All good work requires self-revelation

p. Phoenix

POSTED: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:34 am

OOC ::
Jordheim Papermill, 9/6: While not nearly as much stone is needed as other materials, collecting and delivering the stone to the build site is no easy task!

Words→ 280

Morning sunlight streamed through the canopy, creating swaying patterns over the Ruined Vasts. Songbirds flitted from tree to tree, and collapsed wall to collapsed wall, against a backdrop of rustling leaves. It was a beautiful day for good, hard work.

Falcon huffed as she lifted a large, rough stone out of the dirt. It had been a part of a wall, once; what that wall connected to, she didn’t know. She balanced the cool stone against her body and glanced toward an old path leading further up the hill. It almost looked like an old staircase buried beneath the earth. Almost.

The Elkenfrey turned around and watched as Brom dropped a pair of old, stone bricks in the cart. Jenny lifted her head at the noise, ears and tail twitching curiously, but quickly returned to grazing in the shade. Brom looked up at Falcon and raised an eyebrow as she took slow, careful steps down the incline. ”What?' Falcon asked, smirking lightly. A frog chirped beneath the leaf litter, and she carefully stepped around it.

”There are plenty of rocks down here too, you know.” The builder gestured to the rubble around him, half-covered by leaf litter and plants.

Falcon dropped her rock in the cart and shrugged. ”It doesn’t hurt to explore,” she said, crouching down beside him. She wrenched an old paving stone from the earth and dropped that in the cart, too. ”Right, Phoenix?” she called out, having lost track of the man again. He was a different kind of handful than Sedona was, but Falcon liked it.

Brom seemed to consider this for a moment, nodded his assent, and got back to work.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
Pack Aide II Drakehund I They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 am

Phoenix Whitesage
:DDD weeeeewhewwwww ~ [+300]

Phoenix was not unused to hard labor, that wasn't really the problem — not that there was a problem at all, no problems here, but was it how he wanted to spend his day? Well, if given the choice, probably not, but it was a good way to prove that he had something to offer the Vale. They didn't have to let him join, they didn't have to provide a roof over his horse's head and make sure he was well off, they didn't have to do anything.

He didn't even have to help, but he wanted to; he wanted to give back. As time went on he was getting a better feeling of how special this place was and why Sedona was so doggone soft on it. If it hadn't have been something she believed in, she wouldn't have stayed.

"Right, Phoenix?"

"Uh huh, right — wait, what?" His head cocked around, and he almost dropped the huge rock in his arms. He almost forgot about the other two, getting lost in his own thoughts.

Falcon and Brom seemed nice enough, at least. He didn't know them especially well yet, but they were all friendly with each other and were getting the job done, so that was all he could really ask for. He dropped off his load into the cart and flashed Falcon a little grin.

I have no idea what he just said. It warranted the trademark smile and nod response.

"Hey, uh," he started as they headed back up the hill, and the cowboy found a pretty spectacularly ordinary rock to haul back. "So you know m'sister pretty good, don't'cha? You got any embarrassin' stories or anythin'?" He laughed a little then groaned as he struggled to lift the damned thing up.

template by Andi, image by @thkelley
avatars by Mandi and Despi, signature by Nat
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt
Luperci The Sound of Fury

POSTED: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 pm

OOC :: Words→ 292

”It doesn’t hurt to explore,” Falcon repeated, returning Phoenix’s grin. She stretched idly and scanned the area for other, suitable rocks. She was trying to collect a range of sizes for Ezra, but enough of each that they’d all be useful; going back up the hill was probably her best bet. If Brom wanted to harass her about it, she’d… Well, Falcon didn’t know what she’d do. Eat his jerky, maybe.

The Elkenfrey tucked strands of long, dark hair back into her bun as she climbed the leaf-covered hill. She didn’t notice Phoenix had followed until he spoke, and her ears perked curiously at his question. Falcon did know Sedona pretty well, but she wasn’t sure she had any embarrassing stories to share. ”I... I’m not sure,” she said honestly; the older woman let most things roll off her back. ”Oh, I smacked her with a mud ball in the face once. Does that count?”

Falcon also vaguely recalled an incident with a goat, but she’d only heard about that secondhand.

Seeing Phoenix’s struggle, she padded over and took some of the weight off his hands. The black and white hybrid looked up at him, ready to say something witty, but froze for a second. Falcon had been hanging around Sedona just as much as usual, which meant hanging around Phoenix as well; how hadn’t she noticed how green his eyes were? They were like… Spring grass. Or the few, green apple trees that dotted the Orchard.

Falcon glanced away as quickly as she stared, willing her ears not to sink back into her hair. ”Need some help?” she finally managed, even as she held the rock with him.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
<3 [+200]

"Ah, yeah, yer right," he responded quickly with a nod, returning the smile as they both set about looking for more rocks. He had done a great deal of exploring since arriving in the Vale, so this was quite the agreeable statement, as far as Phoenix was concerned. Helping out with the other Mistwalkers was an exploration in itself, as he sure didn't know much about Falcon or Brom, but perhaps he would get his foot in the door with them following this little excursion.

An amused snort escaped him at Falcon's recollection. "Ho boy, I bet she loved that," he snickered, picturing his sister getting pegged in the muzzle by mud. He could vividly see the reaction she probably had to something like that, and he tried to keep his laughter mostly to himself.

It was funny, though, so he had a hard time with that.

Falcon decided to give him a hand, and Phoenix flashed him a thankful grin. "Oh, with this ol' thing? 'Course not," he answered lightly, jokingly, as they hauled the rock back to the others.

"He's a biggun'," Phoenix croaked out as they set it down, and he tried cracking his back as he stood back up, hearing a few satisfying pops. "I gotta remember to bend with the knees, not the back," he told Falcon, chuckling.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt

POSTED: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:17 pm

OOC :: Words→ 365

Falcon flashed Phoenix a proud grin as she recalled Sedona’s wide-eyed, mud-covered expression. ”It kept her from leaving the mud fight, that’s for sure,” she said, winding her arm back to mime throwing a mud ball. It had been terrifying in the moment, accidentally pelting her foreman in the face during a timeout, but it all worked out in the end; Sedona was an easygoing woman, and it was why they’d become such good friends.

The Elkenfrey laughed at Phoenix’s joke, a clipped sound that didn’t hit the air quite right. ”I can tell,” she replied dryly. ”It’s not like you almost dropped it.” Phoenix didn’t seem to notice Falcon’s initial staring, or the way her fingers slipped when he spoke. He didn’t question why she’d looked away, or why she sped up as they lugged the stone down the hill. Phoenix just did his job, arm muscles twitching from exertion, until the rock was dropped unceremoniously into Brom’s cart.

She needed to stop looking at his arms. Why was she looking at his arms?

Falcon snorted and stepped back to give herself some breathing room. ”It was,” she said, stretching her arms high above her head, ”and you do. I don’t think you’d ever hear the end of it if you hurt yourself picking up rocks—Sedona would have a field day with that.” Or two, or three, or one hundred. The Elkenfrey let herself imagine it for a moment; she wasn’t sure if Sedona would laugh first and scold later, or the other way around, but it would be a sight to behold either way.

A sight to behold, indeed.

”Want to help me grab another?” Falcon asked, before she could think better of it. ”I think Brom’s got it covered down here.” The pale man raised an eyebrow, but nodded anyway; he didn’t understand why Falcon was so adamant about lugging rocks down the hill. ”I’ll even race you—first one to the top gets half of the loser’s work rations.” It wasn’t a particularly grand prize, but they were tasty.
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
lmao you can have falcon beat him or not, totally up to you. would be funny either way xD [+200]

"Daggum, did I almost drop it?" He rose an accusatory brow, not trying to hide his winsome smile. "I think yer makin' it up or seein' things or somethin'." Nick gave a little chuckle as they dropped off the rock into the cart and returned for more.

He was at least making progress on the social front, even if he was somewhat lacking in the physical labor. He knew that Sedona and Falcon were pretty close, and he could see why; Falcon seemed a nice enough guy, so maybe they too could become pals. At least, Nick could only hope for it.

Another cheeky laugh from the Whitesage man; he could see it now, Sedona freaking out over him only to burst into giggles and mockery shortly after. "God, she'd tear me a new one if I did that," he responded with a little shiver. "I mean, she might be a lil' concerned if I throw m'back out, but she'd be hootin' n' hollerin' more, I feel like." Which she'd have good reason to. Had the situation been reversed he was absolutely certain he'd do the exact same thing.

"Oh, a race?" the cowboy repeated, green eyes wide. Then a mischievous grin wormed onto his features. "Bet. Yer makin' a huge mistake, though, Falcon — I got some pretty long strides, lemme tell ya." And he would prove it, too; soon after the words left his mouth, Nick was already bolting up the hill, taking care to avoid any obstacles in his way.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt

POSTED: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:56 pm

OOC :: Words→ 285

Falcon snorted and rolled her eyes. ”Hey, I thought you needed some help. That’s all that matters,” she said, smiling as she crossed her arms over her chest. The conversation soon shifted back to Phoenix’s poor back and his sister’s inevitable teasing, and then to the idea of a race. ”Oh, definitely. She’d probably find me beating you pretty funny, too.” Sedona seemed to enjoy lovingly harassing her brother, as most siblings seemed to do.

Phoenix was a little bit taller, but she had more practice screwing around on the old, ruined hills—it was anyone’s race as far as she was concerned. ”May the better Mistwalker win!” Falcon shouted, before bolting after him. She vaulted over a small, stone wall that bordered part of the hill, saving precious seconds as she ran through the leaf litter. Her chest heaved as she gained on Phoenix; whether she won or not, she wanted the race to be close.

The Elkenfrey ran as fast as she could, darting around some obstacles and jumping over others, but the finish line was too close. She skidded to a stop, almost bowling into Phoenix at the top of the hill. ”You do have long strides,” Falcon said, panting as she fixed her hair. ”I bet I’d beat you going back down, though.”

Falcon winked at Phoenix and scanned the area for another good stone. ”Do you ever wonder what places like this used to look like?” The question popped into her mind unbidden, and she was curious what the man’s answer would be. Crouching down, Falcon settled for one by her feet; it was small, but that just made it easier to carry.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
sorry for the wait! <3 [+300]

His green eyes were pensive, ponderous. "Anything short of me dyin' would probably be funny t'Sedona," he mused, his tone low and serious — more serious than he thought was even possible for his disposition — but it quickly broke into a grin again, an indication of his jest. "Don't get too cocky, now," he warned Falcon, and soon they were off.

He really couldn't focus on the finish line, wherever that was; Phoenix had some long legs, sure, but Falcon was keeping pace at an alarming rate, juking around the rocks and stumps in their way like a natural. He supposed the other Mistwalker did know the terrain better, but still —

The two Luperci almost had a painful collision at the top, and the cowboy was definitely out of breath; probably out of shape as well, but he wouldn't tell Falcon that. "I dunno, you mighta won that one," he conceded, tongue hanging out the side of his muzzle as he panted; but he still hadn't stopped smiling, true to his nature. "Yeah, you prolly would if we went right now," Nick laughed, running a paw through his mane in a vain attempt to tame the wild locks.

As the pair worked to catch their breath, a curious question caused the Whitesage's ears to prick. "Used t'look like?" he echoed. "Eh, I couldn't tell ya. This place is a lot different than where I grew up." He saw Falcon reaching for a stone, and he followed in suit, not one to be caught slacking. "'M used t'mountains n' red rocks n' clay, not so many trees, y'know? Vale's a lot different than Arizona. Sedona mighta talked about that once or twice, she knows what I'm talkin' about."

He bit the inside of his lip thoughtfully. "This place might not have been so green before, I reckon. Or maybe greener." A shrug. "What d'you think, Falcon?"

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt

POSTED: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:11 am

OOC :: Words→ 626

Phoenix attempted to concede, but Falcon brushed it off with a wave of her hand. ”Uh huh, and I’m… I’m the next Nightstag,” she panted, shoulders popping as she stretched her arms high above her head. The race had been really, really close, but she was still convinced that Phoenix had won by a nose. The incline just leveled out where they stood; the earthen man, with his apple green eyes and sunny disposition, had gotten here first.

Speaking of the Nightstag, she wondered how Calia and Felix were doing. They were probably on some grand adventure right now, never staying in one place too long or worrying too much about the pack they’d birthed.

When Phoenix spoke again, laughter bubbling up his throat and out into the open air, Falcon found herself tongue-tied. The sound was sharp and boisterous, filled with Whitesage warmth and a little bit rough around the edges. Still unable to find her words, Falcon nodded and glanced away; all she wanted to do was hide her sheepish, lopsided smile and make the man laugh again.

The Elkenfrey’s ears perked as Phoenix described his homeland, a hot, dry place that was as red as his sister; Sedona had told her about it before, but never in much detail. ”Well, at least we have mountains, too. I grew up in a place called the Old Wood, and I think the farthest I’ve ever been from a tree was… Well, probably when I made the Fundy crossing.” There had been nothing but a rocky land bridge and churning sea water for hours, and only the knowledge that she couldn’t turn around had kept her going.

There weren’t enough trade goods in the world for Falcon to make that first crossing again. The tide had risen higher and higher around her, trapping her on an island in the middle of the newly-formed lock, and turned her ill-planned adventure into a waking nightmare; if the tide had kept rising, she’d have drowned.

Falcon considered Phoenix’s question for a moment, scanning the hillside as she carried her rock back down to the cart. She looked at all the crumbling, stone walls, some round like they’d once carried towers, and hummed thoughtfully. Maybe the stone steps really were staircases once, consumed by the hill they’d been built on. ”Less green,” Falcon said, dropping the small stone on top of all the others. ”It’s hard to imagine it now, but this place probably used to be a… I don’t know, a fort maybe? Like the one the Cavaliers have across the loch.”

If it was greener, maybe there had been gardens here once upon a time. No one could ever know for sure.

”Maybe it was a castle,” Brom suggested, returning to the cart with a heavy-looking stone of his own. He brushed his large hands off on his legs, staining the white fur gray-brown with dirt, and grinned at the rest of the group. ”Good race, by the way. How was it, since you two were clearly too scared of losing to invite me?” The wolfdog crossed his arms over his chest and glanced at the hill they’d just ran up.

Falcon snorted and rested her hands on her hips, one a little higher than the one. ”Pretty good. Phoenix got to the top of the hill first, but I almost knocked him over, so I think I’m the real winner,” she said, flashing the coyote hybrid a teasing grin. Brom laughed and shook his head, as if he didn’t live for jokes at his packmates’ expense; Falcon had worked with him long enough to know better.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:42 am

Phoenix Whitesage
sorry for the wait! <3 [+357]

Yeah, well. Phoenix had zero clue what the hell a Nightstag was, but he swatted away Falcon's words just the same. Maybe, the more he thought about it, maybe he did just barely reach the top faster, on account of those long-ass legs, but he'd given Falcon credit where credit was due. It was a pretty tight competition, if anything; they would have to have a more proper race one day, on flatter ground. Although, the cowboy wasn't so sure he could outpace his companion when the playing field was a bit more even.

"I lied a lil' bit, to be honest. There's a few mountains, no doubt, but not as many," he mused, stroking his chin. "Mostly, like... canyons, y'know. Didn't see 'em a whole lot, but they're real huge like mountains, just... y'know. Goin' down rather than up. 'N also empty." His description of a canyon was definitely lacking and probably not all the way accurate, and he laughed at himself. "Still a lot different than here, even if I suck at explainin' it." Sedona could do Arizona more justice.

Less green, was Falcon's verdict. "A fort?" he parroted, incredulous, just as their mutual friend Brom decided to show up, probably wondering why the pair had kind of just dropped everything to run up a hill. Phoenix cheesed it up and went along with the harmless back and forth, "Woulda been no contest if you'da joined, hoss," he grinned. "But Falcon can't admit that he lost, poor fella, resultin' t'cheatin' like he did."

He winked cheekily back at his competitor, tone airy and cool to not stoke some unprovoked fire. Though he had just really met these two guys, he felt pretty good about the outcome of this work day; regardless of the amount of stones moved to and fro, Nick was confident he had forged new relationships that would better establish himself in the pack, which was the real victory here. Of course, the work was important too, but, ah... It was a sweet by-product of it, he settled with.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt

Mistfell Vale