Sprung a leak

For Sedona

POSTED: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:13 pm

OOC :: Backdated to April 19th.
Words→ 343

Falcon’s ears twitched at the plip, plip, plip of water droplets falling around him. Each leak had a bowl, bucket, or other container placed under it, and the more it rained, the worse it got. Unable to ignore the problem any longer, he’d called for Sedona’s aid; as much as Falcon didn’t want company right now, he needed it to fix his roof.

It was almost tragically poetic, and he hated it.

The Elkenfrey collected the cups from his musty, old back room and sighed. Despite his best efforts, his boyfriend was long gone on some grand adventure. It stung, and Falcon didn’t know what to do about it; Cotton had left Mistfell Vale on a whim, and the hybrid had been powerless to stop it. Their last days together had been good—great, even—but they left a sour taste in Falcon's mouth.

Maybe, if he had known, he'd have spent fewer mornings alone.

Falcon carried the cups to his bedroom and poured the water out into the rain. He had left Naya like Cotton had left him, and he resolved to visit her soon. They’d begun to patch things up at the masquerade, trading gossip as they enjoyed the festivities, but he still had a lot of work to do. Maybe… Maybe she could come see his show? Falcon had pushed it back again, still reeling from Cotton’s departure, but it would all come together next moon; he just knew it.

A familiar, red-brown hybrid caught Falcon’s eye, and he tried to smile despite his bad mood. ”The door’s open!” he called out to Sedona, before returning to his back room to replace the now-empty cups. Falcon didn’t want her patching his roof in the rain, but at least she could get a sense of the problem. Four leaks in the living room, three in the kitchen, two in the bedroom, and… Well, he’d lost count in the back room, but at least they were small.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander
With great distinction, I carry on They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:35 pm

OOC: Constructor 2 Co-rank thread. WC: 496 +10, use co-rank in a thread

IC: The rain had not really let up for the past few days. It was overcast, blustery and chilly and rain showers rolled through the Vale like waves on the ocean. Every now and then a break in the steady mists allowed for one to venture outdoors without soaking their coat, but there was no avoiding the elements for long. Today, despite the rain, Sedona was on her way to Falcon's home where e'd reported multiple leaks in his roof needing repairing. She knew the roof of his home was one of the many on her "to-do" list, but per his request she'd bumped him up the line. Most the other dwellings were still vacant and so she didn't mind reorganizing her plans.

During one of the small breaks in the storms, the cowgirl made her way up the muddied roads, leather belt with various crude tools looped through it about her waist, cowboy hat upon her head and her trademark red bandana about her neck. The coydog hummed a tune softly to herself as she skirted around a deep puddle just outside the Brassard Church, making a mental note to try and fill in the large pothole in the street. Continuing on, the Whitesage woman turned down Falcon's street and approached his home with a smile. No amount of rain could dampen her spirits. She was unaware of the goings on between Cottongrass and Falcon, so she assumed all was well as she hopped up the front porch and came to the door. From inside she heard movement followed by a voice: "The door's open!

Chuckling, a paw raised in the middle of preparing to knock, Sedona instead pushed open the creaky door to see the Elkenfrey bustling about with various cups and bowls in his arms. "Howdy Falcon, I--Oh!" Immediately, she could see there were multiple leaks in the roof of the living room ahead of her. Hurrying inside, just as the next rain storm picked up outside, the Constructor offered to assist the male with replacing the catching bowls. "Need a hand?" She asked and wagged her tail, reaching forward to take a cup or two from his arms. "I'm glad I came when I did, it looks like ya got some bad leaks for sure." She chuckled and moved to place the cups under the leaks in the living room as he proceeded to the other leaky spots. Looking up at where the water dripped and in some cases near steadily poured through the roof, Sedona started to asses the job she'd need to do. When in work mode, Sedona could be a little one track minded. Turning as she heard the return pawsteps of her packmate, she addressed him, pointing to each leak above them. "I can fix these all very simply, won't take me but an hour and a couple planks. Where else are ya havin' problems?" She smiled, not quite catching the sadness behind the male's tired eyes yet.

POSTED: Fri May 10, 2019 2:29 pm

OOC :: Words→ 403

Sedona’s voice caught Falcon’s attention, and he turned to see the pack’s constructor standing in his entryway. He smiled weakly, but appreciatively, when she offered to help him. ”Absolutely, thank you,” Falcon said, handing a pair of cups to Sedona, ”and I certainly do. They keep getting worse.” The green-eyed hybrid squinted at a particularly spirited leak in the living room. It needed a container under it constantly, otherwise the steady stream of water would create a slipping hazard.

Falcon had discovered the leak by skidding halfway across the room and landing flat on his ass, and he was still sore from it. Not that Sedona needed to know that; for better or worse, no one had been around to see it.

The Elkenfrey took a deep breath and disappeared to his bedroom, replacing the cups and bowls under each leak as he went. He turned to the musty back room and wrinkled his nose; a small puddle of muck was forming where water dripped down the wall, and he wasn’t sure how to manage it. A cup caught some of the leak, but not all of it, and it seemed intent on dripping past it anyway.

Falcon shook his head, placed a cup under it anyway, and returned to the living room. Sedona pointed to the leaks overhead and explained that they would be quick, simple fixes. ”Thank you, Sedona,” he said, nodding appreciatively. He offered his packmate a weak smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. ”I have a few… Well, a lot more leaks around the house.”

Gesturing for Sedona to follow him, Falcon padded to the kitchen and pointed out the leaks; their cups were only half full, but they’d need to be replaced soon. ”These are new, just like the ones in the bedroom,” he explained, giving her a moment to examine them before showing her the rest of the house.

It was only when they’d reached the bedroom, clean and well-kept despite the leaks, that Falcon realized the door to the back room was still open. Sedona needed to see it eventually, but he wished she didn’t; what had been a dirty, but easily ignored closet in winter was becoming a miniature bog that he had to sop up daily with old rags.

It didn’t matter that it wasn’t Falcon’s fault—it was embarrassing.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander
With great distinction, I carry on They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 am

WC: 590

It was a rare privilege to see into other's lives like she got to. Being the Constructor meant Sedona often was inside the dwellings of many of her fellow Mistwalkers to assess various leaks and structural hazards in the old homes her pack mates chose to reside in. The cowgirl got to glimpse little slivers of everyone's lives each visit she made to other people's houses. In Falcon's home there was evidence of an attempt at cleanliness and coziness that was overshadowed by the leaking roof giving the place an overlay of sadness and disrepair. Sedona knew that any water damage to the old homes could be a pain for any resident and the sooner she fixed up the place, the better. She would bring back the home-y feel to the young male's home in no time.

"I have a few… Well, a lot more leaks around the house." Falcon told her and the coydog nodded. "Lead the way." She said then followed him into the kitchen first. Looking around, Sedona smiled at the quaint room, noticing traces of activity here and there. A non-water collecting mug on the counter top, a knife on the old table. Sedona smiled and walked into the room, looking upwards at the leaks. "These are new, just like the ones in the bedroom." Glancing over at her host, she placed apaw upon the table. "These look like they need more thatch than anything." She assessed, noting the slow leak rather than the pouring leaks like in the living room. "Again, an easy fix." She wagged her tail trying to encourage a positive response, noticing now that the male seemed to be less than cheerful at the good news.

She then followed him into the bedroom, crossing to where the leaks were and again determined their severity was not anything she couldn't handle. She noticed a deep musty smell coming from the room across the way where Falcon had come from previously. She pointed in the direction of the spare space. "I take it in there's the worst?" She chuckled and started for the other room. "I can smell the mildew." She flicked her ears, half-way across the hall to the room and paused. "I ain't gonna find nothin' dead in here am I?" She teased him lightheartedly, still uncertain as to why he was so down, but not going to press him if he didn't feel like talking. Not everyone was as open as she was.

She bumped his shoulder with hers in a friendly manner and then headed into the room, wincing at the noxious smell in the corner where the leak had began running down the wall and pooling on the floor, mold, mildew and general ick becoming a hazard all around the puddle. Sedona frowned. "Without even lookin' I can tell you you're gonna need a whole new section of roof and probably a wall in here, hon." She told him wrinkling her nose against the smell. She braved going closer to the ick. "Otherwise, I can just patch the leak, and I'd suggest no longer using this room. It's got some pretty nasty crud growin' in here." She told him, placing a paw over her nose. "That scent and sagging wall is enough to tell me you got a rot problem back here." She gave him the bad news, poking a single clawed digit into the moistened wall and literally pressing right through the old wallboard, the sheetrock crumbling away with very little resistance. Her point was made very clear.

POSTED: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 pm

OOC :: Words→ 401

Falcon listened to Sedona as they examined his leaky, old house together. Despite the coydog’s good news, he struggled to share her enthusiasm. ”That’s good,” he said, forcing a half-smile, ”I was hoping the new ones would be easier to fix.” Falcon couldn’t patch the holes in his heart like Sedona could patch the holes in his roof; he just had to wait for the rain to stop.

The thought was depressing, and it made him want to crawl into bed and never come out again.

The Elkenfrey's ears folded back when Sedona noticed the spare room. Her comments, light-hearted as they were, did little to improve his mood. "It is, yeah," he said softly, cracking a small smile at her joke. ”And I… Don’t think so. Unless something crawled in while I was gone.” It wasn’t impossible, but it was highly unlikely.

The pair moved to investigate the foul-smelling, bog-like back room, and Sedona’s expression soured. Falcon couldn’t blame her; his did, too. The warning signs had been subtle at first: a faint odor, a bit of frost along the back wall, and a small leak that came and went with the snow. The hybrid had expected a few more leaks come springtime, but nothing like this. Maybe, if he’d known better, Sedona could have replaced the damaged sections moons ago.

Not that it mattered now—he couldn't turn back time, no matter how much he wanted to.

The constructor explained the full extent of the damage and gave him two options: she could replace part of his roof and the spare room’s wall, or she could patch the leaks and ignore the rot for now. Falcon frowned as she stuck a claw through the wet, sagging wall. That… Wasn't good. "I… I think we can worry about the leaks first, and come up with a plan for the spare room later," he said cautiously, not looking forward to such extensive reconstruction.

"How long would it take to replace everything? Since it's so..." Falcon trailed off as he closed the creaky, old door. ”Gross. I think that's the best word to describe it." He snorted and shook his head. However long it would take, at least Sedona could fix it. And who knew—maybe it would be less work than he expected.

Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander

POSTED: Sun May 26, 2019 7:51 am

WC: 420 (lol)

Even throughout all her playful jests and attempts to make Falcon laugh, Sedona felt the weight of his mood upon her. She could tell something heavy weighed on the Elkefrey's shoulders. As soon as she was finished with her assessment of his leaky home, the Whitesage woman decided she'd try to stay back a see if the male wanted to talk a bit about what was bothering him.

Making sure to keep her attitude casual Sedona further entered the dank, musty room and approached the damaged wall. "I… I think we can worry about the leaks first, and come up with a plan for the spare room later." Falcon responded to her queries and suggestions. The Constructor nodded, tipping her hat back and looking up at the drippy, roof seeping through the joint between wall and connection of the roof itself. The woman frowned at this and blew out a breath. "Good plan for now. I'm gonna need quite a few non rainy days to really get to work on this if ya really wanna try and save it." She said, deliberately placing her paw firmly against the drywall and watching as it sank muckily into the once hard surface. Her point was made, with raised eyebrows towards her host. "Definitely rotten behind this wall." She confirmed, stepping around the slime and mold where the water collected by her feet. "To be honest, I could prolly just push on this wall and it's collapse. For safety sake, please don't use this room for now." She advised.

Moving back out of the back room, she followed Falcon back to the main living room. "How long would it take to replace everything? Since it's so...Gross. I think that's the best word to describe it." The male asked and Sedona chuckled. "Gross is a pretty good description." The coydog ran a paw through her hair in thought. "I'll be honest with ya Falcon, that's gonna take at least a couple weeks. I got other's houses I'm working on too, but I'm gonna bump you to the top of the list since these leaks are so bad." She smiled kindly and placed a paw on his shoulder. "Don't worry, partner. The rain won't dampen your spirits much longer." The woman assure him before pausing and becoming more serious. "But somethin' tells me it isn't the weather that has ya down. Ya aren't your normal cheery self hon, what's the matter? Anythin' I can help with?" The cowgirl asked, concern evident in her yellow-green eyes.

POSTED: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:59 pm

OOC :: Words→ 380

Falcon’s ears, already tilted backward in displeasure, all but flattened against his skull at Sedona’s assessment. The storms that bombarded Mistfell Vale seemed unrelenting, and he doubted they’d see “quite a few” rain-free days anytime soon. Falcon sighed and scrubbed his hands over his face. Maybe he’d just sleep in the living room for the next couple of moons—he’d certainly done it before.

”Don’t worry, I won’t,” the Elkenfrey said, peering at the mess between pale fingers. The last thing he needed was a rotten, waterlogged wall collapsing on him or his belongings. Sedona, as good-natured and understanding as she was, would have his hide if he risked his safety for a storage room. And Falcon wouldn’t blame her.

Falcon smiled weakly at the red-furred hybrid, appreciative despite the bad news. ”Thank you, Sedona.” It would have been easy for her to put his house at the bottom of her list—there were plenty of other Mistwalkers who needed repairs, after all—but she didn’t. The gesture was like a sliver of light peeking through the dark, gray clouds; it made everything just a little bit brighter.

Unfortunately, it didn’t last. Falcon forced himself to smile as Sedona placed a hand on his shoulder, quick to reassure him that the rain wouldn’t “dampen his spirits” much longer; she didn’t know the half of it. He opened his mouth to thank her for the sentiment, but her serious expression stopped him.

“"But somethin' tells me it isn't the weather that has ya down.”

The hybrid’s lips twitched downward into a frown as Sedona spoke. She really didn’t know the half of it, did she? Cottongrass had left with little notice and few goodbyes, and he must not have stopped by Sedona’s house before he left. ”I… He…” Falcon struggled to find his words, blue-green gaze dropping to his feet. ”Cotton left a few days ago. He… Ran into an old friend, came back to Mistfell Vale to say goodbye, and… Left,” he explained, voice wavering slightly.

Falcon felt so sad and angry just thinking about it. He clenched his shaking hands into fists. When was it going to stop hurting?

Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander

Dead Topics