in the dark i hear your voice

zuri

POSTED: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Word Count → 000 :: ooc

The sun had begun its gentle creep towards the horizon as Saga left her home that night. It was quite late, despite the deceptive brightness. It had caused many debates in her household, both of her sons being adamant that it wasn't bedtime since it was still fairly bright out. The explanation that it was still nighttime despite the sun being out had largely fallen on deaf ears, but eventually, the boy's little bodies couldn't keep up with their active minds and they both soon retreated towards the fur pile and fell into a deep slumber.

As she often did, Saga took this opportunity to quickly scout the areas that directly surrounded the village. It was characteristically quiet, as it was most nights and so her task took little time to complete. The Ursarchon lingered a little longer in the darkening night, enjoying the coolness that the rising moon offered in comparison to its radiant sibling that had now mostly retreated behind the treeline. In truth, the dappled woman had little patience for summer, spending her days by the river, coast, or the Emberfen Lakes, any water source she could find in between her duties as a leader.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Ursarchon
Vida
Luperci

fortitude
ursa major

POSTED: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:38 pm

I prefer dangerous freedom
Over peaceful slavery

OOC: +300 words.

Zuri's eyes rested on the sky as the sun began to make its descent, allowing for the moon to rise and take its place. Zansa, always the ball of energy that she was, wanted to spend every waking moment that she could doing something, seeing someone. Zelda was much easier when it came to getting her to bed, and it was always so nice to see the girls curled up next to their sleeping father. Still a creature of the night, it was sometimes hard to bring herself to sleep when the moon brought its light down on the world.

Though it went against her better judgement, there were four bats waiting for her as she made her way outside. Alexandros had taken off in front of them while the three smaller bats remained with the pale woman. Darion was quick to nestle his way into her hair, the other two seeming more curious as they moved around her.

It was a bit strange to think, but training the two as of yet unnamed bats seemed a bit like raising her children. Perhaps that was what helped her some when it came to Zansa and Zelda, though they were not children of the night like the five that moved together would.

The largest of the four had been the one to spot her first, the speckled black and white form that moved about the Vale. It had been Zuri's goal to turn the bats into a scouting party that could watch their borders during the night. One could never be too careful, especially when the Vale had been fortunate enough to not have any attacks dealt to them yet.

That sense of safety might lead others to believe they were lax when it came to scouting and the such. Though it couldn't have been further from the truth, there was no harm in having another line of defense. Following the high pitched squeaks, the Hawkesond soon found herself in the company of the Ursarchon. Head dipped down to her leader as she padded towards her, the two newer bats making squeaks of their own as they hid amongst her hair, "Evening Ursarchon. The boys keep you up late?"

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:33 pm

Word Count → 2+ :: ooc

It was no surprise to see Zuri out this late. The Hawkesond's stark white pelt was a common sight on the borders once the sun had sunk below the horizon, those strange little creatures nestled in her long hair or flittering about around her. Saga had to admit that she was largely ignorant as to what Zuri's pet project actually entailed. She knew at least that it was a scouting project at its core and after the past few incidents, the Ursarchon was incredibly grateful for the initiative. It was impossible to keep the borders manned or sufficiently observed constantly, at least not by the Mistwalker's themselves. The small creatures, capable of flight in such dark conditions would be an incredible asset.

Jutting her head in greeting, Saga closed the gap between herself and her sister-in-law. Zuri's greeting caused the Ursarchon to huff in amusement and shake her head in disbelief. 'Every night. Without fail. I don't know why they still bother insisting they're not tired...' She supposed it was just something that young children, especially young boys, were want to do and she didn't see it petering out soon either.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Ursarchon
Vida
Luperci

fortitude
ursa major

POSTED: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Over peaceful slavery

OOC: +300.

The night has always been a blessing for the woman that walked among the stars. There were times when it was far too hard for her to break her old habits, and with Baelish back home, it was much easier to get out of the house than it had been when she was looking after them on her own. It was always a surprise to see who was up late at night, as no one else in the Vale had any reason to be doing so.

She found it hard to believe that anyone else here would have grown up under the same ruling that she had.

Zuri gave a small smile as the black and white woman closed the gap between them, confirming that it had been Caspar and Daniel that were keeping her awake. As a mother, it was a bit strange to see that young ones would always think they had so muhc energy, or all the time in the world to do anything and everything they could, only to realize they actually were tired. She gave a small shrug, "They're children. Zansa is much the same way, but it doesn't take too much for her to get to sleep. I'm guessing the boys are just more stubborn."

And it probably wasn't too hard to guess where they might have gotten a trait like that from.

There was a pause before the pale woman spoke up again, moving one hand up to the bats moving around in her hair to try and put them more at ease around this stranger, "Well, if you don't mind the company, perhaps we could go for a bit of a walk? Will the boys be safe for a while?" There was no telling what kind of things could happen when a mother was away from her children, and wanted to be sure of everything before Saga felt the need to step away from her own for longer than she needed to.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Word Count → 000 :: ooc

She smiled at Zuri's words, though there was a sombreness to it. 'It won't be long before they do have the energy to stay up all night. And they will. And I'll be up the entire night waiting for them.' Despite the playful façade she fronted, it was clear that there was an unspoken sorrow, and truth, to what she had to say. As quick as the dark cloud passed over her, it disappeared, the sombre half-smiled replaced with a more sincere one. 'They're not far off from shifting.' The Ursarchon stated, an undertone akin to gossip in her voice. 'I can't be the only one that's terrified by that concept.' They would be the first children of the group to shift, and both had been absolutely giddy at the concept ever since it was first explained to them. For the past month, both of them had been attempting to shift, without any success of course.

Zuri suggested a walk, and Saga was all too glad to agree to it. With a cheerful nod, she agreed, 'I was just patrolling before turning in for the night. I'm sure the boys will be fine, so long as they stay asleep that is...' Saga laughed, and it was a genuine laugh, though it was laced with true concern.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Ursarchon
Vida
Luperci

fortitude
ursa major

POSTED: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Over peaceful slavery

It was both strange, and comforting, to see that Saga was opening up to her a bit more. Strange in the sense that when the pale woman had been attempting to make conversation before, Saga would only say a few words at a time, or remained quiet for the most part. She was not someone that appeared to talk a lot, and especially not when it came to herself. Perhaps it was just due to the fact that she was now a part of the family by extension that she was opening up more.

Regardless of the base reason, this had been what she wanted all along, a better relation with the black and white woman.

Considering the life that Zuri had come from, it seemed that the fear of children becoming old enough to shift as well as the process on its own would bring fear to the parents. The age, at least in Mortimer, was not the real thing to fear. It was the danger that came along with it. Shifting was in a sense, a right of passage... along with the actual trial that marked them as adults, but shifting was natural, albeit able to be manipulated to some degree.

She understood the other mother's fears though. Having two children, one of which seemed to get in more trouble than the other, could make them reckless and not prone to being cautious about the danger in the world around them, a similar worry when it came to Zansa. She could very well fall under the same trap. One thing was for certain though, they were far safer here than they would have been back home, "I suppose it is only natural."

The pale woman had been pleased to see that the Ursarchon would be pleased come along with her for a walk, mentioning that she had been patrolling before she had gone to turn in for the night. It was harder for her, no doubt, as she would have no one to watch the boys if they woke up; but then again, given the way she had mentioned them protesting about not being tired, they probably wore themselves out enough to sleep much longer.

Taking a couple strides forward, Zuri turned her head over her shoulder, "How are things along our borders? Everything seems relatively safe for the time being."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 am

Becoming a mother had lowered her defences significantly. It had shown her that she couldn't possibly handle everything at once and had forced her to learn to accept aid. It had not been a comfortable switch, and Saga was still the same stoic figurehead that she had always been, but she had softened and grown in the last year and now she found it easier to speak openly about this she would never have dared to beforehand. The fact that they were related through marriage and had children scarcely two months apart in age only seemed to bring down the Ursarchon's defences further. The four children had even developed a similar dynamic within their sibling pairing, one far more outgoing and one less so.

'It's only gotten harder to contain them. I daren't think what they get up to half the time...' Saga admitted.

She still truly believed that her strain was the largest. Zuri had Baelish. Zuri had daughters. Zuri wasn't the Ravenqueen. Saga had no one, only her sons and the weight of the Vale on her shoulders. She didn't share this belief, however, for ones individual struggles were not a contest, and she didn't seek to cause rifts between herself and those under her.

'They've been quiet, on the whole.' The Ursarchon reported, 'Everyone is still on edge, so there have been more patrols than usual. Understandably'.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Ursarchon
Vida
Luperci

fortitude
ursa major

POSTED: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Over peaceful slavery

Another truth that Saga had admitted was in the containment of her sons. With age, they will want to do things on their own, and there was no doubt in Zuri's mind that when that time came, Zansa would be the one that she would have to look out for the most, at least next to her husband if things didn't start changing with him. She was far more outgoing than her other sibling, and that was sure to make things... complicated once age started to settle in.

In an attempt to try and make the black and white woman feel better, crimson gaze shifted a bit to the side, "Caspar seems fine enough. I would be more worried about Daniel. If he was already willing to go wandering off at a younger age than he is now, then I can only imagine what it will be like once he shifts." She paused for a moment before continuing, "But perhaps.. it might not be a completely bad thing. Sometimes there are those os us that only learn when we make our own mistakes."

Perhaps the young male getting in over his head would get him to be more cautious when he grew up.

She walked along Saga's side, the pale woman turning her gaze down on the woman as she spoke. Upright ear pulled back slightly, "Mmm... The Vale is a peaceful kingdom, to be sure. Perhaps it is that lack of enemies that has others on edge. I have no doubt it is a matter of time before we'll make our own. It never hurts to be prepared for what might come our way."

As night settled in more, one hand moved up to the bats that had come along with her. Keeping the little ones close to her, she gave them a few calm squeaks. They didn't move much away from her arm, but made their own little noises back at her.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:26 am

'I fail to see how Daniel being set loose unaccompanied would be good for anyone.' she said, though there was humour in her voice, it was a bitter humour. 'I know I can trust Caspar at least. So long as Daniel doesn't rope him into to something insane.' Most likely Caspar would do nothing but bear witness to Daniel's stupidity, but the thought of having both of them close to danger made her sick with worry. 'I just don't trust him to discern the difference between a mistake and abject danger.'

The Ursarchon agree with a solemn nod. New packs were sprouting up in the nearby area and the Vale couldn't always rely on friendly neighbours and neutrality to keep them safe. 'We'll have to do something about it. We can't expect Ragna to hold down the fort herself.' Saga surmised wearily. Maybe she could borrow Honrin once again to impart some knightly knowledge upon the Mistwalkers. 'I'll see what I can do to get us all better prepared. We can't rely on friends to keep us safe.' The Vale couldn't live in the debt of others, it wasn't a sustainable way to exist.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Ursarchon
Vida
Luperci

fortitude
ursa major

POSTED: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Over peaceful slavery

OOC: +400 words.

Daniel was no doubt going to be some amount of trouble, both for the Vale and his mother on the whole, but what could really be done about it? Shifting was a sign, a pssing into adulthood in some ways. When it came to that age, it was at a point when many in their lives would believe they can do anything and everything, and given the few interactions she had with Daniel, she could only imagine what this might translate to when he was walking around on two legs.

Saga played it off as a bit of a joke, but there was some seriousness to her tone. The pale woman offered another shrug of her shoulders, "Like I said, maybe it'll take something really bad to blow up in his face before he learns what it means to be cautious and responsible. All we can do as parents is help to point them in the right direction. It's up to them what they do with the information we pass onto them." And to discipline them when something goes wrong.

Shifting the topic, the Hawkesond woman agreed that expecting Ragna, as someone who specialized in patrolling around the borders, to handle to work all on her own was unreasonable. Thank goodness she had been working on a backup plan. She wondered if word about her training had reached to the leader, but with everything else on her plate, it would not be completely unexpected.

Zuri moved her hands behind her back, pacing along next to the Ursarchon, "We can't rely on them, you're right, but it will do us well to keep good relations with those that live around us. We'll have better numbers and chances if we need to call on aid. As for making sure we're better prepared, I have been working on a solution to our border problem. Most places I have seen use birds as scouts, and Mortimer did something similar, just with bats."

One hand moved up, pointing out the small bodies that had been moving about in her hair, "I don't know if you remember, but your son helped me to catch these two. I have brought them out here to get them used to our borders. We'll be able to use my trained bats as night time scouts for most of the year."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

Dead Topics