tongue-tied and twisted

POSTED: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:13 am

Optime form 176

by Raze

Dorcas was sitting close to the mansion with a felled tree branch across her lap. She held a carving knife in one hand and used the other hand to keep it in place. She was stripping the bark from the wood, and sweeping the bark shavings into an open satchel to her right. The wood beneath was a shade of light red, almost orange, and a darker red-brown in the inner layer of bark.

Her crutch was placed nearby, should she need it, alongside a stack of felled wood. Most of it looked to be branches or maybe saplings, not tree trunks; she'd instructed Oliver to avoid felling large trees until she had built her leg and was able to show him how to do it properly. In truth, though, she never intended to teach him such a thing; that was something she'd do herself when it came time.

The sky was wet and rainy, but from the cover of the porch, Dorcas was dry. She hummed while she worked, a song she'd heard while traveling.

Last edited by Dorcas de le Poer on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

As of April 1st, Dorcas is covered in burn scars.

Shemonster

POSTED: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:28 am

NEX DE LE POER
run wild and never look back
Form | Time | Location
This is where you would write something out of character.
WORD COUNT

Once again he was free of his daughter. And again he'd entrusted her to Molca. Medeia was growing more distant by the day and Nex knew that within a fortnight she would be gone. He couldn't wait to see the back of her. Aside from what was vital she did nothing for the girl and served purpose only as an ugly reminder of Nex's sins.

Free time was a rare thing nowadays. Even though his body (and mind, to some extent) had recovered from the war, he hadn't been hunting. At least not proper hunting, by his own standards. Nor had he found much time for his more artistic passions. Skulls and paints were left unused upon the craggy shelves and tables within his cavern. At about midday he'd hastily gathered a few bits and pieces to occupy himself.

Idly he made his way over to the mansion. While he didn't live there it was a regular haunt of his. He preferred the isolation that the caverns offered him, but he was by no means unsociable. Maroon eyes spotted the unfamiliar form on the porch and his curiosity peaked. Uttering a soft, 'Hey, mind if I take a seat?' he approached.

Template by Andi, image by j.r.trauben, edited by Vida

POSTED: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 am

[000]

Dorcas stopped her carving, and gestured to a place beside her with the knife still in hand. A moment later, and she'd actually looked up to see who it was. A familiar face, from the trial and execution - though she'd not actually bothered to catch his name. "I am Dorcas," she said.

As she looked at him, memories resurfaced: he'd been carrying a pup with a wolfish appearance before handing it off to the servile coyote she'd come to know as Molca; it was likely just the creature Osprey had tried to kill. Dorcas was not certain how she felt about the man's obvious sin (he had to have fornicated with a wolf, after all) but she knew the pup didn't deserve the abuse.

She had spoken for Osprey's execution, and had gone to watch it herself when the trial was over - she'd be a hypocrite if she spoke for someone's death, and then did not watch what her words had led to. The sight had not caused her to feel regret or remorse, and so she had assumed that it had been the right decision.

None of these thoughts were voiced, though. Dorcas turned her gaze on the branch across her lap, and resumed stripping it of bark. "I've seen you before, but I do not recall your name. I am... new here."

---

Shemonster

POSTED: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Maroon eyes examined the woman casually. A soft brown coloured her body for the most part, a darker shade took up her face nape with a sliver of russet atop her head. A missing limb, he averted his eyes awkwardly away before retraining them again on her hands. A carving knife between dark digits. An artist like himself. Dorcas, she had introduced herself.

'Nex' he said, lowering himself down to sit. 'Nex de le Poer'. He sat awkwardly for a moment without a conversation topic in mind, his mouth slightly ajar as he considered sutible topics. His eyes once again fell to knife in her hands and thought it a safe bet. 'What're y' carvin'?' he asked, gesturing with his russet marked maw.

POSTED: Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 pm

[000]

"De le Poer, she repeated, and set aside her knife. She was, again, looking him up and down. All coyote, she noted, which made his choice of sin much more inexplicable to her. "We share a last name. We must be cousins; my side of the family is from Scintilla. You haven't seen either of my siblings - Ariel or Zibah, by chance?" She wasn't looking for them - they weren't lost; they were supposed to have returned back to Scintilla long ago after a year of 'seasoning' in Inferni - but she was curious about what they'd done and gotten up to since their departure. Had they changed as she had?

She gestured to her lap, where the branch was sitting when she addressed his question. "The bark is red. I was hoping I might crush it up and make it into something that could be used as a dye or stain for wood. The wood itself might become a box. Or, many spoons. I've done a lot of spoons lately." The words felt clumsy and awkward to her, though her voice didn't change from its flat affect. Dorcas paused for a moment, to gather her thoughts, and to consider what she ought to say next.

"...What do you do?" She decided on, at last. He had an interest in what she was working on, apparently, so perhaps he had skills in woodworking - or perhaps he wanted to learn (she'd have made a poor teacher, she thought) or perhaps he had an interest in a similar subject. This was enough to make her curious.

---

Shemonster

POSTED: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:38 pm

BOYD PARKER
run wild and never look back
Form | Time | Location
This is where you would write something out of character.
sdfghk short and crappy post sorry <3

'Ain't heard of 'em' he said, after a moment of consideration. 'I ain't been here too long' the dusky male admitted. Nor had he been paying too much attention, something he intended to right at some point in the future. 'I like red,' Nex chimed in suddenly, 'S'good colour'. His favourite in fact. Red was the colour of blood, but he didn't feel the need to point out such an obvious fact, or such a potentially telling one at that. 'A box would be better'. Not that spoons weren't, but there was such a thing as too many of course.

'I paint' he said simply, 'Sometimes I make things with wood. Big things, not spoons. Not too good at it just yet though'. Nex had been practicing, but with a small child to care for it was tricky finding time to perfect this or any craft.

Template by Andi, image by j.r.trauben, edited by Vida

POSTED: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:12 am

[000]

"Oh," was all she said, on the subject of her brother and sister. She didn't know whether she ought to be unhappy or not. It had been a long, long time since she'd seen her family and she still had no idea what to think of them. Maybe, maybe, just a little, she missed them.

"I'll keep that suggestion in mind. I suppose it would make a more valuable trade item, if I ever get around to traveling outside of Inferni." She was in vague agreement that she had too many spoons already, though the only reason she had so many in the first place was due to how much scrap wood she had - if it could be made into anything else, perhaps she might have done it that way. Though, perhaps she could have made them into knife handles...

That train of thought ended when he mentioned what he did. Her ears straightened, perked with interest, when he mentioned his own woodworking enterprises. "Oh? What have you made? And do you paint your work? I've not done anything too fancy with mine, it's all just one solid color."

She was eager to see another craftsman's work.

---

Shemonster

POSTED: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:35 am

sorry it's short and icky~ i've been ridic busy these past few weeks ;-;

'Uh...' the dusky man pondered, frowning slightly, 'Chairs an' stuff usually. Furniture'. His hands delved into his satchel, pulling out the object that took up the most space. The wolf skull was bleached almost pure white, and thin, delicate patterns had been carved upon the surface. 'Ah don' paint th' furniture, just seal it and polish it. But ah paint these'.

He lifted the skull towards Dorcas, 'Ah'm carvin' it first, then I'm gon' colour it and put it up on't borders'. Nex paused, 'That's what ah do, not o'fficially yet though... Can't do too much wi' Lis running riot'

Dead Topics