Make this a bit more like home

POSTED: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:46 am

Looking over her new den she rubbed her chin in thought. So far she had only put a hide over the entrance to act as a door of sorts. With winter well in tow, she needed something that could hold in heat, and that was if the den would be able to have a fire inside without smoking her out. So far she had set up a fire outside and had not tested if she could have one within. Narrowing her eyes, Vera moved and pulled the hide aside, looking within. It was a good-sized den, perfect for just one canine...maybe two if such a thing were to arise. The entrance itself was a bit low, but she could get in without shifting if she remembered to duck. Tying the hide to the side she entered and moved around the edges.

Honestly, the sturdy female had not really fully inspected the den and had just hastily moved in when the snows started to fall. Since then she had spent her time outside during the day, training the bird for Tora, and had only come back to sleep. This was the first time that she could take time to see what sort of home she had rushed into. It was surprisingly spacious and she noted that with a bit of relief. Though she did not do much besides hunt, she would want to make traps and other things during the long winter when prey was scarce. The roof was low, but she could still stand at her full height without any issues, it sloped down near the entrance and near the rear and sides. Perhaps she could use the smaller areas as storage space.

The center was where she would likely set up a fire and she looked at the roof again. The way it sloped may cause trouble with fire, and it didn't look like there was a hole to let out smoke either. Sighing she crossed her arms. She didn't want to stay if she could not keep a fire inside. Her thoughts went to a cave she had seen...but no, she was alone and she would make this work somehow. Moving again she tested the sides a bit, then went back outside. Perhaps she could make a hole of sorts if there was not a natural one. Though her skills were not perfect in such an area, she believed she could manage well enough.

411 words
Vera Zharkov
Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Ash
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:15 am

Lupus --> Optime | NPC: Einarr (+432)

Skadi let out a vicious snarl as she dove in closer, her teeth nipping the bear’s flank. Einarr let out a rumbling groan, whirling on her. His hooked claws missed cuffing her over the ears though as she leapt back out of his reach. She circled him, tail flagged high and sweeping back and forth in her amped up energy. The sparring session was as much training for herself as it was for Einarr, and she wasn’t about to let him off easy just because he had yet to tag her.

When she saw an opening, she took it. Einarr had predicted her harassing action though, and he snapped sharply on her. His teeth caught on her scruff, and he threw his paws around her in a grappling way. They tumbled in a heap of flailing limbs and noise down a slope, breaking apart from one another as they crashed at the bottom. Skadi was up quicker than her brother, and she bolted with a bark of laughter. She transformed as she went, giving the Whalstray some time to get his bearings and lope after her.

It was as she put distance between them that she noticed movement out of the corner of her eye. A figure of Optime shape—a woman of warm, fiery hues and with hair cropped short. Skadi paused, her chest heaving and causing puffs of exertion to billow out from her painting mouth. She adopted an alert stance as her shifting finished, bringing her to her two-legged form.

The woman was familiar, but, yet, was also not.

Einarr finally caught up to her, and he looked from Skadi to the distant figure. With a puff, he commented, “I’ve seen her before, I think. Around the Tora kid.” Tora had been one of the last pups born in the spring; his mother had been an outsider where the other pups’ mothers had been long-stablished members. Skadi and her siblings hadn’t interacted with him or his mother much, too busy in their own lives and lessons.

Not knowing who the woman was certainly wouldn’t do. Her mother had preached many things, and knowing one’s own packmates rated rather high. So, Skadi paced forward, moving to interact with the Mistwalker. Einarr followed closely at her side.

“Do you need any help?” She called out as the pair drew closer. The woman—an older-looking of doggish descent—looked like she was trying to figure out something, though, of what, Skadi couldn’t yet discern.

“We’re Einarr and Skadi,” the bear introduced.

Skadi Eklund

Songbird
Luperci And the serpent released its tail

POSTED: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:12 pm

Looking to the voices, her hand went to her whip as she saw the bear. Then it spoke, and she tilted her head slightly. Since when could a bear speak? Blue orbs went to the bear to the canine and she wondered what sort of trickery was pulled for such a thing. Had they asked if she needed help? Moving from her den she felt slightly invaded upon...but this was a pack. It had been so long since she had been part of a pack. For the longest time, it had just been her, and her husband, and whatever children were born until those children had left. Bringing her other hand to other hip, and right near her dagger, she gave a huge smile. "Help? Well...I was seeing if I could put a hole...for the smoke to leave out of" she motioned vaguely to her den.

"Perhaps, how is said...spruce up? Make like home? Da???" Vera looked between the two again, still uneasy about the bear being so close. At least if it decided to attack both her hands were near a weapon. Still, it might not attack since it had spoken and had made no move of violence yet. It may just be a...pet? There was time to figure it out. "I am Vera Zharkov, I came recently from the south, before that Russia. Yvonne is my daughter, you may have met her da?" Yvonne had always been good at making friends, and involving herself in events... Vera herself was pleasant enough, but it had been a long time for her to have to interact with more than just family. "I am...being new to pack. Is bear...friend?"

285 words
Vera Zharkov
Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Ash
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:47 am

NPC: Einarr (+454)

Sorry for the wait!

It seemed they had startled the woman, or, at least, their presence and approach made her uncomfortable. Raised by a fighter, they both recognized the reflexive action the adult made for her whip, saw the danger of the dagger sheathed at her him, and they both paused in their step. When neither were pulled out for use though, the siblings continued forward. Their pace was a little slower, however.

She spoke with a thick accent, they both realized immediately. Her words twisted funny on her tongue, her sentences choppy and disjointed like Glade’s broken High Speech was.

It sounded as if she had been in the midst of trying to craft a…chimney? It was the only thing that made the most sense to Skadi. Their home had a fireplace that had one, and so did quite a few of the other abandoned residences around Winterwynd, from what they’d discovered from their exploring. Without it, the family would have been forced to cook and keep their fire outside. Otherwise, the house would get all smoky.

Skadi’s glacier eyes shifted between the taller woman and what must have been her den. In-between, she couldn’t help but to notice the unease that seemed to emanate from the adult. Still young and a bit naïve, Skadi couldn’t quite figure out the source of the Mistwalker’s discomfort. Was it their being there? Her question? Or something else?

The woman eventually introduced herself as Vera. Her surname was an interesting one with its harsh consonance and strange, back-of-throat pronunciation. Neither Skadi nor Einarr knew where Russia was in the world beyond the Vale, however, the mention of a familiar name had the pair of them nodding.

“She’s Tora’s mom,” Einarr answered.

It was when Vera questioned about her brother that Skadi finally realized what the woman had been uneasy about before. Her face showed this realization too. “Einarr? Yeah, he’s my brother,” she reasoned casually. She put a hand on his head and ruffled the fur between his large, round ears. “He’s been with us and the pack since he was a little cub.”

Einarr ducked away from her hand and lazily swatted at her hand to make her stop. His dark eyes shifted back to Vera after giving an unamused glare at Skadi. “I won’t hurt you,” he reassured the woman genuinely.

Hands on her hips, Skadi let her attention flick to the home they’d spotted Vera fussing with just moments before. “Perhaps Einarr and I can help you with making a hole? I’m sure your den will feel a lot warmer if you could keep a fire going inside it.”

Skadi Eklund

Songbird
Luperci And the serpent released its tail

Dead Topics