A Little Goes A Long Way

Ares

POSTED: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:56 pm

OOC: The Orchard, at the Stables. Morning. Gamekeeper thread 2 of 2. WC: 481

IC: Sedona was busy going through every stall and cleaning it and and every horse that occupied it this morning. It was going to be a long process making sure each enclosure and each equine looked it's best. She'd been keeping an excess amount of bedding down on the floors of the stalls during the colder months to help keep warmth held in the barn, but now that Spring was bringing with it more warmth, she could lighten the loads and therefore keep a cleaner (less smelly) environment. She despised her wok areas and her animals' living conditions declining due to weather. She was glad she could make up for it now.

In the past week with the changing season, one of the horses, Arte, whom belonged to a packmate Sedona had still yet to meet, had broken out in a small rash on his neck from contact with some sort of allergen. He'd been rubbing his neck on the wooden side of his stall and gotten and splinter stuck in his neck that had become infected. Today, during her grooming of the beautiful brown and white stallion she'd discovered the wound and now she had the beast restrained by his halter and lead rope and was working on squeezing the pus out of the injury much to the displeasure of the horse. "Hold still bud, I promise you'll feel better when this is over." She hushed the squirming equine and soothed him stroking his cheek. Even without owning the animals, she worked with them every day so they all had a certain level of trust and tolerance for her. The cowgirl had a way with horses since she was little growing up on her cattle ranch too. It was like her destiny to work with horses.

Arte snorted as gave a small whinny, more like a whimper, as she pressed an alcohol soaked rag to the injury. "I'm sorry boy... It's gonna make it better though." She splayed her ears and rubbed the horse's head, checking the flow of blood the came trickling from the open wound. Grabbing another rag, clean this time, she pressed it to the blood to stop the flow. It wasn't a large injury and would heal up on its own as long as he no longer itched at it. Once the blood was staunched she would apply a simple herbal salve to help keep the itches down. As she held the rag to the stallion's neck, Sedona couldn't help but wonder if Arte's owner was even aware of the horse's situation. She frowned. A lot of the animals in the barn weren't interacted with nearly enough. She was glad that she could provide the interaction as much as she did. She rested her head on the beasts shoulder and in unison cowgirl and horse, sighed. The little moment made the woman smile in spite of herself.
Last edited by Sedona Whitesage on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

POSTED: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Guilt coursed through Ares on his trek to the stables, it had been the better part of a week - or several days at the very least - since he had made any sort of effort to go see to Arte sure it had been in part due to the fact that due to the appearance of some strange ailment upon the stallion's neck. For this reason he had figured it would have been for the best to leave the stallion witihn the stables to recover whatever ailment in which he had been suffering from rather than to cause it to grow worse. But despite whatever good intentions Ares may have had in regards to his equine companion it did next to nothing to dispel any of negative feelings in which the grey male felt for having done such a thing, because of that he had finally forced himself to head over to the stables in order to firstly check upon the speckled stallion. Naturally the second reason had been the intention to take the stallion out to stretch his legs provided said stallion were willing to forgive his canine companion and in turn be happy to spend time with him more so now that the winter were gradually giving way to spring.

So it had been with these more positive plans in mind that Ares strode towards the stables with more purpose and cheer than what he had originally starte dout with, but it would seem that even this were to fade upon his arrival and entrance to the stables where he had long since housed his companion on the occasions where it had not proven suitable to allow the horse to wander as he may have pleased or in turn remain near Ares chosen residence. The scent of blood that met his entrance and an all too familliar whinny coming through the air was all that it took to get Ares more worried, so much that he strode swiftly to the stall in which the stallion were housed within before slowing at the sight of the female within tending to the now more serious injury that had erupted forth upon the stallion's neck. This was more than enough to cause the guilt to return and ears splay backwards as silence as he observed the pair for a short time longer before daring to approach. "Oh Arte . . . . I'm so sorry buddy, I should have come to check on you sooner. Ares spoke softly and regretfully as he leant upon the stall door and extended a hand out to lightly stroke the horses muzzle only then did he finally shift his gaze towards the female.

"Thank you . . . . . is he going to be alright?" Came the grateful words before in turn making his query in regards to the treatment in which she had already seemed to begin upon the stallion.

Ares will usually be in his Optime form and will often be seen wearing a clear quartz arrowhead necklace unless otherwise stated.
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
-
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:57 pm

WC: 436

IC: Sedona felt for the stallion and his wound. Although not severe, she knew it was uncomfortable for the beast. The cowgirl had a soft place for all the pack's animals, from every last airheaded chicken to the most stubborn goat. But she had the biggest heart for the equines. She could never spend enough time with them, no matter the season. Now that Spring was here she hoped that more of the horses and their riders would be seen out and about in the packlands enjoying the greenery and new life.

As the Whitesage coydog began to mix up a poultice of aloe vera and a few other herbs to both prevent itching and protect the injury from flies, the horse and caregiver sudden found themselves with company. BY the way Arte began to pull away to look at the stranger entering the barn, Sedona could only assume this was his companion. "Come on now, nearly done." She said placing two fingers into the poultice and applying it thickly onto the patch of red, irritated skin on the horse's neck. As the grey male came closer and could see her attentions upon his horse his guilt became evident. "Oh Arte . . . . I'm so sorry buddy, I should have come to check on you sooner" He said and caressed the horse lovingly. Sedona looked on, while dabbing at the edges of the poultice to make sure it set correctly. She then lifted a wide strip of cloth she intended to use for a temporary wrap over the wound while it healed. "Thank you . . . . . is he going to be alright?" The rider asked and Sedona nodded with a small flick of her tail. "Aye, he'll recover fine. I dunno what caused the rash, but he got a chunk of wood from his stall lodged in there scratchin' at it. I removed it and I just gotta bandage it now. Care t'help?" She asked, raising a brow and smiling neutrally. When she was in work mode she was amiable enough, but when it came to injuries of her beasts, she could be a lot more serious than normal.

Unrolling the cloth bandage, Sedona gestured for him to distract the horse with pets and a carrot she had sitting just out of reach on the other side of the stall door. "Y'can give him that while I do this." She said, then paused. "Unless...you'd rather wrap it?" She offered, giving the male a chance to take an active role in his horse's treatment. "I can guide ya." She said with a nod.

POSTED: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 am

Ars did truly consider himself to be a considerably lucky individual indeed, for he had been quick to come to realise that due to the state in which Arte were in the grey male could very well have easily received stern words and feirce actions form the female that were tending to the speckled stallion - granted it were also so very true that such things could still very well occur for at least for the moment the female were otherwise distracted and focused upon the injury upon Arte to fully turn her attention towards him. A small thing in which Ares were glad for though he did ensure to mentally prepare himself for what may come when she were finished with her task and turned her full attention upon him, for now Ares were also glad that despite the injuries appearance the stallion was to recover well enough.

So naturally Ares were more than willing to have some way in which to redeem himself as much as were possible even if it were to do little to lessen the blow - either verbal or physical - that may come when all were done. Which was just what Ares intended to do, ears twitching faintly that were the only indication that he noted her words as his gaze wandered down to the carrot mentioned by her, bending to retrieve the treat before taking a step into the stall to distract Arte long enough to allow her time to complete what she were doing. "If Arte did not have a tendancy to pester me on a normal day then I sure would love to gain the chance to correct my mistakes. But maybe it would be best for you do do it, unless you would think it would do well for me to do so." Ares dared answer, ears flateening slightly as the male steadied himself as the pressure of the stallion leaning his large head against the male canine while crunching the carrot had caused him to take a small step back while talking to the female.

Ares will usually be in his Optime form and will often be seen wearing a clear quartz arrowhead necklace unless otherwise stated.
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
-
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm

WC: 372

Although displeased that the horse had ended up injured, she couldn't fully blame the incident on Ares. Sedona knew the eruption upon the stallion's neck was nothing of anyone's doing, it was just a freak accident. What she simply wished was that more of the horse owning members of the pack would come visit their mounts more often than just once or twice a week. And even those that didn't have anything to do with the livestock, in a perfect world, the Cowgirl would have playing an active role in the lives of the animals. If it was up to her Sedona would ensure every Valeman had basic knowledge of how to ride and care for a horse. BUt that was just echoes of the teachings she was raised with coming up in her heart. She knew it was unrealistic to hold everybody to the same expectations she held herself to.

As the white haired male held out the carrot for his mount, Sedona nodded at his words, flicking an ear in acknowledgement and worked quickly, wrapping the bandage swiftly and pressed firm against the wound, but not pulled tight so as to restrict the beast's muscled neck. When finished, she used her teeth to tear off the excess of the cloth and heard the audible sigh of gratitude from Arte as the ordeal came to a close. The large animal nuzzled insistently into his owner now, seeking another treat. Sedona chuckled and crossed the stall, gathering her belongings from the medical treatment and passed by the other Hawkesond and his horse to return the supplies to their proper place, securing the stall behind her. She returned moments later to check on them. "He should heal up fine. I'll change that bandage tomorrow evenin' and we should already see a marked improvement by then." She assured her packmate with a smile, leaning against the post of the stall. "By the way, I'm Sedona. I don't think I properly introduced myself. Obviously Arte's yer boy..." The cowgirl's tail wagged as she held out a paw and she looked on at the pair of seasoned males before her. It was quite a handsome sight. "You had him long, then?" She asked, curious as always.

POSTED: Wed May 01, 2019 4:31 am

Though Ares had always told himself he would make every effort in which to ensure he paid a visit to Arte at least every day or every other during the winter months to ensure that the speckled stallion were in good condition and general good health as well as where safe to taksing him out for some excercise the fact that he hadn't and this in turn had occured were all that had been needed to get the grey male deciding that maybe it were now more than ever time to change his ways rather than continue on the way he had for so long.

So distracted for the duration of the female tending to Arte's injured neck and generally making a fuss over the stallion alongside the sigh of relief erupting forth from Arte did Ares in turn take note that all were done and allow olive eyes to follow the female as she placed everything back where it had once belonged while remaining where he were standing. His own tail starting to wag a little at her words before in time taking a small step away from the stallion and extend his own paw to grasp her's and offer a genuine smile of gratitude. "I'm Ares, though thank you again Sedona - I doubt I would have done this even hlaf as good as you." Ares spoke gratefully and truthfully, pausing briefly between words as ears twitched slightly before nodding visibly to confirm that her assumption were indeed true. "A long time, couple of years at least he's been mine - before then he were a communal horse from the previous pack we lived in." He answered, slightly vaguely yes but true all the same.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
-
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 02, 2019 8:39 pm

OOC: We can wrap this up whenever. ^^ WC: 279

"Ares. A pleasure." The cowgirl's calloused firm grip shook Ares' paw happily. She was always glad to make the acquaintance of another pack mate. There always seemed to be some new face around that she'd missed. Or even an older one she'd just yet to interact with on a deeper level than just saying hello in passing. The only times when the true size of the pack was really apparent was during the pack meetings called by leadership. Only then could one really get a grasp on how big and how well the Vale was growing.

"A long time, couple of years at least he's been mine - before then he were a communal horse from the previous pack we lived in." With a nod of her head, Sedona chuckled and swished her tail in response to the male's response to her question. "Ah, so you had a home before the Vale then. Was it far from here?" She asked, curious about the male, but aware that sometimes people didn't like to talk about their pasts. The Whitesage woman was usually an open and friendly person, she didn't mind sharing a few details about her life to those who would listen. "I come from the far West. Came here with my horses there, Hopi, and Yavapai, her colt." She indicated the two Paint mustangs stalled nearby. At the sounds of their names, the two equine's heads lifted. Sedona smiled. "They're precious to me, just as all the animals here are." The coydog sighed happily. "I dunno what I'd do without the horses, honestly." She chuckled and her yellow-green eyes met his olive ones, seeking a similar passion gleaming back.

Dead Topics