I hear you turning your thoughts off

[P; Cartier]

POSTED: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:46 am

[349] Hope this is alright! :>

Saut slipped out into the night with an empty stomach and an empty mind.

Amber sights searched the darkness for signs of the great black bird. It had awakened him with a low crrk, just outside Kaena's window, and unable to fall back asleep hungry he'd accepted a restless night and padded softly on four paws past his Gramma's sleeping form and into the hallway. Another, softer crrk outside sped his steps, but the offending raven was gone by the time he got outside.

Yawning, the slender hybrid trotted east toward the moors. He took an ill-used path, ducking beneath the occasional fallen tree and leaping over treacherous puddles of mud that were only half-frozen, now, since the weather was getting warmer. After a while he paused to scratch at an old scab behind his ear, and two caws captured his attention. His paw remained in the air as he finally caught sight of its origin – not one, but three ravens – perched in the branches of a bare tree to his right.

He couldn't tell if any of them was the same creature that had brought him out in the first place. Annoyed, he was about to continue on his way when one of them croaked in clear, recognizable high speech, “Dead one. Tough. Up there!” Saut wasn't normally compliant, but he moved up the hill he assumed the bird was referring to. There was too much sleep in his limbs to allow any success in hunting.

At the base of a tree he found an old doe, half-rotted and tough, as promised. Saut listened for the sound of black wings alighting on the ground near him and then tore into it.

He'd eaten his fill within minutes, and left the rest of the carcass to the dark trio. Licking his nose and chin, the lanky Sciens slipped back onto a path, better-used than the other. He was no longer sleepy, so instead of turning back to the Village he headed towards the Grotto dei Avernus, instead, to wash the crimson from his otherwise monochrome fur.

POSTED: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:50 am

318 Words; It's fine, sorry for my slow.

Sleep had been evading the leading male lately, and this was simply another night of just that. Cartier eased his way out of the furs when he realized that this would be yet another night where sleep wouldn't be accomplished. That didn't mean that he could be lazy and accomplish nothing though, instead he would make use of the extra hours that he was awake for. He would try again the next night to see if sleep would come to him. He simply viewed this as an earlier than usual start to his day.

Cartier decided that a quick pass along the borders would be just the thing to help rouse his mind and force it to focus and so he made his way from the Mansion and headed out to make his way towards the borders in order to start on his circuit. The male yawned and shook himself against the chill that remained in the air as he stepped outside. He shifted from his Optime form into his Secui form so that he could cover the distance fairly easily.

Even though he started for the borders sleeps still clung to the edges of his mind. He found himself not as focused as he should be and so he decided to divert himself once more. Perhaps a dip in the hot springs would serve to better wake him up, get rid of the chill that clung to his very bones. Maybe if he could warm up then he would be more awake and focused. It sounded reasonable enough, plus it wouldn't seem like he was slacking.

Another yawn escaped as Cartier loped along his diverted path. as he got closer he noticed that he wasn't the only one up at this dark hour. Couldn't sleep either? The leading male called out as he drew closer to the spot where Saut had chosen to cleanse himself.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:59 pm

[359] Ugh, not my best post.

Saut slipped into the water with a deep sigh and decided to shift while his muscles were relaxed. Red clouded the hot shallows as his physical form became something grotesque, and then familiar. The monochrome hybrid stretched his arms along the bank and leaned back so that only his ears and face remained dry. He sighed again.

Thoughts long-dormant began to filter their way into his vacant mind, and me made little effort to push them down. Saut looked at the blood around him and wondered at his lot in life. He'd been born unwelcome by both parents and he knew that, had his father not been of Inferni, he'd be unwelcome by his clanmates. Perhaps he was, and they were good at hiding it. He knew he should be doing everything possible to earn his keep, but Saut didn't know what to do. He was no fighter, nor was he skilled at animal care. He had some inkling that his father had been a healer at the time of his birth, so that path in life was blocked to him. The lean Sciens could wander, and it fit his rank – but what use was his meandering to the Aquila?

The sound of wings (Saut knew without looking that they were black) nearby brought the mopey Asylum out of his mind's depths and back into the world. He sat up and glared at the bird – undoubtedly the one at fault for several restless nights recently. “Go away and stop waking me up,” he growled. She bobbed her head and sidled a few steps closer.

“What?” she croaked in high speech. Saut bared his teeth and growled again.

“Go aw--” He jumped as the sandy-furred man trotted near. The raven ruffled her feathers and hopped to the side to watch the two canines. Grimacing, Saut swung his legs to the left so he could better see Cartier. “No. The raven keeps waking me up.” He paused to check that the blood was mostly gone from his fur. “Will you tell it to go away? I don't think it understands me.”

POSTED: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:04 pm

303 Words

As he drew near to the hot springs Cartier shifted forms so that he could ease his body into the heated water. Once he had hands once more he found it easier to lower himself into the water in such a way so as not to disturb the male whom had already claimed a portion of the water. Cartier sought to settle him on the side away from Saut so as not to impede upon the other's space.

A sigh escaped his lips as his eyes eased closed. He sank deeper into the water as he enjoyed the warmth that now encased him. It was a rare moment when Cartier would actually choose to relax. He was typically on the go all of the time that for him to actually be at rest was an odd sight in itself.

He spoke to the bird in Low Speech and told it to go away. He then repeated the sounds again for Saut's benefit. You try it. He encouraged the other male to try and mimic the sounds so that he would be able to communicate with the ravens as well, even if it was only to be able to tell them to go away. I can teach you more if you want. I'm still learning myself but Stark is a great teacher. The hardest part is getting the sounds just right. Cartier had messed up the sounds on more than one occasion. He had thought that he had been saying one thing when he had been saying something entirely different, at least Stark had been kind enough to correct. Though that came after Cartier had already made a fool of himself. Stark had been kinda enough not to mock him but he couldn't say the same for the other birds.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 am

Saut scooted over to make room for the Centurion, though there was really space enough for many provided they did not mind physical closeness. Warm sights watched as Cartier seemed to melt into the warm pool, and it occurred to the young Asylum that could not remember ever seeing the man sit down.

The raven perked at the Luperci's “words,” and sidled another foot or so away from them but did not take off as Saut hoped she would. He frowned and propped himself up on his elbows. The strange, guttural sounds of the ravens' Low Speech didn't come naturally, and he felt slightly foolish uttering it, besides. Yet the dark bird again responded to his rudimentary pronunciation and raised her beak to give him a look that he thought might be one of humor, but the Sciens couldn't really tell. She crrked softly and hopped onto a rock near the periphery of the pool. “No.”

“Ugh,” the monochrome hybrid growled as he turned back to the sandy-hued man, but he didn't feel like getting out of the pool to chase her -- yet. “Yeah, I would appreciate that.”

“Stark is Aunt Ves's raven, right?” he asked for the sake of asking, though he knew the answer. “He's the big one. I know one called Sheker, and Twinkle Toes -- she follows me around, sometimes.” She probably thought he was patrolling and joined him to be helpful, but she probably drastically overestimated Saut's motivation. When he patrolled, it was either because someone told him to or because he couldn't sleep. The latter occurred most frequently.

Saut sat up in the water and wrung out his hair. “Is there a raven that follows you around, Cartier?”

Dead Topics