Your heart wears knight armor

Falcon

POSTED: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:36 pm

OOC: Fist SSWM post, aaaaaaaaagh! <3 WC: 609

IC: Winter was fully upon them. The snow falling almost every night coating the lands in fresh white bringing a crisp newness to the morning when one stepped out first thing. Sedona admired the almost serene beauty of the icy wonderland and was almost loathe to disturb it as she shouldered her archery equipment, belted on her knife and shook out the shiver in her fur from the cold air. Standing on the front porch of her home, the Whitesage woman considered the path she wanted to take through the deep drifts. Today she was going out on a border patrol. Not her usual mode of operation, the cowgirl was still adjusting to the new routine. With the Ursarchon's new decree that the borders be strictly watched, everybody in the pack was taking on active border duty when they were able.

Stepping out into the cold, damp snow, Sedona headed down the lanes between the innermost Winterwynd homes which she'd worked all last year to help reinforce for her packmates. It was an accomplishment she was proud of. She'd made a contribution to the Vale which would be useful for many years to come. She liked being useful. Especially now more than ever. It kept her busy and out of her head. After the attack on her, the woman had become far more reclusive and hardened to the world. Where she was stubborn before, she was now taking that stubbornness to a risky level. The coydog would take to going out alone for days on end, where she'd not sleep or eat properly only to return home to worried family and friends, pass out for a day and do it all over again. She would avoid them when she was around, and otherwise could be seen violently practicing her archery behind her home. Something had changed in the pack Constructor. And it wasn't for the good.

Making her way quietly through the town and then out into the wilds of the Vale, Sedona began tracking towards one of the guard platforms she's constructed with Rialu's assistance weeks prior. It was one of many tree-bound stands erected to help serve as vantage points for any Valemen defending the borders. It would mark the beginning the vast circuit she'd be making around the territory. Things were eerily quiet, save for the soft crunch of her paw steps in the snow beneath her. Winter always had a way of hushing the usual hustle and bustle of life around. Prey was scarce and so far, any trouble along the Vale's borders had been too. But that didn't mean that the cowgirl wouldn't stay vigilant. Knocking an arrow to her bow, Sedona moved towards a particularly large tree that held a guard post. The platform was dusted in snow, but the over hanging branches above protected it from the bulk of the powdering. Smiling softly, the woman went to the ladder on the structure and began to climb it, the wood creaking softly beneath her weight.

Reaching the top, Sedona sighed and scanned out over the white landscape. There wasn't a whole lot to view at this time. She was still rather near Winterwynd, and smoke from some of the occupied homes could be seen just over the treetops. Looking farther out it was just a lot of silence, white and trees. This was pretty typical of her patrols. Not a lot of action. Moving around the other side of the platform, the Whitesage woman's green-yellow eyes continued searching the terrain. She would stay up in this tree for a little while longer before resuming her course along the borders and to the next platform.

POSTED: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 am

OOC :: Words→ 775

Falcon slipped on her cloak, the caribou fur warm against her back, and breathed a plume of mist out her front door. The air was getting colder by the day, an eventuality she was never quite prepared for. She was warmer than last year—she hadn’t had her new cloak or gloves then—but not warm enough; Falcon would have to stay busy for that.

And given that “busy” was basically her middle name, she’d find a way to manage.

A glint of light caught the Elkenfrey’s eye as she pulled her fur-lined hood up, her ears poking out through the top. Another glint, coming from a sheet of icicles on the edge of her roof; every time a ray of sunlight broke through the thick, gray clouds, it lined up with the ice. She reached up to snap an icicle off the edge of her roof, long and thin like an upside-down church spire; it crackled in her palm, going from clear to cloudy in an instant. ”Huh, that’s interesting,” Falcon murmured, passing it from one gloved hand to the other. ”I wonder…” She pulled Glitterdust from her hip and held the axe backward, gripping it near the blade. Then, with a curious smile, she tapped the largest icicle she could reach.

It cracked in three places and fell from her roof, shattering beside her stoop with a loud crash.

The Elkenfrey stared at the pile of ice shards for a moment. That was about what she’d been expecting, but she still felt a little let down. It couldn’t have brought the whole sheet down with it? Resheathing her axe, Falcon hopped down her front steps and landed in the fresh snow at the bottom; if she wanted to make it to the border and back before nightfall, she had to stop knocking down icicles.

The walk through Winterwynd’s cold, snow-covered streets was quiet, her neighbors either tucked inside their homes or scattered throughout the territory. Saga had tasked every able-bodied Mistwalker with patrolling the borders and sharpening their combat skills—and thankfully, most of them seemed to be taking the responsibility seriously. Falcon was no exception, having worked a basic training regimen into her daily schedule. It wasn’t quite as rigorous or effective as her one in Casa, but she also wasn’t sparring with trained knights every other morning; she just had packmates like Wally, the man who’d given himself a bloody nose swinging his staff around, to train with.

The memory would be funnier if it didn’t make her nervous.

As the green-eyed woman passed through the outskirts of town and into the forest beyond, she kept her eyes peeled for anything interesting. The last time she’d gone out on patrol, she’d found the back end of a rabbit. Only the back end of a rabbit; Falcon had pulled it from the snow expecting a whole carcass, but only its butt and legs remained. That had been… Weird. Weird and tasty.

Falcon spotted movement just below the canopy and slowed to a stop, her paws sinking into the fresh powder snow. Was that...? Yep, that was Sedona. Falcon hadn’t seen her in days, the older woman taking every opportunity to avoid her, and now she’d just… Stumbled upon her, sitting on one of the new guard platforms. The Elkenfrey couldn’t decide if that meant her luck was really good or really bad; all she knew was that Sedona hadn’t tried to run away yet.

”Good afternoon, Sedona,” Falcon said, trying to keep her enthusiasm to a reasonable level. She was already bracing herself for the woman’s departure, for an excuse that got the constructor out of the conversation before it began. ”I know you haven’t been in the mood for company lately, but I'm going to go patrol for a couple hours. Want to join me?” The offer was presented with a tilt of her head and a small smile. The Sedona Falcon knew would jump at the chance, forgoing the platform’s ladder and dropping down into the fresh powder snow as quickly as possible. This Sedona, the one whose yellow-green eyes seemed as dim as old coals, was harder to predict.

”If you get sick of me, we can even patrol in opposite directions—no questions asked.” Falcon’s smile strengthened at the joke, a hopeful look on her black and white face. Maybe Sedona would smile, too; maybe her eyes would light up like they used to and she wouldn't disappear again.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander
With great distinction, I carry on They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:38 pm

WC: 600

Staring out into the white, Sedona rested a paw on her knife. With a sigh, she leaned against the tree trunk as she surveyed the Vale from the raised vantage point. Her mind wasn't really fully focused on her task yet; the morning's cold still clinging to her bones and fogging her brain. She would perk up soon, she knew, but that meant she'd need to get moving. Yet, she was also content to just...get lost in her thoughts for a moment. Biting her lip, the Whitesage woman reveled in the memory of a snowy afternoon playing with her brothers and sisters on the ranch back home.

A small smile came to her maw as she remembered. Her brother Tucson had thrown a snowball at Phoenix, who had retaliated by throwing one at Sedona who in turn threw one at Safford who threw one at Payson who threw one at Tuscon and the fun really began. All out chaos erupted as the siblings got into a snowball fight that left them all laughing and panting and soaked from the snow. Sedona chuckled to herself, tail swishing as she came back to the present.

A chill wind whipped her hair about her scarred face, brushing against the gnarled wounds and reminded her where she was and of the attack. The smile was swiftly removed from her maw and replaced by a frown and she stood straight again, shifting her bow and quiver on her back and shivering before straightening her spine and staring hard out at the landscape once more. Stay alert. She was supposed to be on patrol. She was just about to turn to leave when she spotted the approaching form of her dear friend Falcon from the opposite direction she had been looking. Agh! This was why the platforms were meant for two people. To prevent ambush.

Sighing, she looked down as Falcon stopped below her. She greeted her with friendliness but Sedona could hear the reservation in her voice. Closing her eyes, the Constructor gave a small smile. Oh Falcon. She was always so sweet and caring and just wanted the best for everyone... Sedona sighed again and leaned over the side of the platform so she could be properly seen. "Howdy there Falcon." Her ears perked at the black and white Mistwalker's next offer. "Well, ah..." She rubbed the back of her neck. "What a coincidence. I'm on a patrol too. But I'm checkin' the platforms while I'm at it too. I'll go with ya, sure." She said honest and down to business. It wasn't enthusiastic and chipper like usual, but it was better than making some excuse to avoid contact with another person and remain alone wasn't it?

When Falcon continued, making a joke about getting sick of her company Sedona winced a little internally. Yeah. She'd definitely been ignoring her friends and family too much. She deserved this. "Falcon... She began looking down and folding her ears. "Hang on a minute." She then stood and went to the ladder on the platform, descending it as swiftly as possible without slipping. Hopping off the last two rungs, she stood in front of her friend. "Falcon. ...I promise, I won't push ya away anymore." Yellow-green eyes slowly meet blue ones. "I'm sorry I've been bein' so elusive lately. I've just... been all mixed up inside, 'n afraid. I think....I think I'm ready to talk now." She admitted with a weak smile and a little wag of her tail. "Can ya forgive me?" She asked softly and looked down again, unable to meet her closest friend's gaze.

POSTED: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm

OOC :: Words→ 498

The Elkenfrey swallowed a “howdy” of her own, not sure if it would be welcome, and listened to Sedona begrudgingly accept her invitation; apparently she was going on patrol, too. Falcon’s smile grew a little wider, feeling lucky that the constructor hadn’t turned her away. It was getting harder and harder to stand back and let Sedona sort herself out, but Falcon knew she couldn’t push the woman too far too soon.

Being attacked like that… she could barely imagine leaving her home after something so scary, much less throwing herself into her work like Sedona had.
It was like trying to imagine someone knocking her house down and then immediately building a shelter out of the rubble; she just wouldn’t have it in her.

The red-furred woman started to speak, Falcon’s name tumbling from her lips, but she ultimately told her to wait a minute as she climbed down. The Elkenfrey’s heart beat just a little bit faster in her chest, worrying she’d overdone it with her joke. The last thing she wanted to do was make her friend feel guilty, not when she was just protecting herself. The entire pack was worried about Sedona’s strange behavior and long absences; she didn’t need to be reminded that she’d been ignoring Falcon, too.

Instead of taking back what she’d said, Sedona promised not to push Falcon away again and apologized. The green-eyed woman laughed despite herself, equal parts happy and relieved. Could she forgive Sedona? The woman who’d fought a giant and survived? The best friend, role model, and mentor she’d ever had? What a ridiculous question; they hadn’t exactly stopped being best friends, as far as Falcon was concerned.

The Elkenfrey snorted again and nodded. ”I… I think I can forgive you Sedona, but only if you let me ask a question first.” Her words might have been worrying, if not for her warm smile and wagging tail. ”Can I have a hug? You don’t have to say yes, I just… Just being able to ask is enough for me.” Falcon opened her arms wide and grinned at her friend; she wouldn’t ask if she didn’t think she had a fair shot, something she’d have doubted a moon ago.

Once the Elkenfrey received her long-awaited hug, she turned toward the border with a thoughtful hum and a tilted head. ”I went… Southeast from the northern border on my last patrol, starting at the western edge of Noxweald and ending just past Blueglass. You have a few platforms toward the Mire, right? We could go in the opposite direction I went, toward Camp Gagetown,” Falcon suggested. She avoided wading through the swamps and into the mudflats during most of the year, but some of it froze solid over the winter; with a big stick and a bit of time, they wouldn’t fall into any icy muck.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander
With great distinction, I carry on They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm

WC: 304

Sedona felt absolutely awful for her behavior as of late. Even if nobody else blamed her for it, she still felt bad for hiding herself away from her family and friends. Seeing falcon tiptoe around her like this only made it more obvious that she'd been dodging the company of her loved ones too long. The Whitesage woman had her reasons, sure, for secluding herself, but those days were over now, she promised herself. She wouldn't be pushing anyone away anymore.

Tense, as if she was a pup awaiting a scolding from her mother, Sedona waiting for Falcon's response to her apology. She didn't know what to expect from her best friend. Anger certainly, disappointment too. But not pure forgiveness and happiness. Looking up, ears perking forward, the coydog's maw slowly split into a grin as Falcon spoke, saying she could easily forgive her as long as she received a hug. Sedona sighed with relief and laughed, tail beginning to wag. "Of course you can!" She said and immediately stepped forward, opening her arms to embrace Falcon warmly.

As she held her dearest friend close, Sedona felt some tears pricking at her eyes and did her best not to allow them to fall. It felt really nice to feel the comfort of arms around her like this. Falcon was such a sweet, generous soul. Sedona felt blessed to have such an amazing person in her life. Finally releasing the other Mistwalker, the Constructor smiled softly again as Falcon plotted their next course along the borders. Nodding Sedona shifted her archery equipment on her back. "Sounds good to me. We'll just have to mind the bogs and stuff. Don't wanna get stuck out there." She chuckled. "Lead the way honey. She wagged her tail and gestured with a paw in the general direction of Gagetown.

POSTED: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 pm

[+332]
Clipped wings, I was a broken thing

Sedona waved her on, and Falcon started walking. ”Getting stuck probably isn’t a great idea,” she said, forging a path that—in her mind—would take them around the worst of the mudflats. It was warmer than the last time she’d tried to cross them, but she trusted her and Sedona’s combined senses; if they worked together, they probably wouldn’t get stuck in an ice cold bog. ”But if I fell in, you could always rescue me.” Falcon threw her arms out theatrically and grinned back at Sedona. ”I’m pretty useless in the cold, so I’d make a great damsel in distress.” She wasn’t anymore, but the joke was still as funny to her as when she had been.

They weaved between snow-covered trees and through smooth, white clearings for a while, chatting idly as they went. Falcon felt invigorated by the wind at her back. With a skip in her step, she scanned the trunks for any sign of Sedona’s guard posts; there had to be one around here somewhere, because she’d hopped up and eaten lunch on it a few days ago. ”Sedona, you do have a platform out here, right? Because I’m not seeing it.” Maybe Falcon was mistaken; it was hard to tell one bunch of trees from another when they were all bare, especially out here.

The Elkenfrey frowned and looked around again. It was a light brown wooden platform with a ring of snow on top—why couldn’t she find it? Before she could turn around and throw in the proverbial towel, something strange caught her eye between a pair of thick, older trees. The platform had been knocked askew somehow, its ladder lying flat in the snow. ”Well shit, that’s not good,” she muttered, staring at the damaged guard post.

Maybe a moose hit it; it was a little bit out there for a first guess, but Falcon was sticking with it.

Had a voice, had a voice but I could not sing
template by veldt, image by @szmigieldesign
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander

Dead Topics