A Ranching Experience to Remember

Sedona

POSTED: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:53 pm

(Dated forwards to tomorrow, the 18th)

Sineria woke up and yawned and stretched out in his lupus form like he did any other morning in Sedona’s house. Sedona wasn’t present next to him in bed, which wasn’t entirely uncommon from what he knew about her. Sineria at least knew that Sedona was a country girl, but he didn’t entirely know what being that would mean necessarily. He knew that whenever Sedona wasn’t with him in the morning then she was out at the stables doing what she usually did with horses. She always seemed to be active with what she did too, or at least more active than Sineria was with his own interests. She even went out of her way and surprised him with that dragon statue not too long ago, so he wanted to help out more.

So Sineria made his way out towards the stables and brought only himself, not really sure what he was getting himself into. When he arrived he saw his loving mate, and she seemed to be doing her daily duties in the stables with the horses there. He paused and studied what she was doing for a moment before he smiled and walked up to her. Sineria felt awkward about meeting her in such an unorthodox fashion, but then again this wasn’t the only time the two met like this. He waited until she glanced over towards him then he happily waved towards her and said,"H-Hello Sedona..." This wasn’t the first time he visited her at the stables, but this time Sineria would make it a but more interesting.

Word count: 272
No matter what the situation is....
YOU WILL GET CRABS!

P.S. Avatar by Westy

Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Sedona

POSTED: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:50 pm

WC: 437 +10, use Co-rank in thread

Sedona was busy throwing herself headfirst into her usual morning duties in the stables, feeding the horses and various livestock. It was a routine she was familiar with and took pride in. She loved each and every one of the pack's animals. It was easy to build a bond with each chicken, goat, pig and especially the horses when you cared for their every need on a daily basis. The cowgirl was one of the only regulars to do so. It took a lot of physical work, as did her continued projects of repairing the Winterwynd houses as the pack's Constructor. It left her usually tired and sore by the end of the day, but always she remained committed to rise early and do it all again the next day. Sometimes it was hard for her to let loose and she forgot to relax and have some fun, but thanks to her mate, Sineria, she was encouraged to have breaks and go out on adventures out on her own, or, as she often did these days, seek out new experiences to share with him. She loved the shy wolf so very much and wanted to show him the world.

She particularly wanted to show him her world. And today, that wish was to come true. As she was fourking some hay into the stall of her own horse, Hopi, suddenly a familiar scent over the heady smell of hay and earth and horse, made the Whitesage woman's head lift up and yellow-green eyes find their way to the barn doorway. A great grin split her maw and her tail set to wagging as she spotted the figure of her mate approaching down the middle aisle. "H-Hello Sedona..." Sedona set aside the pitchfork, patting Hopi's neck before, walking swiftly to meet him halfway and instantly hugging him. "Sineria! Ya made it! I'm so glad ya came..." She nuzzled at his chest and gave a soft affectionate nibble against his shoulder. She had spoken to him about him coming to help her one day with the horses aa day or two ago it was just a matter of him deciding when to join her early one morning. She was always up before him and she knew he'd sleep in a bit longer. She was just glad he'd made it before she'd completely finished feeding the animals. Stepping back from her mate's embrace, Sedona smiled up at him. "Ya ready t'be put to work?" She winked and nudged him. She knew he'd have his anxieties but she hoped with her instruction he'd soon find himself comfortable around the pack's livestock.

POSTED: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm

"Th-thanks for s-sticking around t-to show me this," Sineria muttered with a small smile himself as he looked into the eyes of his mate. He wrapped his arms around her waist and nuzzled her cheek happily with a wagging tail. His nerves calmed down at this moment, and it was enough for him to hold the embrace a bit longer than usual. He then glanced up at the horses and his eyes widened once he realized he’d be caring for such a large creature, and he felt himself shrink a bit in the presence of them. This was when he gulped and leaned back from the embrace and smiled once more, albeit quite nervously.

"I-I um... y-yes...?" Sineria muttered in response to Sedona's question, and he awkwardly scratched the back of his head. He could already feel his cheeks as they grow warm even though the two were mates and shared a home. He looked around the stables and felt his uncertainty kick in with the scenery around him. He knew of Sedona's life as a rancher, but he admittedly had no idea what to expect when he agreed to do this for her. The smell would definitely be something he’d have to get used to for sure, but that would probably be nothing in comparison to the work. In all honesty he noticed that Sedona would come home late and sore on most days, and in response just wanted to relieve some of that himself. Still when Sineria saw that smile on Sedona's face he felt his heart melt, and sometimes he often found himself agreeing with Sedona a bit more than he should when this happened to him.

"I-I kind of f-feel bad th-that y-you have t-to work so hard. I-It’s just... you do s-so much and compared to m-me it’s k-kind of..." He whimpered as a wave of guilt hit him all of a sudden,"...d-disheartening... you know?"

Word count: 351
YOU WILL GET CRABS!

P.S. Avatar by Westy

Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Sedona

POSTED: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:20 pm

OOC: Poor Sineria! :< WC: 544

IC: "I-I um... y-yes...?" Sineria's response to her question was less than enthusiastic which got the cowgirl's attention immediately. Sedona's joy upon her mate joining her soon faded as she noticed the distress in Sineria's body language and soon the reflection of it in his bi-colored eyes. For a moment, her vivid yellow-green gaze, stayed trained on his, concern and underlying adoration bright within them. "I-I kind of f-feel bad th-that y-you have t-to work so hard. I-It’s just... you do s-so much and compared to m-me it’s k-kind of...d-disheartening... you know?" She stepped back from their embrace and tipped her head ever so slightly to the side listening to him and feeling her heart sink with his every word. She was making him feel inadequate with all the duties she performed within the pack. And he had so little to contribute. She knew he was at home a lot, and didn't often make many excursions out on his own. Not without her anyway. He stuck around the familiar, populated pack areas. His social life was minimal, and she knew though he was getting better about trying new things, his anxiety was still getting the better of him.

To the Whitesage woman, this meant she'd need to spend even more one on one time with her mate. Show him her dedication to him, not just her work. Even though today, she couldn't just up and abandon her chores, and she still hoped he'd join her in her duties, she right there and then made a vow to take some time off soon, just for the two of them. Ears folding and a soft whine escaping her maw, she licked the side of his muzzle soothingly. "Oh, hon. Why haven't you said anythin' before now?" She placed a gentle paw upon his shoulder and met his eyes again. "Sineria... I promise you, we're gonna spend some more quality time together and as a team, as mates, we're gonna help you find your way." She smiled with that unstoppable determined gleam in her eyes. She wagged her tail. "What'dya say, partner?" She chuffed, trying to boost his spirits. "There's nothing to feel down about, love. You've got a lot of strengths and potential, and I'm gonna help you find something that'll help fullfill yer feelin' of needin' to contribute more."

Nudging him lovingly, she then turned around and grabbed a pitchfork, smirking a little. "Now, you said you were ready to work? Well here's your first task." She held out the pitchfork to him. "I need ya to go into that empty stall there and add a bunch of hay to the floor. The pile of it is just outside the barn to your right, near the storage shed." She instructed, pointing him in the correct direction. "Think you can do that for me?" She grinned. "I'm gonna finish feedin' everybody." She wasn't going to throw him immediately in with the horses or other livestock just yet. She needed to judge his ability to follow her instructions and give him a crash course in how to approach and handle the various animals first. But for now, the simple task of preparing the stall for the pack's latest equine newcomer was a good place for him to start.

POSTED: Wed May 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Sedona’s words were so confident, and the way she looked him in the eyes made Sineria feel motivated even. Sineria watched as her tail wagged, and he felt inspired by her once again. So Sineria nodded to her and said,"O-Okay, I’ll try my best!" He took the pitchfork from Sedona and walked outside, but paused as he exited and smiled at her to reassure he was at least semi-comfortable with his task. Everyday Sineria's mate still seemed to surprise him with everything she did, and at this point he looked up to her and he wanted to be more like her.

Once Sineria was outside it didn’t take him long to spot the pile of hay, but the real issue in his mind would probably be using the pitchfork effectively. He knew at least a little bit about some of the farming tools through Sedona, but he didn’t actually know how any of them were used. Still, Sedona wouldn’t entrust him with a task that she knew he couldn’t handle, right? Perhaps this was a test for Sineria, or maybe he was just overthinking it like he tended to do from time to time.

He stared at the pile and at his pitchfork for a moment before he took a deep breath and sighed,"I hope I’m doing this right." He brought his arms back and thrusted the pointed forked end of the pitchfork into the pile. His eyes were closed the entire time, because he was simply afraid that he would screw up in front of Sedona. But this whole thing was for Sedona, and if he wanted to better himself then he needed to learn from his accidents. Slowly, Sineria opened his eyes and his ears perked up when he saw the tip of the pitchfork buried inside the pile, and he lifted that end up and saw a small clump of hay lift with it.

"Oh...” Sineria thought to himself and blinked then slowly turned around with the clump as bits of straw fell off. Sineria wasn’t too concerned with that little problem as the stables usually had tiny bits of straw that were scattered around the place. So he just carefully carried the clump back into the stables, and hoped that he was doing this right.

Word count: 398
YOU WILL GET CRABS!

P.S. Avatar by Westy

Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Sedona

POSTED: Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm

WC: 304

As her mate proceeding out of the barn, the Whitesage woman proceeded to finished feeding the rest of the livestock and checking them over with cursory glances for any signs of lameness or sickness. Seeing that everyone was healthy and happy seeming, the cowgirl went about releasing and herding the pack's chickens, sheep goats out into their outdoor enclosures, being certain to avoid invoking the wrath of the ornery male hoofbeasts. Once finished, Sedona returned inside and made her way down the row of stalls to check on Sineria.

The cowgirl knew that Sineria would be able to figure out the rusty pitchfork quickly. It was rather self explanatory, and his curiosity about human artifacts would surely kick in and help aid him in figure out the tool. She was very pleased when she saw him come back into the stables hauling a decent size wad of hay on the end of the instrument and headed into the open stall she'd indicated. "There ya go hon!" She smiled, tail wagging as she leaned against the large water barrel near the entry way. "I knew you could figure it out." She encouraged him with a happy chuffing sound. When you're finished covering that stall, come 'round to the back. I got someone for you to meet." She told him with a wink.

He had met her mare, Hopi before and although wary of the large animal, he'd done well around her. It helped that she was docile and friendly, not easily spooked. Today she was going to introduce him to Hopi's offspring, Yavapai. The colt was nearly full grown and was ready to start working harder in his training. And although Yavapai was gifted to the Vale as communal, she hoped that her mate could assist her in getting the young horse up to snuff.

POSTED: Thu May 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Sineria nodded to his mate, but paused and thought,"Meet someone? Huh, wonder who it is." He gradually covered the floor of the stall with a nice layer of straw and made his way out back on his own accord. Before this though he remembered Hopi, the large mare whom he was familiar with, and he gulped as he thought back to his first interaction with her. Sineria was so startled that he slipped and fell onto his back, thankfully he was at least on some softer dirt when he did. He was mindful around the other animals, both of them and himself and didn't physically interact with many of them.

Sineria heard the animals, and his ears perked up slightly at the sounds of sheep, goats, and chickens as they scurried around outside. While he hadn't had many hands-on experience with many of the animals thus far, Sineria was used to seeing the animals out and about the stables now. Well, at least he was better than before when he found even a single chicken intimidating. Sineria was perfectly fine with them now, although his cowardly side still found large groups of animals somewhat fearful, he liked to think that he was growing used to his life with Sedona.

Sineria made his way out and around back to meet with his mate, and as he approached Sedona he called out to her. "Finished!" Sineria barked and jogged towards his mate, and he slowed his pace to a casual walk once he was few feet away from her. He barely even noticed the lack of a stutter in his voice, which was a feat commendable especially for him even if it was just for a single word. Sineria's habit seemed to suppress itself whenever he raised his voice, or at least it did for small phrases whenever he called out to her. "S-So uh... w-who are we m-meeting d-dear?" Sineria asked and the nervousness settled in almost immediately as his cheeks turned warm, and Sineria pressed his fingers together nervously.

Word count: 354
YOU WILL GET CRABS!

P.S. Avatar by Westy

Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Sedona

POSTED: Sun May 12, 2019 8:09 pm

WC: 419

The cowgirl waited patiently for her mate to finish his assigned task. While Sineria worked with the hay, Sedona was busy retrieving Yavapai from his stall and bringing him around the back of the barn and securely tying him by the halter rope to a hitching post. She returned into the stables to grab up a few grooming supplies in a bucket and then back to the young horse who was content to nibble at some stray grasses near his feet. She spoke softly to the stallion, stroking his broad neck and nuzzling her forehead into his shoulder. The equine responded with a happy sigh and cocked his hind foot lazily, leaning into the Whitesage woman.

Sedona chuckled and shoved gently back against the large beast. The young stallion merely snorted and stood right again, swatting his tail at a few flies. It was just then that Sineria came from the inside of the barn at an easy jog. "Finished!" He called confidently, and slowly approached. Sedona beamed at him, turning to stand before Yavapai holding him by the halter just in case he decided to misbehave at the sight of a stranger. "Excellent!" Sedona praised him, noting the lack of a stutter for the moment and then the change in demeanor of her beloved at the sight of the unfamiliar animal behind her. "S-So uh... w-who are we m-meeting d-dear?"

The cowgirl wagged her tail and beckoned her mate closer. "Don't be shy now, love. This here is Yavapai. Hopi's offspring." She introduced the young male equine to him. "Remember to keep yer palm flat, like I taught ya with Hopi." She reminded him how to allow the horse to smell and lip at his open palm and avoid accidentally being nibbled. Yavapai stood tall and curious, ears perked and he sniffed, neck outstretched towards Sineria. "He's still young, and in trainin' but... I'd like for you two to get better acquainted." She explained with a hopeful smile. "I'd like for you to become my stablehand, baby. If you're up for it? And Pai would be a great first horse for ya to practice and grow with while you learn yer way around the barn and the rest of the animals over time." She grinned encouragingly and tipped her hatted head, wondering how he'd take her idea. They'd talked about it in passing, but now she'd made the real time offer. It was up to him to accept or not. Was he ready to take on more responsibility?

POSTED: Tue May 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Sineria's ears flattened and he gulped when he saw the young stallion before his eyes. Normally he would freeze up, however Sedona had showed him what to do before with Hopi. So he reached up to the horse and stopped about half a foot away from Yavapai's muzzle and closed his eyes to prepare for the worst. Then Sineria heard felt Yavapai press his nose up against the palm of his hand, and the stallion sniffed at it and nudged it a bit. Sineria opened his eyes and watched all of this happen, and in a small leap of faith Sineria gently brought that hand up to Yavapai's cheek and gently pet it. "H-Hey b-boy..." Sineria whispered to Yavapai and a small smile appeared on his face.

That's when Sineria heard Sedona's question, and he turned towards her with perked up ears. [i]"A....stablehand? Does she... really trust me around..."[/i Sineria thought to himself then realized the animal his hand was on right now and stopped himself from second-guessing himself and smiled at Sedona. "Sedona, I-I..." Sineria paused and his tail started to wag with excitement.

"I-I don't know what t-to say... j-just... ah, screw it!" Sineria barked then he wrapped his arms around his mate happily and as he held her close he nuzzled her cheek and said,"Of c-course, it's th-the least I could do, r-right?" Sineria didn't know a whole lot about taking care of livestock, but Sedona already showed him how to at least work around Hopi, and he just prepared a clean stall. So he felt confident in his decision, at least since he lived under the roof of his own mentor.

Word Count: 305
(OOC: I just imagine the scene when Hiccup from HTTYD first touches Toothless's snout in the first paragraph XD)
YOU WILL GET CRABS!

P.S. Avatar by Westy

Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Sedona

POSTED: Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm

OOC: LOL! I can totally see it too! XD WC: 360

IC: Sedona watched with bated breath as Yavapai curiously sniffed and snuffled at Sineria's palm. In the past the young equine had shown some signs of aggression and over caution around men, but it seemed she had successfully worked him through that phase as the Paint stallion now eagerly leaned into the gentle affections given to him by the larger white male. The cowgirl couldn't be more pleased. Their introduction was smooth and went without any issues. Pai snorted softly and resumed his idle grazing at his feet after a moment passed and the Whitesage woman was able to bring her attention back to just her mate and the question she'd proposed to him.

At first he seemed a little unsure, but quicker than she could even reassure him that she knew he'd do well, he made up his mind. " --ah, screw it!" He suddenly grabbed her up in a great big hug causing her to laugh and squirm happily in his arms, returning the affection with a wagging tail and a lick to his cheek. "Of c-course, it's th-the least I could do, r-right?" Sin said and Sedona nuzzled him. "It's a great start." She chuffed playfully in his ear before stepping back. "I'm really glad Pai has taken a liking to ya. You two are gonna be doin' a lot of workin' together from now on." She told him, turning and holding up the bucket of grooming supplies. "Do you remember how I had you groom Hopi with me that one time?" She asked him, tipping her head and holding up a brush in her one paw. She'd had him assist her in brushing down Hopi after a long ride once. The process before a ride was the same. This time it'd just be him grooming his own horse and her supervising. "I want you to groom Yavapai. I'll do his hooves, don't worry, but you can do his coat, mane and tail." She instructed, handing over the bucket and moving around the other side of the stallion to take his halter, patting his rear gently as she crossed behind him so as not to spook him.

Dead Topics