Building Up Defenses

POSTED: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:46 pm

OOC: Constructor III co-rank thread 3 of 4. WC: +5 +3, use co rank in a thread

IC: With a grunt, the Whitesage woman hauled on the handles of the makeshift sled she'd created from woven pine branches. It was loaded down with various sized beams of wood she planned on using in her latest construction project. The snow was about two feet deep making progress slow and arduous, but the Constructor wasn't about to let the season's weather stop her. Now healed from the attack by the hulking monster outside Mistfell Vale, Sedona was back to her duties with more determination than ever.

Today she had set upon herself to start this new project that had come to her in a moment of deep introspection and thought. Ever since Saga had given the orders to tighten up security along the borders, and with Sedona's own lack of combat skills, she'd decided to take upon building tree platforms for the pack to observe their territory from a higher vantage point. The platforms could also be utilized by archers to defend the borders from.

Reaching the tall, sturdy tree she'd chosen for the first platform, Sedona dropped the load of wood next to the rest of the building supplies at the base of the tree. The previous day she'd begun the foundation of the platform, nailing wooden support beams into the trunk of the tree. It was tough going as the thick trunk resisted the old rusty nails but with her constant scavenging of the old metal spikes from St. John the woman didn't worry about going through tons of the things. Working high up on a ladder and at such heights was a bit dizzying that was for sure. Often times the smallest breeze threatened to carry the brown coydog away, but every time, Sedona dug her claws into the bark and persevered.

Eventually she'd managed to get the struts secure. Now she was beginning work on the actual standing platform. Huffing, the cowgirl looked up to the height where she'd placed the foundation struts. Growling softly with a certain fire in her greenish-yellow eyes, the woman placed the rickety ladder once again against the tree and began to climb, with two planks tucked under one arm and a mouthful of nails. Around her waist was her tool belt with all the rest of the supplies she'd need to work on the platform. She was just one Luperci and so the project was slow going. But she hadn't exactly broadcast her intentions about this little endeavor. Besides, she was strong, capable, and she could do this by herself, right?

About halfway up the ladder, suddenly a gust of wind whooshed along. Sedona grit her teeth against the chill and held on tight to the ladder as it and the tree swayed heavily. Whining, the woman began to regret taking on such an ambitious task alone. Perhaps she should call for some assistance... Sighing as the wind settled again, Sedona readjusted her grip on the ladder before brushing the hair from her face and then tipping her muzzle skyward and calling for assistance from any free, able bodied pack mate.

POSTED: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:22 am

Rialu was nearby when the familiar voice rang out across the sparse landscape of trees and snow. Knowing who was at the other end and what it might entail she abandoned dreams of catching six rabbits today and made off toward the origin of the sound. Soon a wild sight came into view; Sedona clutching to a ladder as the cold winds rattled through the trees, so did Rialu's teeth and the swaying ladder made her stomach lurch.

The coywolf padded on over and held the bottom for support, looking up at her fellow Mistwalker with a self-satisfied grin. "Hey Sedona, how are ya! See, I'm not just a pretty face ah?" Rialu put her bow on her back and took the ladder with two hands, glancing up once more. "An hurry it up there would you I'm goin to get tired of looking at your arse," she laughed.

Then she noticed what was up above the Whitesage woman and her ears stopped walking so tall. "Actually, scratch that I love you! You are a putain de génie! Genius!" The hunter cried with a certain glee not inspired so easily in her. "Next, I am going to find some thick sticks to cut and I'll peg this sucker into the ground!" Maybe if she carved notches in the pegs they wouldn't slip, and if driven deep enough they may not come out while climbing. But still she held fast so her friend could put meat on the bone frame she had devised up in the tree.
RIALU
The leaves fall like comets missed, and you are this, all straight with twist.

Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:54 pm

WC: 420

It didn't take very long for help to arrive, thank the heavens. Sedona's precarious situation was amended swiftly as the rusty coyote woman took hold of the base of the spindly ladder and held it steady for the constructor. The wind still tried it's best to topple her but at least now she didn't need to death grip the tree any longer. "Hey Sedona, how are ya! See, I'm not just a pretty face ah?" Rialu said brightly from below, and Sedona chuckled weakly in response, feeling a bit dizzy and lacking humor right in the moment. "An hurry it up there would you I'm goin' to get tired of looking at your arse."

Before she could quip back to her feisty friend, Rialu spoke again, this time in a praising tone which caught the treebound cowgirl off guard. She glanced down, ears folding at the compliment at her genius. It made a small smile find it's way to Sedona's face. She was glad her idea was one others agreed with and approved of. "Thanks Rialu!" She chuckled and climbed a little higher on the ladder, moving to place the last wooden board across the framework she'd built. The platform was coming together slowly but surely.

Looking down at her companion she wagged her tail. "I plan on buildin' a bunch of these all along our borders. This is the first one." She explained to the woman below. Pulling the crude hammer tool from the tool belt at her waist Sedona then grabbed a nail from a pouch at her side and began to pound it into the wood, securing the board she'd just placed onto the sturdy frame. She needed to make sure the platform could hold at least two luperci at once. She wanted to be sure it was safe as well as useful.

"Next, I am going to find some thick sticks to cut and I'll peg this sucker into the ground!" She heard Rialu say from below, referring to helping to steady the ladder and Sedona hummed softly in agreement. "Good thinking!" She nodded and then gasped as another gust of wind threatened to carry her away. She nearly lost her grip on the hammer, but hooked the claw of the instrument into the bark of the tree and managed to save it. Shaken by the near accident, the brown coydog hurriedly replaced her tools and prepared to descend. "Hell, I'm comin' down now! Let's get this thing secure before I come crashin' down." She said with a whine to the woman below and began her descent. "Beep beep, this arse is backin' up!" She teased with a nervous laugh as she swiftly climbed down the ladder sweeping her tail behind her. Once she had her paws back on solid ground she'd feel much better.

POSTED: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 pm

There was a light mood here rarely seen inside the collapsing bubble that was Rialu's gray and red world of anger and pain. Light did not easily enter, folding away from her tight dark place of isolation, but this world had its cracks and she welcomed them. She knew everything could bring her joy just not how easily, but today she could connect to a swaying ladder and a friendly face.

Sedona's work caught her eye more long-term, despite the excellent view, as she was not one to betray the loving boy she harbored back home. Or even typically involve herself in some playfulness amongst girls. She usually found herself more relating to the heavy-handed, the furrowed, the stoic hot coals for eyes. With a thank you came hot coals of her own and a thin grin. "Yer welcome there miss cowpoke!"

Sedona said she planned on placing more overlooks around the territory, which is what she had originally guessed based on the amount of materials gathered and at their disposal. The archer nodded, cream features floating up and down enthusiastically as her ears wavered in the cold air, puffs of breath floating up. "Tres bien! I figured!"

Rialu became a little restless at the bottom of the ladder, as she was not one for waiting around in the cold, or in the heat, just waiting in general was a struggle in its own. She thought against popping out a smoke and chipping a match on a dry patch of tree bark, as she thought that would carry the wrong message. The red girl could withstand a few inconvenienced moments before coming off as a total bitch, as she was already getting the wrong ideas about standing there with one hand on the ladder. She left for mere moments after spotting some sturdy branches she simply snapped to size in her rigid hands, sweeping long strides across the layers of snow. But just as she began to hurry back the wind kicked Sedona off-balance. Rialu rushed to assist, clamping the ragged ropes with angled elbows, a mumbled curse shooting from her mouth followed by a grunt as she pulled the swaying object and its passenger back to intended shape. "Thing's like a friggin snake what if the whole thing was just two sticks and rope in between." Better yet makes the steps wood too, and she realized that was just a big ass ladder and shook her head in amusement.

The Whitesage carefully finished her work and packed her things, laying claim to her descent with a cute laugh. Rialu smiled with pearly teeth, looked off over her arm to the green-white rustling leaves and patient calm of winter. She tried to remember she liked Virue more than Sedona but she had not been able to speak to him in so long that she missed that form of connection with him. The light was bleeding through again, and this time it showed ways to feel pain and a branding sorrow that filtered through her world. Rialu bit her lip, snapped her tongue over her muzzle and chuckled dully, forced. "Alright now don't make me hurt ya." She played, but there was no play, it was cold and foolish to say as it sounded, and the force of this evil innocence made her feel crooked and wrong. She coughed harshly to break the silence, looking away to guard that raw nerve inside her skull, ears folded over to show some shook up concern. Regret. She looked up to her friend with evasive, unfocused eyes as she descended, afraid of totally connecting back to the light from before. Then, moving to the side to let her onto the ground as she reached near the end of the line with a reach of her hand to help her down if needed.

Rialu was getting a bit cold and as shivers came so too did a bleeding heart of stone that told her to reach for something warm to hold for at least a few moments time. She looked into Sedona's face and bore into a careful soul windowed with panes of green, eyes narrow and low singing some angry lonely tune some strained to hear. Rialu stepped closer, ears lower now to lean close to her face where she could feel the bristle of her whiskers. "You have...something...here..." Rialu told her with a rippling nuance of contraband confidence, before reaching to the side of her eye to perhaps brush away some piece of bark or debris from her harrowing climb. She pulled herself away then after letting winter be unforgiving and harsh, just as she ripped something away as quickly as it had come. The light had poured and the world poured back its filthy ink, chest deep in the shadows of regret, she choked on her own weakness and immaturity stalking off with a callous stride, a sneer, to pop another smoke in her mouth and set the stench alight. Letting coils of nicotine be her comedown with folded arms just as winter was abrasive and cold to the touch.
RIALU
The leaves fall like comets missed, and you are this, all straight with twist.

Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:22 pm

OOC: I am so sorry for the shortness of this reply! WC: 380

IC: The banter back and forth with Rialu was welcome. It was always nice to have pleasant interaction with her pack mates. She knew the coyote woman was going through a rough time with her mate and his deteriorating health, but it was good to see her out and about like this. As her paws touched solid, but snowy ground, Sedona laughed again, her paw in the other Mistwalker's paw for added balance. "Thanks again." Sedona wagged her tail and then paused, going cross eyed as the other woman reached forward gently to brush away a piece of bark from by her eye.

The gesture made Sedona smile softly. It was such a sweet motion from the usually gruff coydog. "Oh... Thanks." She said and watched as Rialu turned away lighting a ciagarrette. Hmm. The Constructor wasn't really sure what to make of the copper female's actions and so she focused on the task at hand again. Looking up to the tree again she huffed, a puff of cold air forming before her muzzle. With her hair blowing about her face from the winter breeze, Sedona grabbed the rickety ladder and started to pull it down from where it leaned against the tree. Lowering it to the ground she placed her paws on her hips. "Let's reinforce this shall we?" She grinned and looked over to Rialu standing a small distance away.

Glancing then to her pile of wood still on her makeshift litter she wondered if anything she already had would work then she got an idea. Why not just attach the ladder to the platforms directly to the tree trunk itself! "Actually, what about this!" She exclaimed and then explained her idea of nailing boards into the trunk as handholds and footholds up to the platform. "Do ya think that'll work? I've already got one board up there for me to stand on, if I can just get up there to place a second the space will be wide enough for both of us to stand on and we can place the rest of the slats no problem. The ladder can then stay there for people to get up and down in the future." She said enthusiastically. "Ya ain't afraid of heights right?" She asked with a playful grin.

Dead Topics