I knew the pathway like the back of my hand

Posey

POSTED: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 am

[MV] Drakehund I wrote:“Complete a thread in which your character gives a packmate a gift.”

Optime | Winterwynd (Posey’s home/den); late afternoon (+323)

The winter season only felt like it was getting colder the longer it drew on. They were in deep winter now, her mother had said. There would be many more days of cold and snow before it got warm again. It wasn’t like Skadi minded too much though; her winter coat thwarted off most of the cold. She was young and healthy though. For some, those days had long since passed.

Hot puffs of air clouded before her nose as Skadi took quick, information-gathering sniffs. She readjusted the package of sorts that she’d been hugging close to her chest. Her brothers had been too shy and embarrassed to come with her, so, it had been up to her to deliver the goods to their recipient. Their defensive, mumbled excuses had been enough for the Eklund daughter to roll her eyes at them as she had walked out the door. Boys.

She didn’t think there was anything to be embarrassed about. It was a gift to their grandmother—of sorts. It wasn’t like it was something super sentimental or anything to another girl. They had already dug their feet in though, and no amount of arguing, name calling, or taunting could make the brothers budge. Whatever.

Catching the scent she had been looking for, Skadi padded onward until she saw the familiar tree that marked the elder Elkenfrey’s den. “Grandma Posey?” Skadi called out hopefully. She shifted the bundle of furs in her arms to pull some of her dark hair away from her face. “Are you home?”

Skadi took a sniff. If Lyric was around, she supposed she could leave the gift with her, however, some part of Skadi wanted it to be Posey that she handed it off to. It just felt more…special that way. And, perhaps too, she wanted to see Posey’s face when she saw what the siblings had made for her.

Skadi Eklund

Songbird
Luperci And the serpent released its tail

POSTED: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:23 pm

Many assumptions in this post lol :')

510 words

Dead, crinkled flower petals and tufts of shed fur littered the floor of the den, stirring faintly with the cold air that filtered through the place. Though it was warmer than the snowy outdoors, the den's construction – brick and stone naturally fallen into place against that foundation log, patched by Luperci hand – allowed the elements to touch the inside, much like a drafty cabin. This was comforting to Posey most of the time, circulating fresh air and scents of weather and nature, but in the depth of winter, it made the den just cold enough to be uncomfortable.

This was not a problem most of the time, because the body heat of a second wolf – usually Lyric, though Pipaluk stayed nights when the scout was gone – kept Posey warm. They couldn't always be around, however, and so today Posey slept alone, a ball of off-white fur with nose pressed into bushy tail, shivering. Her bones didn't have as much meat on them as they used to, and her once-gorgeous pelage was uneven and thin, so each brisk little breeze sliced into her.

She tried so hard not to sleep by herself, to stay active and play in the snow and keep busy with the puppies, but she tired out quickly.

And her bad dreams were coming back with the cold.

The young, feminine voice coaxed her gently from a wall of white, and her ears swiveled atop her head before it lifted. She unfolded her knobbly legs and shook herself before wagging her tail and trotting to the den entrance.

Hello there, li'l rabbit killer! the elder woofed. She approached with the intention of licking Skadi's hands in greeting, but they were occupied with a bundle of pelts. She eyed them with a proud grin, as of yet unaware that they might be a gift or contain one. Well you musta hunted all those yerself!

The girl who so much resembled a more silver-hued version of her mother seemed to have inherited Ragna's skillset, too, though Posey wasn't out and about enough to have seen it in practice. She believed the best of the youngsters she looked after, anyway, confident that they were adept unless they confided in her otherwise.

With a sniff of the bundle, she amended, Or with your brothers. How're they? While she was unsurprised that Sindri hadn't come along (he seemed more independent), she was used to Einarr shadowing Skadi. Though it had taken some getting used to – Posey had accepted the bear cub easily enough in the end, helped that his kind was less threatening to a wolf than his northwestern cousins.

She hooted sudden laughter. Oh, lookit me, I'm just chatterin' away like a sparrow. Come here sit down, roof's a too li'l short t' come on inside, I'm 'fraid. It's always such a bother – now d'ya reckon I oughta get one o' them porches for guests? She sat down almost primly and looked to Skadi.

Mistfell Vale
DEAD
Raze
Luperci With Great Distinction

POSTED: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:06 am

(+680)

Perfect! <333

The scent of Posey was strong and fresh. Skadi was sure that the old wolf was around, or, if she wasn’t, she had only recently left. Already, the teen’s glacier eyes searched the snow around the mouth of the den, looking for any signs that she might have just missed her grandmother. She needn’t look far though. A sudden stirring from within the den drew her attention back, and, a moment later, the familiar face of Posey appeared from within it.

Her coat was as patchy as ever—something her mother said was because of the wolf’s old age—and her smile and golden gaze were as warm as they’d always been. “Grandma!” Skadi greeted cheerfully, quickly kneeling down to the Elkenfrey’s level. She leaned out to lick at Posey’s maw, shuffling the bundle in her arms once more so she could gently brush out a patch of loose fur near Posey’s cheek.

She couldn’t help but to laugh at the old nickname. She had been too young to remember the reason behind it, but, the stories her mother and Glade told made her wish she could. She glance down briefly at the bundle she held, shaking her head. “Not all by myself,” she denied, her lips curling into an impish smile as she amended, “Though, I did do most of the work.”

A sigh escaped her when Posey asked about her brothers. “They’re fine. They were too embarrassed to come out here with me today though,” she grumbled, her ears pulling back against her hair in her mild irritation with her siblings. They had been so eager to pitch in with the gift, so excited as they had daydreamed what their grandmother might think of it. When it had finally come to give the item of their labors though, they had chickened out.

She’d known too, because the two cowards had peaked out the window of the house after she’d left. They had quickly hidden beneath the window frame when she’d turned around to glare at the house—and them.

Posey’s laughter brought the Eklund girl out of her frustrated thoughts of her brothers, and she smiled, vanquishing the thought of biting their ears later for their yellow-bellied actions. She looked around on the ground around them, choosing a spot that was next to her grandmother and covered more with dirt than with snow. “My brothers and I could help you,” Skadi offered as she readjusted her hold on the bundle of furs. “We could maybe enlist the others too? Zelda and Zansa, Tora, Callisto, maybe even Bennett?” All of the younger generations. She looked above them with a considerable glance. “With Whitesage’s help, it’d be easy.”

Smiling, she turned her attention to the gift she’d brought. “We can discuss that later though. Do you want to see the gift I brought, Grandma?” Skadi could hardly contain her excitement as she began to unfold the furs.

In the middle of the outer layer of furs was another package, this one wrapped in thin leathers with various, amateur knife marks in it. The holey package was held closed with twine. The package smelt strongly of dried, salted meat. Skadi placed this aside though, unfurling the furs completely and holding them out for Posey to see.

It looked like a sweater that could be worn in maybe Lupus form, as it was too small for the broader chest or shoulders of Secui or Optime. It was made out of a patchwork of different rabbit furs that were sewn together with sinew. Four holes were cut, one for the neck, two for the front legs, and another for the actual body. It wasn’t perfect, but it had been something the three siblings had worked hard and together on for weeks.

“Mom says it’ll be a few months until all this snow melts, and we know it’s hard for you to shift between forms, so, we thought this might keep you warm.”

Skadi Eklund

Songbird

POSTED: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Posey's tail dusted the snow behind her as Skadi crouched to kiss her muzzle and brush fingers gently through the tufty fur of her cheek. Fondness and gratitude warmed her honey-brown gaze, which flicked away briefly in something like abashment. Why, sometimes she felt like she didn't deserve all the love her "grandkids" gifted her with, especially when they were all grown up. She appreciated it, though, and would never take it for granted.

Not ever.

She chuckled when Skadi divided the credit fairly (if not evenly) between herself and her siblings. Bright girl. She rolled her eyes, but lightly, when she mentioned her brothers and their embarrassment. Embarrassed t' be seen with me? she gasped, but her ever-smiling eyes and wagging tail made clear her jest. I'll have t' remind 'em what real embarrassment is. Now, what cutesy nicknames could she come up with for the next time she spotted them in public?

She blinked in surprise when Skadi contemplated a "porch" project, having spun the idea out of her usual inane babbling, but hearing the list of the youngsters' names made her smile again. What had she done to deserve this?

A gift? Posey echoed, and gawked at the unfolding furs.

Her nostrils flared as she caught the odor of nice, dried meat, and she would have been content with that, but Skadi revealed another layer of pelts and held the final product up. A little rabbit-fur blanket, Posey thought at first, and cocked her head at the number of odd-sized holes in it, already resolving to ignore the mistakes and fawn over what the Eklund children had made regardless.

Skadi explained, and Posey frowned, standing and coming closer. She stuck her head thoughtfully into the largest hole, then it dawned on her what this was – clothes! And something nice and warm made for her Lupus form! She barked in delight, shoving her head in through the neck hole, the whole ensemble bunched around her neck since she hadn't slipped her forelegs in yet. But, with a burst of youthful energy, she zoomed in a bouncing off-kilter gait away from the den, and pranced back, wheezing laughter. How's it look? Do I pull it off, ya reckon?

Mistfell Vale
DEAD
Raze
Luperci With Great Distinction

POSTED: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 pm

(+429)

XDD That Rottie! We could probably wrap this up with my next post unless you just want to keep going! :3

Skadi’s lips curled into an impish grin at Posey’s scheming. She had not an ounce of sympathy for her two brothers for what was to come their way. She’d given them a chance, had tried to get them to come along, but they’d refused and argued with her. This was ideal payback, and there would be no repercussions from her mother either. Perfect. “Yes! Please do!” A giggle escaped her at the image of it, their grandmother calling the boys by some embarrassing name in front of the other kids or in front of a new Crowstooth.

That would teach them.

She smiled a secret smile when she saw—and heard—Posey’s nose twitch at the package of dried meat. Hopefully, the old wolf would like the jerky pieces. Her mother had had to help the children make them, as the first batch they’d tried on their own had been overly seasoned with salt to the point that they’d had to try to wash off the jerky first before they could attempt to stomach it. Or, be like Einarr, and just gulp it down before the overly salty flavor could settle on the tongue. This batch, according to Glade, was much more palatable.

It’d make for a good snack when Posey didn’t want to leave the warmth of her den, or to satiate her hunger between meals. She wasn’t sure how often Lyric or Pipaluk came around, and, with it being winter, she worried that Posey might go a little longer between eating something more than just a lean rabbit.

As for the sweater, Skadi was worried at first when she saw the frown on the old wolf’s lips. Did she know what it was? Or had it been so poorly made that she couldn’t tell? It took a second until it finally seemed to dawn on her what it was that the Eklund children had crafted. She shoved her head through the fur sweater, and Skadi couldn’t help but to laugh to see it bunched up around her neck like some sort of scarf or shemagh like her mother wore.

Skadi couldn’t help but to laugh as Posey bounded off like she was three or four years younger than what she was. “Perfect, Grandma! I think you just discovered a second way to wear it.” She motioned for the Elkenfrey to come back to her as her laughter died off a little. “Come here, I’ll help you wear it how Sindri intended it.”

Skadi Eklund

Songbird

Dead Topics