learning without thought is labor lost

POSTED: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am

Mornings after rainfall were the most pleasant, especially on days like this where a western breeze carried the smell of saltwater and wild grasses. Antioch had overslept, woken in the middle of the night by one of his son's kicking nightmares. They did not occur as often these days, but the fact remained that they – like the scars on his back – would likely never leave.

Antioch hated that wolf, and was glad she was dead. If he had it in his power, he remove all trace of her people from the earth.

Omar was gone by the time he had woken, and from the note he had scrawled in the dust (a sloppy three letters and pictogram that might have been a house) his destination was Versace. This suited Antioch well enough, for he did not think it proper to coddle a practically-grown yearling like Omar. His mother would, of course, and appreciate the help with their younger two. She was very good at dropping hints to the sort that they should all live together, but Antioch was as stubborn as she was and refused to leave the caves. At an impasse, their pseudo-separation remained.

The morning was still cool enough that Antioch took to hunting, and chased down a fat groundhog who had miscalculated the distance back to its den. Scout joined him not long after, chiding the Bellator for his tardiness but accepting the juicy parts of the kill nevertheless. They discussed their planned patrol and finished, leaving behind the scraps for insects and other scavengers.

Their route took them northwest, skirting the shoreline in favor of the skull-lined borders. The Bellator sniffed here and there, made note of pikes which were beginning to show signs of decay, and found little of interest. By then the sun was high, and Antioch was feeling the heat on his back. He commented as much to Scout, who agreed to take a brief rest...though his choice was one Antioch met with reluctance, swarmed as he was by the adolescent birds demanding food he had not brought. They complained about this even after he had settled in a shady patch of cool dirt, with one going so far as to tug on his tail before flying off at the responding teeth.

Antioch grumbled about this and lay down, panting.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
signature art by Songbird
Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
Luperci Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes Chaos Star
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Word Count → 427 :: ooc goes here

Feldspar had never been the brightest raven among the murder of ravens back in Inferni. She'd known that when Vesper showed him to her. He'd been content teaming up with Fang simply because she had had food with her at the time, been even more content later on to remain with her since she fed him well and let him take trinkets back with him that were of no use to her. In return, she had taught him everything she knew about scouting on the ground. Fang had always been a half-way decent patrol. She never missed a day unless she was outside of the pack.

Other days, she let herself venture further from the paths she was used to taking to the roads and twining paths that could have been dangerous if crossed by others. Some bits of this knowledge had gone a long way in showing the young raven what it needed to do. And a partner he had become. This morning, it had not really surprised her that she couldn't find him in his usual haunt right outside the caverns.

There were often days when he met her later into her patrols. These days, he earned half of her kill, usually a rat or a field mouse since she mostly ate while on the move, only to wolf down her food faster than she normally did.

Curious, if not just to figure out where he went when he didn't meet her there, the four legged, rose hued coy-dog had gone off in quiet search of her companion. The sun was high in the sky by the time she had finally decided to take a break from searching. She was close to the last place on her list of roosts that Feldspar could have chosen to remain at. Part of her knew he was there while another part of her hoped that he was patrolling, rather than sitting stagnant in a place known for having a regular supply of food.

When she got to the edge of the clearing, blue eyes found their target nestled in one of the larger trees encasing the area. Feldspar, catching sight of her, warbled, a milky film flitting over his eyes as he blinked down at her. It was only then that she saw the coy-hybrid laying beneath a tree close by, juvenile adolescent ravens plucking and grabbing at his tail. She inched closer, only stopping a short distance away, and greeted him with a quiet grunt. "Bellator," she managed quietly, letting her gaze flick toward her raven compatriot.

Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Magister I (NPC)
Dread
Luperci multiple Co-ranks

POSTED: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 pm

It seemed that anytime Antioch tried to nap, something came up – usually minor things, sometimes not – and he came to accept this as a fact of life. There was little time for him to get peace and quiet with three children and a wife to keep him busy, and if it wasn't one of his family it was Sophie, who hounded him like a second shadow.

He liked the scout. She was young enough to still have the attitude of an adolescent, but showed great maturity and sensibility despite this. In part he understood her reliance on others when it came to things like handling trespassers or otherwise nefarious figures was because she did not wish to become infected. Sophie was an oddity – one of the few non-Luperci he knew. This seemed very important to her, and so Antioch never questioned the matter.

The arrival of another coyote brought a second chorus of food in both tongues, and Antioch frowned and lifted his head.

Magister, he returned curtly, and shot a look over his shoulder as one of the younger birds made a feint towards him. Curling his tail towards his long legs, he looked back at Fang. What's got you out here?

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Word Count → 332 :: ooc goes here

It was not her intention to wake the Bellator or to interrupt his chance at taking a nap during his free time. She wasn't really here for him in the first place, more for the raven that hid amidst the juveniles that had found themselves prostrate in the warrior's shadow as he tried to sleep. Rather than feigning good intentions or even a smile, the ashen woman curled her tail slightly to keep from sitting on it the wrong way and then let herself settle on the ground, flattening out in a heavy stretch before radar ears turned in the direction of Antioch. "Feldspar failed to show up for our morning patrols. I figured he'd gotten himself in trouble," she answered piously before returning her attention to the birds once more.

Now that she was here, she felt no need to interrupt the scout bird. Here, among the juveniles, he may have been trying to steal the other's food but he was also teaching them valuable lessons of his own, though she seriously doubted that any of them were Feldspar's children. The bird wasn't that old and she doubted, seriously, that there was a female stupid enough to allow him even the slightest chance of being close.

"The birds seem to enjoy taunting the big, bad 'yote," she voiced, watching a fledgling make a play for Antioch's tail while his attention was focused on her. Momentarily, the same thing happened to her.

She felt the birds on her back before she felt beaks pricking and pulling at her fur. One quick loop around and a shuffle of teeth and a brief growl sent the birds scuttling back and Feldspar flying through the air to land on her back while she lay. Head turning half to the side, the raven croaked loudly. "Lazy! Lazy boss!" spoken in broken high speech before his wings shuffled and he launched himself back toward the trees, leaving Fang huffing loudly in response as she turned a glance back in the bellator's direction. "You?"

Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Magister I (NPC)
Dread

POSTED: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

The ravens were more annoying than puppies, and like the youth of the Clan, afforded the same sort of tolerance. Long before his birth an alliance had been formed, and it relied upon the mutual protection of both parties, winged and not. Antioch understood that this was an important thing, and so he endured the harassment to a point. He thought himself particularly lucky to work with Scout, who had less patience for the behavior than the Bellator and made his complaints apparent when a few adolescents came too close.

Patrol, he answered. It's getting hotter, so I thought we should take a break. After all, the sickness had hurt his body more because he had overworked than anything else. Rest was important, and he'd be damned if he had to deal with Sophie tattling on him again.

They like the company, I think, he went on, indicating the birds with his nose. While many of the ravens had begun hanging around, more (realizing they were not getting fed) had already cleared the area. Antioch supposed it was something to consider doing, but he had not come across any easy meals beyond his own and wished to conserve his energy. Even if some of them need to learn manners, Antioch added, shooting a glare towards a rather mouthy youth cawing insults to try and get the otherwise boring coyotes to do something.

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Word Count → 313 :: ooc goes here

Fang didn't get a lot of time to inspect the newer ravens. Some would die before they were ever of age, killed by their work for Inferni, by birds that were bigger or wildcats, bears or any other predator for that matter. Others would grow to be valuable assets to Inferni in the future. She wanted to learn their personalities from a young age. After all, like Vesper, she imagined that working with just one could get old, even if Feldspar lived to be a ripe age.

Training them seemed like an important job to her and she'd done well enough with Feldspar, depending on who was asked. She lazily turned to look at the Bellator again, absently nodding her head in agreement.

"As long as you're keeping safe," she said letting her shoulders shrug from her position before her head fell to rest on her paws. Feldspar took that chance to land on the ground closest to her, wings batting at the ground before he hobbled around with those large talons of his.

"They'll learn them soon enough. The older ravens will enforce it," she declared, glancing at some of the more stubborn youth who brazenly called out names and taunted the two coyotes. "Do you get enough time to check out the younger ravens very often?" she questioned lightly. Despite the fact that both seemed rather solemn creatures, at least in her mind, Fang didn't see any need in letting the conversation die, even if the other was trying to rest. Perhaps Elva's constant taunting and teasing and talking to her at the worst of times had rubbed off on Fang, though she seriously doubted it.

"I only ask because I might be partnering up with another soon and I figured it was best to adopt one of the young ones to avoid the chance of an older dying on me."

Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Magister I (NPC)
Dread

POSTED: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 pm

hello it is I, Captain Slowpants

He made a noise at her comment (a breathy scoff like an unruly child) and shifted his feet in the grass. It bothered him that he had been weak enough to succumb to illness when all manner of other things, like violence and war, had not managed to bring him down. His wife had berated him about taking it easy, frantic and worrisome to the point that she had been aggressive about such things.

I lost my mother that way, is what she told him. This he knew. He further knew that her concerns spread to her brother, and in a different manner to their children. Only Omar was working now, being of age to do so, but he showed little ambition beyond roaming the Waste and practicing with his bow. It helped that he was often appointed to sitter duties, a task which required one to be highly alert – Adina and Jethro were quick things and had a talent for slipping away even when being watched properly.

I've started to, he admitted, thinking it a secondary task. At least to make sure nothing's wrong here. If we see them along the way we sometimes bring them along, if Scout let's them.

As if summoned by his name, the black bird puffed out his chest and looked very self-important, strutting towards Antioch's tattooed arm.

You're right, anyway, the Bellator went on. You probably need one that can fly fast too. Maybe one that talks in our tongue, even a little – not everyone here understands them.

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Word Count → 360 :: ooc goes here

She was not a Lykoi or a de le Poer or any other families that were connected to the family of hybrids and coyotes. She was a Cenizan coydog whose only markings were those she put upon herself and the one that was left by a male in her younger years. Blue eyes quietly traced the outline of the marking on his arm and she did so shamelessly for she did not feel the same way regarding males as she did females and she definitely felt nothing in regards to Antioch other than what was necessary for two figures of their standing within the coyote clan of Inferni.

Her attentions only moved toward the juvenile flock of ravens a short moment later since she heard one moving in their direction. This one, though, turned out to be the Bellator's own and she quietly regarded it with nothing more than a heavy sigh and an opportunistic frown.

He was right in so many ways regarding both their flight capabilities and their speech. Feldspar could speak broken high speech and even then, she still found herself incapable of understanding everything he said when they were on hunts or scouting the borders for intruders or weaknesses in the scent markings and skulls that lay there. In the mean time, however, the constant exposure to the low language of the other ravens she came in contact with and in Feldspar himself had taught her at least some small things when it came to the low speech that she still didn't see herself devoting all of her time to in the near future.

"Could you point out a good prospect?" she questioned, one paw maneuvering itself over her other so that she could steal a glance in their directions with a sharp turn of her head and a shift of her body, her tail lightly weaving a path behind her despite the cawing response of one or two of the smaller ravens who took notice and dove toward her and it, only to be gently swept to the side by thick fur and its strong presence.

"Only one has caught my attention as of late. Alban. He can be odd but he's only got low speech and he isn't very affectionate."

Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Magister I (NPC)
Dread

POSTED: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am

Oh him, yeah, the Bellator recalled the raven, if only for his habit of placing things in strange orders. Having once ruined a line of nondescript, uninteresting sticks left in the dirt, Antioch had felt the brunt of the young bird's temper. If you don't mind that, he's all right. I don't think he'll pick up on too much of our speech if he hasn't yet, the coyote said, and shrugged. He wasn't certain of this, but it seemed that those who hadn't learned bits and pieces of their language early were less inclined to do so.

Delia can talk a little, he informed the Magister, and at the name Scout offered his own comments – croaking about the young female's attitude – and pecked at a loose piece of fur on Antioch's shoulder. The Bellator nodded a little and stretched out his long legs, and vocalized his agreements. Yeah, she can be difficult sometimes. She works hard. We've taken her with us on patrols before.

Antioch considered the flock, though he stared into the trees blankly and didn't really look at anything at all. Benji is fast, he added after a moment. He doesn't talk either, though, so that won't really help you.

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Word Count → 350 :: Can end with your post or archive here. :)

Fang listened to the Bellator speak rather than jumping in to interject as someone younger may have as he went through each of the ravens and gave his opinion on them. It did not escape her ears that he had good things to say regarding the second of the three juvenile ravens that Fang had seen flying about, both the raven, Scout, and Antioch but she also wanted to learn more about the ravens herself before she finally gave herself the kick she needed to truly make a decision. Because they would also have to get along with Feldspar and she knew that sometimes that could be tough depending on the birds themselves.

She knew enough about birds to know that sometimes, like canines, they easily bonded with one individual while not much liking another. She had not really interacted much with Delia, while hanging around Alban had been relatively easy considering she didn't knock over the strangely placed sticks or small piles of stones that usually told where the raven was or where he had been.

He had also not really given her much trouble when she had tried to feed him but that did not fully make up her mind regarding him. Most ravens came when the promise of food was offered, except for those that had just eaten or those who did not trust the canine who approached with the food.

In the end, she needed to give all of them a chance, though the very last of the three, Benji, did not speak the same tongue and Fang did not feel that she knew the low speech of ravens well enough to communicate, even if she was trying to teach them about scouting. She took him off the list of potential partners right away.

She rose up to all fours, legs stretching far in front of her before she did the same with her back legs and quietly glanced over her shoulders toward the woods. "I'll keep what you have said in mind when I decide to choose. I'll leave you to your nap, Antioch," she managed as she half-turned in that direction and began marching away.

Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Magister I (NPC)
Dread

Dead Topics