Til all you see is my ghost

For Ragna

POSTED: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:58 am

(+300)

Let me know if there is anything you want me to change.

There was an endless amount of join being around her children, especially when Baelish was around with her. The pups were still young and developing to be sure, but they knew of their parents, and were always willing to romping whenever they were near. They were just about three weeks old now. Their walking was getting better, and it was clear they were getting better about being on their feet. Zuri had noticed them moving towards the boundaries of the area the parents had set up for them, though it was more Zansa than her sister doing this.

No doubt it wouldn't be too much longer before the two of them would be running about the house. For now though, best to keep them to an area where they wouldn't be able to wander away. Perhaps extend the reaches of their space, but not open it just yet.

It was later in the day when the pale woman had taken to the borders. She had been stepping out of her home much more as of recent, but there had to be some give and take. Baelish wouldn't want to be stuck inside day in and day out making sure that the pups were taken care of while she was out taking care of her own things. They had come to a compromise in regards to this. Being their mother, it was still on her instinct to be there with her children, to raise them, and make sure they were protected. So long as she could get a break and do as her husband did, they would switch.

Crimson eyes fell along the borders, only to then off to the side outside those lines. There was never much telling what could be lurking beyond those lines, and it would do the Vale well to make sure things were checked.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish MV Top Poster!

POSTED: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:43 am

Optime | Mistfell Vale borders (+357)

Ragna attempts at being “friendly” xD Also! Hope it was okay for Ragna to know Zuri’s name and about her and Baelish’s litter. Figured with how long Zuri’s been in and the time since the litter was born, these might be pretty much “known” facts by now. If not, lemme know and I’ll change!

She had considered bringing her stallion, Brimstone, along for the patrol. With him, she felt more at ease at being able to return back home in a hurry if need be. It was a feeling she wished to break, however. She had been independent once, able to come and go as she pleased. Instinct kept her captive though, had rewired her brain to think of her offspring first, and to constantly shove their faces into her thoughts. She loved them—as much as she could love anything these days—but the need to separate herself was nearly suffocating.

Ragna needed to grow independent of them, just as they needed to of her. After all, who knew what fate had instore? They needed to survive, and that meant having the ability to move on.

The scout had set out largely bare, carrying only her weaponry on her person. Her cloak was still drying out from the last outing she’d taken when it had had a downpour, and her usual clothing still fit too tightly across her chest. Ragna’s knives were strapped to her thighs, her quiver was attached to her hip, and her bow was looped over an arm. It didn’t take her long to reach the borders, and she began her lonely patrol.

She hadn’t gone far before her sharp eyes caught a streak of white moving amongst the slowly-shadowing world beyond the Vale’s claim. There were many white-furred individuals within the pack. Though, there were few that had such long, wavy tresses. It was the albino Hawkesond that had been proving herself steadily ever since she had come to the pack. “Zuri,” Ragna greeted neutrally as she closed the distance. “Taking a break?” The woman also happened to be one of three new mothers within the Vale.

Glacier eyes shifted to the area around them and she took short, quick sniffs at the air in search of anything peculiar. “Have you found anything out here?” If so, they could move straight to dealing with it rather than Ragna merely sniffing and searching over everything that Zuri had already checked.

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Songbird
Luperci Scout II
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 pm

(+300)

Sounds good to me.

It was no secret that the word was getting around that there were actually three mothers in the Vale total. Sedona was not one of them, though she had confided in the pale woman that she was thinking about starting a family with her new mate. Children would bring a new life to their lives, but also a lot of work. Newborns were very demanding, and she was learning that first hand when it came to Zansa and Zelda. There was no harm in taking a few breaks now that milking was not a huge demand from the little ones.

It would still be a while before they were eating anything solid, but the relief of just having her husband to watch over them while she got some fresh air was great.

Ragna was the last of the three of them, another one that was left raising children all on her own. It was a disgusting thing to think of, having children with a male who either wanted nothing to do with them, or there were other circumstances that would be keeping them away from their new family. That was part of the whole 'thinking things through part.' Granted, she and Baelish hadn't done thing, but at least they were of the same kingdom and still had one another in their lives.

The pale woman's head turned over her shoulder, seeing none other than the very woman that came to mention in her thoughts. Seemed the two of them had a similar idea, as her children were not with her. Perhaps she was leaving them with Posey like Saga was doing. Giving a small nod, she addressed the other woman, "Yes, just a small one. I'm expected back home soon."

Feet carried her down the path, a shaked head greeting the scout, "I've found nothing yet, though I've really only just started. Would you care to join me? If there is any danger, having two able bodies would be better than one."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena

POSTED: Tue May 21, 2019 4:59 pm

(+349)

Sorry for the huge delay. I haven’t had the muse for Teagan or Ragna this month @___@

Reminder for me, this is a Scout III thread, and introduction to the topic about bats.

She offered a shallow nod, guessing that the reasoning probably had something to do with Zuri’s own children. Of the mothers in the pack, the albino woman had been the only one to have a mate within the pack among them. Fortunate as she was to have the father of her offspring with them, there were still things that the male could not provide. Being that the individual was Baelish too, the Eklund wasn’t sure how much help he’d be given their last true encounter with one another.

Zuri continued walking, revealing that she hadn’t been in the area long to have found anything suspicious just yet. To her offer, Ragna found that she couldn’t argue with the Hawkesond’s logic. “Agreed. I’ll join you.” Glade would have been so proud of her, willingly interacting with one of their packmates without him being there to translate Ragna’s coldness into a friendly warmth.

The scout traveled somewhat beside Zuri, her eyes and ears were directed out towards the neutral lands, searching for someone that might have bene up to no good, lurking too close, or any other signs, sights, or sounds of interest. The Vale was a peaceful place, too peaceful and neutral in Ragna’s opinion. If anyone of nefarious nature were to turn their gaze upon them, the ex-soldier feared that it might not bode well for the pack.

Glacier eyes shifted about and her nose and ears twitched as she surveyed the landscape around them. At one point, she stopped and knelt to examine a spot of interest; a place where flora had been pushed aside by someone or something that had sat idle for a small while. It was too large for a fox, and Ragna bent to take a few more inquisitive sniffs. “Do you normally patrol the borders?” She asked as she worked.

The scent was older, and had hints of deer, likely a fawn and its mother. It was about that time of the year, after all. Ragna stood her full height again, moving along.

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Songbird
Luperci Scout II
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Thu May 23, 2019 10:18 am

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

Though knowing the names of those in her pack as well as what was going on with them was key to pack life, there were still many in the Vale that Zuri didn't know on a more personal level. Ragna had been one of those members. There had not been a time where she had been able to invite the silent woman over or see to start up a conversation. It had been easier with Saga given both her position as well as becoming a new member of her extended family.

Now would be a good chance to learn more about this other single mother. Was her situation perhaps similar to that of the black and white woman?

The pale woman was pleased to see the Wolverthorne woman agreeing to join her for the remainder of the patrol. How interesting that both times she had been granted the chance to learn something new, it was during a time along the borders, be it scouting or otherwise. Ragna's attention seemed more focused on the task than much of anything else. Guess there was a reason why she and Saga had been part of the same house.

The darker woman had paused at one point, lowering herself closer down to the ground, and questioning if she normally patroled around the borders, "Not normally no. I'm more used to being out to handle trades and make deals. I have been wanting to move along the borders more so here for a couple of reasons."

She paused for a moment before she added on, "I figure the better I understand our borders, the better I can adjust my bats to our territory and have them scouting for us." There was no real reason to add on her concerns about being followed from home. No need to cause distrust in her with the other members.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena

POSTED: Sun May 26, 2019 4:17 pm

(+308)

Her ears twitched with interest as the ivory woman mentioned her skills and interests lying more in trade. “Is that so? I’m sure you and Baelish make quite a team then on trading runs,” she commented. It was no secret the work that he and Saga had done to increase the livestock population within the Vale to what it was. Without their work, the pack would have likely not had any communal horses at all before the mysterious disbandment of Krokar had happened. They wouldn’t have had any pigs, nor any chickens in the pack’s early days. The goose, Ragna felt, the pack could have lived without. If the couple worked together, who knew what sort of items or animals they could have brought back to increase the Vale’s wealth and sustainment.

More curious, though, was Ragna about the mention of the tiny, flying mammals. “Bats?” It was obvious from her tone that she had never considered such creatures to be something that a Luperci could work with. “How did you manage that?” She asked, genuinely interested in how the albino had mastered such a feat. Hawks, eagles, falcons, birds of prey, she could understand. They could learn High Speech, and some said their work with the wolf carried long before the virus broke out across the land and before the humans were wiped out.

Ragna continued to search the area as they moved onward. There was a crack in the distance, and the wolfdog briefly stilled, eyes searching the terrain. A few moments later, a deer bounded out of a thicket with its tail flagged high in alarm, perhaps realizing it had caught the predator’s gaze. Once again, the scout turned and moved on. With any luck, the two new mothers wouldn’t run into any trouble on this patrol of theirs.

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Songbird
Luperci Scout II
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Mon May 27, 2019 9:15 pm

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

Truth be told, the pale woman had yet to even go out on such an expedition with her husband. Such a thing probably would have been nice to do before she had gone into heat. There was no stopping the man once he had caught a whiff of her intoxicating scent. It was almost as if he had changed into someone else entirely.

There was a small pause before she gave a small nod to the darker woman, "No doubt we would. I'd have to find someone to watch the girls if we are to both go out together. Think it's for the best that one of us stays home until they are a bit older."

It was not too shocking to hear the surprise in Ragna's voice when it came to her use of bats to scout as opposed to something like birds. Birds had their uses to be sure, and it made things much easier that communication could be done with high speech, but they too slept during the night. What better way to make use of something than to have that protection at a time when they would be the most vulnerable?

The pale woman gave a smile as they continued to walk, "My mother taught me how to understand their low speech and how to communicate with them. Having bats was common practice where I am from, just as birds would be for other places. Just thought it would not hurt to have some extra defense around our territory, since they are already used to the task."

Crimson gaze moved up to spot the deer that bounded ahead of them, before continuing on. Still nothing out of the ordinary. That was good in this case. Nothing to bother them. She paused for a moment, though kept her gaze forward, "Do you come patroling often Ragna? Seen anything?"

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena

POSTED: Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 am

(+502)

Ragna could find no fault with Zuri’s thought process regarding what to do with the pups. Fortunately for the three mothers, they had all had their children around the same time, so, they had plenty of potential playmates, and, word had it that the elderly Posey was rather good with children, if Linden’s two boys—and, now, Saga’s two—were anything to attest to. Being that Baelish was Saga’s brother, Ragna didn’t consider verbally bringing up the old Elkenfrey though. Likely, they already had the woman in mind once the girls were of proper age to begin being independent of them.

From her smile, Ragna surmised that Zuri was asked the question a lot when her bats were brought up. It was interesting to hear, how, wherever the albino was from, of all creatures, bats had struck their fancy to learn more about and figure out how to work with. Though, considering it all, it was a rather intelligent pursuit. Bats were nocturnal creatures, and most Luperci paid them little mind for the most part due to them being what they were. Ragna herself often didn’t consider them at all unless she actually saw or heard one or one flew at her.

“It would definitely be to the Vale’s benefit. No one would suspect them as part of our warning system,” Ragna complimented Zuri’s consideration in how to use her flying companions. “How do you get them to work with you?” She knew that falconers often used meat as a reward. From what little she knew of bats, they ate bugs, and insects were not exactly easy to catch, nor were they available in the colder months of the year. Perhaps Zuri persuaded their cooperation in another way.

“And how long can they work?” She asked too after a beat, her interest in the flying creatures growing. From a scouting standpoint, it would be to their advantage. Darkness made it easier for things to slip by unnoticed, and the intelligent would take advantage of such. If Zuri and her bats could cover that weakness, the Vale would be a little safer.

Their patrol continued, and the Hawkesond turned the questioning onto Ragna. “I do. I used to do this work all the time before I came here,” she confirmed. With her eyes caste out into the neutral lands, she offered a nonchalant shrug. “Lately? I found a coyote a few days ago that apparently thought he’d be able to steal some of our sheep. He may or may not come back.” She doubted it, not unless he was stupid. The arrow to his thigh should have been warning enough to not trespass into Vale territory a second time.

Nothing looked, sounded, or smelt suspicious, and onward they went. “Beyond that, you get a few brave or stupid ones, but, there’s a lot less now than there were when the Vale first came here.” She had chased off many in those early days.

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Songbird
Luperci Scout II
Do not go gentle
into that good night

POSTED: Thu May 30, 2019 11:33 am

(+400)

OOC text goes here.

Despite two of the three mothers not having any males to assist them with the raising of their children, both of them seemed to have been doing very well for themselves. Her's had been the youngest of those that were born here, but once they had reached the proper age of when they could come out with here, they would no doubt have a number of those the girls could hang out with. She was a bit worried about her golden girl. She seemed quieter, rather staying close to her sister or mother.

She hoped that she would not shy too much away from the idea of making friends in her youth with her cousins or with Ragna's children.

Working with bats was harder than working with a bird, or rather a bird of prey. It was easier for them to get treats to help with the training. The pale woman had to figure out other methods for getting them to work with her. Considering how to phrase her words, she turned her attention back to the darker woman, "I think it's more a matter of gaining their trust first in that regard. Once you have their trust, they'll either come back or fly away. Those that stay behind can be trained."

"Injured bats can be healed, and since my mother taught me how to mimic some of their low speech, I've been using that to my advantage."

There was the one problem with this plan, the time of when the bats could be used for their scouting. Their species were ones that hibernated. She gave a small shrug, "They can scout for most of the night, but the species that I have will be hibernating from the late fall to early spring. We'd need another form of defense for that time period."

Their conversation had now shifted to focus on the woman and her patrols. How annoying it was to hear that someone had come by trying to steal their sheeps. Good thing that Ragna had taken care of them. Those that thought they could get away with something like this were not the smartest. They needed to think before attempting.

She paused to a piece she had caught on to her statement. Before she had come here. So many that came from other backgrounds. How interesting. Was Ragna like her? She gave a small flick of her tail tip, "Do you mind if I ask where it is you came from?"

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena

POSTED: Fri May 31, 2019 11:05 pm

(+618)

Figured we could start wrapping this up unless you want to have Zuri talk more about her bats or something? :O

Trust was something required for working with many of the lower species. With a creature like a bat though, Ragna supposed it was especially important. Without food as a motivator, the only thing a Luperci could have given might have been companionship, protection, or shelter. As someone who knew so little—and had never before cared to learn more—about the creatures, it was all a fascinating concept to consider, particularly when considered alongside a scouting role.

“I see,” she hummed thoughtfully.

The idea of somehow making those high-pitched squeaks and clicks that bats made was something the Eklund thought best left to the albino and her family. Glade’s chattering was hard enough, she couldn’t imagine trying to communicate solely through Low Speech like that. It definitely took discipline, and, from the sound of it, it had worked out to Zuri and her mother’s favor. “It sounds like your mother was a smart woman to tap into the usage of bats,” Ragna complimented.

Most of the night? Very good, that meant that they wouldn’t have to be regularly replaced on sweeps of the borders. However, it appeared that bats hibernated—something Ragna hadn’t known—in the winter months. “Maybe the Vale can pick up a falconer that specializes in owls,” she commented, half-joking, if one could call it that, half-serious. Ragna knew all too well that patrols—even in winter where snow crunched and the world seemed a little brighter with it blanketing the ground—could miss threats lurking about.

Taking a glance over at Zuri, she asked, “How many do you have? And where do yours normally roost?” General knowledge claimed caves, sometimes old human homes, but, Ragna had never actually seen a group of them resting before, only once the critters had taken flight or had been spooked.

Ragna took another sniff at the air as they continued their patrol. Nothing of note. It was a good sign. Another day without a trespassing Loner or otherwise meant that the Vale’s presence within the region was becoming respected enough to not be blatantly treaded on.

She offered a shrug to ruby-eyed woman. “Not at all. I came from beyond the Appalachian Mountains,” she answered the Hawkesond with a jut of her chin for emphasis towards the west. She didn’t say anything else, and her tone gave the impression that anything more would have been a pointless venture for anyone that knew just how far the land stretched in that direction. That, and Ragna was keen on keeping her past deeply buried with Salsola still about.

The Wolverthorne knelt as they came across some tracks, her glacier eyes roving over the contours and depression made by the animal that had crossed through the area. “Like most packs, we had our spats with some of the neighbors. We definitely could have used bats as part of our patrols.” The prints were canine, though, the way the pads were angled and positioned instantly gave away the creature that had created them; a fox. The main pad was smaller in comparison to a Luperci’s, and the large gap in the middle and the way the outer toes pointed were also vastly different.

Ragna stood upon coming to the conclusion that the prints were not Luperci or a non-shifter, though, she did take note of the fox’s heading. A fox was a threat to Glade, and it was also a threat to the pack’s chickens.

“Would I be allowed to see your bats in action sometime?” She asked, curious now that Zuri had put the thought in her mind of how to use such a unique creature.

Ragna Eklund

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Songbird
Luperci Scout II
Do not go gentle
into that good night

Dead Topics