And babies make four

For Zuri and small potato children

POSTED: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:46 pm

OOC ::
Mistfell Vale has seen a rather sizable increase in it's membership in recent months. Perhaps it would be a good idea to introduce yourself to one of the newer Mistwalkers, perhaps to help them settle in or to drop a gift around to them?

Words→ 316

Names were important to Falcon, and he tried to commit them to memory when he could. There was power in a name, in who spoke it and who remembered it, in the Old Wood—and once, that power had saved his life.

Falcon hadn’t even met some of the Vale’s pups, but he knew them all by name. Daniel and Caspar were Saga’s boys. Skadi, Sindri, and Steinarr were Ragna’s brood. And Zelda and Zansa, the newest litter to grace the Vale, belonged to Zuri and Baelish. Falcon wasn’t the best around children, but he was trying to be better. The first step had been simple; learn, and remember, their names.

The second step, the Elkenfrey decided, was paying them all a visit. He just had one problem—he didn’t know who to visit first. Saga was busier than ever, and it was easier to catch her in a free moment than show up unannounced. Ragna kind of terrified him, and Falcon wasn’t sure she’d appreciate his company anyway. Zuri and Baelish… Well, he didn’t have an excuse for them. They were busy parenting newborns, but they were otherwise available whenever he wanted to drop by.

Zuri and Baelish it was.

Falcon adjusted the fresh kill on his shoulder, the scent of rabbit meat filling his nose. He didn’t have much to give the new parents, but he had good food and good company. He had songs and stories, too, even though Zansa and Zelda were too young to appreciate them. One day, Falcon thought—one day.

The green-eyed hybrid padded up to Zuri’s front door and knocked three times, hoping he wasn’t disturbing the happy family. Falcon didn’t mind dropping off the food and leaving, but he wanted to get to know them better; that was the whole point of visiting.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
They stole my dirty socks... :( MV Top Poster!

POSTED: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 pm

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

So many had come over in the short span on time. It had been interesting to see Baelish's reactions to those who had come by to see the girls. She had been a bit worried when Saga brought her children over, just because of how young ones could be. Their girls were still very small.. and still very young. She wanted to make sure they would be alright, and the last thing she wanted for either one of them to get hurt... even if it would be on accident.

Even so, just being with her children helped to put her mind at ease. There wasn't too much she had to worry about aside from making sure that the pups remained healthy. They would be drinking off her for some time, so she was expected to be at home. Thank goodness for the devotion of her husband. She would have to find a way to make it up to him when the pups were older.

The pale woman could hear Zansa making noises from her little pen with her sister, which in turn was making Zelda start to make some noice. The bright golden girl was usually quiet, though could get a bit out of hand when he sister was making so much noise. It couldn't be helped that it sometimes caused a headache, but in the end, the mother was there for her children.

Rocking the gray pup in her arms, crimson gaze shifted over to the door, hearing the knocks coming from the outside. Someone else had come by, likely to see the newest pups to the Vale's list. A smile moved over her face, padding over to the door. It opened to reveal a man she had only briefly met once. It was Falcon. He had been the one to help her find the ghost's remains and burn them. Opening the doorway, she offered him a smile, "Please, come in. Nice to see you again Falcon. Excuse little Zansa here. She's been making a fuss."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Salena
Spotlight Soul Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 pm

OOC :: Words→ 216

The door opened to reveal Zuri, smiling despite her likely exhaustion. Falcon gave a playful half-bow, careful not to drop the rabbit on his shoulder, and smiled back. He stepped inside at her request, ears perking at Zuri’s words. Little Zansa… Here? Falcon glanced around the entryway for a moment, not quite understanding. Then, his blue-green gaze settled on Zuri’s arms. Oh.

It was odd, seeing a pup so small and defenseless. Falcon had seen Saga and Ragna’s broods toddling around, but this… This was different. A strange combination of awe, protectiveness, and anxiety swelled in his chest. She was so small. ”She’s, uh, excused,” Falcon said, still staring at Zansa’s tiny form.

Then, before the Elkenfrey could stop himself, he asked, ”Is she supposed to be that small?” As absurd as the question was, Falcon had never seen a newborn pup. If Zuri had presented her daughter as a blind, tailless squirrel, he’d be hard-pressed to argue with her. Zansa was just so… Just so small.

”Wait, no, I’m sorry,” Falcon said, realizing the implication of his question, ”I meant to ask ‘are all puppies this small,’ because I haven’t… I’ve never, uh... Seen a newborn before.”

Nice save, Falcon—really nailing it.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:50 pm

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

Zuri couldn't help but tilt her head a bit at the way Falcon was looking about the entrance way to her words. One would think that if she was talking about one of her pups, he would look to around her first before looking about the rest of her home. Then again, there was no need to speak up, as his gaze soon shifted on the tiny form in her arms. The little gray pup tossed about in her mother's arms, almost as if she could sense that there was someone else here besides her own family.

Confusion was soon replaced by surprise. It was no secret that there were other members of the Vale that had pups around the same time as one another, so why would he not know that pups after being born in such a short time would still be this small?

Then he corrected himself.

Wearing a wider smile upon her muzzle, her fingers graced over her daughter's form, "I've seen many newborns back home, and they are all usually about this size when they are first born, but it depends on the species." Her head turned to the corner near their hearth, a lining of pelts closed off in the corner, "Zelda is over there."

Crimson gaze moved to the animal he had over his shoulder, "Do you want to come to the kitchen Falcon? We can set that rabbit down there. It'll be a while before the pups will be able to eat meat, but we could make a meal. Baelish has been showing me some more cooking, though I'm quite fond of his stew." She paced over to the corner, moving the furs around a bit as she set Zansa along with her sister. The pup was quick to pile with her sibling, making a few noises as she was away from her mother's grasp.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Salena

POSTED: Fri May 10, 2019 2:59 pm

OOC :: Words→ 285

Zuri took his lack of experience—and general nervousness—in stride. She answered his question politely, explaining that most newborns were this small. That made sense, Falcon supposed.

He smiled appreciatively and followed Zuri’s gaze as she pointed out where Zelda was. The tiny puppy was out of sight, sheltered by a bed of furs in the corner. ”I bet she’s comfortable,” Falcon mused. He knew he’d be, if his entire bedroom was lined with furs.

The Hawkesond woman prompted him into the kitchen, and he obliged her. ”Sure—more for you then. I’m not the best cook, but my—but I know a thing or two,” Falcon said, correcting himself. He felt weird talking about his past in general, even with Cotton, and something as simple as mentioning his mother made his stomach flip uncomfortably; it shouldn’t have, but it did.

And it only made him more self-conscious around Zuri.

The Elkenfrey padded over to the kitchen and set the rabbit on the counter. His ears perked at the sound of the woman’s pups, the pair mewling softly upon being reunited. It made Falcon smile; he didn’t have much experience with pups, but their presence around the pack was beginning to grow on him.

”What does Baelish put in his stew?” the hybrid asked, turning back to Zuri, ”I know a recipe for one, but it’s been a while since I’ve made it.” Falcon wasn’t one to root around Mistfell Vale for wild carrots and asparagus, assuming he could even find any. Stew was a delicious, but time-consuming meal; he much preferred biting into a fresh rabbit and calling it a day.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Mon May 13, 2019 10:12 pm

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

Zuri followed Falcon's gaze as it moved over to the corner where Zelda resided. She and Baelish had done their best to make this space as comfortable as possible for the two newborns. It was the best way to keep them somewhere that would be safe in case they needed to step away; though, their mother could not be away too long with all the nursing her daughters were going to need. She offered a small smile to the man as she nodded, "I am sure she is."

The gray pup was happy to feel the warmth of her sister along the furs, but loved the attention she got from their mother. Being held close to her and away from the corner. The mother gave them both a small stroke along their tiny bodies before joining her guest.

The two pups uttered more noises with one another before falling silent. Seems Zansa gave up and took to resting with her sister.

The pale woman soon made her way into the kitchen, the smile on her face having grown from listening to her daughters converse with one another. It was nothing to the level that she and Falcon could do, but in their own way they were speaking with one another. Just the knowledge that both of them were alive gave her the greatest sense of happiness.

Zuri's eyes peered over to the rabbit, though back up to the male as he questioned what her husband put in his stew. She offered a soft shurg, "I can't really say for sure. I never really paid attention. I really should more. If you don't mind, I can gather some things to help you with making some stew. I can set some aside for Baelish when he comes home." A meal would be nice, and she was more than willing to offer her kitchen for use.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Salena

POSTED: Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 am

OOC :: Words→ 281

The pups squeaked and whined in their whelping box when Zuri left their side, but quieted quickly. Falcon folded his hands together in front of his face and hummed thoughtfully, smiling behind pale fingers. Despite how little the pups actually did, he imagined being a newborn was a lot of work. Everything was strange and new and confusing; he’d probably be exhausted by a short bout of crying, too.

The white-furred mother returned to Falcon’s side and admitted that she didn’t know what Baelish put in his stew. Nevertheless, she offered to collect ingredients for their stew, and he nodded his approval. ”I don’t mind at all. I’m sure Baelish will enjoy a nice, home-cooked meal—maybe we can trade recipes,” Falcon said. He enjoyed cooking cooking for others; it made him feel useful.

The thought of Zuri puttering around her kitchen gathering ingredients reminded Falcon of his own mother. She was always moving from one thing to another around their cabin’s hearth, cooking food for Snakeroot and the other, less culinarily-inclined residents of the Old Wood. Snakeroot wasn’t… Snakeroot wasn’t a good cook. And Falcon was never quite sure what meat she’d just shoved under his nose, cooked or otherwise.

He missed her.

”Does Baelish cook a lot?” Falcon asked, trying to get his mind off old memories, ”Or does he only cook when he teaches?” His father had been like that, only cooking when sharing exotic, half-remembered recipes. One of his trade partners, or Falcon himself, always had to salvage them—if the meal was salvageable at all.

So much for not thinking of old memories.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 pm

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

There was no doubt to say that being an infant was hard, but rewarding in a way. So much around them was so new aside from the scents of their parents. It had been the thing they had known since their birth. They always felt the most comfortable around Zuri or Baelish, but it seemed Zansa was getting used to the new faces that came into her home. They had new scents to her, but in the end, she always wound up back at her sister's side.

The pale woman's attention had shifted as the two of them were in the kitchen, focusing more on the stew that was going to be made. She had disappeared for a moment, grabbing the pot that her husband usually used for such a craft, hanging it over the fire pit. She had stepped outside to gather some of the wood that Baelish had chopped up, adding some kindling so it would be ready to be placed on the heat.

Her attention turned over to the male with a smile, "I'm sure he'd like that. Perhaps when he gets back home, I can mention that you wanted to talk stews with him."

Taking a seat close to the pot, she spread out her lace, letting it flow evenly at her sides. Her crimson gaze watched the man, only hand moving up to point him in the direction of all their tools for cooking. Zuri couldn't help but tilt her head to his question. Only when he was teaching? The male had been teaching her some, but that was not the only reasoning for him cooking. She gave a gentle shake of her head, "He cooks often, though not just for cooking. He really only teaches me, and it's not every single time."

Emitting a soft sigh, her gaze lightened, wanting to bring their focus back on getting this prepared, "Let me know if there is anything I can help you with."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Salena

POSTED: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:24 pm

OOC :: Words→ 330

Zuri picked up a large pot and hung it over the fire pit before disappearing outside. She returned with a few more logs of firewood, resuming their conversation like she had never left. ”I’d appreciate that,” Falcon said, returning the pale woman’s smile. He wished the rusted, old cooking tools in his house were still usable; he had no intention of flavoring his dinner with corroded metal, but it left him unable to experiment with food like he had growing up.

The oddness of the question only became apparent to Falcon after he’d asked it, but beyond a curious tilt of her head, Zuri didn’t seem to mind. ”It’s a bit of a silly question, now that I think about it,” he admitted, following her pointed hand to the cooking tools, ”I… I used to live in Portland with my father, and he was a bit odd about cooking.” Falcon felt like a vague explanation was better than none, even though he still wasn’t used to talking about his family.

The Elkenfrey gathered a large cooking spoon and a knife—what else did a luperci need, with the pot already hanging over the fire pit—and turned back to his host. ”Thank you, Zuri. What ingredients do you have in the house? I can get a good rabbit broth started, and you and Baelish can finish it when he gets home—unless you have some stashed away somewhere.” The biggest downside of stew was how long it took to make; boiling a carcass into broth took hours, and it was difficult to store properly for future meals.

The small cellar next to their cabin had been filled to the brim with preserved food, but his mother only stored broth in it for a few days at a time. There was something... Decidedly unappetizing about the cloudy, old stock they forgot to use, even before they cracked open the jars to clean and reuse them.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

(+300)

We can probably start wrapping up this thread if you want.

Zuri had grown used to helping out when it came to this sort of thing, often helping out Baelish when it came time for him to make the meals. Lately, she had not been able to assist him due to her duty to her children. They still needed to be nursed so many times in the day, and she could not ignore their calls when it came to this time of the day. She was thankful for their quiet nature while Falcon was over.

Returning back to a question he had asked her before, he added on, claiming his father had been an odd one when it came to cooking. Well, given what she had witnessed in Mortimer, it couldn't have been any worse than that. Guess parents were just equipped with their own quirks, and left the children learning to adjust to them.

Either adjust or tolerate until need to do something about it arose.

When asked about the ingredients she had around the house, there was a pause. She wasn't sure what her husband had laying atound here. Luckily for her, he had come up with a different solution. Rather than making the whole stew now, he could make the base broth of it, leaving that for the mated pair to add onto once her husband came home. That seemed the better option. It would be more like a collaborated effort then. She gave a nod to this idea, "I'm not sure what we have, but I like the sound of that. We could bring some over to your home later when it's done."

He should be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor as well.

Pulling up one of the chairs from the nearby table, she watched the man at work, "Anything you need me to do to help get the broth going?" Better for her to help than to sit and observe.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Salena

Mistfell Vale