Everything lies in the eyes of you

POSTED: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:54 pm

(+300)

Co-rank thread open for one. Set during the night.

A lot of the work that had been sought after had to be put on hold, for a number of reasons. With the girls getting older, now able to move around the territory with her, it was important that they knew were their boundaries were, and who were the other members that lived in the Vale. Zansa and Zelda had been able to meet a fair number of familiar faces to their mother, but there were still plenty of those they had not met yet.

Another had been that her husband had returned to her. She had been thrilled to have him be a part of her life again, to be a part of his daughters' lives.. but there was something about him that was putting her off. He had not said anything on the matter, but she could sense it.

She would find out eventually...

With nothing left on her plate, evening had begun to consume the sky. The pale woman had found herself wandering out of her home once she was sure Baelish and the girls were asleep. A smile moved over her muzzle, taking one brief stop at the smallest room in their home, covered only by a dark curtain. She had turned this room into a living quarters of sorts for her bats. Alexandros and Darion frequented this room, and had used it for their place of hibernation before.

It had been tough keeping Zansa out of the room, but she had managed so far.

Some time ago, she had been fortunate enough to capture some of the local bats with Caspar's help. The pup had been more help than he realized. Though a fair amount of those had left, two stayed behind with her. She expected as such. With her normal two not in sight, she stretched out her arm, taking the two unnamed bats with her.

If they were going to stay with her, she needed to strengthen their bond.

Zuri stepped outside, wandering into the darkness, her voice replaced with small squeaks and screeches as she communicated with the little creatures. It was almost like she was back home again.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:45 am

OOC :: Words→ 412

No matter how hard Falcon tried, she couldn’t sleep. She tossed and turned in her moonlit bedroom, blue-green eyes squeezed shut in frustration, until she was panting from the effort. Rolling onto her back, the hybrid stared up at the ceiling and groaned. She couldn’t stop thinking about Naya and it was driving her insane. How had they gone from sparring like reckless teenagers again and confiding in each other on Falcon’s doorstep, to… To this?

A small part of the Elkenfrey regretted not arguing with Naya, not stopping her, before she’d disappeared back into the woods. The knight’s reaction had been… Well, not irrational, but… Gods, if she’d just given her the chance to explain and apologize! Falcon groaned again and rolled onto her side. The worst part was that she knew, as knee-jerk as Naya’s reaction had been, that she couldn’t fault her for it.

Falcon pushed herself up from her bed and sighed, pale fingers curling around the soft furs. She needed to take a walk and clear her head; maybe wandering Winterwynd for a little while would help her fall asleep. She stared out the window for a few seconds as the tattered, old fur covering it swayed in the summer breeze. Why couldn’t she have kept her mouth shut?

The hybrid padded out of the bedroom, deer fur shawl wrapped around her shoulders. Her black pants were tied just below her knees to hide the rips at the bottom, and she reached down to adjust them as she walked to the front door. Maybe she’d bump into a packmate out for a midnight stroll. That… That could be kind of nice, actually.

Falcon stepped out into the cool, night air and hummed thoughtfully. Something drew her to the outskirts of Winterwynd, meandering through the city streets until she spotted Zuri’s house in the distance. The pale mother stood out amongst the gray, stone street, and Falcon trotted closer. She’d spoken to Baelish since the man’s return, but not Zuri. Once she was within talking distance, she realized that the older woman was… Chirping? Chirping and accompanied by two bats.

She knew about Zuri’s bats, but… Well, she’d never actually seen them up close. Falcon was hesitant to interrupt their apparent conversation, but barked a quiet greeting anyway. ”Working with the bats tonight?” she asked, a small smile on her face.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
Pack Aide I They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:34 pm

(+300)

Thank you for joining.

She could tell the new ones were wary of her, as they had every right to be. Perhaps it would have been smarter on their part ot return with the others to the cave she and Caspar had found them at, but here they were, at her side and willing to give this strange woman a chance. She had done all she could to help put them more at ease. This certainly would be easier in the company of her others, but she needed to be the one to gain their trust.

At one point, she had stood still, allowing the little creatures to move around her. The way they carefully clung to her fur and squeaked back at her brought a smile to her face.

Upright ear turned to the sound of a bark like noise in the distance, something that had spooked the bats a bit. Their wings spread, taking off, but she had noticed them only stop to hang from a thin branch in a nearby tree. It was understandable that they would not be used to anyone else but perhaps her and her small family, but this presented her with a great opportunity in the beginning phases of their training.

The pale woman's head turned to the side, noticing Falcon was the one that came to join her. Strange to see him being up so late, but his company was welcomed none the less, "Evening Falcon. Yes I am. These two are part of a group Caspar helped me catch. These two stuck around so I'm helping them get used to this new environment."

She offered one hand out towards the little creatures, giving small squeaks to them before she turned her head back to the other Vale member, "What brings you out here?"

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:39 am

OOC :: Words→ 269

Falcon grit her teeth as the bats took off. Maybe she should have been… Quieter. She hadn’t meant to startle them—the bats were just more skittish than she’d expected. Falcon waited for a frustrated sigh or an icy glare, but Zuri didn’t seem bothered by her bats’ departure. ”Evening,” Falcon parroted, her gaze trained on the small, brown-furred creatures; at least they hadn’t disappeared entirely.

The Elkenfrey cocked her head and tried to imagine what catching bats looked like. Did they… Corner them in a cave? Her dark lips twitched upward at the thought. It was… Probably more sophisticated than that. Falcon glanced at the bats again, doubly relieved that they hadn’t flown away—they were the last new bats Zuri had.

Falcon’s ears perked at Zuri’s squeaking. She’d never heard a luperci make noises like that before, and it was… Strange. It barely sounded like a canine at all, much less one as eloquent as Zuri. ”I… Couldn’t sleep. I thought a walk might help,” Falcon explained. It wasn’t thus far, but she was trying to keep her hopes up.

”How many did you catch?” Falcon asked, turning to watch the bats. She wondered if Zuri would be able to coax them over while she was still so close. ”Is it hard to tame them?” Falcon wasn’t sure “tame” was the right word, but she imagined a group of wild bats wouldn’t stick around long. Zuri had to do something to convince them to stay; she’d already done it with two of them.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:48 pm

(+400)

OOC text goes here.

Zuri's gaze moved back and forth between Falcon and the bats. Though unintentional, this would help them to get more used to the other members of the Vale while they were flying around, or even scouting. If the bats could understand who was a part of the kingdom, and who was not, it would suit them better for the purpose she was training them for. She would have to find a coax them back down to see if Falcon would be open to drawing closer to them.

It was a shame though to hear that the black and white luperci had been unable to sleep this night. There wasn't much of a reason, at least as far as she knew, as to why anyone else would not be able to sleep at night. The mothers of the Vale were understandable as all of them had younger children, though when compared to many of the other places she had traveled to, the Vale was a place of peace.

Though for how long it would remain as such was left to be seen.

Rather than speak on it though, Falcon was the one that drew the pale woman's attention back to the bats. One hand reached up towards the branch they were hanging from, offering them a few calming squeaks before she addressed the other luperci, "There were about five of them I would say. They're smaller, so it's not too hard to gather them." She paused to allow breathing room for that answer to settle in before she continued, "Taming an animal like these is much harder than say a bird or some kind of land animal. Bats do not possess the ability of higher speech, and because their main diet is bugs, training them with food is not the best method. It's more a matter of gaining their trust. I am not forcing them to stay, as most of the ones I captured have flown off already."

And she would be sure to care for these two with all the knowledge she had from caring for the other two.

One of the bats slipped down onto her hand, the other seeming a bit more skeptical of the idea. Letting the little creature move about her hand and arm, she made a careful advance towards Falcon, holding it out for a better look, "I haven't given them names yet, but I figured I would start working with them along the borders."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 pm

OOC :: Words→ 255

Falcon’s ears twitched as Zuri raised her arm and squeaked at the bats again. Two out of five left wasn’t bad, especially when they were free to come and go as they pleased. The red-eyed woman went on to explain the difficulties of taming bats compared to other animals; there was a greater speech barrier than birds, and their primary food source was ill-suited for training.

”That’s really interesting, Zuri. How did you learn to communicate with them?” Falcon asked, watching the bats as they groomed themselves. She could imagine Zuri standing alone in the woods, squeaking at bats until they understood her. It seemed like a very “Zuri” thing to do, and the thought made Falcon smile. The ivory woman could have had a mentor, too; a master bat whisperer who taught her everything they knew.

A warm breeze blew down the street, scattering fallen leaves across the old cobblestones. Falcon bent down to pick one up and turned it over in her hands, intent on fidgeting with something.

The Elkenfrey looked up and smiled as one of the bats landed on Zuri’s arm; she was becoming increasingly captivated by the little creatures. The older woman took slow, careful steps toward Falcon and held the bat aloft. ”I feel like I should know this already, but what do mean by ‘working with them?’” she asked, smiling sheepishly. In truth, Falcon didn’t know a lot about what Zuri did with the bats. Maybe they helped her patrol somehow?

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 pm

(+300)

OOC text goes here.

The language barrier was one of the hardest things to overcome not only when it came to training, but in turn caring for an animal that was not capable of high speech. She knew that bats were not the only animal that was stuck like this. Horses were another, and she was certain there were others out in the world. It was a matter of understand their body movements and the pitches of the noises they made that help with "speaking" to them.

Zuri gave a small shrug of her shoulders, "My mother taught me to understand their low speech. She was working with them probably before I was born." There were many things she had learned from her mother as well as her father. While he had been the one to pass on the art of covering his position, she had been tasked with what would key more to her own personal interests.

Bats were sure something that had grabbed her attention.

The pale woman's eyes were more focused on the bat than they were on Falcon as she had made her advance. The little creature seemed to take it well enough, but once the black and white one had moved, it was not too sure about what it was getting itself into. Lowering her head, she made some low squeaks. A means of comfort perhaps. Offering her arm back out, she waited to let the bat move at its own pace towards the stranger.

Her head turned over her shoulders, looking around the area behind her, "Birds are commonly used as animal scouts around pack borders. It's great for during the day, but not so much at night. Being that where I come from, we prefer to move at night, I figured it wouldn't hurt to train the bats to be night time scouts. The only problem will be that they hibernate, so we would be exposed during the winter."

The elements would make for poor fighting conditions, but that would not stop their enemies. If they knew of the weakness in their defenses, then they would be able to use it against the Vale.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:10 pm

OOC :: Words→ 397

”My mother just taught me to cook,” Falcon said, tilting her head to the side as she watched the bats, ”but you already know that. She was pretty good at making birds come to her, too, but she could never get them to do anything.” At least, not that Falcon had ever noticed; for all she knew, they had been messenger birds from the Wood Women.

It certainly wouldn’t have been the weirdest talent her mother possessed, given her proclivity for predicting the weather and summoning ghosts from their graves. Falcon had always been skeptical of the former, and had never seen her do the latter, but she knew better than to question what her mother could and couldn’t do. The Old Wood was a strange place, and it didn’t behave like other forests did. In fact, other forests didn’t “behave” at all; they just existed, without a second thought for the shed blood or old bones beneath their roots.

The Elkenfrey nearly pulled back at the bat's reaction, not wanting to spook the animal again, but she thought better of it; if Zuri needed her bats to get used to other luperci, retreating at the slightest sign of discomfort wouldn’t be very helpful. She listened to Zuri’s explanation as the bat inched closer, seemingly as wary as it was curious. ”That’s… A really good idea. No one would think anything of a few bats flying around, if they noticed them at all,” Falcon said with a smile. ”Maybe we can trade for a few birds before winter—there has to be someone in Mistfell Vale who knows how to train them.”

Despite the pack’s recent tragedy, she was trying her best to be optimistic; if Saga was convinced they were safe, she could force herself to believe her.

Falcon yawned into her arm, ears folding backward at the force of it, and felt sweet, sweet exhaustion creep into her mind. "Do you mind if I just… Watch for a little while? I think all the tossing and turning I did is catching up to me," she said, lowering her arm slowly. The black and white woman didn’t want to go home, but she didn’t think she could keep helping either. ”Maybe they’ll recognize me next time and I won’t scare them so easily.”

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm

(+300)

Figured we could work on wrapping this up.

Zuri had been open to ideas when it came to scouting options. After all, finding alternatives to the problem with the hibernation of her bats had been discussed with other members aside from Falcon. The idea to get owls had been presented, and now this one with birds. She paused, letting the idea sink for a moment before she spoke, "I'm not.. opposed to the idea of birds if there is someone that could rain them, but the problem lies in what kind of bird is used. Owls have been brought up before, but they are one of bats' predators. I have no doubt there are other birds of prey where this is the case."

They would have to think carefully about what animals would be able to work together. While there was a grander understanding between luperci and other animals, they were still that, animals. None of them could ignore their natural instincts, and so it would seem impossible to think that they could train birds to not attack her bats if they were ever around one another.

They were more evolved, and such could be excused, but not with other animals, especially not when it involved ones that could not speak as they could.

Returning back to the black and white luperci, whom seemed to be letting the night creep back on her. It was no surprise that she was growing tired, as she was probably the only member of the Vale that was used to being fully awake at night. Pulling her arm back, she gave a nod, letting the bat freely move around her body. Instead, she padded over towards Falcon, "Why don't I help you get back home? It's getting late and I think it's time you finally got some sleep."

The pale woman moved her arm up, the bat crawling off it to the locks of her hair. This should make things easier.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

Mistfell Vale