue was the overgrowth and with summer now going into fall, perhaps they could burn some of the overgrowth. The problem was it was green and it would smoke more than actually burn. And with all of the thorns, it would be an annoying process. But once it was done, it would be much easier to finish it up. Too bad they didn't have goats to eat up the thorns! They'd eat anything if someone let them.

"Ah, well, something similar to you I guess. I was gonna think of something when I got here. Now that I am here, it all seems so overwhelming." she then remembered the tool in her hand. "Oh! I was going to try and extend this a bit. Thought it might help if there was a little bit of a length to it. Though with the thorns, we might need a metal machete or something." she said as she walked to the back of the barn to find an appropriate enough stick for it. And it needed a hole in the middle for a handle to help stabilize it. "I thought I would try my luck. Is the stick on the sickle you have good enough to use? We could probably change the blades out. Mine isn't as rusted and is sharp at least." she said.
Kenai Stone

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Aislin

POSTED: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:57 pm

NPC: Glade (+467)

Sorry for the delay @___@ Haven’t felt like writing much lately. Also, sorry if this is kind of sucky!

Ragna nodded in her agreement to Kenai’s statement. Keeping the animals in small, sectioned off places would breed disease and such, as well, leave the animals themselves to be rather unhappy as a whole. And, while the Eklund didn’t much care for the lesser creatures—other than the horses—she was not cruel, nor was she entirely unempathetic. Happy animals meant better tasting meat and other healthier byproducts such as good wool from the sheep. If the pack was to thrive, they needed quality goods for trade if they wanted to enjoy a more humanized lifestyle.

Her marten companion was overjoyed when Kenai gave him her attention and even complimented him. Ragna shook her head and rolled her eyes as Glade practically ate the praise up. “Thank you! Thank you! Help where can since no have hands like Luperci!” He chattered animatedly. While his little paws could grip things, he had not the strength or dexterity of them to do as they could with theirs. “I go find more!” And, with that, the mustelid picked up his prize and bounded off. Knowing him, he’d probably place it somewhere to ward off other rats, or, would bury it.

With her companion off on his killing spree, Ragna could focus her attentions onto Kenai. At the mention of their chosen tools, the Eklund twirled hers idly as she followed after the younger Wolverthrone. “I’ve been using this more as a way to ward off the prickly overgrowth so I can get at the roots and just pull out the whole the whole plant. I came back to the barn to see if I could find something better though. Didn’t like being stabbed by plants.” In other words, the rusted tool sucked for its actual intended purpose.

She looked around, searching for a stick or long, wooden handle that Kenai could use to affix to her tool. “Perhaps we could use yours to cut out some of the plant, and then I can use mine to finish the job?” There was no point to dull Kenai’s blade with hacking at the thick stump of the overgrown bushes.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted something promising and made her way over to it. Ragna swatted at the mass of cobwebs with her sickle, clearing a path to the item she sought. “How about this?” She asked from over her shoulder. It was an old broomstick handle, however, it looked as if the actual “broom” part of the tool had been either broken off or had been otherwise removed or eaten away. Ragna turned, shaking off any remaining cobwebs before offering the stick to Kenai. “Will that work for you? I’m sure we can find some rope or twine somewhere in here.”

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Songbird
Luperci Scout I
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:55 pm

No worries as I've gone through the same bought with a job change and schedule change. I'm now a "morning person". Ugh.

Kenai chuckled as the martin bounded off leaving the two Luperci to focus on each other. Kenai thought of the martin as an excitable little kid and knew how to keep his attention distracted enough from the adults. Kenai listened to Ragna and nodded every now and then to show acknowledgement while she thought. "Once the thorns are off, it will be much easier. I have a salve back at my place for any cuts you might get from the thorns. It'll make the pain less from the initial prick. Because.. plants can be a prick." Kenai chuckled as she sent a wink Ragna's way trying to lighten the situation a bit. While taking out massive plants was a bore or frustrating situation there was no reason they couldn't have fun with it.

When Ragna pointed out a broom stick, Kenai inspected it and smiled. "Yes this should work fine. It provides a long enough length to make it so we get poked less. My scythe has a sharper edge so it may help with the thicker stuff so we're not chopping so much. Though if we found a hatchet, that would be way easier." she said as she looked around in the barn for something to tie the broomstick to her scythe with. "Worst case scenario, we just treat the tool you have as a hatchet." she chuckled.

Seeing the hay pile in the back, she looked through it as rats went diving out of their hiding places and found pieces of twine, but none long enough to keep the scythe attached for long. Rats had been using it for bedding so its condition wasn't the greatest. Maybe using one of the vines from outside would be better. Kenai went back out of the barn to find an ivy plant growing up a tree. She started from the base of the tree and followed it up to find a long enough piece to be able to take off and use.

A moment later, she came back with a two foot long ivy piece that was green. The freshness of the ivy would make it strong enough for her tool. After the leaves were removed, she held her scythe and the broomstick together to find the right place to attach the two. "Might need a hand with this. If you can hold the scythe here under the blade, and the broomstick here, I can wrap the two together." Kenai said as she indicated the places where to hold it at.

Once Kenai would be able to start wrapping it, she wondered what the two could talk about while they worked to clean up the barn. "How did you meet Glade? I don't think I really asked."
Kenai Stone

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Aislin

POSTED: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:17 pm

(+564)

The scout offered a nod in agreement to Kenai’s assessment, and, at her later offer of medicinal help, Ragna’s brows rose with both interest and surprise. This expression was quickly exchanged for one of mild amusement as a pun rolled off the younger Wolverthorne’s tongue. Ragna let out a sharp exhale, a smile curling at the edge of her lip as she shook her head. “Thank you for the offer, Stone,” she said, glossing over the pun entirely.

Thankfully, it seemed the broomstick handle Ragna had found would help the pair with their endeavors. At the mention of a hatchet, Ragna glanced around. “Tch. It’d probably be more rusted than this sickle is if we found one.” In all honesty, it was a miracle that she’d found what she had. The scavengers had definitely picked the barn over in the years before the Vale had come to claim the land. In her hand, she played with the rusted sickle, turning it over and over in her palm. “I might have better luck using this thing as a blunt weapon to throw at the rats, honestly.” To this, she turned back to Kenai, a feral grin spreading across her lips at the amusing thought of violence.

She left Kenai to search for some sort of binding material on her own. They’d be able to cover more ground if they split up, and, perhaps, Ragna might be able to come across a tool that would be of better use than the rusted one she had. In truth, the ex-soldier could have used one of her knives for cutting, however, she wasn’t about to dull her blades on housekeeping duties when their intent was for cutting through flesh. It would have been a waste.

Eventually, Ragna abandoned searching through the barn, and found Kenai outside and already with something to hold her sickle to the broomstick handle. The scout moved over to help Kenai attach the two items to one another. She grasped the pair together as Kenai wanted, holding them steady as the other Wolverthorne wrapped the vine securely around them to hold them in place.

Her ears flickered with surprise at the question that was asked. Not many Luperci had ever cared to know such a thing, though, most of them seemed to think of the little marten as a lesser creature to begin with. Being nonchalant, Ragna shrugged. “He found me, actually. He just sort of appeared one day, and it wasn’t until later after I’d taught him High Speech that I learned that he had lost his family to a pelt-maker. My…” She paused, her glacier eyes becoming a little more downcast for a brief moment. “…my bother and I had killed the Luperci during a war between our packs. Inadvertently, we had saved Glade’s life in the process. He followed my brother and I. Apparently felt safe with us near, or something like that.”

Ragna needed a subject change. Her previous life in Boreas was not one that needed to be shared with those of the Vale. “Looks about done,” she commented towards the altered tool between them. Her cold gaze shifted to the nearby overgrowth. “You cut down the thick of it, and I’ll uproot the things? We can burn what we tear up to make disposal easier.”

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Wolverthorne
Songbird
Luperci Scout I
Do not go gentle
into that good night

Mistfell Vale