Upsetting The Apple Cart

Phoenix

POSTED: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:59 pm

OOC: Hee Haw Orchard, mid morning. Pack Aide II thread one of three. WC: +2

IC: The break in the perpetual rain was a blessing. Finally projects requiring dry conditions could get back under way and the Whitesage woman didn't have to be idle any longer. Sedona hated being without some sort of task to do. She like being busy and burying herself in hard work. The rain, while she was used to it after a year of living in the Vale, could still be a nuisance when she wanted to work on thatching roofs, training horses, or like today, tend to the fallen, rotting apples in the Hee Haw Orchard.

She'd conscripted her brother Phoenix into assisting her with the project so that the two would have something they could do side by side and so Phoenix wouldn't be bored at home either. Sedona knew that he was struggling a little to settle into pack life, but it was only a matter of time before he found his niche. She was doing her best to help integrate him into her social circle and to help prompt him to do little things here and there to help around the pack.

With a barrel pulled up between the aisle to collect the mushed apples and leaves in, the tan coydog hummed a soft tune, leaning against one of the trees while she awaited her brother to arrive. She had a rake and a shovel on hand to help them with their work. She tried to make sure to pick a row which Phoenix could easily spot her in. Hopefully he wouldn't take too much longer. Time was wasting, and the cowgirl wanted to get started.
Last edited by Sedona Whitesage on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

POSTED: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
: ) [+300]

He was to meet her at, heh, Hee Haw Orchard. The name of it got him all giggly, but he agreed nevertheless.

It was still morning time, and the dew of the earth had just about dried from the grass as he bound down the path towards the meeting place. They were going to be working, which was a bit of a drag, but Phoenix still enjoyed spending as much time as he could with his sister. Even though it had been about a month since he arrived, there was no way he was going to take their time together for granted — which might have annoyed her, considering he was still crashing at her house, but hopefully he could get that squared away soon enough. If anything, the Whitesage man enjoyed pushing her buttons and grating her nerves.

She packed quite a punch, though, which was a downside to his shenanigans.

Before too long he could see her figure in the distance, waiting for him between rows of apple trees, and he loosed a friendly bark to grab her attention. His pace quickened into a jog, and he approached her with a wagging tail and a wide smile.

"Mornin', warden," he greeted cheekily, eyeing the collection of tools Sedona had towed along with her. "'M ready t'get started on m'community service."

The scent of apple wafted all around them, though it was definitively soured by so many of the rotting fruits laying abandoned on the dirt. Maybe he could convince Sedona to let him snag a few of the juicy ones still on the trees, assuming they were any good; Tohopka was a big fan of apples.

"Well, let's get t'work, Sedona, can't afford t'wait around," he teased her, reaching down to the shovel and feeling its weight in his hand. Scanning the rows, he let out a small "hmm". "You reckon we oughta jus' start here or... Hang on, we doin' this whole orchard?" It wasn't a small piece of land, but rather quite sizable... Was it a job suited for just two Luperci?

template by Andi, image by @thkelley

veldt
Luperci The Sound of Fury
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

POSTED: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:48 pm

WC: +4

Whoever named the Orchard Sedona didn't quite know, but that was the name of the place. At first the woman took it as a joke, but more and more people around the Vale referred to the apple strewn fields by the amusing name and so it stuck.

It didn't take long for the familiar yip of her brother to alert her to his approach. She looked up from the idle fiddling at the hem of her red bandana and grinned, tail set to wagging at the sight of him. The two Westerners were two peas in a pod. While perpetually teasing and getting on each other's nerves, it was clear they were very close and loved each other dearly. It was amazing to Sedona just how wonderful it was to have her brother back in her life again. She hadn't realized just how much she missed his goofy antics. They made her day all the brighter.

"Mornin' warden." As was usual, the tan and brown male greeted her with a sarcastic comment. The cowgirl merely rolled her eyes, her grin never faltering. "M ready t'get started on m'community service." He continued to tease and she took a step forward to swat at him. "Y'better watch it or I'll really show you what it's like to have a slave driver on yer ass mister." She chuckled and grabbed up the rake, spinning it in her paws so the sharp parts pointed skyward. She aimed it menacingly at him narrowing her eyes, daring him to try anything before smirking and setting it back down.

"Well, let's get t'work, Sedona, can't afford t'wait around." Looking up and down the orchard row at all the rotten fruits on the ground and the scattered leaves, the Whitesage woman nodded, going into duty mode. At Phoenix's worrisome protests about having to do the entire orchard Sedona barked a laugh. "Pfft! No way in heck just us two are doin' all this by ourselves. We're just doin' a few rows today. The one's closest to the barn I think should do." She smiled. "C'mon now. Y'aren't afraid t'get yer paws dirty now are ya? The Phoenix I knew wouldn't hesitate at a little hard work." She teased back, thumping his shoulder before meandering down the aisle and starting at the head of it, beginning to rake up the leaves and mushed apples there. "I'll rake, you scoop." She instructed, indicating the barrel between them.

POSTED: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
so sorry for the wait on this! [+300]

His teasing always brought forth the reaction he wanted; unfortunately he couldn't sidestep the slap at his arm, and he laughed with an accusatory "ow" — when she wielded the rake, however, a genuine fear did flash in his bright green eyes for the briefest of moments.

Sedona could really tear him a new one with that rake if she wanted to, and he was well aware of this.

But the grin at her muzzle was playful, and he held up his hands in surrender. "Jesus, Sedona, watch where you point that thing," he said, faux shock in his voice, and he matched his sister's smirk readily.

A relieved "phew" escaped his lips once she set him straight about the magnitude of their work for the day. "Thank Christ, because you had me worried for a second there." Who was Christ again? Phoenix was not quite sure; he just repeated the phrases and names of unknown deities he had heard in his many years.

Anyway.

"'Course I ain't afraid," he tsked, taking more abuse at her hand pridefully and only slightly wincing at the force at which she thumped him. The coymutt took up the shovel and followed his sister's lead, scooping up the rotting apples she gathered in a little pile beside them.

"Y'know, much as I hate sayin' yer right about anythin'," he started off, throwing her a little smile to ease any arguments she had at the ready for his little quip, "I am startin' t'really like this Mistfell Vale. It's... peaceful-like. Toh seems t'like it too."

He clicked his tongue thoughtfully. "Need t'figure out how I can help out more, I reckon. This is a good start, though, shovelin' apples n' all." He chuckled as he dumped another load of mushed fruits into the barrel and tried to gauge Sedona's response.

veldt
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

POSTED: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 am

It was all good fun between the siblings. The bantering went on back and forth, the jabs landed and the laughter rang out in the fields. It really was nice to be back in the company of another Whitesage cowpolk. As her brother sighed in relief about their workload, Sedona swished her tail, beginning to rake up the rotten apples and fallen leaves from under the first trees she'd already chopped the lower hanging branches from. "Thank Christ, because you had me worried for a second there. ...'Course I ain't afraid." He said and Sedona simply shook her head and thumped his shoulder with a smirk. Good!

He took the whacking with pride and a grin and then got to work, shoveling the raked pile of apples into the barrel. For a time they worked in mutual silence, but then once again the Whitesage cowboy spoke. She almost cut him off for his sass, but his look told her to wait so she shut her mouth with a soft click of her teeth, continuing to rake, but at a slower pace so she could hear him over the sound. "--I am startin' t'really like this Mistfell Vale. It's... peaceful-like. Toh seems t'like it too." Sedona smiled and her gaze softened. I'm really glad to hear that Phoenix. I'd hoped you'd come to find it to feel like home. She churred and wagged her tail, pausing in her raking to gently place a paw on her brother's shoulder.

"Need t'figure out how I can help out more, I reckon. This is a good start, though, shovelin' apples n' all." Sedona chuckled at that. There's always plenty needin' done. Ask around t'see if your packmates need anythin' for starters. But there's always need for more border patrols and more hunters. She wagged her tail happily. Y'can never go wrong pickin' up somethin' where your strength's lie too. If ya want to work in the stables, I can always put ya to good use with the goats 'n sheep. She smirked. They're a pain in my ass, just like you, y'all will get along fine. She giggled and dodged away from her brother in case he decided to retaliate. Except for her last jibe, she was serious though.

You're fine, hon! <3 [376]

POSTED: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
<3 [+300]

She lit up at his words, gracing him with a smile and some audible relief. Her hand was warm on his shoulder, and he gave a little laugh again, reaching with his free paw to squeeze hers. "I had home fer a while, back on the ranch," he said, his voice a bit distant. "But it kinda, I dunno... escaped me, I reckon? I dunno how to say it." A shrug. "I think you know more than anybody what I'm talkin' about, though. It wasn't my home home." A pause, and he stopped shoveling for a beat. "I think this could be my home, though."

He always felt a little... weird... talking about it. But Sedona had left the ranch behind just as he had; it certainly wasn't easy saying goodbye to the only family and home he had ever known, but it had been time to move on. A little piece of them would always be with him, anyhow; they were never really gone, he supposed.

And having Sedona around in this new place with these new faces was all he really needed to find his new home, after all.

"Not the best hunter but I'll do what I can," he said breezily, but his ears pricked at the mention of the stables. "Yeah, I had been thinkin' 'bout that, dealin' with the livestock n' all." He rolled his eyes at her quip, but he took comfort in seeing his sister dart away in fear of his reaction. He wasn't going to hit her, but it was funny to see her scared.

"'M sure we'd get along like a house on fire," he responded proudly, tipping his muzzle up. "I'll have you know that I like goats n' sheep, Miss Sedona. They're misunderstood."

veldt
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

POSTED: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 pm

OOC: Just posting once more to get my WC for co-rank. WC: 353

IC: Sedona listened with a wagging tail as her brother explained to the best of his ability how he felt about leaving the ranch back in Arizona. It wasn't an easy decision for him, she was sure. It hadn't been for her. But she was glad to hear that once he had felt the pull to leave, he had now found home was growing on him in the Vale. She knew all to well what it was like to get the bug to want to roam. It was why she left too. But once she felt she had accomplished her wanderings, finding Mistfell felt like the best choice she'd ever made.

"I think this could be my home, though." The Whitesage woman grinned. "Good, cuz now that yer here, I don't think the Vale will ever be the same. It's more home now than it ever was with you here." She told him genuinely. Although she too missed her sisters and brother and the rest of her family, she felt far more fulfilled as a part of the Vale than she ever did working on the family's ranch. She couldn't fault anyone for that feeling, it was only natural.

As they continued to converse about what things Phoenix could do to assist around the pack, Sedona nodded with optimism as her brother latched onto her suggestion of working with the livestock. She stuck her tongue out at his comment about being misunderstood and rolled her eyes. Resuming raking the leaves and apples she bumped him with her hip to get him raking again as they talked. "Well, I guess ya can take over with them then. I'd be glad to give ya'll time to butt heads." She teased lightly.

As the two of them continued to clean up the apple orchard, the sun moved across the sky. The Whitesage siblings talked for hours between their work, catching up after so much time apart. It was cathartic spending such quality time with her brother again. It filled Sedona's heart with good, warm feelings and brought her an inner peace she didn't realize she was missing.

Dead Topics