focus on what you are doing

POSTED: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 pm

[WC: 475]

For Salena with Zuri. Drakehund Tier I Challenge.

He had waited patiently above the shore for hours, certain that his decision was the correct one. With winter upon them Bennett was restricted by his size – it was harder for him to get around on four legs, and though his little weight made certain ice crossings possible, against bigger drifts the going was rough. If Hobb was bigger he'd be able to have the horse plow through the snow, but as it was now his father had not allowed Bennett to ride the young animal.

Soon, the promise was, like that was the magic word. He had asked Symre before about these things in a half-joking way, but learned a few. They were little, whispered sayings. Bennett didn't really believe in them, but he humored his friend and enjoyed knowing supposed-secrets.

Hunting wasn't about magic. It was experience, patience, and luck. Bennett possessed all three this day, and when the beaver finally waddled out into the open, he shot it in the head.

Pleased by his clean kill, Bennett hopped down into the cold mud. He had figured out what sort of prey best suited him – smaller things, especially. Killing a deer would be harder, and he was certain anything larger would not be felled by one arrow alone. That was part of what made ranged attacks dangerous. If he couldn't take down his opponent, there was a chance they could get to him.

The sword would help with that, of course, but he didn't carry the thing around when he was within the Vale. He was aware that strangers were testing their borders, but thus far, there had been nothing truly out of place.

After the attacks in the weeks before, they needed to be careful.

Having decided to seek direction from the Head of his House, Bennett had gone after a gift that would be appropriate. He wanted to show Zuri that he was capable of helping, even if he remained removed from the larger hustle and bustle of the pack. This too, was a matter of safety.

Though no expert butcher, Bennett was capable of gutting his kill. He used the sharp edge of his arrow to do so, and made further use of his own hands to carefully remove the worst pieces of the carcass. These were dumped back into the water where fish and other creatures would undoubtedly feast upon them. Bennett washed the gore from his hands until they were clean.

From here, he bundled the dead beaver into a large sack. Satisfied with his offering, Bennett quickly went looking for the Risegard. The cold air would help keep the meat from spoiling, but he wanted to get it to her while as fresh as possible. Beaver meat wasn't very fatty, but it was a large meal – more than enough for her family, he thought.

« ∙ when the wind blows, the grass bends ∙ »
avatar art: songbird | signature art: despi
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mel
Luperci
anger is a gift
dig two graves
live free or die

POSTED: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:30 pm

I prefer dangerous freedom
Over peaceful slavery

OOC: +300 words.

The weather outside was proving to be more troublesome than she would have hoped, though that feeling seemed to be rather one sided. When it came to her so called daughter, whom had grown much bigger for a pup of her age, was eager to get outside. After all, she was still young, and her attention was drawn to the season she had yet to experience. She was probably the same when she was younger, so she couldn't fault the child too much.

If anything, her growing frustration in Callisto was something much more personal. If only she had looked more like her husband than the demon that birthed her. It would have made things so much easier.

Giving in to her better judgement, the Risegard agreed to take Callisto out. With her growing age, she could probably see much more clearly the distance Zuri put between herself and the child that seemed to try clinging so closely to her. She didn't fully understand why her mother would be acting this way... almost in a way that she didn't want anything to do with the young one. She always pushed it away, trying to keep herself positive. All things considered, she seemed to have a lot of things going for her. She still had her whole loving family, her father and sisters.

Why let one bag thing get her down so much?

The pale woman kept her eyes barely enough to follow the movements of the great dane, watching the way she pranced through the snow. Her gaze moved up, noticing a patch of earth moving among the white ground. He had been around before, once when her actual daughters had been born. There seemed to be something in his arms, but couldn't see what it was.

Lowering her head slightly, she called out to the man, "Bennett. Heading somewhere?"

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:52 pm

[WC: 320]

The going's on of his superior was not any of Bennett's business. As far as he was concerned, the arrival of the puppy – now sprouting into a lanky thing that would undoubtedly outgrow him like everybody else – was one of those “don't ask” situations. It would be rude, and it wasn't his place to pry. He wasn't about to go making trouble when he was keenly aware of his own sordid past.

Finding them together made it vastly apparent that this new child was not Zuri's own. She was too young, too different. She hadn't been there when the other two were born.

Bennett remembered this. He was smart enough to keep his mouth shut on the matter.

Hey! He barked back, flagging the pair down with a wave of his hand. Bennett could carry the hefty sack with one hand, but showed his preference for both soon enough.

When they had gotten closer, he grinned, delighted with his good luck.

Yeah, I was lookin' for you actually! See, I figured with you being busy with everything I might be able to help out with some, since you've got a lot going on, he wagged his shaggy tail.

Truthfully, he had contributed very little to the Vale despite his promises to do so. He hunted and patrolled, sure, but he was just as often missing without anyone knowing where he went. He demanded his freedom, and they had to understand that – they had named him a Hawkesond, after all. If he did not make his way doing as he pleased then he would be unsatisfied with his life. It was a selfish way to live, but being selfish would keep him alive.

I cleaned it up a little, and I got all the stuff that needed to come out outta it, he explained, and then thrust his hands forward to present the slightly-bloody bag to Zuri.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mel
Luperci
anger is a gift
dig two graves
live free or die

POSTED: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Over peaceful slavery

OOC: +300 words.

Callisto hadn't been paying too much attention to things around hr, her focus being on so many other things that winter had to offer her. Such was the life of one that was still growing up. It wasn't until she had turned around to notice that her mother had walked off that she began to search around her. She noticed that the pale woman was talking to someone, someone she had never seen before, but must have been part of the Vale with how casually she was speaking to him.

With a bounce in her step, she made her way over to her pale mother, giving the strange male a smile. She was only granted a small glance from the woman at her side before turning her undivided attention to Bennett.

Her head turned down to the gift that was offered to her, the man explaining he had wanted to help since she was undoubtly busy. That was one way to put it. Between the winter, raising the child sitting at her feet, and dealing with the linger thought of threats on their borders, it would be nice to have something for all her efforts. No, that was a bit too selfish of a thought. The Vale on the whole was more important, and was the one more than willing to take on all the extra work passed down to her.

Examining over the bag, she moved one hand to gesture the Hawkesond to come along with him, "Would you like to come to my home? We can make a nice meal with this. You've already done most of the work already."

"We're going home already? We just got out here."

Callisto felt a sharp gaze turn on her, almost making her quiver in place from the view alone. Zuri's voice was a little stern, probably more than it needed to be, "No one is making you come with me. I was talking to Bennett."

"Oh.. umm.. I'm.. I'm going to stay out here for a while longer."

"Very well.

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:00 pm

[WC: 335]

Being selfish himself, Bennett understood ways to make it look like he was helping. Zuri would remember him doing this, sure, and when he said he was off on patrols or hunting why wouldn't they believe him?

He didn't always lie, and usually he brought things back, but he was just as likely to run off when the weather suited him. There was so much open land around them to explore, and all sorts of curious places between here and the eastern city or the big lakes up north. Even Freetown wasn't far, though Bennett didn't like going across the river all that much when winter was upon them.

Yeah if you're offerin', that would be nice, he said. Bennett wasn't about to turn down a meal. Besides, it would have been rude to turn down an offer from his superior. He sure didn't want to make it look like he didn't care (or worst, didn't want her cooking).

The fluffy wolfdog looked from the albino to her supposed-daughter. The ripple of tension between them had not passed Bennett unawares, but he did his best to pretend he had seen nothing. If he ignored these signs of dysfunction he wouldn't need to ask about them, or stick his nose where he wasn't wanted.

He moved after Zuri, following her as she began walking back the way she had come. She was, after all, the one in charge. Since he wanted to impress his goodwill upon her, doing what she asked seemed like the best way to ensure he left a proper impression.

I can help with whatever, Bennett told Zuri as he followed after her. He thought to ask if she wanted him to carry the food, but now that he had turned it over he thought it might be unnecessary. Besides, it wasn't like the older woman wasn't capable of carrying a few pounds of meat. I'm not really good at cooking, he warned her. But I know how to start fires pretty fast.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mel
Luperci
anger is a gift
dig two graves
live free or die

POSTED: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 pm

Over peaceful slavery

OOC: +200 words.

Growing tension seemed to be the only thing she had with her adopted daughter these days, but there was nothing that could really be done about that on either end. It wasn't like there was anything Callisto could do to make herself look less like the mother that spawned her, and there was nothing the Risegard could do to qwell the bitter hate in her heart because of it. She wasn't sure if time would do anything to help either. She wanted to keep pushing her away, but the child kept trying to cling closer and closer.

She was silently pleased when the great dane told her mother that she wanted to stay outside longer rather than go home. It would let her take her mind off things and see how her own house was doing, or at least someone in her house.

Bennett had been quick to take her up on her offer, and now that the problem was dealt with, there was nothing keeping her from guiding him back to her home. Crimson gaze peered over her shoulder to the male following along after her. He was quick to warn her that he was not great at cooking, something that she could make up for in teaming together with this task.

Pushing open the door, she allowed Bennett to step inside first, following in behind him. She gestured towards her dining area, offering her hands out to the meat he had been carrying the whole way, "Why don't you get a fire started and I'll take care of preparing this further. I'll make us a simple stew with it."

Zuri Acidic-Trombetta

Mistfell Vale
Risegard
Salena
Luperci Mate to Baelish

POSTED: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:38 pm

[WC: 310]

Sure, that sounds good, Bennett said. It didn't seem smart to disagree with his host. Besides, stew suggested something meaty and warm – and he was opportunistic and always eager to find cooked food. The Vale were the only people he could properly trust, or so his father said. Bennett counted Symre among the number, given how freely she had opened her own truth to him.

There was a divide in age between himself and his peers. Without his twin he felt adrift, and had indeed been swept up in waves of revenge. The consequences haunted his thoughts every so often, but the longer things went on the easier it was for Bennett to ease up on his concerns. He was trying to make something of himself here, after all, now that he was thinking about things greater than himself (sometimes).

He wanted to be someone of importance, in a way, though he was almost irrationally afraid of being thrust into any spotlight. His name made him a target. What he had done made him a combatant. There was nothing left to do but prepare for violence, just as the Vale itself was doing. They would rise to face an outside threat together.

Familiar with Zuri's home, Bennett made his way inside and towards the fireplace. Someone had piled a collection of sticks and cut wood nearby, and Bennett set about stacking these and starting the fire. As he stoked it into life, the wolfdog turned his head to keep his nose out of the smoke and ash.

How's your family doing? Everyone all good? Bennett asked. Then, once he had gotten the logs crackling, Bennett stood upright and brushed his hands clean on his thighs. When he looked back over at Zuri, he flashed a toothy smile. How about your bats? Do they sleep when it's this cold out?

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mel
Luperci
anger is a gift
dig two graves
live free or die

Mistfell Vale